Posted 30 January

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City out today on PSN

VC banner

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, the story of one man’s rise to the top of the criminal pile, is now available to download from PlayStation Store for $9.99/€9.99/£7.99 as part of the PS2 Classics collection.

That’s the original game in digital form, and to complete the nostalgia, we’ve made the map that was originally packed in the game box available as a hi-res jpeg for you to print out and peruse next time you’re lost in Little Havana. We’ve also got the maps for GTAIII and San Andreas, both of which are already available to download from PS Store.

Ten years have passed since Vice City was originally released on PlayStation 2 and over at the Rockstar Newswire we’ve been casting an eye back and celebrating that anniversary with a series of features and never-before-released peeks behind the digital curtain of the game’s development.

One of these was a three-part series of interactive Flash features showcasing the game’s Animation, Sound and City Design. ‘The Lab’, as the series is known, was originally exhibited at London’s Design Museum when they nominated the game for their ‘biggest contribution to design in 2002′ award. This is the first time it has been made widely available online.

Click on the images below to check them out, but bear in mind they’re Flash so they may not work if you’re reading this on mobile.

We hope you enjoy revisiting Vice City on PS3 and look out for more classic Rockstar titles arriving on PSN in the next few weeks.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

30 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Diablo_Rosso 30 January, 2013 @ 4:14 pm   1

If the original soundtrack still intact? I know the iOS/Android version has songs missing.

nice that this is on the store as its my fav gta.

i just wish you could bring out the anniversary edition thats out on ios and android for the vita so i could play it on the go, and if you could do that at the same price point to boot £2.99 then its win win :)

If the Vita had PS2 games I’d buy this and all the other PS2 GTA’s on PSN in a heartbeat. The fact is if I want to play these games on console I’ll just turn on my PS2. But to be able to play these games on a handheld? I’d ask you to shut up and take my money. Just something to think about, Sony. I’m surely not the only one that thinks like this. If you somehow manage to get PS2 games on the Vita you’ll make money. You like money, right?

As with San Andreas and GTA 3, for this price I would only buy if it had trophies as I have all GTA games on PS1/PS2.

AaronSOLDIER 30 January, 2013 @ 4:29 pm   5

I want to know if all the songs are intact too, if not I’ll stick with the disc, I’ve rebought all the others on PSN though.

PS2 games really need to have cross-buy or at least be available on the Vita, but I am sure this is something you are looking at. It must be – it’s a no brainer.

Classic game but with that price there are many others to buy until it drops in price.

The PS+ discounts have been very poor lately often less than £1 and mostly just pennies.

supersmith2500 30 January, 2013 @ 4:31 pm   8

This is awesome, you know Rockstar if you get the chance. Please make GTA for the Vita and I would love to see that and would help the Vita sales too. GTAIV was a great success and hopefully GTAV will be too.

Also, you guys have got competition, because Square’s Sleeping Dogs (which is Feb’s GOTM for Plus) is also a great game as well but I think GTA is more fun and has more great features. But still, GTA is an awesome franchise. Keep this up Rockstar. ^^

you have been good at adding old games to the store lately. good job Ps store! good job! keep it up, or else..

KillaT2501 30 January, 2013 @ 4:44 pm   10

GTA VITA I would buy day one

PS2 VITA I would buy day one

bennyrafal 30 January, 2013 @ 4:46 pm   11

Got it on PC, for about 5E in a box from bargain bin… half a year ago.

LordAzeroth 30 January, 2013 @ 4:50 pm   12

Is anyone know why Ratchet and Clank: Q-force for Vita is not comming this week? No body informed us about it, but date has been moved on begin of February even if they ensured us it will come out in January.

Mon-Da-Hoops 30 January, 2013 @ 4:53 pm   13

Shame there not HD remakes, you’d make a fortune off them

AaronSOLDIER 30 January, 2013 @ 4:54 pm   14

@11 I got the original PS2 Black Label version 10 years ago on release day…

When will you people learn. if you include trophies your sales will be multiplied.
its not that much trouble considering how much more money you will make.
make it a hd remake and your sales will be multiplied again.

n-y-n-e-u 30 January, 2013 @ 7:38 pm   16

I don’t own a ps3. I’d buy this instantly if it was available for Vita.

A3RO_DYNAMIK 30 January, 2013 @ 7:48 pm   17

Any chance of a GTA trilogy pack for a discounted price if you buy all three of the PS2 classic versions?

hd version + trophies one vice -sant andreas = instand buy

easily my favourite GTA but I don’t feel like buying again unless we get a HD remake, ideally on Vita! come on R* make it happen!

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 30 January, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   20

Get these on Vita!
Either that or somebody please make and advertise a petition aimed at Rockstar to bring the IOS GRAND THEFT AUTO games to the Vita! It NEEDS to be done!

andrewsqual 30 January, 2013 @ 8:47 pm   21

For all the people saying trophies are easy to implement onto an untouched PS2 game, kill yourself.
What I can’t wait for is the inevitable HD remake of the 3 games on next gen consoles at the end of 2014 in full 1080p and 3D for the 10th anniversary of GTA San Andreas.
You know you wanna Rockstar. Hint* give it to Bluepoint Games, they are the geniuses of HD ports.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 30 January, 2013 @ 8:53 pm   22

Update:
Please sign/share this petition to help try and get these games on the Vita in HD.

supersmith2500 30 January, 2013 @ 9:13 pm   23

@23:
SIGNED! Yes, a GTA on Vita would be perfect.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 30 January, 2013 @ 9:16 pm   24

@24
Thanks, please be sure to share this with your friends, there is no way we can do this alone.

CoolRichy008UK 31 January, 2013 @ 11:15 am   25

Diablo_Rosso the andriod gta songs thingy DO NOT HAVE SONGS MISSSING YOU JUST downloaded the wrong version

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX they wont add the games to vita because they already had them on psp episodes from vice stories and and lib stories but il sign it just to make you vita owners happy :P

AlexAtkinUK 31 January, 2013 @ 11:42 am   26

There is no reason not to have them on Vita as it should be fairly simple to port the Android/iOS versions over – its the same hardware.

I bought GTA III on Android but found it totally impossible to play with only a touch screen. I would definitely pick it up again on PS Vita, although more so Vice City as it was my favourite.

Grant_1025 1 February, 2013 @ 12:31 am   27

what a game!!

Grant_1025 1 February, 2013 @ 12:31 am   28

what a game?

quidditys_shore 1 February, 2013 @ 12:40 pm   29

Another to the vita request list!

I see no point in buying this game without hd & trophies. Even with I’d only buy if in the sale.
I’d have bought straight away if it was on the vita!!!!

CountChoculitis1 7 February, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   30

I noticed some of the songs are missing and in the wrong station compared to the original disc. I am disappoint, considering this is one of my all time favorites :’(