Posted 1:10am

inFAMOUS: Second Son announced for PlayStation 4

inFamous: Second Son

So what’s new? I mean, what have you been up to? Cool. Us? Not much. Just a new character, new city, new powers, and all designed especially for the new PlayStation 4.

I hope you’re excited – because we really are! Actually, for us it’s probably one part excitement and one part pure terror, but that’s just the way of things I guess… But here we are at last to break the months of silence: All of us at Sucker Punch are very pleased to introduce you to Delsin Rowe, and our new title Second Son! Let’s cut to the chase!

Want details? Sure thing…

Delsin Rowe is the star of Second Son, and you probably know someone like him… A 24 year-old who is absolutely convinced he’s destined for greatness; though so far that greatness has managed to elude him. He grew up just outside Seattle, where his great – if accidental – calling comes crashing into his life.

After rescuing occupants from a fiery bus wreck, he discovers that he suddenly has the ability to direct, manipulate and even transform into… smoke. Could he have absorbed this power from one of the passengers he pulled from the wreckage?

Setting the scene… It’s been seven years since the Cole McGrath episodes and the world has clearly changed. Anyone showing signs of being a so-called “bio-terrorist” is immediately handed over to the Department of Unified Protection (DUP) – a government agency created to ensure there is never a repeat of the catastrophic events of Empire City and New Marais. So Delsin, who has never been particularly respectful of authority, finds himself caught in the DUP dragnet… and decides he’s not going to go quietly.

Along the way, Delsin is going to ask questions that are not just relevant to the world of Second Son – but to the world we all live in today – a world where we are often instructed to surrender our freedoms to help improve our security. Ben Franklin once wrote “Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.” Is he right?

As you play Second Son, you’ll explore lots of Seattle’s familiar landmarks. As with all games in this series, the path the gameplay and story take will depend on the decisions you make along the way. And, of course, we are creating all these characters and locations at a remarkable level of detail – made possible by PlayStation 4.

In fact this trailer was produced in-house using our game engine – can you tell we’re having fun with the new GPU, tools, and our new VFX system?

We’ll be back in the coming weeks with more details, but until then you’ll find us at @suckerpunchprod, #SecondSon, and www.facebook.com/infamous.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks absolutely amazing!!! So psyched for this, sucker punch make the best and coolest characters, so can’t wait to see, read or hear more on this game, give me some wallpapers for my tablet or something haha, so hyped, kudos SP

ryannumber3gamer 21 February, 2013 @ 2:24 am   2

inFamous 2 is one of my favorite PS3 games and i can’t wait to see more of this game :D But, I think you guys should have Cole and Zeke in this somewhere for a few reasons. 1.If this takes place after inFamous 2 then i don’t know how it would work. Cole used the RFI to save everyone but he wiped out himself,Kuo and the rest of the Conduits so how could there be another person with powers who managed to survive it?. 2. The bolt of lighting that comes down when Zeke & Cole are out on that boat in the ending of inFamous 2 needs to be explained. But still its great to see another inFamous game :)

extermin8or_ 21 February, 2013 @ 2:27 am   3

So glad infamous series is continuing ina way-will miss cole though; is this based in the uk? :p

I love the inFamous series. Glad to see it on the PS4. Day one for me.

Stonesthrow 21 February, 2013 @ 3:10 am   5

Sweet, I’d love to see more powers.

Ski_nnyman 21 February, 2013 @ 3:11 am   6

I cannot express the hype I feel right now. A punk protagonist in the inFAMOUS storyline? Amazing. I really, really hope Deslin turns out to be Cole’s brother.

Kind of weird that the protagonist is against cameras and the PS4 ships with one..

Carnivius_Prime 21 February, 2013 @ 9:25 am   8

This was the only game revealed for PS4 last night that interests me at all. The video itself not so much but the fact it’s an inFamous game and all three previous games have entertained me greatly so I expect the same of this one. Would likely be the first game I purchase if/when I buy a PS4.

though this looks absolutely fantastic and i am ecstatic to hear the infamous franchise will continue, i really hope this doesnt mean the end for cole :( id love if this was just a new infamous to coincide with the original infamous so that we cxan get a infamous 3 aswell :)

regardless if i find a game with the infamous title ill be buying it.

European_Gamer 21 February, 2013 @ 10:22 am   10

What’s the relation to infamous? Did The all get their powers from The Ray Sphere?

Phantom_Blaze 21 February, 2013 @ 10:37 am   11

@European_Gamer

Well that’s the thing. At the end of inFamous 2, Cole uses the RFI which kills all conduits.

So either, someone makes a new Ray Sphere, or the RFI didn’t kill all of them.

dark_angel69 21 February, 2013 @ 10:54 am   12

At first I thought this has to be Prototype 3 cos it didn’t look like inFamous but after seeing the name pop up, tears almost ran down my face from happiness of hearing about another Infamous game. The wait and wonder for this moment has been awful. Cant wait to play this!! :D

The only way I see this working is if the evil ending was the cannon ending as cole did wipe out the conduits in the good ending, I love it if it was a follow on from the evil ending as that ending had such great emotional payoff and it would also mean we would be seeing cole again as the big bad beast :)

Loving the fact there’s more infamous just hope I don’t miss lightning too much as my power

Hayz, that seems unlikely. Infect I think that means like with Infamous 1 (though it wasnt super clear) the good must be canon, and that there is a new Ray Sphere, or someone so powerful they survived the blast.
Or perhaps the radius of the cure wasnt all that great?
Seems unlikely that only smoke/fire will be his powers, as Infamous 2 had Ice and sorta dark, but as a game it was underwhelming =/.
Cole could have survived, at the end of 2 on good there was a questionmark of lightning above his coffin, plus Kessler came back from the future, why cant another younger Kessler also come back, I mean we are already dealing with one paradox.

Also the protagonist has a stupid name.

Chaosprower 21 February, 2013 @ 2:08 pm   15

When this game was being revealed I thought it was a new trailer for Ubisoft’s Watch Dogs =.=

ryannumber3gamer 21 February, 2013 @ 5:47 pm   16

@hayzink

But i don’t think the evil ending would really work as well. If Cole destroys the RFI with Kuo and the Beast, It’s sorta shown that its just the conduits that survived.

Zonoscope 21 February, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   17

I’ve waited so long to see what you guys at Sucker Punch have been up to. And I was hoping it would be another inFamous title.
Now I just have to see what Naugthy Dog is making for ps4 and I will definitely buy the system.

So pumped for this game. Amazing!!! :)

residentSteve 21 February, 2013 @ 6:18 pm   18

I could never get on with infamous I have both games for free on plus and the welcome back pack and just can’t play to much of them I don’t like the characters and enemies.
Hopefully they will have health packs in this has the regen health takes to long to recharge in infamous 1&2 for me.

lord_geek81 21 February, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   19

Seeing this game by sucker punch has made my mind up getting ps4 day one

another_gamer195 21 February, 2013 @ 6:38 pm   20

Will await further info before i can say if i am happy or not bout Second Son. Reading above comments is clear theres interest and Infamous fans here, can i ask if any of you’s are in ‘The shard’ club ?, like myself. that is the 349/350 shards from original game, what a headwrecker that one was/is, i spent Days looking for that last shard but never found it, then thought i try a online guide But found out i wasn’t alone, ‘apparently’ there ‘may’ be a glitch affecting ‘some’ playthroughs.. so i gave up on that one.. real shame because those ‘maybe’ wasted hours put me off playing Infamous2, got to chptr5or6, but (lol) the spark had just gone, for me.
As for the Ben Franklin quote, really ?. Have to say imo that if someone of stature were to make such a line these days, i believe he would No longer be respected. but i Can appreciate That kind of sentiment, in it’s era as being good, though still, it all depends on what situation you’re actually in, for it to become truly relevant.

residentSteve 21 February, 2013 @ 7:26 pm   21

More importantly nice new logo there sucker punch.

Kevman831 21 February, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   22

Freakin love inFamous 1 and 2. Greatest games i have played. So psyched about second son. But i have a problem. I got a PS3 not even 2 monthes ago. I CANNOT afford a PS4. I really hope they also for the PS3. I would love that.

Another, there are two things you can do. 1 start a new game, use the guide, make sure you cut the city into blocks and go through every single one.
Or, check the 351th shard, the one near Zekes roof that doesnt show up on the map, its sort of on some pillars sticking out of the sea, I know I got that in my run, but nonetheless it was my final one.
Apart from that theres nothing you can do, they made it too easy on 2 :X.

Kev, think about how likely that is, yes we are going to see some good games on the PS3 still, but I mean think about it, Diablo 3, is it going to be as good on the PS3 as the PS4? I doubt it.
a year after its release, are they still going to be making games that work on both or ones that push the PS4? Its unlkely many of these games will work on both, given that they would either not push the PS4, or involve making the game twice with worse grafix (on that note, whilst we cannot trust trailers or demos, if the grafix look like this it could be pretty to look at o_o, anything short of 1080p on every damn game is wasted potential >_>)

ExtremeGamer1995 22 February, 2013 @ 12:33 am   25

doesn’t seem very infamousy

It looks fantastic, though I hope that this will tie into the other games in some way, like having some of the characters featured even if it’s just a cameo or two.

tiago-kun 22 February, 2013 @ 9:52 pm   27

The presentation on stage was a bit dramatic, but it was awesome. I recognized that it was Sucker Punch, but for a brief moment I was confused that they were presenting watch dogs for some weird reason, like a partnership or something, fortunately it was a new infamous, I like both of them and the vampire stuff was pretty fun too, but returning to cole after that ending would be a bit weird.

So let’s see what this second son is all about, the powers looked something between a cross of fire and wind or magic purple stuff :P

Game looks great looking foward to playing it and seeing how the story works out…

another_gamer195 23 February, 2013 @ 1:22 pm   29

As above, it doesn’t seem very ‘inFamous’ly. though i haven’t seen enough yet to know for sure. after some thought i believe they could of made another infamous tie in, using Kessler’s (Coles) alternative story, that way it could both progress/build upon 1and2 and obviously include all the known (loved) characters from them.. in fact i reckon it is a waste to not have taken us down that path, though it can be done later if they believe they’d make something outa it. yeah i believe if i had a say in A games dev i would seriously consider spending it on something like that. but That would be one tough choice to make.. ie all the other possible games i would like to see being made.. roll on Next-Gen (not 4th), as maybe, just maybe anyone would be able to make their own aaa game.. well c/o some computer/sofware that is.. wonder of That one. lol, when i’m in my care home built on the moon it ‘might’ be the norm. along with real (sci-fi like) VR and flying cars, of course.