Posted 4:00pm

Hotline Miami coming soon to PS3 and PS Vita

Lead image Hotline Miami 1

The teams at Dennaton Games and Devolver Digital are thrilled to announce that the pixilated brutality and neon hyper-violence of Hotline Miami will be testing the will of gamers on PlayStation 3 and PS Vita this Spring.

Through unknown black magic and dark arts, our friends at Abstraction Games are crafting an absolutely perfect version of Hotline Miami for both PlayStation 3 and PS Vita and are taking great care to take advantage of both systems’ nifty features.

Hotline Miami 2

For those unfamiliar with Hotline Miami, it’s the debut commercial effort of prolific indie developer Jonatan Söderstrom and artist/designer Dennis Wedin.

Hotline Miami almost immediately garnered praise from both gamers and press for its distinct visual presentation, driving soundtrack, breakneck action, and schizophrenic narrative that leaves players with more questions than answers. Since then the game has won awards from IGN, Destructoid, Machinima, and Indiecade, culminating with a nomination for the Independent Games Festival‘s Grand Prize.

Hotline Miami 3 Hotline Miami 4

Hotline Miami 7

Hotline Miami is a high-octane action game overflowing with raw brutality, hard-boiled gunplay and skull crushing close combat. Set in an alternative 1989 Miami, you will assume the role of a mysterious antihero on a murderous rampage against the shady underworld at the behest of voices on your answering machine. Soon you’ll find yourself struggling to get a grip of what is going on and why you are prone to these acts of violence.

Rely on your wits to choreograph your way through seemingly impossible situations as you constantly find yourself outnumbered by vicious enemies. The action is unrelenting and every shot is deadly so each move must be quick and decisive if you hope to survive and unveil the sinister forces driving the bloodshed.

Hotline Miami 5

Hotline Miami’s unmistakable visual style, a driving soundtrack, and a surreal chain of events will have you question your own thirst for blood while pushing you to the limits with a brutally unforgiving challenge.

Stay tuned to @HotlineMiami and @DevolverDigital for sweet, sweet details as Hotline Miami takes aim at PlayStation 3 and PS Vita.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

37 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

Good news. I really enjoyed the PC version. I wonder how the controls would translate tho… will the Vita version use the touch screen in some way?

Fork Parker 19 February, 2013 @ 4:24 pm

We’re looking into it with Dennaton Games and Abstraction Games. There could be some fun use of the back touchpad – maybe use it for ground attacks/finishing moves.

So glad to hear this! Really enjoyed the PC version, so this is a instant buy for me! I heard something about cross-buy aswell? Hopefully its true, will make it even better!

ste_the_legend 19 February, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   3

Very happy to hear this news. Never played it on PC but heard a lot of very good things. I think the game will be very popular on PS3

Silent_Gig 19 February, 2013 @ 4:15 pm   4

Ive been waiting for this ever since the bubbling rumors, i cant wait to get my paws on this!

Noisepurge 19 February, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   5

AWESOME!

And i assume touch screen can be used to view move the viewport like in the PC version.

I enjoyed the PC version. I will most likely buy the Vita version.

HitmanSB07 19 February, 2013 @ 4:31 pm   7

Brilliant news, this is a definite day 1 buy. Any word on whether it will be cross buy for PS3/Vita? That would be the icing on the cake.

SMOKIN_WEED_1986 19 February, 2013 @ 4:38 pm   8

I’ll get this for my vita def a game for those long hours waiting this summer in an airport lounge.

HitmanSB07 19 February, 2013 @ 4:38 pm   9

That’s even more brilliant news, thank you!

Andrefpvs 19 February, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   10

This is fantastic news, thank you!

Can we expect 1:1 quality (or as close as possible) compared with the PC version?

Excellent! Wish there would be a cross-buy option via Steam and PSN. ;)

Now that SCE is opening up to so many brilliant indie titles, when can we expect FTL and To the Moon? Pretty pretty please!

Great news :)

@Fork Parker

Beware !!!

SCEE have a habit of delaying games due to Quality Assurance testing :(

The soundtrack is fantastic!

Excited that it’s finally coming to PSN.

SCEE are masters of delaying !!

Don’t give them any reason to do it.

supersmith2500 19 February, 2013 @ 5:05 pm   15

Hope it doesn’t suffer the same fate as Retro City Rampage where we had to wait 3 months for it.

This is amazing news, this game has a great VC vibe in it.

SuperJag86 19 February, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   17

Day 1 buy for me too! Love this game and now I get to play it on my Vita with that gorgeous screen, brilliant!
I hope the wait isn’t too long!

Corbotron_5 19 February, 2013 @ 5:48 pm   18

You tell Mac users to buy the game in October 2012 as it’s ‘nearly ready.’

You continue to delay it and barely acknowledge the situation. When you do say something, you blame it on problems with getting controllers working.

Mac users wait even longer and then you announce that you can’t get controllers to work and so you’re dropping the feature. Your response to annoyed people who’ve already paid for the game is that it’s better with a mouse and keyboard anyway.

Mac users continue to wait and then you announce a PS3 and Vita version, which explains how you’ve failed to get the (incomplete) Mac version out in the 5 months since it was ‘nearly ready’.

Still Mac users wait.

I take it that the PS3 version won’t be using a mouse and keyboard?

Fork Parker 19 February, 2013 @ 6:48 pm

The Mac version has been tough but the team wants to release something that works well and not rush it out. Appreciate the concern and being upset but know that it’s in it’s final stages of testing.

vonhammer 19 February, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   19

Yay!

I already have this on PC, but CrossBuy means I’m double dipping. :D

zxRATTLExz 19 February, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   21

Great news. I’ve been wanting to play this for a while now but my laptop is beyond redemption.

ElTequillaz 19 February, 2013 @ 6:19 pm   22

Please please, secure a deal with this through Playstation Plus service. Think it would draw in massive amounts of people and even further interest

I think I hate you.

No, I think I love you.

Why am I tasting purple?

Those brains look well on that wall.

I have a new message on my answering machine.

“You must double dip. Be discreet.”

Honey, I’m out, I have business to attend to.

Toy_brain 19 February, 2013 @ 6:34 pm   24

Cool. Never did get around to playing it on PC, so I’ll probably pick it up for the Vita.

Will there be any bonus content? or is it just coming across ‘as is’ (not that this will stop me from buying it, just thought I’d ask anyway).

Unicronic 19 February, 2013 @ 6:49 pm   25

I’ve got the PC version and it’s awesome. SO I’ll grab this.

P.S. When is spring?

Carnivius_Prime 19 February, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   26

Can’t say I’m a fan of the game or the graphic style, however I hope it does well as I used to speak to Cactus some years ago on MSN and he often helped me when I’d get stumped trying to code something in Game Maker. Good guy and I wish him well with his commercial ventures.

Aces73High 19 February, 2013 @ 6:57 pm   27

Great news! I’ve fancied Hotline Miami for a good while, but my seventeen year old daughter hogs the PC in my house….ALL THE TIME!! So I’m properly excited at the prospect of finally getting to play it on my Vita – the only console that is ‘hands off’ to my kids. Well, most of the time.

Roll on spring!!

Corbotron_5 19 February, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   28

I appreciate the reply regarding the Mac version.

That’s good news! How much will it cost?

This is great news!! Really wanted this on my Vita and was jealous of those PC users.
The cross buy is a great bonus too, I will be buying this on day one and hope the Vitas features and spec are put to good use.

GalapagosaraY 19 February, 2013 @ 9:49 pm   31

finally a reason to pick up vita. This and Binding of Isaac Rebirth will be the 2 most perfect games to have on the go for vita

Had half an eye on this in PC, but much prefer my games on console if possible (prefer controller to mouse/kb for everything outside of strategy and tactics games) – will grab this for sure, top stuff :).

FelixAndrews 20 February, 2013 @ 2:13 am   33

I don’t know how much of a hand Sony has in encouraging these indie darlings onto their machines, but going under the assumption it’s plenty: please don’t stop. The PS3 & Vita are putting out some really astounding things lately, and I am very much appreciative of the fact.

Excellent news, will buy it on launch day (which hopefully isn’t that far off).

Mighty_Pirate_91 20 February, 2013 @ 10:32 am   35

Nice will certainly be buying this on launch!!!

AussieOutsider 20 February, 2013 @ 1:52 pm   36

So will this actually be getting a PS3 Release in Australia or will this turn out to be another Retro City Rampage debacle and end up on a Vita only?

Lord_Gremlin 20 February, 2013 @ 6:28 pm   37

Hm, I think I’ll pass. I got to final boss in PC version and just gave up on this game. I’ve actually soon after learned exactly how said final boss is defeated, but to me it’s just not fun. It’s a random chore. Talk about games that kill all the fun in the end.
I’m not sure how well the controls will translate too, heh. Touch screen would ruin this game – it’s way too fast paced. In fact, it’s too fast paced for anything other than high DPI mouse.