Posted 13 February

Star Wars Pinball: A closer look at the Empire Strikes Back table

In you missed the Star Wars Pinball announcement from last week, you can read all about the game in the announcement blog post. Today we’re taking a detailed look at the Star Wars Episode V :The Empire Strikes Back table.

The Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back pinball table is inspired by the events of the beloved film. The exciting action takes center stage on the main deck of the Executors Star Destroyer, and features iconic scenes that play in the dot matrix display when missions are activated during gameplay.

Join Luke Skywalker as he embraces the power of the Force and leads the charge to repel the advances of Darth Vader and the Galactic Empire. The experience would not be complete without a host of fully functional 3D objects including an AT-AT walker (with circling Snow Speeder!), a Tie Fighter, Ion Cannon and, of course, the emblematic lightsabers of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball

Activating missions on the Star Wars Episode V :The Empire Strikes Back table can be done by hitting the center bank and collecting the letters to spell out STAR WARS. You can then choose which scene to start, causing the Executor to jump to hyperspace and fly to the affected planet of the chosen scene. There are five missions to complete before activating Wizard mode, which drops you in the middle of an epic battle between Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader!

Zen Pinball 2: Star Wars Pinball

One new feature in this table: checkpoints for the table missions! This will really benefit your game if you happen to run out of time or encounter a ball drain in the middle of a mission. The next time you start the mission, you will start at the last checkpoint.

Star Wars Pinball will be available as DLC for Zen Pinball 2 on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita later this month, as Cross-Buy entitled content. Look forward to a detailed look at the Boba Fett table next week — until then, may the Force be with you!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

18 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

hi zen studios, since you already cooperate with lucas ip, could you maybe make a remake of the Indiana Jones table from Williams ? that would be awesome!
btw- im realistic about my expectations and know it wont happen

Bobby Loertscher 13 February, 2013 @ 7:30 pm

Our current license is just for Star Wars, but Indiana Jones would be a great IP to work with someday! We’re taking it one step at a time though and we’ll see how things go with Star Wars before we get into the next IP.

AgentChaos 13 February, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   2

Zen Pinball + Star Wars = great potential

Looking forward to trying the demo soon.

Will these tables be available individually or only in packs ?

Bobby Loertscher 13 February, 2013 @ 7:21 pm

This set of 3 will be sold as a pack, we’ll have more details on pricing soon!

need first mi mony back from sony ( free game u need to pay = first time to everiting , so sony makes mistake = i need to wait ) , then i buy u tabels .

no excuses , no compensation – only them have mi mony .

Just shut up and take my money!

Scubafinch 13 February, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   6

^ What dhandes said.

Can’t wait!!! :P :P :P

a table 3 pack you say – mine it will be

ill be having these as soon as there out :)

are the marvel tables finished now or are there more still to come?

Bobby Loertscher 13 February, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

We have at least one more planned, Dr. Strange still has to make his appearance :)

GhostX1984 14 February, 2013 @ 6:33 am   10

Death Star/Episode IV Table would be sweeeet

Drop the goofy looking characters and instead make the background behind the table look like you’re going down the trenches on an attack run. You could have ships flying around the table for various bonuses.

Most of the dialogue in the trench sequence is gold from solo’s cheer to Obiwan’s “use the force luke”. Once you do enough stuff on the table you open a short window to destroy the Death Star. Instant classic.

I love the Zen pinball tabes, and this is looking like it could be the most awesome set so far, although I could be biased being a huge Star Wars fan :) Definitely be picking these up on release!

Just out of interest, are there any plans to expand the Planet Minigolf courses? I’m not generally big on golf type games, but I’ve found that one to be pretty good fun after a few beers ;)

Bobby Loertscher 14 February, 2013 @ 7:11 pm

We’re actually working on a sequel to Planet Minigolf! :) We’ll have more news about it later on.

Carnivius_Prime 14 February, 2013 @ 11:25 am   12

Have you been in contact with DC Comics about doing Batman, Superman, Green Lantern and so on? I bought about half the Marvel tables but I’m not really a Marvel fan at all, far preferring DC.

Also I would really love a Doctor Who table. There used to be a real one with the first seven Doctors a long time ago (I played a recreation of it on PC some years ago). A 50th anniversary table with a nice TARDIS ‘prop’ on the table perhaps and some Daleks. Gotta have Daleks.

Also I really suck at pinball. I’m never gonna get good at it but I still enjoy whacking that silver ball about making things go ping and stuff.

Catkiller1 14 February, 2013 @ 11:56 am   13

I can’t wait for these :)

I’m sure the price structure will be satisfactory, as with all previous packs ;)

Hopefully we’ll see the following tables but if it did happen, I think they’ll more than likely end up releasing for Pinball Arcade:

The Addams Family, Indiana Jones, Doctor Who (Tricky to get hold of this one!), The Simpsons, Guns N’ Roses, Terminator 2, Flintstones, Jurassic Park, Freddy: A Nightmare on Elm Street, WWF Royal Rumble (Doubt it, but I want it!), DC associated tables…….phew!

One can dream…..one can dream! ;)

Looks amazing. Wish I could only buy the original trillogy collection because I hate the clone wars and the new crap.
But I’m sure the tables will be amazing and I was tired of super heros.
Any possibility for a sale of the older tables?

silmorat1 14 February, 2013 @ 7:36 pm   15

Pinball arcade is certainly getting the sales on the dlc tables at the moment since the game in currently on the ps plus instant game collection so this is great that you are releasing something new, but I really think you should do some sort of sale on some Zen/marvel pinball tables to steal back some sales from them. I recall you did a Halloween bundle in the US last year, I for one would certainly be interested in some sort of sale like that, any chance?

zxRATTLExz 14 February, 2013 @ 8:47 pm   16

I’m really looking forward to these tables but i’m not sure if i will be able to purchase them for PS3 due to a problem that prevents me from buying most of the tables.

When i go to the store it says most tables/packs are unavailable due to me not having the unlock key for Zen Pinball 2. I’m not sure but does this mean i have to buy the Marvel pack that ZP2 demos ? I really don’t want to since i have those tables on the XBox, along with the most of the available tables on xbox. I also wanted to pick up Ninja Gaiden table since that is PS3 exclusive but it won’t let me due to me not having an unlock key.

zxRATTLExz 14 February, 2013 @ 8:50 pm   17

@catkiller, some great choices there but you are missing the ULTIMATE table that PinArcade needs. Tommy, the pinball wizard. Licence issues on the music related tables may prove tricky to get around though.

Who gets the star wars cut of the money? Lucas or Disney?