Posted 4:02pm

The tough choices and colossal bosses of Soul Sacrifice

Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita

Soul Sacrifice is, as its name suggests, a game that asks the player to make an ultimate decision. It happens every time you defeat an enemy, actually — a choice to either save the enemy’s soul, or sacrifice it for your own gain. How you customise your character in this regard is crucial, since you’re going to go up against some very large enemies.

That scale, and the importance of making the player truly feel it, is at the heart of this piece from composer Wataru Hokoyama:

“For this piece, I focused on bringing out the full potential of a full scale orchestra by using bold orchestration to depict the immeasurable sense of scale of the enemy’s size and power. I hope the score will make the players feel like, ‘there is no way I can beat an enemy with this kind of scale.’” – Wataru Hokoyama

Because there are gigantic, powerful enemies, it’s important to build your character’s stats and levels. Your decision to save or sacrifice will affect what type of character you want to build.

Save and Sacrifice
When you defeat an enemy, it will be in critical condition. You can approach it and decide to either Save it or Sacrifice it, each with differing consequences. You can perform both actions by approaching an ally in critical condition as well.

If you decide to Save, you will share a portion of your health with the enemy or ally in order to help them recover. If you choose to Sacrifice, you will gain access to a powerful spell.

Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita

Soul Sacrifice on PS Vita

Saving will recover a bit of health and increase your Life LV gauge. Once the gauge is full, your Life LV will increase boosting your defense. Also the health gained from healing magic, and the amount of health recovered when Saving will increase.

Sacrificing will slightly rejuvenate the number of times you can use an Offering and increase your Magic LV gauge. Once the gauge is full, your Magic LV will increase, boosting your attacks. Also the amount of recovering an Offering when Sacrificing an enemy will increase.

We know fans are eager for in-game footage of the content above, and of the many other exciting features Soul Sacrifice has to offer. Keep checking the blog; there’s plenty more to come! Soul Sacrifice for PlayStation Vita comes to Europe on 1st May!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

15 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Silent_Gig 15 February, 2013 @ 4:05 pm   1

Man, i really cant wait for this, the bosses look brilliant!
I hope news on a demo comes soon.
Thanks for the hard work Kumi

Awesome track. If the game is any as good, yummy!

Had to laugh when the video was introduced by PEGI 18 btw.
Since when can an orchestra recording music, harm the youth? :P

As with all games I buy, I dont spend any more than £15 so if it is any higher im waiting for the price to drop unfortunately.

But to the Devs who make it It looks great and I will buy it new eventually but just when the price is right

This is getting a physical release right?

This looks very fun. Since i am getting into the RPG spirit, i will get this!

TheGrimOfDeath 15 February, 2013 @ 7:14 pm   6

I am so hyped for this game, but I would rather have some more news about Ghost Recon: Final Mission and Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 for the Vita.

I am BEYOND excited for this game, can’t wait to get my hands on a demo so I can give it a go, gotta craving!!!!! Roll on May 1st!

looks great

This game sounds better every time I hear about it.

I’d be interested to know if there’s plans of a method to stop people from just farming life or magic in easier areas, though.

Tremulan777 16 February, 2013 @ 2:52 am   10

Thanks Kumi Yuasa! Do you know if there’s any chance of pre-ordering the game on psn? If so can I also get the pre-order bounes? Thanks.

junoproful 16 February, 2013 @ 10:26 am   11

allready looks pretty epic, really looking for this one

GamerOfThrone 17 February, 2013 @ 2:02 pm   12

Cant wait so sacrifice some friends !! :D

Do you know when the demo will be released on PSN ? ( it would be cool to have a physical demo like japanese :) )

Lord_Gremlin 17 February, 2013 @ 7:16 pm   13

Still don’t quite get it. So, basically save/sacrifice = level up your HP bar/attack power? So in reality you pretty much need to balance/grind both. Heh. So much for the choice I guess.

hmm, any chance of this getting a PS3 release? (oh ok or PS4 -.-)? Read up on it a bit, could well be the next Monster Hunter (strangley I had thoughts aboutt his mechanic the day before this blog post was made o_O, but from what Ive read up it could be more…limited than I was expecting =/.)
Gremlin, it suggests theres a limited number of enemies in single or multiplayer, so you cant grind (though no confirmed word on what you will be using when magic runs out and if those assumed weapons and armour are also levellable, Id assume so, possibly with chest drops or items such as Monster Hunter)
GOT, if you want a demo make a sub account under that countries address, download the demo, play the demo (unless the language is just in Japanese? if not its just like the people complaining about no Sly 4 demo, make an American account, use theres o_O)
though it seems the woman who posted this may well have buggered off back to America, where customer service is half decent >_>.

As a sidenote, I was fully expecting it to be where you either euthenised an enemy, absorbed their power for either a one off or specific power (so fire Golem gives fireballs, goo monster gives acid spit) or a strange hybrid where the player slowly looses the looks of a human and devolves, or give you the power to summon them or keep them as an ally, a bit like Pokemens >_>.
will be interesting to see how this actually plays (though, not having a vita its “something to look into in the future”) but it does sound like it could be a tad underfleshed…