Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 7:42pm

The Last of Us is coming in June

The Last of Us for PS3

The Last of Us is an ambitious project. In many ways it may be Naughty Dog‘s most ambitious project to date – a brand new universe and cast of characters, brand new tech, brand new genre, and not to mention it’s easily the longest campaign Naughty Dog has ever made.

As a team we pride ourselves on setting a very high quality bar for every aspect of our games – gameplay, story, art, design, technology and more. We want to make sure The Last of Us raises that bar even further – for ourselves, and most importantly, for you, our fans.

As we entered the final phase of development for The Last of Us, we came to realise just how massive Joel and Ellie’s journey is. But instead of cutting corners or compromising our vision, we came to the tough decision that the game deserved a few extra weeks to ensure every detail of The Last of Us was up to Naughty Dog’s internal high standards.

The extra wait will be very short and your patience will be rewarded. Update your calendars. You won’t even have to change seasons. The Last of Us will be available 14th June 2013. Until then, know that we will be working extremely hard to deliver an experience that matches your high expectations.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

41 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first
dark_angel69 13 February, 2013 @ 7:51 pm   1

Awwwwww. :( The wait is like torture and now have to wait a little longer :( But anyways, the game deserves to be at it’s best so take your time on it to ensure there are no bugs and we get the best gameplay possible. Something that most developers should have been doing anyway rather than rushing it. Even if yas need another year to work on it then it will still be worth waiting for. You never let us down Naughty Dog and you certainly wont any time soon :P

fauxtronic 13 February, 2013 @ 7:53 pm   2

I was so looking forward to TLOU but have become reluctant to drop more than £25 quid on single titles if there’s a chance the PS3 beneath my main TV will be replaced by a (non backwards compatible) PS4 before Christmas. :(

It’s doesn’t matter when game arrives. The major is to be the best! I trusting you Naughty Dog, you are the best!

tapantaola 13 February, 2013 @ 8:02 pm   4

Do you confess the fact that you cut corners in Uncharted 3?

I would appreciate a honest response!

andrewsqual 13 February, 2013 @ 8:09 pm   5

Lol @2 You forgot to put an avatar on that quick fake PSN account you created.
Destiny is an online only affair. They can keep it. That means more Gold Membership sales as its the only way it can be played then.
Naughty Dog>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&gt-;>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>&-gt;>>>>>bungie

It’s nice to see that you guys really want to polish the game :). The bad thing is that the game will release after E3… and PS4 and the games that will be showed will take away a bit of hype from it.

Anyway that date is my birthday so it will be a nice present :D.

PlayStation Spain says 18th, what a torture!. Hope we got it the 14th

Lunastra78 13 February, 2013 @ 8:23 pm   8

Perfection takes time.

I’m fine with waiting a few more weeks for this gem.

Honestly, I’m okay with is. I trust that Naughty Dog want it to be the best it can be, and they can take all the time they want to achieve that. Also helps that I’ll actually be finished exams by then so I’ll have the time to enjoy it!

another_gamer195 13 February, 2013 @ 8:29 pm   10

More time.?
The biggest ps exclusive, most awaited and anticipated game for many.. a console selling title, Needs more time. phew. i wonder if, with this 20th Feb ‘news’ the more time needed is something to do with a ps4s eminent looking xmas release, And more importantly how TLOU Will play on That console ?.
2nd hand games Not being compatible Can be remedied with some kind of pay to play patch.. but backwards aka ps3 titles Not working.. nah, If that is true TLOU Would of been kept back as a launch title for ps4, Surely ?. i mean these devs and sony engineers knew years ago when next gen is scheduled, So the more time,.. maybe ND is double checking how TLOU WILL play on PS4. or am i just wishfully thinking. Anyway am glad it’s a minor delay, and can’t wait till GOW demo, then June itself.

btw, someones saying the 20 Feb announcement is delayed in euro, ?. How is that one meant to work, and is there a delay of some sort i haven’t heard of.

super-james12345 13 February, 2013 @ 8:32 pm   11

While I’m a bit upset that we’ll have to wait a month more for this game at least it means that Naughty dog obviously feel that it needs a bit more time to polish up and are okay to delay a game rather than keep updating the game after the game came out.

Also I should have almost finished my exams by 14th June while I’m starting them in May and Last of Us would’ve originally got in the way :D (naughty dog defiantly looking out for my future) ;)

Excellent, this will give you plenty of time to arrange for Europe a proper collectors edition and fix up the incompetent mess you tried to get away with.

Stonesthrow 13 February, 2013 @ 8:59 pm   13

Read it already. Thankfully it’s not that much longer, unlike GTAV. The quality of the final product is all that matters in the end, I never mind delays. Oh and the game looks stunning as you might have heard before :)

Silent_Gig 13 February, 2013 @ 9:07 pm   14

Dont announce something unless youre really sure its going to hit that date.

Can’t wait! Really looking forward to seeing more and playing this soon :)
Looks amazing!

Where are the negative comments coming from? Last time something like this happened everyone appreciated the extra care being taken. It might be annoying but it’s not bad news or a massive failure from Sony or ND.

Strangeheaven 13 February, 2013 @ 9:20 pm   17

@tapantaola,I honestly think naughtydog did cut corners with uncharted 3 and agree with you. But that team was the less experienced. The Last Of Us is being developed by the uncharted 2 team who are the true naughtydog team in my view,and are led by neil druckman and bruce straley who are most talented individuals at naughtydog.

bit gutted but reckon it will be worth the wait.
is the demo still being released with gow ascension?

Danny-UK-1 13 February, 2013 @ 10:17 pm   19

cant wait for this game but god of war first!

At least use this extra time to bring here in Europe the post-pandemic edition…PLEASE!!!!

I’ll re-do my post over on the US blog, but i’m really hoping this delay is to make sure the whole game is decent, no disappointing story with plot holes that only rely around set pieces like uncharted 3!

Jacko_the_lad 13 February, 2013 @ 11:00 pm   22

Whilst it’s never fun having to wait longer, it’s for the best as you know you’ll be getting the best game possible. :D

Strangeheaven 13 February, 2013 @ 11:45 pm   23

Preordered mine from shopto.net, that way I will be playing this thursday morning june 13th guaranteed.

хуй большой залетел в твою негретянскую жопу макак пиздавароны обх

razordude 14 February, 2013 @ 8:54 am   25

PayaV87eng 14 February, 2013 @ 9:06 am   26

I’m not sure, that this is a good decision. I mean, it’s the day after E3… Are you sure, it’s ok business-wise? Usually E3 show a lot of new games, which may hurt the sales of your game. Are you ok with that?

Marrsterhausen 14 February, 2013 @ 9:56 am   27

Blame it on the shoehorned multiplayer, if this was single player only it would meet it’s initial release date. Why even have mutliplayer that will only play like uncharted anyway? If the multiplayer was open world like Day Z then it would be worth playing…

Hats off to you guys! You’re better off making a good game than trying to release something that cuts content for the sake of a release date. It’s made E3 week even more awesome!! Good luck to you guys! :D

At least it isnt delayed by 5/6 months like GTA

DomusCaligari 14 February, 2013 @ 11:22 am   30

To anyone who wants to rant and rave about this little delay, at least this is a sign they want to work on it and make it amazing, unlike a certain extra-terrestrial based fps that was released this week…

I don’t mind the wait ill still give this a go as I like the the idea of zombie apocalypse type games.

Good luck with the next gen uncharted your no doubt working on ;)

And playstation all stars kart racing make it a reality naughty dog :)

No problem… take your time….
I know it’ll be worth the wait and be top quality like the 3 UC games.

Bloodlust_1138 14 February, 2013 @ 11:35 am   33

After the response from certain people who got a hands on I’m not surprised. They were worried it had become to easy to run n gun and less making every bullet count and using makeshift weapons. Do what you need to do guys and take as long as you need to do it. This is one of the blockbuster titles this year and I’m looking forward to playing it the way you have envisioned it. Thanks for letting us know don’t listen to the moaners when was the last time they made a game right?

Jacko_the_lad 14 February, 2013 @ 1:15 pm   34

“Hi, as you are releasing this only a few months before the PS4 and this is not backwards-compatible with PS3, are you developing a PS4 version?”

Um, how do you know the PS4 won’t be backwards compatible?

That’s ok, Naughty Dog, I just want the best game you can make and I’m sure it’ll be worth the wait when it is finished.

Only wish you could give us the same options in special editions you gave the US, like the one with the full art book, that is an amazing deal and I would buy it in a hartbeat. Now I just buy the regular edition because I didn’t like to choose between the characters because I’m sure they both are amazing.

Carnivius_Prime 14 February, 2013 @ 1:51 pm   36

I’m still undecided about this game. I know the graphics are state of the art (as all the Uncharted games were too) but I dunno if the setting and gameplay style is my sort of thing. I’m not much for having to be careful and taking things slow. And various other aspects of modern games have been putting me off in recent times.

I do love ND for the Uncharted series, Uncharted 3 is by far and away my most favorite game of all time (and yes better than Uncharted 2 in many ways) though the main reason it stays in my Blu Ray disc drive is due to the superb multiplayer (again which was vastly improved over Uncharted 2′s already fine multiplayer). It’s given me more happy gaming experiences than any other game I’ve played. I’d actually be quite happy if ND took the multiplayer from U3 as a standalone game I could have on my hard drive and then just keep building on that.

Would you like to blow out the candles on my birthday cake before i do or just smash it to pieces Naughty Dog? Because you have just ruined my birthday :(

alice_push_lara2 15 February, 2013 @ 10:40 am   38

heard this news but still went to pre-order the Ellie edition whatsoever!!!

DoYouLikeMyID 15 February, 2013 @ 2:54 pm   39

I’d rather wait a couple of weeks for the game to be amazing, than I’d have it right now, in an unfinished state, so take your time.

I think this has the potential to be one of the greatest games of all time!

Looking forward 2 it

Please sony please please, we need at least arabic subtitles for “the last of us”. Square enix will make full arabic support for Tomb riader, EA supported arabic in many games too. Do us a favor and support arabic in the “last of us” for god sake.

Eric Monacelli 13 February, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

It’ll be only a few weeks and it’ll be awesome! Thanks for your patience.