Posted 29 January

Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus: release date and new features detailed

Team NINJA has just unveiled new details for Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus, the highly anticipated sequel to its PlayStation Vita launch title which is set for a 1st March 2013 release across Europe. Today, I would like to share some of the new features we have included in the PlayStation Vita version.

Stunning graphics, new modes, more blood…
Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus brings the most intense, action-packed ninja adventure to PS Vita with stunning graphics, new modes, and plenty of blood. In the game, iconic super ninja Ryu Hayabusa returns to the Sigma series to prevent the resurrection of the evil Archfiend by hunting down the Demon Statue stolen by the wicked Black Spider Ninja Clan.

Players will battle from Tokyo to New York as Ryu encounters vicious enemies while building an awesome arsenal of ninja weaponry. The action lights up the Vita’s OLED screen with upgraded graphics and the game features an all-star cast featuring signature characters from previous installments.

An intuitive control system uses the front and rear touch screens and motion controls of the PS Vita to give players full control and the powerful “Hero” play style automatically engages when the player is low on health.

Ninja Race

In the all new “Ninja Race” mode, a slow ninja is a dead ninja as players race through dynamic courses to beat the clock. After choosing a character, level, and costume, players can strategically choose to dash through the course or viciously kill as many enemies as possible to earn boosts and points.

The mode’s Combo Kill counter increases as foes are dispatched in sequence – the higher the counter, the more damage is dealt as long as the gauge stays filled. Three special essences, exclusive to the Ninja Race mode, boost the player’s chance of a successful mission: Green Essence adds time to the clock, White Essence boosts the Combo Kill counter for added damage, and Purple Essence grants Ninja Speed.

Tag Missions

“Tag Missions” provides an exciting new way to combine the complementary strengths of any two characters. Players can switch between team members in real time as they try to complete challenges, with the other team member under AI control.

With each fighter having different strengths and weaknesses, players can strategically tag back and forth when facing different opponents and situations by pressing down on the directional pad.

Weapon upgrades

Ryu Hayabusa’s attacks can be enhanced with powerful weapons including “Emma’s Fang”, a massive sword that can decimate foes with slow but powerful swings. Legendary tales say the fearsome blade grows even stronger when it becomes bloodied. Worn on the hands and feet, “Falcon’s Talons” can quickly cut enemies to pieces with special attacks including the Izuna Drop and the sliding, leg-cutting Thunderous Attack. Steel-reinforced hardwood “Tonfas”, which can be swung from both hands to brutally crush enemies with their special Heavenly Justice combo, provide another option for mass destruction.

More costumes

Last but not least, those who pre-order Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus will receive DLC including unique, limited edition costumes for the female warriors Ayane, Rachel, and Momiji. Ranging from Ayane’s light armor to Rachel’s seductively spiky dress revealing her demon blood, the costumes are designed for both action and style.

That’s all for now. Check out the new trailer below and if you have any questions, please ask away!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

45 Comments 22 Author replies
Show oldest first

FalleN-AnJeL 29 January, 2013 @ 2:09 pm   1

Perfect News!
If the final Price Confirm please let us know!

Chin Soon Sun 29 January, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

Hi, it would be £34.99 SRP (retail), not sure about the price for download yet but we will confirm.

Hey Chin, can you tell us what will be the price for this game?

I also have another question, can you confirm if you can remove enemy parts (i think you know what i mean, just don’t want to use that word, maybe it’s not allowed for some reason)?

Chin Soon Sun 29 January, 2013 @ 2:50 pm

Dismemberment. Yes, this will be included in the game, with more blood too!

turbogeek421 29 January, 2013 @ 2:14 pm   3

Hasn’t this just been announced as part of PS+ in the US? Hopefully, we’ll get the same treatment in the UK at some point ;)

Chin Soon Sun 30 January, 2013 @ 10:44 am

Oh that’s Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, not Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 Plus. However, it’s in US only though. I’ll let the team know about your voice.

XDerKleineX 29 January, 2013 @ 2:19 pm   4

@turbogeek421 No, the US is getting the first NGS+ for free this week, not the second. I hope we do too!

Chin Soon Sun 29 January, 2013 @ 2:51 pm

You got it. Thanks for the explanation. For the EU, not at the moment unfortunately.

kurdt_the_goat 29 January, 2013 @ 2:20 pm   5

Have they managed to hit 60fps for this, like they did for DOA5+?

Could you pls answer following questions?

1. Are the tests of valor beck in game?
2. Does the game has ultimate ninja difficulty for the story mode?
3. Any new team missions? NGS2 on PS3 had 35 missions.
4. Will the uncensored NGS2+ version be released in germany?
5. Are the solo missions back?

Thanks

Chin Soon Sun 30 January, 2013 @ 10:47 am

It would be similar with NGS2 but with more modes and dismemberment.

Regarding the team missions, it’s also 35 missions as the PS3 version.

Regarding Germany, this is yet to be confirmed.

chrisboers 29 January, 2013 @ 2:31 pm   7

Looks great, and is going to be a great asset to the Vita library. Is this game going to be just as difficult as its PS3/Vita predecessors, and if so, is there going to be a ‘girlfriend’ (see Borderlands 2) mode?

I know it’s not going to be for March, but if you can discuss it, is part one going to be part of the PS Plus offering any time soon?

Thanks for this informative post, including the very soon release date :-) Nice surprise!

#3
That’s Ninja Gaiden Sigma +. This is the sequel.

Any chance we in europe will get the first game for ps+?(March)

Chin Soon Sun 29 January, 2013 @ 2:57 pm   9

Hi guys, I have passed some of the questions to Team Ninja development team to make sure I’m 100% right. I will reply back to you guys as soon as possible when I receive their confirmation.

Thank you.

I loved this game on PS3.
As like others have asked any chance of the first game getting on PS+ in eu

anunnakid 29 January, 2013 @ 3:40 pm   11

Oh yeah! Getting this!

KillaT2501 29 January, 2013 @ 3:40 pm   12

Gutted we didn’t get the first next month on Plus.

glasgowdave 29 January, 2013 @ 3:49 pm   13

Will probably get this as a download when it comes out, never played any other Ninja Gaiden games but need a good slashing game on my Vita.

XnoobsquadX 29 January, 2013 @ 4:07 pm   14

Thank you team ninja<3. I only ever played ninja gaiden on xbox so this is a welcome port for my vita absolutly love your games keep up the good work!

ps. any chance for some info on Doa5+? :P

GoddessYurlee 29 January, 2013 @ 4:19 pm   15

Ok i live in germany i preoder it but amazon email like a week say of the verison u choonce wont be avilbe and canels my order and the only verison avilbe is the pegi verison for preorder…….. and now i look around for germany copy to preoder noth so what it jsut the pegi verison for all over the EU? please help

A_Nonny_Moose 29 January, 2013 @ 4:42 pm   16

£35? That’s out of my price range, which is a major shame. The first one was £30, which was just right.

Will this be 30fps or 60fps?

Chin Soon Sun 29 January, 2013 @ 4:52 pm

It’s the SRP it’s not the guarantee price. It’s the same price as the first NGSP so you might be getting it – depends on the retailers/stores.

Chin Soon Sun 29 January, 2013 @ 4:53 pm

As we don’t control the price on what other retailers would sell it for so keep an eye on the price.

Thanks for reply Chin, sounds way too good =)

Can you tell us the price in Euros please?

Lord_Gremlin 29 January, 2013 @ 5:00 pm   18

Aaaah! Dismemberment is back in! God bless you! Just take my money and gimmeGIMMEGIMME! I want this now!
Is there a collectors edition? All joking aside bloody limbs flying are back which means I’m forking over as much cash as I’m asked as soon as it’s available here in Moscow.
First game I have US uncensored version on PS3 and an asian copy on Vita (censored but with Japanese voices). Vita port is a solid job, too bad all versions except US are censored and US one missing proper (Japanese) voices. Can you please tell us if Japanese voices are included in EU version?

Chin Soon Sun 30 January, 2013 @ 10:48 am

There’s no Collector’s Edition but we will have pre-order incentives (more costumes) for the most retailers.

Japanese voice option – yes.

A_Nonny_Moose 29 January, 2013 @ 5:04 pm   19

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus was £30 on the Playstation Network Store on release. If the RRP was £35 and Sony decided to sell it for £30 then good on them and I hope they do it this time around too.

Chin Soon Sun 30 January, 2013 @ 10:49 am

Oh the price I gave you is SRP it’s the retail price on the street that might not be guaranteed.

The digital version price, I’m not sure yet but we believe it would be similar than the first one.

uk-kurorai 29 January, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   20

Hi Chin, glad to hear from you again. Could you please confirm whether the uncensored US/EU version (except Germany, of course) includes Japanese voices? The PS3 version did include Japanese voices.

@GoddessYurlee
Germany won’t receive the uncensored version, sorry.
In Deutschland wird es leider die unzensierte Version nicht geben, weil es von der USK nicht freigegeben wurde.

LeChuckie 29 January, 2013 @ 6:31 pm   21

Just to add that I would love to see the first game on the plus service.

Ryuzaki57 29 January, 2013 @ 6:43 pm   22

So, about Kasumi… any reason why she wouldn’t be in this game? It’s “+” right, so I do expect her in it especially since you offered her to an unreceptive audience.

heptaHydrate 29 January, 2013 @ 6:58 pm   23

Hey. I am not very familiar with the Ninja Gaiden universe so could someone please clarify, is this an enhanced version of the original Ninja Gaiden or Ninja Gaiden 2? Or in other words, does this game have any similarities to Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, or is it a totally different game in terms of the story?

heptaHydrate 29 January, 2013 @ 7:16 pm   24

Well, I just looked up the answer to my own question, so ignore the above post. However, you who have played both games, which one do you prefer?

EternalChaos72 29 January, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   25

can we get PSN avatars for this game?

lool £35 for a port of a old ps3 game is disgusting, if u go one post up you will see hitman hd collection selling for £20. I know its a different genre and console but if i were to chose between 3 hd remakes for £20 or 1 port for £35 which one should i chose. God no wonder the vitas selling so badly

Chin Soon Sun 30 January, 2013 @ 10:53 am

If you read above, it’s a SRP as it’s not a guarantee price, as we have no control on what price other retailers would like to sell.

As for the digital version, this price isn’t set yet.

MP_is_for_Chumps 29 January, 2013 @ 10:53 pm   27

I dont have a Vita but wow, i love that new costume for Rachel! Would be awesome if we could buy it for the PS3 version :D

@ Ryuzaki57

I won’t worry too much about Kasumi – i’m pretty sure Ninja Gaiden Sigma 3 is already unofficially confirmed for PS3/360 sometime later this year ;)

Gammelprut 29 January, 2013 @ 11:07 pm   28

Amazing! This is awesome.

Thank you to the team for you support and dedication to giving us Vita users great games! I thoroughly enjoyed Sigma 1 plus!

Lord_Gremlin 29 January, 2013 @ 11:09 pm   29

@heptaHydrate Well, in my humble opinion the best game in the series is Ninja Gaiden Sigma on PS3, US uncensored version. It’s extremely polished, slick game, very rewarding if you manage to master it with just enough violence to feel really good – impressive combos taking heads off and those heads rolling around – but not so much that it gets dull. You have to work hard to get those decapitations and come out unharmed.
Ninja Gaiden 2 and Sigma 2.. Well, the one on 360 suffer from horrible framerate issues and stupidly cheap bosses. NGS2 is a tad better – as in not as cheap and runs fine, but stupid censorship made it look dumb and a lot of really cheap stuff is still there. The game in question is the third attempt and all things considered one can expect a really good one.

MoonlitBlossom 30 January, 2013 @ 1:08 am   30

Any sign of Kasumi being in it as a playable character? I figured maybe that it’d motivate someone who is a big fan of her and has wanted to play as her in a NG game for years. I know there’s the NG3RZ for the WiiU but a lot of us don’t have that system, so this brings me to my next question… Will the Kasumi DLC (That is available for NG3 Razor’s Edge) be available for Ninja Gaiden 3 for the PS3 and 360 itself?

ZERO-REPLOID 30 January, 2013 @ 4:02 am   31

The preorder DLC is exclusive for any store?.

gravegostone 30 January, 2013 @ 7:42 am   32

ohohohohohoh YYYEEEAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!! this is exacto why I bought a ps VITA!!!! cant wait !!!!! hope that finaly part 3 will drop on it 2!!!! great newz and Thankz TECMO-KOEI-SONY! more of thiese please!!!!!

Panos_GRE 30 January, 2013 @ 9:05 am   33

Hi Chin,

I just want to express my gratitude and congratulate Tecmo Koei and Team Ninja for supporting the PS Vita in the way that you do.
Your ports are amazing and they seem to utilize the Vita’s hardware to bring us great graphics quality, good and steady framerate and overall products with great production value, unlike most 3rd party developers. I am looking forward to this and DOA 5 Plus.

Please consider giving us free costumes for the games instead of DLC :)

£25 on preorder with Sopto for anybody that is interested.

Already got two versions of this game so gonna pass for now.

*Shopto

Thx for the answers. Are there more modes, beside team missions, tag team and ninja race? Decription on german amazon says that some older modes are returning.

uk-kurorai 30 January, 2013 @ 2:12 pm   37

Hi Chin, thanks again for the reply. Many thanks for the support and as Japanese voices are included this is a definite d1p. NGS+ is awesome on Vita and I’m still working on the Platinum. Sigma 2 is a vastly superior game and it’s made even more awesome on Vita. Can’t wait. Thanks for your support of Vita, it’s the best handheld I’ve ever had the pleasure of owning.

I’d like to end with a direct quote of the Japanese Platinum of NGS+ as it perfectly describes Team Ninja’s Vita ports:
凄すぎて、何が悪い! (Sugosugite, nani ga warui! – What’s wrong with being too awesome!)

Chin Soon Sun 30 January, 2013 @ 2:54 pm

I love this! Thank you for your appreciation man I will definitely pass this to Team NINJA.

A_Nonny_Moose 30 January, 2013 @ 4:07 pm   38

Will the pre-order offers also be available to those who download the game from the PSN Store?

OmegaZero663 30 January, 2013 @ 8:14 pm   39

I’m looking forward to this very much! Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus was so fun that I Platinumed it.
I do have a very important question (for me at least) that I’ve noticed hasn’t been addressed:

Will this run at 30fps?

Several of my friends are hardcore NG fans, and if this game is 30fps like Sigma Plus, they won’t be purchasing it. :/

Looking forward to playing this next month!

uk-kurorai 31 January, 2013 @ 9:26 am   40

@39 it will most likely run at 30fps and it’s your “hardcore NG fans’” loss if they ditch the enhanced version over this minor detail. NGS+ running at 30fps is perfectly fine as it’s v-synced, meaning controller response remains consistent from start to finish and there’s no screen-tearing at all.

OmegaZero663 31 January, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   41

@40 In my opinion, there is a large difference between 30 and 60fps when it comes to action, racing, and fighting games. That being said, I personally don’t mind 30fps at all.
I just want to be able to play local co-op with my friends, and they probably wont get it if this runs at 30fps. :/
Assuming this has co-op, like Sigma 2.

OmegaZero663 31 January, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   42

A though just occurred to me:
This Tag Mission thing couldn’t be replacing the co-op, could it?
If so, that is a major bummer as that was my favorite feature of Sigma 2 (ignoring the netcode issues).

Headcrash77 3 February, 2013 @ 9:31 pm   43

IF you can answer, ive got a few questions:

1.Will the speed of the game be fixed from Sigma 2 to match closer to the 360 version of NG2?

2.Will the Windmill Shuriken be brought back?

3.Will you be adding the NG3 costume like Sigma+? (but perhaps WITHOUT the red arm)

4. I noticed one of the Costume Icons in some screenshots that looks like your adding the “Hayabusa” DOA costume that was in Ninja Gaiden BLACK, (where he has a gold headband and spiky hair) is this correct?

5. Will the costumes be viewable in the Cut-scenes this time?

6. Will the Missions also have ONLINE play? instead of Solo tag missions with an AI partner.

7. Will there be Solo missions with just ONE player and no AI?

8. Will you be doing the Pre-Order Bonus costumes with Amazon.co.uk for the UK?

Thanks, and i am really looking forward to playing NG2 portable.

A_Nonny_Moose 27 February, 2013 @ 4:25 am   44

Okay, a reply at this stage is incredibly unlikely, but Chin Soon Sun confirmed in the replies here that there was a Japanese voice option. However, early reports from the US suggest there isn’t one. Why?

Yes sadly no Japanese Voice option, we were all riped off on this,
i cant enjoy this game properly with a dubbed game
and from what i hear its even an horrible Dub too,
why not keep japanese audio instead? i regret my pre order on this game since they lied to me, seriously very very sad.

I demand a patch to include japanese audio…