Posted 4:00pm

Get the new YouTube app for PlayStation 3 today (update)

Youtube_logo

UPDATE: As of this afternoon, YouTube has rolled the PS3 app out in the following additional regions: Turkey, Finland, Norway and Denmark.

ORIGINAL POST: Giving button mashing a whole new meaning, the new YouTube app for PlayStation 3 rolls out today across 19 countries including most of Europe, Australia, New Zealand and more. You’ll find the new app in My Channels under TV & Video Services on the home screen.

You might have watched YouTube on PS3 before, but get ready for a completely new experience that’s designed for the big screen and PS3 controls. The new app brings you more content, like your subscribed channels, and more ways to find videos, with better search tools, more ways to watch YouTube by pairing your smartphone, and more language options.

Here’s what you’ll find:

• Search: Finding the videos you want is easier than ever, with search suggestions and instant video results while you type.
  • Your subscribed channels: Sign in to find the latest videos from your YouTube subscriptions, whether it be official music videos or the PlayStation channel.
  • Your phone as a remote: With a quick pairing process, you can control YouTube on PS3 with a smartphone. Find a video on your phone and with a simple button press it’ll play on the big screen. While the video is playing you can control it from the phone, or keep browsing YouTube for the next one.
  • Language Support: Set your language on your PS3 and use the new YouTube app in your language. The following languages are supported: English, Swedish, Italian, German, Spanish, French, Dutch and Russian.

This release brings the new app to PlayStation 3 in the following countries: Australia, Belgium, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, India, Israel, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Poland, South Africa, Spain, Sweden, Russia and the United Kingdom.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

147 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

It’s about time! I’ve been using US app for months now.

will check it out later, thank you

RagingAvatar 11 February, 2013 @ 4:10 pm   3

Wow. A bit late..
This would’ve been really cool.. maybe two years ago?

It really took that long? I’ve been using the US app for 6 months…. Jesus you guys are slow.

Denmark? Norway? Finland? Why do SCEE hate Scandinavia? We are left with the worst local customers support (Nordisk Film) and again we are left out. Denmark, Norway and Finland are all officially supported Youtube countries, so what’s the bad excuse this time?

And where is the Vita app for same countries.

Peter Sherman 11 February, 2013 @ 4:23 pm

Hi Erroneus

Peter from YouTube here. The reason for this is that we can only launch YouTube on the PlayStation 3 in countries where YouTube is fully localized.

The good news is that we launched our localized version of youtube.com in Denmark, Norway and Finland last week, so it should be coming to the PlayStation soon.

PS

Not on the store yet.
I’m assuming this is a “phased rollout”, which is Sony’s favourite phrase.

Phew! I hope life is enjoyable again now, for all those who couldn’t manage to grab the US version. ;)

Artemisthemp 11 February, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   8

#5 Google Most likely refuse to submit the PSN Dokumentation in Danish or Sony are working on reading it and will have it approves shortly

SpartanDavie 11 February, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   9

Yeah, I agree.

It is about time, I didn’t know it was already available in the US though.

Our phones and tablets are able to have apps for everything for our convenience, even ones that have been around half the time.

Why has it taken this long? It seems as it doesn’t make you money like LoveFilm, Vidzone or Music Unlimited you don’t bother. That’s such a weak strategy, get good apps that are good for the users and more people will buy the console.

I hope the PS4 comes with YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, BBC iPlayer (not just web based) apps at the VERY least!

people need to understand that its not sony’s fault the lack of youtube app in many EU countries,you can ask google about that and the reason why they leave countries out of this.even this post is from the marketing manager of youtube,ask him :)

diehardest13 11 February, 2013 @ 4:21 pm   11

jaapengel79 11 February, 2013 @ 4:23 pm   12

This looks pretty much like the WiiU’s Youtube App… :-) (which is good)

suomenargie 11 February, 2013 @ 4:24 pm   13

I have an ios device, an android tab and a Windows Phone 8. None of the companies behind them seem to have the “serviced territories” problems that cripple Sony. Furthermore, Netflix has been available in Finland FOR MONTHS yet the vita app is nowhere to be found.
This is one of the many reasons why in the last 3 months I pretty much stopped purchasing stuff from the PSN Store and from retailers as well. I just download whatever PS+ offers and that’s it. I am done giving my money to a company that shows zero respect for the customers and doesn’t even give proper explanations when questions arise.
I don’t even expect a reply. I know better than that at this point. Just venting my disappointment.

This is not “new” its the same thing that America had?
which means no using search with an actual physical keyboard, which is stupid.
Seems to be the case that instead of keeping it away from a few minor countries due to language they instead punish everyone and upset their largest user base, gj SCEE.

Nazar_Ops 11 February, 2013 @ 4:27 pm   15

Kinda late. But i guess people who waited for this will be happy at last.

suomenargie 11 February, 2013 @ 4:27 pm   16

@Peter Sherman. Your response to Erroneous pretty much confirms that it is SCEE who is behind the lack of support and not the Developers or Publishers, as they usually claim.

@Peter Sherman Thanks for the reply, looking forward to seeing the Youtube app for both PS3 and Vita. And let me finish off by saying, it’s about bloody time ;)

Muttley_PT 11 February, 2013 @ 4:30 pm   18

Not in Portugal… :(
Sony, you should be different from A$$le and M$FT… but guess not… :(

supersmith2500 11 February, 2013 @ 4:32 pm   19

Yay! It’s about time. = D

@suomenargie
Well said. I think Sony is still too much of a content creator / developer itself, with its music & movies branches etc.
All those classical content providers are so deep backwards in their mind set about treating markets separately. They seem like dinosaurs in this globalized world.

BiGsMoO7ke 11 February, 2013 @ 4:35 pm   21

Here we go again :(
Youtube is fully localized for my country why i can’t get this app ?

@Peter when you will ”release” scandinavian (Finland,Denmark,Norway) YouTube as official region how long that will take im really waiting YouTube for PS VITA

KillaT2501 11 February, 2013 @ 4:37 pm   23

Looks great but the search function is very time consuming to use.

Are there any plans to integrate the Vita in some Cross-Play awesomeness! You use the Vita as a controller to queue up more videos, check out more info and browse while watching.

Peter Sherman 11 February, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

I very much recommend using your phone (or tablet) to control YouTube on your PlayStation 3. You can use the app on your phone as normal, then send the video to the TV with a click of a button.

I’ve been using the US App flawlessly. I’ll confirm the unavailable features:
You won’t be able to add a video to a playlist
You won’t be able to add to (or access) your favourites
You won’t be able to subscribe or unsubscribe
You won’t be able to link your YT/Google account without a phone or computer
You won’t be able to use your account without logging in to PSN
You won’t be able to use the floating keyboard or a USB keyboard to search (a.k.a. takes ages to type)

The advantage is just 1080p support and better audio. You don’t really get any benefits like using Google in a different tab or listening to your XMB music when your not browsing. All-in-all: You should only use it when your planning on spending a LOT of time on YouTube. The advantages: You get to read tiny text in videos. Disadvsntage: If you ARE watching Vsauce (highly recommended) you need a notepad to remember anything you want to search online later.

sully1311 11 February, 2013 @ 4:46 pm   25

@Mark917 – Are you sure about 1080p. Everytime I load up the app, its always 720p.

two things the app needs, to support the playlists created by the content creators, and a hd playback option.
now it’s been a while since i last tried the ps3 youtube app, so maybe those features have been added.

JadoreSox 11 February, 2013 @ 5:00 pm   27

Wow, Finally.

deikondhevin 11 February, 2013 @ 5:02 pm   28

When will we get this in Portugal? We need this on the vita, asap!!!
Why hasn’t it come out in Portugal?

‘Your phone as a remote’ That sounds COOL!!! :P

AlfaEchoVictor 11 February, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   30

Is there an explanaition why the App is not available to Portugal?

Why isn’t it being released in Portugal?

YouTube is fully localized in Portuguese!!!!!!

SHAFTRULES 11 February, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   32

cool!

Doggy_united 11 February, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   33

I download it. I am from amsterdam the dutch store but it don’t work it ask for ps vita
I remove it. This is not myn first complain the dutch store sucks the people ho works for the dutch store are amateurs. I am sorry but it’s the true. Am now at the store and it’s for the vita and not for ps3

andrewsqual 11 February, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   34

Misleading title, its not new lol. Wait a minute why did this take so long to come out. The version of this app on the Wii U looks identical to the PS3 one for some reason and that was on Wii U in Europe since Launch.

Doggy_united

u have vita version !!!!!!!!

ps3 version not jet in store :)

= about time + i like app
when singstar app sony , instead of iritating big goast icone

use phone (or tablet ) , why not vita movement ?

Can it do 1080p and 3D?

ps remove 3 x rong language game of cod bo 2 in belgium store

+ demo of ragnorack odysee not in ps vita store ( only on ps3)
so if u not have ps3 = no demo

Doggy_united 11 February, 2013 @ 5:33 pm   38

Monoliet I saw that but tnx for the info. :)

machinegunskely 11 February, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   39

Phone ass a remote? how?

cowbanana 11 February, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   40

Does this mean that I will get a YouTube app on my Vita soon?

This whole situation has been utterly pathetic. My iPhone has had a YouTube app for ages. iPhones have come with one installed for years… why is this so hard for SCEE?! Just pathetic. Why can’t the Vita just ship with an app? Especially now that one exists! Why must these things drown in corporate ineptitude? You’re dinosaurs and it makes your platform weaker and less attractive.

Want to watch YouTube on your nice 5″ OLED Vita screen? Well SCEE goes: lololololol, you can’t because… because… we’re incompetent dinosaurs!

If it is about localization like certain games on PSN suffer under (store descriptions), I think it’s total BS. Just hand me things in English.

My PS3 and Vita systems are set to English on the system level, I play games in English. Everything I do with computers and their systems and software is in English. I don’t care one bit about localization as often the translations are laughably bad anyway. I just want my stuff in English and that goes for practically everyone I know.

I’m absolutely tired of SCEE failing to provide me with proper service on the devices I paid for.

Peter Sherman: I think it’s weird you say it’s becouse its not localized in Norway, and thats the reason it’s not out yet, been using the us version on my Norwegian account in Norway for months, and guess what, it’s in Norwegian too, lol! :)… Anyway, nice to hear it will soon finally be officially out here too, especially looking forward for the vita youtube app…

When does it come to Scandinavia?

Nastrand1989 11 February, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   43

Im still cant find it in my tv/vide channels ;s anyone know what it can be wrong ?

Hi Peter from youtube.

How about try to answer all th portuguese inquiries???

Couldn’t care less for Youtube on the PS3 but it is useful on the vita.

If it’s available on Apple stuff why not here? The localization excuse does not make any sense…

cowbanana 11 February, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   45

SCEE needs to get rid of the regional crap very, very soon! It is unsustainable for those of us who aren’t considered important enough to get the best service.

I have iOS, Android and Sony devices and it is only with SCEE serviced devices that I have to feel like some dirty, unwanted, third rate customer.

Man, it is little wonder that Sony is pouring money into a huge black hole quarter after quarter. There is no room for old dinosaurs in today’s digital marketplace.

Really, fix this regional crap or your customers will go elsewhere. I’m already transitioning. You could have had my full attention if you’d only give me the proper level of service. But no, you have to be ancient dinosaurs. Inept, incompetent and washed out. SCEE brings shame to the Sony brand. Hirai-San should be ashamed of how parts of Europe get treated.

Ksanter_X 11 February, 2013 @ 6:01 pm   46

Will it be available in Ukraine? YouTube is fully localized here but no app.

MaxDiehard 11 February, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   47

@cowbanana The ‘regional crap’ is there because of countries’ laws, which they have to abide by. So don’t blame SCEE, blame your country.

And as for this app, I hate it as much as the new PlayStation Store. Everything is too large and clunky and the search system sucks.

LOVE IT!

Doggy_united

vind je niet in de store maar gewoon in de xmb menu onder tv diensten .

@ MaxDiehard

Please do not talk about things you do not know.

There is no law or anything here in Portugal about mandatory localization. All the major tv shows and movies are subtitled here and a lot of videogames are in English with the manuals in English.

Also there is youtube here (of course) on every major platform, form android to apple, so THE PROBLEM IS WITH SONY AND/OR WITH GOOGLE (but by themselves they’re here so…)

Do not trash talk @cowbanana if YOU don’t know what you’re talking about.

Where is the option to view in HD 1080p? Videos
Look very pixelated at the moment.

MaxDiehard 11 February, 2013 @ 6:45 pm   52

@inc3000 I was talking about all countries in general, not specifics. I never mentioned anywhere that i knew everything about every county.

I’m a developer myself so i’m aware of localisation in countries.

So why don’t ‘you’ think before trashtalking someone without knowing the facts. People like you just assume before thinking.

cowbanana 11 February, 2013 @ 6:45 pm   53

@MaxDiehard

What are you talking about?

Any and all of these stupid, artificial digital borders and regional limitations are set up by SCEE. It is a foul bureaucracy of their making. I think it is some insanely misguided attempt at bringing localization to people who never asked for it and who do not need it.

They need to get rid of this crap as fast as possible. It is a totally antiquated way of thinking.

Fred Dutton 12 February, 2013 @ 9:11 am

We’re sorry to hear you’re frustrated. However, this is a decision that’s in the hands of YouTube. As soon as they make the decision to roll out to new territories, you’ll be the first to know.

MaxDiehard 11 February, 2013 @ 6:50 pm   54

@cowbanana I’m not trying to critisise you, i’m just saying what I know. Politics are just annoying, controversial and always end up related to religion and beliefs anyway. So i’m with you on the fact they need to get rid of the localisation nonsense.

Hi Pete,

Thanks for your answer. We have youtube in Portugal for years in portuguese even.

Our country os not supported on this “localization” but shows as worldwide.

As I wiuld prefer worlwide content contrary to localized “local” content I fail to seemthis as a reason to mot release a product here.

Even the ads are localized with annoying portuguese comercials.

I fail to see the reason of it not being available.

Again google on android releases it and so does apple.

cowbanana 11 February, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   56

@inc3000

Yes, I really wonder why Sony is a special case? I’d like SCEE to clarify that. Or maybe the nice YouTube chap in this blog post can enlighten us?

Why is there no problem with YouTube apps on my Android and iOS devices? Why don’t I have a YouTube app on my Vita?

What is the hold-up? Who has decided that I can’t have the app and more importantly why can’t I have it?

Mark917
register u self then put code on pc then u have other options like
but not log out of you tube user on ps3/ vita ore u need always new code .

GoldPunch-TR 11 February, 2013 @ 7:14 pm   58

Where is Turkey?

Have been waiting soooooo long for this to come to the European territory

JediKnight246 11 February, 2013 @ 7:42 pm   60

Yay! It took a while but I’m glad the YouTube app is here. It’s nice that I’ll never have to use YouTube XL ever again. :)

Better late than never…
So thanks, however you’ve got to love the irony that 9 days before Sony announce the PS4…
SCEE release a You Tube app for PS3!

lisatsunami 11 February, 2013 @ 7:45 pm   62

I never was big on YT because I hate watching grainy videos on small screens but when it was launched on PSN last year I gave it a try and must say I love watching HD videos on my giant Bravia. The only thing I don’t like is the whirlybird text input search function, which was unfortunately copied by the new PSN store.

Looks great even on the Vita.

Sir_Sorrows 11 February, 2013 @ 8:03 pm   63

I can’t see this Youtube app anywhere. I only see Netflix?

lol

I don’t get that people waited this long, or are even asking for the app for their country…

I had it since months, just straight from my USA PSN account. Just make one, dl Youtube app and off you go.

For SCEE you gotta wait forever on stuff, this app, other stuff like CS:GO lol

anglachelw 11 February, 2013 @ 8:31 pm   65

I think this post raises some real issues. Why is it that everything must be localized in order to launch on the Playstation? It doesn’t have to be localized for me to visit Youtube.com or install the app on my smartphone and tablet.

I really think that Sony needs to reconsider their strategy. Even this blog is a perfect example. Think all of Europe as one market. 730 million customers. This is the European Playstation blog – however for some arbitrary reason it seems like 50% of the content presented (eg. movies) will never land on my shores – what gives? You don’t want our money? It makes no sense. Microsoft has the home advantage in the US – you have no such disadvantage in Europe – this could be your “home-away-from-home” market…

Or maybe we should just wait for Samsung to launch a gaming console – they are sure to give undivided attention to the old continent. A specialty of theirs – when the Japanese giants don’t even seem to bother.

Thanks Youtube/Sony!!! :)

Thanks for a Swedish client.
I hope more would translate their clients and games to Swedish.

nanasky3000 11 February, 2013 @ 8:49 pm   68

Nice looking forward to using it

Skookie30 11 February, 2013 @ 9:00 pm   69

I can’t get enough of ” look at my horse, my horse is amazing” vid on YouTube :)

why not Switzerland I have you tube on my phone, tablet, tv,and home cinema so why not my ps3 Switzerland is always left out

and my vita too no youtube app

For people who live in a country were this youtube app won’t release in. Just download it from the US store.

No thanks, ps3youtube.com is 10 times better than this app. For what i have seen so far looks very slow and laggy. The ps vita youtube app also is much better than this

Sign in doesn’t appear to be working right now. I go to youtube.com/activate and type in the code, authorise youtube lean back(?) to access my youtube account and everything appears to work, but the PS3 doesn’t seem to spot I’ve done it. just sits at the screen with the code.

The app’s considerably less useful if I have to search for everything I want rather than have a list of my subscriptions.

residentSteve 11 February, 2013 @ 9:32 pm   75

It’s on the store where has normal I can’t find anything only the vita version, I use to like the new store but it just gets on my nerves now.

fauxtronic 11 February, 2013 @ 9:35 pm   76

Wow. That is a phenomenal app update. Thanks! I’m not sure why it ain’t working right for others but it’s working perfectly for me. I paired it with my Google Nexus 4 in seconds and am amazed at how well it works as a sort of touchscreen remote control. Even the volume controls on the phone control the volume of the PS3.

Next on my Wish List would be a Google Music app. With over 10,000 tracks uploaded to the service, it pains me that the only incompatible device I own is my PS3.

So whilst it is likely legal issues that stopped it coming out much sooner, it surely cant be the law that it has to come out to EVERY country at once, thats just stupid, should really go by order of 2importance” (ie most money made and laargest user base, which lets face it is English, given that the Americans and Australians -sidenote im assuming New Zeland is also “SCEE”? also speak it) and make that available to all, then release other localisation as and when, that way much less of the userbase would actually be affected (yes, you would still have complainers, but overall most users would be happy, as they wouldnt have to wait 8 months for an obscure language that isnt used much).
I mean Microsoft and Steam do it, why punish me so that a language I have 0 intention of learning in a country I wont visit and let the Americans have it years earlier o_O.
Also its not an “update” , they dont seem to have changed the glaring flaws it has x_x

Plus anyone that actually wanted it could have just gotten it off the US store, so I understand the issue of just making it easier to download even less -.-

@peter sherman, are You kiding with us?

Im no my Mac, open YouTube and its totally in portuguese.

So, there’s no excuse for no YouTube in Portugal.

Hahaha, this is not even available in my country (Norway)! This update gave me a real good laugh since I’ve already got the YouTube app a long time ago by adding an American psn user on my ps3. The funny thing though, is that when I did download the YouTube app it was perfectly translated to Norwegian and my European ps+ account actually downloaded every new patch automatically even though I didn’t have ps+ on the American account.

YesItsLiam 11 February, 2013 @ 11:54 pm   81

Not gonna lie its class full hd now instead of crappy Def and the obile tv app is class select it on your phone it plays on your tv love it A++

Good stuff, how long been waiting for this, no need do web search now

Gammelprut 12 February, 2013 @ 2:03 am   83

How about the Vita application?? No Vita YouTube application?
Why? Don’t tell me it’s localization, we all speak English, all of us. I’d even go as far to say that all of Scandinavia, with Holland are the best English speaking countries after the native-speaking ones of course.

Just release it already instead of us *always* getting *everything* later!

cowbanana 12 February, 2013 @ 7:15 am   84

YouTube app for Vita… when? Is it that hard to answer?

The wall of incompetence is impenetrable it seems.

tr-fan-4-ever 12 February, 2013 @ 7:51 am   85

What about Turkey? YouTube is localized for Turkey.

I think you guys are totally not honest with our Scandinavian friends right now, not sure about the others but I can totally see Dansk, Norsk on the list of languages on http://www.youtube.com . Hell I can see Portuguese there as well /hmm.

As for SCEE? well Apple store is global, Steam store is global, Microsoft can release things globally, but SCEE is the worst company I have ever had experience to have contact with, CLEARLY favoring UK, Italy, France, Germany and Spain, if you require others to translate stuff, I also want this blog to be translated into Polish.

FINALLY!!!

cowbanana 12 February, 2013 @ 9:37 am   88

@Peter Sherman

Now that Fred has stated above that YouTube is solely to blame for the lack of YouTube app on Danish Vita systems, I would like you to tell us when we can expect the YouTube app to appear on the Vita Playstation store.

I would also like to say that I think it is unbelievably stupid of you not to make it available to us the moment you had the app ready. I can not understand why you deny us the ability to watch YouTube on our Vitas. You’ve made no such artificial limitation on my Danish iOS and Android devices…

Now that Denmark is officially supported, whatever that means – all this bureaucratic BS is lost on me – will the app be there in tomorrows Playstation Vita store update?

suomenargie 12 February, 2013 @ 10:03 am   89

@Fred Dutton
Is it in Youtube’s hands because of their own policies or because of yours? What I mean to ask is: do you mean that is in their hands to expand their serviced countries to comply with SCEE policies? If that’s the case, I still believe it is SCEE’s fault and not Youtube’s.
And what about Netflixif that’s the case? I have been paying for it for months and the only device where is not available is my Vita. Somehow, you always seem to skip giving answers to this questions.

@Cowbanana
The simple fact that we have the Youtube apps in almost every other device is a clear example that is SCEE’s policy forcing Youtube to service different countries what keeps us from getting the app on Vita/PS3 in due time.

It’s NOT on the UK Store !?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

“Search: Finding the videos you want is easier than ever, with search suggestions and instant video results while you type.” – Oh – Christ – NO! I hope this would be only optional otherwise it will be as annoying and useless as “search” on the new PSN Store :(

Not everyone has high speed connection at home or unlimited bandwidth and by forcing this silly feature on users you’re making this a major PITA. You should actually try the apps in the REAL life situations before releasing them to public and not only in the optimal “lab” settings.

It is really PAIN to sit and watch the “instant” search to stuck every time you’ll finally manage to select next letter and wait for downloading useless cr*p you’ve NOT asked for. This hard pushing of the “related” content must have it’s limits somewhere …

Great, this localized version is much better than the US YouTube app I downloaded last summer.

@91: Its not in the store, go to “TV/Video Services”, look under “MyChannels” and its there.

Like it SAYS in the blog post if you could be bothered to read it.

ManatuBear 12 February, 2013 @ 12:01 pm   94

Again… just because i live in Portugal, Sony FORCES me to have portuguese PSN Store, and now i have to wait for Youtube to be localized so in can access it in a language i DONT UNDERSTAND!
Honestly SONY, has it ever occured to you that just because someone lives in a country it doesnt mean they are native to that country??
I live in Portugal, but i want everything in ENGLISH, not PORTUGUESE!
The only thing i can change is the main menu Language, anything online im FORCED to see it in Portuguese!

Where is the app in the UK? Can’t find it, probably because the sorting of the new store has no logical sense…

Ok, found it, it’s not on the store. My bad

Using the app, the borders of videos are cut off, so videos with text on the side you can’t read all of the text. Why cant the app display the video to the size of your TV?

at least …
thanks

cowbanana 12 February, 2013 @ 6:21 pm   100

I see… YouTube marketing is silent/absent, just like I expected. These corporate guys always bail when the questions heat up. Lame.

supersmith2500 12 February, 2013 @ 6:49 pm   101

Tried out the app and works flawless but however here’s my feedback.

* I didn’t like the letter layout where you had to scroll left and right to each letter. An on-screen keyboard would be nice.

* An HD option would be awesome.

* Have an option to skip ads after few seconds on major partner vids.

Overall, good app.

Kafziel710 12 February, 2013 @ 9:50 pm   102

when will u put the app on Portugal?

Coody-Baroody 12 February, 2013 @ 11:29 pm   103

I downloaded the US app from the US Store months ago when it first came out over there just like alot of others no doubt and i have to say that honestly, the PS3 Youtube app is TERRIBLE! Especially when compared to the Vita app.

No comment function (or even ABLE to VIEW comments) awful resolution, awful search function….the list is endless.

Honestly i dont know why you bothered.

It always strikes me as bizarre that the high-tech companies such as Sony and Microsoft (and in this case Google) are often the ones which are desperately trying to cling on to 19th-Century notions of different ‘regions’ – even inventing technical measures such as region locks to try and recreate imaginary borders which have no meaning in the internet age. This was obsolete thinking by the end of the 20th-Century and is absurd in the 21st. Just look at the number of people in this thread saying that they have successfully been using the “US” app in countries that even the new “EU” app currently does not officially work in. Why not release the same app everywhere simultaneously? Yes it might only be in English to start with (as that is the language of the company providing the App), but more languages can be added over time. Most people would much prefer partial functionality immediately, rather than perfect functionality later (or possibly never). The first companies which throw out these ridiculous, outdated notions will have a huge competitive advantages over those stuck in the 19th-Century.

Go on Sony. Be first.

Incidentally, the same could be said about games. As more games are sold as downloadable rather than physical versions, there seems no good reason to wait for localisation before release. Updates to add additional languages can easily be made weeks or months later.

Why not have a simultaneous worldwide release of a downloadable game which is originally written in Japanese? All you have to do is publish a roadmap as to when different languages are expected to be available. For some games, people will be happy to buy it immediately, even without the English / Dutch / Flemish / Arabic translation. Others will want to wait.

You could even provide staged delivery of translations. A first pass translation would provide localised menus. A second pass could provide subtitles. A final version would have all in-game text translated, including any voiceovers.

Having most devices connected to the internet and having games not limited to being delivered completely (or even substantially) finished on physical media gives you huge opportunities to think outside the box and free yourselves from 19th-Century thinking.

This is a pretty good app I can use :)

Can we also get an app to remove SingStar or at least make it optional, I swear im going to press it by accident one day and end up with a 0% on my trophie list because im not interested in any singing games and never will be, I don’t even want them for free.

Please, in the name of all that’s good and holy, add physical keyboard support already. It is mind-boggling that you should add the tablet/smartphone gimmick, but ignore a straightforward and standard method of input. Do you actually enjoy being pointed out to major and glaring flaws ?

dark_moon55 13 February, 2013 @ 5:21 am   108

i have just tried out the youtube app and to be quite honest it is a complete mess its not intuitive or anything like how you tube is whether your on your computer or phone or tablet. you should pull the app and start again. so what im saying to everyone else is dont bother with the app at all

monoliet 13 February, 2013 @ 5:58 am   109

need update like vita version puting tings in catogory/ love /see later ….
= ps3 also need + only option 720 p ??????
give option 576p 720p – 1080i-1080p

monoliet 13 February, 2013 @ 6:00 am   110

edit buton wanted .

ps3 also need update like vita version puting tings in catogory/ love /see later ……
+ only option 720 p ?????? give option 576p 720p – 1080i-1080p.

monoliet 13 February, 2013 @ 6:13 am   111

BryceS 106 @

i alrady say lots of time bring out game in japanese / english global
+ menu also japanese /english

then to persone wo want to have transilation to other language = waiting .

Dutch / Flemish almoast everybady want same language = same as uk ore usa .
( why we need to wait to france /germany/ ita / spain + lots others who refusing to adapt )

smokeypsd 13 February, 2013 @ 7:01 am   112

It’s ridiculous it’s taken this long.

Sorry, I love you Sony but the internet should be breaking barriers down not putting more up.

Unless a major paradigm shift is happening for another console in terms of distribution systems and regional issues I’m not going to be getting another console next generation and sticking with my PS3. I’m expecting even more consumer punishing measures.

It’s still not available in Ireland. Is this a phased roll out?

PiccoroDaimaoh 13 February, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   114

To all the Portuguese complaining that YouTube is available in Portuguese: IT’S NOT.

YouTube has Brazilian Portuguese, not European Portuguese.

In its 8 years of existence, YouTube has never bothered to localize to the Portuguese (I guess we’re a non-important market to them), so I doubt it will ever be in proper Portuguese anytime soon.

And this app will never arrive here…

bgThunderbolt 13 February, 2013 @ 12:54 pm   115

again, no app in Bulgaria. thanks a lot for treating us like 3rd world country. we pay as much as all the others, but we get less. thanks also for the zero support.

I can’t find the app in my TV & Video Services section. Does anyone know what I should do to find it?

DoYouLikeMyID 15 February, 2013 @ 3:12 pm   117

*Looks at countries*

… -_-

sriparadise 17 February, 2013 @ 11:41 am   118

This is something I have been waiting for so long. And what I like about the app is its friendly GUI and it works so seamlessly. No unwanted clicks and no scroll search..its all well laid out and fast.

Doctor_David 17 February, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   119

It does not work – can’t select a specific point in a video – all the controls (which are not explained) simply cycle to another video – for an *improvement* it sucks. YTXL was better – and now it’s gone from the store.

Bluebacon172 17 February, 2013 @ 10:08 pm   120

Now can someone tell me how to sign into my Youtube account using this app??? Just keep being asked to add a random code and dont appear to be getting anywhere…

TRFDazzy 19 February, 2013 @ 5:33 pm   121

Cant see this on the UK PSN :/ Been waiting for this too :/

supersmith2500 19 February, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   122

@TRFDazzy:
TV/Video Services –> My Channels –> You should see it.

SKIBA-13 23 February, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   123

I NEED HELP. im english, living in the U.K I downloaded the youtube app but its not in english. my ps3 is set to english so why is this happening. please,please help.

Shadar08 25 February, 2013 @ 7:21 pm   124

I am from Poland, and I do not have you tube in “My Channels” folder? What is the reason? My system is up to date still no you tube app for me.

superson64 27 February, 2013 @ 2:21 am   125

now waiting for newgrounds app for vita please!!!!

Filipsvahn 5 March, 2013 @ 8:35 pm   126

Hi,
Im using the Youtube app i sweden.
I just installed the app, but think it sucks. lags incredibly much when it loads all categories and when playing videos. Have a ps3 slim. Installed the app with a friend who has the oldest verisionen the ps3 and where it worked flawlessly. Anyone else have the same problem? and how did you do it? And its nothing wrong with my internet connection, plays netlix HD movies whithout any problems.

Do you want me to localize it to Portuguese ?? I’ll do it.. If not, please ask someone do it and release it ASAP in the Portuguese VITA store..

There is NO excuse for not having it released ASAP.

When can we expect it to be up ?

It’s outrageous.

It should be possible to edit the posts :( I meant Portuguese Playstation Store, obviously not Vita Store :D

Artemisthemp 7 March, 2013 @ 5:27 pm   129

So where is the Vita app?

slocod 7 March, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   130

Still not available in Slovenia :(

hurameshy 7 March, 2013 @ 5:56 pm   131

@KlotX

vou escrever em portugues para que vc entenda e eles não… the others, google it if you want…

não é a tradução que falta para eles… se vc fizer o download por uma conta inglesa e usar a mesma aplicação na sua conta portuguesa irá funcionar em portugues normalmente… o motivo de não liberarem deve ser outro mais obscuro, mas disso não faço contas…

o que mais me faz falta é a mesma aplicação para a Vita… infelizmente tenho de esperar por essa…

SergioDaly 7 March, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   132

Just to be one more voice to ask for the app in the PT store.

monoliet 7 March, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   133

i have next question = after so longgggggggggggggg waiting you tube also on ps4 ?

also tip = vita version = better options ;)

jerry-11111 7 March, 2013 @ 6:53 pm   134

Oh yes you can say it, it´s about time.

Hexahedronaut 7 March, 2013 @ 7:21 pm   135

@Coody-Baroody
Awful resolution ? Remember the original ps3 YouTube oh boy now that was terrible, this one is leaps and bounds better and why the hell would you even want to view YouTube comments have you not seen the amount of homophobic/sexist/racist and just down right offensive comments on pretty much every video… Christ some of the stuff I’ve read will forever corrupt my soul.

DoYouLikeMyID 7 March, 2013 @ 7:26 pm   136

I’m happy this app is finally here for Denmark. :D I don’t want to let my tv sign in, because YouTube wants permission to:

“View your Google Wallet and make purchases on your behalf”

And I’m not going to agree to that! I don’t even know what It’d purchase!

Now I’m just waiting for the PS Vita YouTube app to come to Denmark… It is still coming, right?

Zapffe 7 March, 2013 @ 7:58 pm   137

How about YouTube for Vita in Norway? Much rather want that, than YouTube on PS3, which will be switched out for PS4 in around 9 months.
Also, how about Netflix on Vita in Norway?

When Vidzone Poland?

The whole localization stuff Sony prides himself about is outdated. Leave it up to the makers if they want to localize it but throw the english version on there regardless.
This whole localisation thing was also mentioned prominently during the PS4 presentation. So we can expect the same slow releases and that is just not something I want from my console. You just don’t get what your customers want, Sony.

ninenullseven 8 March, 2013 @ 3:51 am   140

Never seen such a pathetic excuse elsewhere but from Sony.
Actually Sony is the only one company with such regional restrictions.
Release in english WORLDWIDE, update localisations later. That’s how business is done – people will be a lot more happy. English app is whole universe better than NO app at all.
And then Sony expects good sales of their devices… Won’t happen until someone fixes their regional policy at least. Because that’s call nazism – you treat people differently because of country they live in.
If people can access english youtube – so they MUST be able to use english app. Simple as is.

smokeypsd 8 March, 2013 @ 6:42 am   141

Are we ever actually going to be able to view our favourites just through the standalone PS3 app? Without using a mobile? It’s a pain having to copy a playlist or use a mobile just to access a list which just should display to begin with…

Mister_G 8 March, 2013 @ 7:55 am   142

BRILLIANT! I’m REALLY impressed with it.

Thanks YouTube & Sony! :D

Deepo-EG 8 March, 2013 @ 8:21 am   143

Hooray, we exist! Thanks Sony/YouTube :)

Erroneus 8 March, 2013 @ 8:31 am   144

Apparently it’s not developed by Sony, but Google it self, the same for the vita app. So the delays are to blame on Google.

P3hmo6 8 March, 2013 @ 8:55 am   145

PS Vita app oo? Please add it too! I’m been & others too forever

cowbanana 8 March, 2013 @ 10:05 am   146

All I want to know is when do we get the Vita app?

VITA. WHEN?!

Simple question. Asked many times. Response levels… abysmal.

cowbanana 8 March, 2013 @ 10:32 am   147

Wow, this topic got buried again fast.

YouTube on Vita situation too embarrassing?