Posted 12:00pm

Classic game soundtracks coming soon to Music Unlimited

New Picture (5)

Good morning PS Blog loyalists! Music Unlimited here, the 18 million-song-strong behemoth wired direct to your PlayStation.

It’s been a while, but with the amount of changes coming to the service in the next 12 months (yep, we’ve heard your requests), we’re going to be posting bi-weekly from now on to keep you up to date with the many delights that are lurking around the corner.

After a sluggish January for us all, February has truly kick-started us back into gear as we excitedly announce the first of many additional features: the Game Music channel.

Available later this month, it will feature an archive of game soundtracks, from massive blockbusters to cult classics of years gone by, including Assassins Creed, Silent Hill, Prince of Persia, Final Fantasy, Castlevania and R-Type among others. Excited is an understatement.

GameMusic_PrimaryIcon

Game Music is joined by a host of new sub-genre channels including Old School Hip-Hop, Classic Rock and New Wave amongst others, live early February.

As you know, the MU catalogue updates daily so we wanted to ask you, if you could choose a soundtrack from any game to join our new Game Music channel, what would it be?

Elsewhere, we’ve got a really busy month as we’ll be interviewing Tegan and Sara on the 8th February as well as up and coming bands Wild Swim, Duologue and the awesome Josephine on the 22nd.

If you haven’t heard them, we suggest checking them out on the service now, and if there are any questions you’d like us to ask them on your behalf, we’ll gladly put them on the spot. Apparently Duologue boast some serious PS3 prowess, and Josephine can nail a 10-hit combo on Tekken Tag Tournament 2 quicker than you can hit the Start button. We’ve been warned.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

64 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
infoxicated 5 February, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   1

I’d love to see the TimeSplitters and Ace Combat soundtracks on MU. :)

This is a genius idea! I hope Music Unlimited gets better and better, I also love to see that channels like House & Dance get more songs, because the are repeating over and over.

So many- Sonic the Hedgehog, Toejam and Earl 1 and 2, Metal Gear Solid 1-4, Final Fantasy 7, Resident Evil 1 and 2, Uncharted 1-3, Journey… I could go on and on. If I had to pick just one I’d say the first Resident Evil game from the PS1.

Matt Webster 5 February, 2013 @ 12:18 pm

All great suggestions (and great games), we’ve been scratching our heads with this one and we’re hoping to include more and more as time goes on. I must say Toejam and Earl is pure genius!

You can put whatever you like on there, but until you can actually log into Music Unlimited it doesn’t make a blind bit of difference. Since the Android app was updated a few days ago, no one I know can log in any more.

Also just to add, i’ve been unable to use MU all morning, keep getting the following message- a connection to the server could not be established. This app will close. All I want to do is play the music I have offline on the phone. Iv got months left on my membership, am connected to the internet and all other apps are working fine. Also tried resetting my phone which hasn’t fixed it. Phone is a HTC 3D Evo by the way. Please can someone look into this or pass on to the relevant team. Thanks :-)

Thanks for the response, and I’d be so happy if any of them are put on MU. Yes Toejam and Earl is a classic.

JimboBagginz 5 February, 2013 @ 12:29 pm   7

How about the Skyrim soundtrack? The 5 disc version, only available in the US.I’d never leave my front room for about five hours.

Killer 7 had an amazing soundtrack, and the Chris Vrenna Doom 3 OST would be good as well. Maybe Fallout 3? I tend to buy the slightly more expensive versions of the game if they give away the soundtrack. Still disappointed that the tinkling music of the title screen for Digeaea wasn’t on the disc.

The special editions of the soundtracks would be good, the ones you salivate over on ebay that they are charging more money for than the games themselves cost.

homerthegreat 5 February, 2013 @ 12:32 pm   8

You know, I was thinking the other day that MU should have game soundtracks :P Awesomesauce!

You already have some great game tracks in there (even some rare Chris Huelsbeck albums), and I can only hope this grows into something very fine.

But any game soundtrack.. ?
that would be a random selection of either Turrican(Amiga), Xenon(ST) Outrun(Arcade), or Commando(C64)..

But to have a dedicated New-Wave channel is even better news to me :D
Now if only you’d add Gothic-Industrial channel (or even separate) I’d be over the moon. (I now manage by creating on the fly channels from selected artists)

Awesome! I contacted Music Unlimited support last year, about the lack of game soundtracks (especially first party soundtracks. Please add the Echochrome OSTs too, they belong to the best classical video game pieces ever!)

Looking forward to the game soundtracks :)

CoolRichy008UK 5 February, 2013 @ 12:44 pm   11

Matt Webster i got 3 great game idea’s for the ps3 store

1. Little inferno – its a very good pc game fromt he same people that made world of Goo – very adictive game and would be great if it gets added to the ps3 store and ps vita (that game would do well on the VITA and ps3 ;)

2. euro truck simulator2 – yes i know its a pc trucking game but it would work on the ps3 because i used my ps3/pc controller on the pc version and it works great i should know i drivin over 1100 miles just to deliver suplys for £74.000 without crashing my truck

3 Bus Driver – a game where you pick up passengers and take them to the next bus stop its a very good puzzling game

i know that farming simulator 2013 is hitting the hay in march i think more pc games would do great on the ps3 especially little inferno

hope you Matt Webster will look into bringing little inferno euro truck simulator 2 and more pc games to the ps3 store before everyone gets a ps4

Silent_Gig 5 February, 2013 @ 12:46 pm   12

If you dont put Heavy Rain’s soundtrack on there then i aint buying!

amberswood 5 February, 2013 @ 12:47 pm   13

dont bother the phone app doesn’t work anymore keep getting the same error message unable to contact server i’ve reinstalled cleared the cache you name it, it was working ok until the last update and no one seems to be fixing the problem. my membership is useless now the reason i got it was to use my playlists offline. i think a refund is in order.

amberswood 5 February, 2013 @ 12:49 pm   14

matt webster i really hope you take notice of my comment because im not the only one who is having these problems if you go on the playstore and check the comments.

silentsound2000 5 February, 2013 @ 12:57 pm   15

Great News!
Like many others, I’d like to see the Mirror’s Edge soundtrack on Music Unlimited, along with the wonderful vocal version of the title track.
The very first PSN game I bought from the store was Pixeljunk Monsters, and I subsequently bought the soundtrack. Well worth a listen…

Great news, I just happened to try searching for some Final Fantasy stuff the other night and was surprised by the lack of it.

Unfortunately though I’m also going to have to bring up the Mobile App issue. Since the update the other day it’s dead, “Cannot connect to server” or something like that. Tried clearing my cache, offline files even reinstalled it. I’ve got an Xperia T, so would unsurprisingly expect a Sony App to work. Please sort this out. Thanks

this will sound odd but is there any japanese bands like Uverworld, aqua timez, asian kung fu generation and Home Made Kazoku ?

THC_PRITCHARD 5 February, 2013 @ 12:58 pm   18

Please add wipeout sound tracks

SaMuRaI-Dan 5 February, 2013 @ 12:59 pm   19

It’s good to see the service being updated – more tunes from the artists i like would be awsome…

I have an issue with using the service on my android device at the moment though! Any information on any errors at all?

Just read all the above and obviously not the only one with this issue…

Fix this and im all ears litterally :)

“if you could choose a soundtrack from any game to join our new Game Music channel, what would it be?”

Here are some great ones:
Nier
Metal Gear Solid series
Hitman series
Alundra (PS1)
Deus Ex 1 & Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Shadow of the Colossus
Legend of Mana
Brave Fencer Musashi (PS1)
FFVII: Crisis Core
Valkyrie Profile (PS1)
Folklore
Suikoden (PS1)
King of Fighters 2002: Unlimited Match (PS2)
Red Faction: Guerilla
Front Mission 5
Binary Domain
MAG (PS3)
Dragon’s Dogma
Darksiders 2
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Death Smiles

the_program001 5 February, 2013 @ 1:02 pm   21

Although the game isn’t an old one the music (and the game itself) are great.
My suggestion: Ni no Kuni

Definitely as many Final Fantasy ones as possible! Preferably add some live orchestrated versions as well as the original midis soundtracks. Also the Dissidia ones please.

Also Kingdom Hearts, Journey, Heavy Rain, the Uncharteds, Metal Gear Solid and Ni No Kuni would all be nice.

I love what you guys are doing with the service, keep up the good work!

I would really like to have the Blue & Red Soundtrack of Infamous 2.
Off course there are many others which should be added to MU: Final Fantasy (especially VII to XII), Heavy Rain, Journey, flOw, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Retro/Grade, Unfinished Swan, Papo & Yo.

Could you also fix some issues with the PS3 app?
It takes ages for my playlists to load (mostly it says it can’t connect to the server, so I have to restart everything). And please include shuffle for playlists (and if possible, a shuffle function which remembers which songs it has already played).

The problems with the android app seem to be fixed.

Chaosprower 5 February, 2013 @ 1:23 pm   24

I tried using Music Unlimited on my PS3 back when it was first released, but it didn’t let me use it because I’m on a subaccount. I don’t know if this was fixed.

But I prefer pay-to-download services anyway, or at least let me upload my own music files (Music Unlimited only lets you play the music they have in their catalog).

I hope these soundtracks are not exclusive to Music Unlimited, I would like to purchase them :(

ahh thanks! this is great news

where to start?
starhawk
heavy rain
killzone
folklore

and everything else eh?

Toy_brain 5 February, 2013 @ 1:38 pm   26

The Shatter soundtrack needs to be on there (I’m surprised it’s not, as a couple other albums by Module are), as does anything by CoLD SToRAGE seeings as he is a big part of Wipeout’s heritage.

Hmm, what else? As many PC-Engine CD soundtracks as you can gather!
Yea, those are usually good for a dose of ridiculous 80′s/90′s hair metal.
Lords of Thunder, Hellfire CD, Sapphire. All good stuff.

Chaosprower 5 February, 2013 @ 1:40 pm   27

I hope the Final Fantasy soundtracks mentioned in the post are the original ones and NOT the Distant World ones that are already available in all digital music stores.

josiahpsn 5 February, 2013 @ 1:45 pm   28

Bit retro this request, but how about Thunderforce 3 and 4 music by Technosoft for the Megadrive (particularly 4)

It was such excellent and typical Japanese electro metal music, and after owning and playing literally hundreds of English and Japanese megadrive games in its heyday, I personally found this to be my favourite game music.

And P.S., I’m sure you already have this covered, but when doing all your great updates, please don’t overlook adding OFFLINE mode support for your IOS App, it’s soo much a desired feature by so many.

All the best, from a Music Unlimited fan.

Matt Webster 5 February, 2013 @ 2:33 pm

Thanks Josiah. Don’t worry, iOS offline playback is firmly on the roadmap, along with many other updates in 2013. Stay tuned!

Qriosity_Media 5 February, 2013 @ 1:53 pm   29

Can’t think of any of the top of my head that have not already been mentioned, but from those suggested these come to mind……

Kingdom Hearts
Outrun
And the Thunderforce Soundtracks were most excellent if I remember.

Hi Matt,

Sort of “game music” – but could you get the full Scott Pilgrim vs The world soundtrack put on MU? It is listed https://music.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/goalbum/5db7b6da976a492c9168bc4f30c19bfc/Scott_Pilgrim_vs_the_World_Original_Motion_Picture_Soundtrack_Deluxe_Version_/Various_Artists
but only has 13 of the 19 tracks on it (and some of the best are missing)

Dante_Zero 5 February, 2013 @ 2:11 pm   33

I’d love to see all the Metal Gear Solid soundtracks, along with the Zone of the enders soundtrack. I’d also like the complete Final Fantasy soundtrack like the one with a billion disks that S-E tends to only release in Japan. The live concert recordings of Final Fantasy would be good too. Mirrors Edge sound track would be a good one too. You can add the fallout sound tracks to that too. :)

almighty-slayer 5 February, 2013 @ 2:23 pm   34

Any chance of fixing the Android app so it actually works? Everyone has been having server errors for the last week!

It’s a shame because i love the service. The app is terrible though.

Thanks

Matt Webster 5 February, 2013 @ 2:26 pm   35

Thanks for all the awesome suggestions, so many classics! Are there any we’ve missed? We’ll make sure all of these are considered as the channel is updated.
With regards to the problems some of you are experiencing with the Android App, this has been passed to our development team who are working around the clock to fix this and we’ll look to update you all as soon as possible. Thanks for your patience here.

SPYRO, SPYRO, SPYRO!!! Stewart Copeland’s work from these games is awesome, and the Spyro 3 soundtrack is an example of a perfect video game OST. Of course there are many others, but they’ve already been listed for me above =)

QuietlyWrong 5 February, 2013 @ 2:54 pm   37

This all sounds good for the Music Unlimited subscribers… I don’t suppose there’s any chance of getting more game soundtracks available to PURCHASE on the PlayStation Store? There is a handful there now but when you consider the appetite some of us have for them and the relative (non-)availability (compared with Japan, say), it would be great to be able to buy our favourites…

I hope we will get the music from Katamari Damacy.

almighty-slayer 5 February, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   39

Thanks Matt. As for the music, some Metal Gear Solid would be greatly appreciated :)

bennyrafal 5 February, 2013 @ 3:17 pm   40

Too bad it is not comming to Poland

My favourite by far is Chrono Trigger

JimboBagginz 5 February, 2013 @ 3:25 pm   42

Silent Hill 2 is on there, along with AC Brotherhood, AC Revelations and (I think) the original AC.Silent Hill Downpour as well. Unless I dreamt them.

Far Cry 2 and Mass Effect 3 (and the extended cut soundtrack) are on there as well. America McGee’s Alice is on there.

There are quite a few soundtracks already there, although you may have to scroll through loads of tracks to get what you want. It’s a bit hit and miss, but a dedicated channel would be good.

Sackboypsn 5 February, 2013 @ 3:42 pm   43

Streets of rage.
Little big planet.
Outrun.
Kingdom hearts.
Thunderforce 4 (omake tracks included).

Great idea and a nice addition to the service but sadly it’s just to expensive to be of any interest to me.

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (Óscar Araujo)
Final Fantasy VI (Nobuo Uematsu)
Final Fantasy VII (Nobuo Uematsu)
Final Fantasy VIII (Nobuo Uematsu)
Final Fantasy IX (Nobuo Uematsu)
inFAMOUS (Amon Tobin)
Metal Gear Solid 2 (Harry Gregson-Williams, Norihiko Hibino)
Metal Gear Solid 3 (Harry Gregson-Williams, Norihiko Hibino, others)
Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee (Ellen Meijers)
Oddworld: Abe’s Exoddus (Ellen Meijers)
Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath (Michael Bross)
Shadow of the Colossus [Roar of the Earth] (Kō Ōtani)
Silent Hill (Akira Yamaoka)
Silent Hill 2 (Akira Yamaoka)
Silent Hill 3 (Akira Yamaoka)
Uncharted: Drake’s Fortune (Greg Edmonson)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (Greg Edmonson)
Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception (Greg Edmonson)

Not a game soundtrack but Bear McCreary’s tv soundtrack to Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles is excellent too.

Changes to the service/app:

PS3 app takes too long to load, just like the new PlayStation Store.
Can’t purchase music to keep permanently and use outside the MU app.

It’d be great if you set the service apart by allowing the purchase of HD lossless tracks in MPEG-4 SLS / HD-AAC format.

I hope they have the Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty main theme,the most epic of all themes.

Any of the Final Fantasy VII music would be great too, especially the boss battle tune.

Commandofin 5 February, 2013 @ 5:38 pm   48

I would like to have Shadow of the Colossus added to both PSN Store and MU.
Been asking it for a year after couple of more months.

KungSkabb 5 February, 2013 @ 5:46 pm   49

If you please just could fix the service. Right now it’s borderline unusable on ps3 and my tablet s.

I’m getting constant server errors when trying to load “my library” to play my playlists and albums on ps3, and on android the app doesn’t even start 3 times out of 4. When it does, it’s hit and miss, sometimes it’s like clockwork, other times it crashes or disconnects constantly.

Add to the the sluggishness, and it’s not even worth the low price. If it wasn’t for the webapp, which is ok, music unlimited would be total crap. Not renewing my sub.

Well now I have many more reasons to listen to MU.

Nice. Looking forward to the updates in the coming year.
Any plans for Sonos support?

I like Music Unlimited a lot and will renew it if the price will be 12 euro for Plus members.
If it’ll be the original price I for sure won’t.
Will it stop or will the service try to renew it automaticaly. How does that work?

Please update the psvita version to enable music while playing games or just all the time!!

almighty-slayer 5 February, 2013 @ 9:41 pm   54

you can play music in the background while playing games on Vita. You just have to put MU into Offline Mode :)

II-SpadeX-II 6 February, 2013 @ 1:40 am   55

Hello, I’m really disappointed that Music Unlimited isn’t available in UAE, according to Wikipedia, its supposed to be available worldwide, could you please fix this issue? Thanks. :)

Any chance there would be another subscription deal?! I missed out last time.

My suggestions:

[SONY]
Parappa The Rapper
Jet Set Radio / Jet Set Radio Future
Gravity Rush
Journey
Persona 4 Golden
Skyrim

[OTHER]
Max Payne 3
SSX 3
VVVVVV
Diablo 1 / Diablo 2

Matt Webster 7 February, 2013 @ 2:24 pm

Difficult to say at this time o2SeeKUo, but we’ll make sure we keep the PlayStation community updated with any changes (…great call on Diablo by the way!)

“Available later this month” Aww come on^^ I want the exact date! So much looking forward to listening to game soundtracks!^^

There is one thing missing on Music Unlimited : Browse Albums or compilation by name or release date.
Today, if you want to listen music, you are obliged to use your channels or know the name of the album or compilation, very heavy… just propose to show the list order by alphabetic or release date.

Other thing: Your TOP musics (Top 100 latino, Top 100 Dance, etc…) are not good. Sometimes i have three times the same music or very old music, not a “new” Top music ranking…

crazytimmy223 6 February, 2013 @ 11:53 am   59

I’ve been waiting for this since I joined music unlimited earlier this year. Can’t wait to listen to some final fantasy on the go. I hope they get some of the playstation exclusive titles on there such as uncharted and killzone

CautiousGamer 6 February, 2013 @ 1:04 pm   60

Mostly already mentioned, but Flower (PS3), Kingdom hearts 1/2 (PS2), Outrun (arcade), Streets of Rage 1/2 (Megadrive), Thunderforce 3/4, (Megadrive), Pang (Arcade), Space Harrier (arcade), Quackshot (Megadrive).

BenSanter 6 February, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   61

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 7 February, 2013 @ 2:53 pm   62

So many great ideas here; all I can really add is Mega Man. The original radio stations from the Grand Theft Auto series would be cool as well.

By the way, is there any chance of integrating offline playback with the native music player on the PlayStation®3 and PlayStation®Vita, so it can be played during games?

Stonesthrow 7 February, 2013 @ 9:04 pm   63

I hope they keep releasing OST’s on the PSstore too. That reminds me, I still have to get the Unfinished swan and Journey OST’s.

How about making windows 8 and windows phone app ;D
Also pls fix the bug that is on the Sony tablet S1. It keeps hanging in the 84% and says lost connection to server every single time