Posted 10:01am

The Weekend Playlist, 9th February

The Weekend Playlist

Good morning all. Another Saturday, another Playlist. Our guest this week is Daniel Morse from Just Add Water, the team behind the excellent Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD, which, as revealed earlier this week, has just spent its second month astride the PS Vita digital sales chart. Take a look at his picks, then let us know what you’re enjoying this weekend!

Super Crate Box on PS Mobile

Fred Dutton, SCEE Blog Manager

What was the last video game you played?
Like Chris says, it’s been a busy week here at SCEE, so my PS3 is a little dusty. I’ve got DmC and Ni No Kuni waiting for me this weekend though, and I’ve been busting Super Crate Box high scores on the daily commute.

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
Late to the party, but Mrs D and I have discovered House. I’m impressed how every single episode is essentially completely identical, yet still heaps of fun. Oh, and I caught Zero Dark Thirty, which was phenomenal. Tough Oscar race this year!

What was the best book or article you read this week?
A great piece in The Guardian looking back at the legacy of Groundhog Day – one of my favourite comedies.

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
I re-discovered Foo Fighters‘ ‘The Colour and the Shape’ while clearing out some cupboards this week. It stands up pretty well! Favourite track: Up In Arms.

jawad ni no kuni

Jawad Ashraf, PlayStation Store Content Coordinator

What was the last video game you played?
A few! Some I won’t talk about ;) but mostly Ni No Kuni. I’m 30 hours in and I’m now at a point where I can fly around the world. Woo!

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
What with Ni No Kuni pretty much taking most of my time this week, I’m surprised I managed to squeeze in an episode of Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure. Really enjoy the pace of the show – very little unnecessary staring contests typical of anime. Joseph is also a pretty rad character.

What was the best book or article you read this week?
I’m sure everyone knows what I was doing instead of reading. Ah, but I suppose the Wizard Companion book within Ni No Kuni (because why would I open my Wizard Edition?!) might count as the best book of sorts!

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Not a whole lot – I’ll be spending time with my family and friends, eating good food and – without sounding like a broken record – squeezing in some Ni No Kuni. One would think I had no family or friends with all the Ni No Kuni talk, no?

Sleeping Dogs - PS Plus Update

Chris Howe, PS Store and Plus Content Manager

What was the last video game you played?
I’ve had a very busy week so not much time for any gaming – but I’m hoping to complete Far Cry 3 over the weekend and then move onto Sleeping Dogs.

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
I saw Lincoln last Friday night which was good. The first 30 minutes were a little slow but after that, excellent!

What was the best book or article you read this week?
An interesting article on The Walking Dead: Survival Instincts on Eurogamer. I’m a big fan of the series!

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
I’ve been rocking out to some Stones this week – can’t beat the classics!

Daniel Morse, Community & PR Manager, Just Add Water

What was the last video game you played?
I’m playing through GTA4 during lunch breaks at work, and I’ve still got my original character going in Skyrim. He’s a level 50 Technoviking. There’s so much to do in the game!

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
BBC’s Africa. The Attenborough series are just amazing. Makes you feel so small, knowing you’ll probably never see all these amazing places! The wife and I are also working our way through The Big Bang Theory at the moment.

What was the best book or article you read this week?
You can fight alongside a drunken Dovahbear in Skyrim now. Serana is still a better follower though :)

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
I’ll probably find a few new stompy techno tracks to buy on Adam Beyer’s podcast that I can mix on my wheels of steel over the weekend…

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first

TINTINTB303 9 February, 2013 @ 10:30 am   1

WOW! That time of the week again. Time does go faster the older you get.
Must be a blur for you by now Mr Dutton?! ;-)

@Daniel Great call on Adam Beyer. Sits among the greats like Joey Beltram, Jeff Mills, Dave Clarke etc (who in real life isn’t as grumpy as he come across when he’s mixing):-D

What was the last video game you played?
Virtua Tennis on the Vita. THE BEST £7 I have ever spent!! Superb sport sim that is identical to its PS3 sibling!

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
Top Gear. I do miss it when it’s not on. It’s just a fun show :-)
*SPECIAL MENTION for the new BBC1 wildlife doc that starts on Monday at 9pm called ‘Penguins – Spy in the Huddle’ as it looks AMAZING!! Cannot wait.

What was the best book or article you read this week?
An interview in OPM with David Cage about… well, everything. It covered many pages ;-)

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
I may be joining Daniel with some pounding techno grooves.
Jeff Mills Live at the Liquid Room maybe if I’m sticking to the retro themed weekend debate?!? :-D

dark_angel69 9 February, 2013 @ 10:32 am   2

@Fred
The full game or demo? The comment below to Jawad would be for you too if it’s the full game. lol

@Jawad
Can you write up a review on it and tell us what you think of the game, etc? Out of 10 how good would you say it is? I cant make up my mind if I should buy or wait a while. So far I have the PS+ games to play (mainly Sleeping Dogs), heavy rain, ratchet and clank HD collection and then Defiance and The Last of Us will be out soon. The whole talk about No Ni Kuni is making me want it. lol. Thought the demo was OK but people say it was a disappointment but love the full game so I have a feeling I would too.

Mine now:
What was the last video game you played?
Sleeping Dogs!!! It’s amazing!! Nice to play a GTA alike game that drive on the opposite side of the road. Makes it feel more like home for us living in UK and Ireland.

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
More Suits and How I Met Your Mother

What was the best book or article you read this week?
Don’t know

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Its a mystery

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 5:20 pm

Of Ni No Kuni? Full game. I made a start yesterday but only made it as far as the first proper battle, so Jawad is your man!

Jawad Ashraf 11 February, 2013 @ 9:40 am

Honestly, I wouldn’t recommend the demo. The full game has a lot to offer where the demo simply couldn’t capture it. You will miss a lot of the charm, the great appeal of Drippy and the demo battles were personally confusing. The full game has a nice way to ease you into the world, which the demo simply failed at doing for me.

The full game really is the only way to go. Straight away you’ll be greeted with Ghibli and Level-5 charm, with visuals that really pop and a story that (so far) is quite simple to follow. Far too many JRPGs aim for a grand story and needlessly complicating things, but Ni No Kuni is quite simple in nature but done well at the same time. It’s nice not to have to think too hard about character relationships or history.

The game is also really great to play through with young family or kids. In fact, this weekend I played through a bit whilst myself and my younger family members decided to voice over dialogue that had no voices. It was pretty fun!

If you’re after a traditional JRPG of sorts, and one that oozes with charm, then Ni No Kuni is just the thing. And this is without having finished the game yet!

the game im playing is sleeping dogs, had it ages and i think seeing people on my friends list playing it has pushed me to finally plat it. as soon as im done with that im either firing back into bayonetta or finally getting round to assassins creed revelations.

last thing i watched was a show called community and just like the league last week its very funny and well worth a watch.

last thing i read was an article on kotaku about the beloved dreamcast who was taken from us far too soon :P

solarwind12 9 February, 2013 @ 11:35 am   4

Morning everyone.
Well the last game i played/am playing is the excellent Resistance3, i decided to attempt the superhuman run around tuesday, and am now very close to the wormhole. However yesterday/last night was Really hard, both in my progress and in the case of having picked up my LE Dead Space3 from Game, But the insomiac class has Really shined for me on this R3 playthrough, So i am sticking with it.
Last tv/film i seen, well i finally got round to Resident Evil Retribution, but from start i felt i have missed something, i can’t remember Alice killing Wesker in the ‘previous’ starting of film, and seeing he’s still alive in this one really confused me, got to grab previous one now, even though i Did see it before, i also enjoyed a Nat Geo tv show about our ancestors building stonehenge, what it was/is used for and it’s representation, Really good stuff.
Reading the ‘leaked’ articles on possible next gen specs, (roll on 20th).
Listening to Metallica, Nothing else matters, Sandman other ‘similar’ ‘i’m No longer at home’ type masterpieces.

sonwilliam 9 February, 2013 @ 12:00 pm   5

ok i am

Playing: Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed

Watching: Bleach Series 10

Reading: Written in Blood an Inspector Barnaby Mystery

Game: Ni No Kuni all the way! 10 hours in now. What a marvel

Film: Had a meeting yesterday that was done way sooner then expected, so I went to the cinema in an impulse. First thing playing that interested me was Hitchcock, so I went. Well, let’s say I’m a big fan of the master of suspense, and I like the way they focus on a small story of it’s carreer, but the film was mediocre. Some parts came close to brilliance, especially those when he’s battling the Hollywood system, the censors and when he’s on set. But other parts just fell flat and came out borring. Could’ve used one or two extra screenplay drafts and a tighter montage I guess, and it would’ve been quite good.

Book: Got my issue of Empire Magazine, so been leafing trough that one. They had a great Comic Book adaptation special. Not a Superman-fan (I actually think he’s a hero to invincible to be able to star in good stories), but the preview on Man of Steel kinda won me over. Also, every doubt I had about the new Wolverine movie just vaporized when reading the set report.

Music: Let’s keep it short: the new Eels album is fantastic. Voila!

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 5:23 pm

Yes, I have that edition of Empire. It’s been sitting on the kitchen table for a week now asking to be read. Soon…

Ooh, and I’ll have a listen to that Eels album, thanks…

Jawad Ashraf 11 February, 2013 @ 9:42 am

I’m sort of expecting good things from Man of Steel but at the same time fearful. Nothing will top the Animated Series for me! Nothing!

Playing: Sleeping Dogs, like most other Plus-members it seems. :D And found Uncharted Trilogy Edition from sales – I know I’m a bit late, but better late than never, right? Finished first one, sequel feels even better – amazing games.
Watching/Reading: Nothing. Among Thieves has kept me busy.
Listening: The Black Mages (again) while writing this.

Project2insanity 9 February, 2013 @ 2:20 pm   8

Last video game: PS3- Asura’s Wrath. I just spent half an episode staring at a spring bath attendant’s ‘assets’. *Cough*, sorry, meant to say Asura just spent half an episode staring at a spring bath attendant’s ‘assets’.
Vita- Ridge Racer. A tenner for the ultimate bundle sold it for me. Would’ve rathered a comprehensive offline mode but can’t complain at that price.

Last movie/TV show: An episode of The Simpsons where Homer commands a nuclear sub. A classic.
“It’s pronounced ‘nucular’.”

Best book or article: Not really an article, just cinema listing… Bullet to the Head is down to one showing a day already! That’s an outrage! Sly just wants movies to be made the right way.

Soundtracking: Endgame which is the latest album from Rise Against. They aren’t as solid as they once were but they still belt out some tracks.

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 5:25 pm

Good episode that one! They did the same gag in the episode where Homer adopts an orphan – Pepe (/Pepsi) – to annoy Bart. “It’s pronounced ‘learn-ed’.”

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 5:26 pm

Yes, I watch too much Simpsons.

solarwind12 9 February, 2013 @ 2:25 pm   9

So, while online/signed in etc i decided i would instal DS3, redeem the online code (co-op) and my bonus suits/weapons, Before returning to Resistance3, But after inserting disc and start it told me i MUST update to firmware 4.31. wth. 4.31 is meant to be OPTIONAL, i (luckily) read ALL the complaints of problems caused by it (4.31) before downloading it last October, anyway i have just been looking at eu/us forums and people are Still claiming it’s killed their ps3s, or broken features that were working fine previously. over 500 ‘claims’ of this. so what am i to do ?. i am betting all will be well and i will be in the majority group, suffering no ill effects, still i Am worried, worse though is that it ‘seems’ that as well as EA making sony look bad by telling them to set Insane rrp’s, it now looks like they’ve took over the whole machines rights. why have sony let This one happen ?. the crazy rrp’s, i can get, not respect (sony), but accept, Being told that a ‘optional’ firware is now mandatory (If you want Our game), ahh sony when did it all start going wrong.
sorry off topic, but i had to express my opinion, sadness.

tiago-kun 9 February, 2013 @ 2:28 pm   10

What was the last video game you played?
I had a week full of work and still recovering from my cold, so I didn’t play all that much, but I did play a few DOTA 2 matches yesterday. But I’m planning on going through the God of War games again.
What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
It was NCIS: LA, I enjoy watching some “light” shows from time to time.
What was the best book or article you read this week?
I read two great articles on this very blog, one about the music of Soul Sacrifice and a great hands on that left me wanting to play God of War (hence my previous statement above). Other than that, I’m getting ever closer to the end of a Song of Fire and Ice Volume 3.
What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
I’m not listening to anything in particular, just whatever is playing on my shuffling music list.

cthulhu85 9 February, 2013 @ 3:24 pm   11

Last videogame I’ve played:
I’ve been completing Quantum Conundrum on PC, which I’ve had for a while and for some reasons I hadn’t completed it. Fun game though. Also played through a indie game called Antichamber, which was lots of fun and I recommend it for anyone who likes puzzle games.
Last but not least, I also finally managed to sit down and finish Plants Vs Zombies on PSV and I did most of the extra levels also which was lots of fun. Can’t believe I haven’t completed it before on either PC or PSV as I’ve had it on PC for a long long time and on the Vita since it was released there…

Last movie/TV show you watched?:
Well… actually I haven’t been watching much TV this week. Though I’ve been looking at the latest Roosterteeth videoes (Let’s Play Minecraft, Trials Evolution PIG etc.) Those are usually a lot of fun.

Tunes that are soundtracking my weekend:
Well that must be Katatonia – “Dead End Kings”

mike-yazuka 9 February, 2013 @ 3:34 pm   12

I’m playing Ni no Kuni at the moment. Great game.
Hope Tales of Xillia gets released soon, its my most anticipated game of the year. After NNK I’m going to try Sleeping Dogs.

nickspaargaren25 9 February, 2013 @ 4:35 pm   13

sleeping dogs ps plus :)

Lunastra78 9 February, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   14

Dead Space 3, Mad Men, Gantz & Tesla Boy

neutronbomb 9 February, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   15

Sleeping dogs and the sublime Bayonetta. I’ve tried Ni no kuni but found it dull. The anime is great but turnbased battles every couple of minutes, yawn.
The walking dead is back this weekend – so I’ll be watching that too.

Dosentortellini 9 February, 2013 @ 7:17 pm   16

PLEASE ANSWER DEAR MODS!
OFF TOPIC ! :
any news about skyrim dlc’s in germany? (bethesda said the european releasedates aren’t for evry country) when the dlcs are coming??? i cant wait anymore! if no one of u have a answer,please contact Bethesda and make a blog post about the actuell stand! THX <3

zxRATTLExz 9 February, 2013 @ 7:56 pm   17

I’ll be playing Pinball Arcade over the weekend. After getting it for free via plus i decided to spend the money it would cost me for the game on more tables…..ended up buying them all haha. Can’t wait for more. Far better than Zen Pinball which has just got a bit silly with all the animations. KEEP IT REAL !!!

TV wise, i’m looking forward to Season 3 of walking dead returning on Sunday. The last episode was such a cliffhanger and i can’t wait to see what happens.

Last thing i read was an article on Indie games development in my monthly magazine. The future is bright

Don’t really listen to much music these days. I used to buy so much vinyl but nowadays i just dig the music that accompanies the game i am playing.

Stonesthrow 9 February, 2013 @ 9:09 pm   18

Hehe, I’m a little ahead of Jawad in Ni No Kuni. Got to fly Tengri yesterday and just completed the Mornstar today :p Playing a few matches of the ever brilliant Battlefield 3 (Grand bazaar on the defending team whoot!) in between in preperation for the premium double xp weekend.
Has been keeping up most of my time, although I’m rewatching the latest Simpsons, Futurama’s and American dad’s during and in between sessions.
Not much to read except the usual Playstation magazine, but I’m getting plenty to read in Ni No Kuni as it is, which reminds me to go read my newest Tales of Wonders :p
As for music, usually in between or during BF3 matches, some Hip hop (Cannibal Ox-The Cold Vein!) and some Japanese stuff (Ni No Kuni ost, Samurai Champloo ost, ..) when AwayFromController :p

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 5:27 pm

Is anyone not playing Ni No Kuni/Sleeping Dogs this week?!

Jawad Ashraf 11 February, 2013 @ 9:45 am

I should have completed it this weekend alas, family time took much longer than I expected! Barely got my second stone…

GamerOfThrone 9 February, 2013 @ 9:28 pm   19

I bought Oddworld on Vita, amazing game :)

DAYDANNY666 9 February, 2013 @ 10:03 pm   20

One Day the PS store will be cost-effective, just one day.
The Japanese are very respectful.

Atm. I am playing Heroes of Newerth (dota clone) with friends because some promotion or something like that is going on there right now (and we also love to play it xD). When I am done with that I ll take my vita to bed and will beat some guys in PS All Stars Battle Royal :)

I am also into Fairy Tail (anime) right now :) I watch like 5 episodes a day. Even tough I didnt get to recent episodes yet (i am about at ep 120) I allready know it will be my 2. favorite anime right behind One Piece (nothing will beat that :D)

With book, its a bit more difficult :P I am in half of Magic the Gathering – Loriwn (1. book), but since I ordered full collection of Lovecrafts horror stories, I kinda forgot about it :)

Hi jawad this is unbelievuble i have been waitin for my resi 6 special addition avatar set for week’s and still it,s german allways best than us for all avatars! Come on sony get a grip!!! You treat your customer’s like (CENSORED).

Damn, it’s so mean to read how everyone else enjoys Sleeping Dogs. I wonder if we’ll see any similar feedback about the german replacement?

Can anyone imagine: “Oh yes! I stopped playing Far Cry 3 and Ni No Kuni, since Sony gave us Elevator Action Deluxe! I love every second!” :D

THE_FORCE 10 February, 2013 @ 8:25 am   24

Game: Ni No Kuni (no surprise there!)

Film: I finally got round to watching Lawless on BD. To be honest, I don’t think the subject matter was interesting enough to make a feature film from. Time reallllly slooooooowwed down when watching it, and seeing Tom Hardy trying to both act and sound older than his years was uncomfortable and a bit ‘amateurish’ maybe?

Book/Article: N/A

Music: As always my favourite station TraxxFM Funk. Proper 80′s funk that makes ya wanna shake yo’ butt.

Game: ni no kuni ni no kuni ni no kuni :D nearly finished main story! Eep. Dont want it to end but at least there’s a few more errands etc after, so gonna get aaall the trophies :)

Film: FINALLY saw the Hobbit. Thranduil is beautiful :) hoping he gets more screentime in the next two. tv wise been watching Wonderfalls again. Why do so many great shows get cancelled?!

Book: Reading the spice and wolf novellas at the moment, forgotten what happened twards the end of the anime so re discovering all that.

Music: Old eminem and new fall out boy (yay) also the wonderfalls theme (wonder why the wonderfalls – Andy partridge).
So good week overall :) apart from being superskint and not having any hours at work… yay for ni no kuni keeping me very busy.

dogwalker4000 10 February, 2013 @ 4:25 pm   26

What was the last video game you played?
Ni No Kuni. Around 30 hours in and gotta say its easily the best RPG this gen (although sadly I admit my RPGing has been a bit lacklustre in recent years). The world is beautiful, the familiars are cute and Mr. Drippy is now one of my new favourite video game characters.

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
Not much to be completely honest, been watching a lot of YouTube lately if that counts :P

What was the best book or article you read this week?
A hands on article with The Last Of Us over on Destructoid. Sounds like its gonna be a game to play in the dark and I can’t wait to get my hands on it!

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Been moving today so not many tunes to be Frank but I wanna get hold of the Ni No Kuni soundtrack, you can never have enough Ni No Kuni in your life :)

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 5:29 pm

I’m lily-livered – no way I’m play Last of Us with the lights off. Had a panic attack just watching the demo the other day!

Any chance of getting the numerous problems with the vita store fixed? As in the items with broken images such as in the LBP DLC area and the fact that any item that is downloaded onto a vita has a broken image while being downloaded. It’s a little shoddy to say the least.

TINTINTB303 10 February, 2013 @ 5:46 pm   28

@Fred

No such thing as “too much Simpsons”… ;-)

Project2insanity 10 February, 2013 @ 7:56 pm   29

@TINTINTB303; You beat me to it. Well, as long as we’re referring to the classics. It started becoming very shaky from season 13. Maybe 2 good episodes released since then- one in season 14, the other is wishful thinking…

Three definitive episodes are Homer Goes to College, Cape Feare and Beyond Blunderdome. Trust me.

Fred Dutton 10 February, 2013 @ 9:10 pm

Cape Feare is my all-time favourite I think.

I wont watch beyond season 11 – but that’s still more great seasons than any other show I can think of.

Nightmare966 11 February, 2013 @ 10:08 am   30

@Fred: I haven’t played any of these 2 (Ni No Kuni/Sleeping Dogs) this weekend :P

I keep playing Arkham City (to get more Riddler trophies) and Soul Calibur V instead.

About the Simpsons: I find that the lagtest seasons seem to be getting again a bit more on track, but… They should take a look at what made the series great and try to fully go back again. I trust in their team.

@Jawad: I see you like a lot Ni No Kuni, so I feel obligated to ask… Ever played White Knight Chronicles? (well, part 2 basically which has both games). It’s really LOTS of fun, possibly the game in which I’ve clocked more hours in my life.

Could you tell the guys from Just Add Water that Vita gamers would love it if they released Oddworld: The Brutal Ballad of Fangus Klot as an exclusive game? I’ve just finished Stranger’s Wrath this weekend and would want to return to Oddworld for a simmilar experience. It would be a day 1 purchase for me!

On topic:

Last game – Sleeping Dogs (wow! it’s so good)
Last movie – The Critters
Best book or article – no idea, nothing big this week
Music – Pink Floyd “Echoes”