Posted 2:33am

The future of gaming is here with PlayStation 4

Today is an exciting day for gamers everywhere. As you may have seen live with millions of others across the world, just moments ago we introduced PlayStation 4 (PS4), our next-generation console that will deliver breakthrough gaming experiences for our fans starting this holiday season.

PlayStation 4 is centered on all of you – the gamers. It redefines rich and immersive gameplay with powerful graphics and speed, intelligent personalization, deeply integrated social capabilities, and innovative second-screen features. When we designed PlayStation 4, we focused on building an architecture that will allow the greatest game developers in the industry to push boundaries and dig deep within their imaginations to create the most immersive and unique games for you to enjoy.

KillZone Blast 3

The future of PlayStation is all about great games and entertainment, and at PlayStation Meeting 2013, we brought some of the brightest and most creative minds from the development community on stage to unveil the games that will define PS4. A partial initial lineup for PlayStation 4 includes first-party games from Guerilla Games (Killzone: Shadow Fall), Sucker Punch (inFamous Second Son), Evolution Studios (Driveclub), and Japan Studio (Knack), as well as titles from our partners such as Activision/Bungie (Destiny), Blizzard Entertainment (Diablo III), Capcom (Deep Down), and Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs). PlayStation also reinforced its commitment to self-publishing and the independent development community by having Jonathan Blow onstage who gave a sneak peek of his upcoming title The Witness. Finally, the incredible minds at Media Molecule and Quantic Dream gave glimpses of their conceptualization process and the future of gameplay with some remarkable footage.  We only scratched the surface at the event, and will have many more exciting titles to come.

With so much amazing content in development for PlayStation 4, we want to give our fans every opportunity to check out virtually any PS4 game when it becomes available. In the future, when a gamer sees a title of interest in PlayStation Store, they can immediately start playing a portion of the actual game.

Knack

Our next generation console will change the way you interact with friends while you play. PlayStation 4 lets you instantly share images and videos of your favorite gameplay moments on Facebook with a single press on the DUALSHOCK 4 controller’s “share” button. You can also broadcast while you play in real-time through Ustream, allowing friends to comment or jump into your game in new ways. Be sure to check out the post from Shu Yoshida, WWS President, for his thoughts on DUALSHOCK 4 and the “share” features.

With PlayStation 4 we also want you to access your games quicker than ever before. PS4′s “suspend mode” eliminates the load time on your saved game and allows you to immediately return to where you left off by pressing the power button. PlayStation 4′s background downloading and updating capability also allows you to immediately play digital titles as they download, or update the system when the hardware is powered off.

Controller View: 6

Leveraging PlayStation Network with Gaikai technology, PS4 will make it easier for you to play your favorite games and access content wherever you are. We see PS Vita as the ultimate companion device for PS4 and it’s our long-term vision to make most PS4 games playable on PS Vita, so you can bring your favorite games from the big-screen TV to your PS Vita over Wi-Fi. We’re also introducing a “PlayStation App” for iPhone, iPad, and Android devices that acts as a second screen, allowing for unique gameplay possibilities such as viewing maps during an adventure game or remotely watching friends play during an epic battle—right from a smartphone or tablet.

With so much to look forward to in 2013, I want to take a moment to thank you for following PlayStation through our incredible journey and allowing us to bring the most advanced hardware, software and networked gaming experiences into millions of homes around the world. We’re excited about this next chapter, and will continue to provide you with more details about PlayStation 4 and the broader PlayStation ecosystem, as we get closer to launch this holiday season.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

121 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Stonesthrow 21 February, 2013 @ 2:59 am   1

And thank you and yours for providing these products which have invariably enrichened my gaming life. I’m telling you, without Playstation I wouldn’t be much of a gamer. Loyal to the end! Although I am going to miss that perfectly elegant controller design I’ve enjoyed up untill now..

Super excited for Watch Dogs and Second Son, looking forward to seeing what else is in store for the PS4. :)

A little underwhelming really, You did something like the Wii U with just showing off the controller and a couple of games, hope E3 shows a lot more promise.
Also no backwards compatibility is a little off putting.

I will be buying one on day one.

“PlayStation Meeting 2013: The future of gaming is here with PlayStation 4
Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ
Today is an exciting day for gamers everywhere. As you may have seen live with millions of others across the world, just moments ago we introduced PlayStation 4 (PS4), our next-generation console that will deliver breakthrough gaming experiences for our fans starting this holiday season”

So does this mean an Xmas release for EU too? Not just Japan/USA and Europe the afterthought like it was with the PS3 introduction?

@Jamesyp00 You need to rewatch the first hour I think.

On Topic: Day one for me already! Great start :D! The also need some big surprises for E3 so I’m sure it gets even more awesome.

MASPALOMAZ 21 February, 2013 @ 4:17 am   7

The PS4 is doomed to FAIL because Sony doesnt care enough for customers. Only 1% of PS3 Owners have a Vita yet ps3 games keep getting removed from Plus to bring more vita titles.

@MASPALOMAZ – What the hell are you talking about?! This months PS Plus stuff had PS3 games. Your an idiot – until you know what your talking about dont comment here.

bitbydeath 21 February, 2013 @ 5:11 am   9

So is the Holiday 2013 launch worldwide?
Please say yes

Jamesyp00 21 February, 2013 @ 5:27 am   10

@genjiboy
You mean the part where they say there’s no backwards compatibility and only streaming old titles with no explanation on if the service will cost or not? I’m not 100% on board with the PS4 just yet, i’m hoping that E3 will show off the console in a better light, Less Specs more games and information.

I’m guessing this is just a copy and paste from the US PS blog? But I hope PS4 releases in PAL regions in Holiday 2013. Anyway the games for the system look amazing. Can’t wait for new info. Hope Second Son is a launch title.

1 = nice controler
2 = i hope if u bring 2 models , lowest version 320 gb. max 400 €

3 = I knew that the price ps + abo would also change, hope rumors € 89 not be true! i like to see :

Make three different versions of ps + (world)
A-25 € bronze abonement = cloud saves 2gb + 2 games instant collection to choose from six games ( every month ).

B-50 € silver abonement = cloud save 4gb + 4 games instant collection to choose from ( every month ) 6 games +% on game/dlc prices.

C-90 € gold abonement = cloud save 4gb + 6 games instant collection to choose from ( every month ) +%prices on games/dlc + or streaming or 10/12 game free one 1 jear.

i am not intrested in u streaming so i only pay silver version
if u lounch only 89€ version = i am no more ps+ / world member .

We can only hope for a world wide launch, if Nintendo and Apple can do it, i dont see why Sony cant.
Lets hope that sony Europe dont tarnish the Playstation 4 experience like they have with Playstation 3.
My hopes are better online management including universal store across all Sony regions or at the very least one submission process for all stores Sony wide. I dread to think how the SCEE team could destroy Playstation Cloud with their archaic QA processes, localization hurdles, price gouging compared to US$ and generally unpleasant online customer service experience.

i nowh 1 ting = if sony not louch = no games

i not gone buy diablo 3 / bf4 on ps3 if u have ps4 version coming , also alraedy canseld gta v ( to late )

MASPALOMAZ 21 February, 2013 @ 6:43 am   15

it is ridiculous how almost half the games of ps plus are now VITA games that replaced full ps3 games, while 99% of people only have the ps3 and want ps3 games ! please fix this today sony ! if you need to have vita games in plus make them ADDITIONAL not as a replacement for ps3 titles.

Dark-Twisted 21 February, 2013 @ 6:44 am   16

@8

The PS+ service on PS3 is greater than ever. You’ve never gotten less PS3 games at the hands of the Vita. Some people, damn.

I really really hope remote playing is going to be possible like on Wii U. I want to play games on my lap and not only through entire room with TV. This tablets and smartphones app is interesting to me tostream games through them. But i wonder if everything is going to be done with a cost of internet or bluetooth or what else..
And yeah, backwards compatibility *sigh*

I hope the PS4 will offer full PS2 BC this time, so I can play my PS2 disc games over HDMI, using a wireless Dualshock controller and using virtual memory cards; like how I can play my PS1 games on the PS3.

Also hope that Nier 1080p HD, Valkyria Chronicles 1080p HD and the Yakuza series 1080p HD are re-released for the PS4.

And finally I hope that Sony will continue to improve the selection of classic PS1 & PS2 games on EU PSN, like the Suikoden series.

Ah a PS4. And why should I buy that?

Does it include a singspam icon?
Does it include OtherOS?
Does it include a webbrowser that shows everything without crashing the console?
Does it include the option to set your personal preferences in the menu like:
- Showing incoming messages as popup but not the user X comes online and user Y goes offline?
- Never ask me to go online when starting a Bluray movie?
- Does it included locked savegames?

I could go on and on, but have to get to work, sorry…

Sony and Playstation are the best! And keep making products. I look soo
forward too PS4!

I won’t ever buy a console in wich I can’t play my PS3 games! I spent a lot of money to buy them in collection boxes and I think it’s stupid to lose the chance to play them again in new console ad it’s very stupid to still keep both PS3 and PS4 console only for playing old games! Sony don’t respect its costumers, expecially European ones. In the past, only Japan and American customers could buy a console with retrogaming chip while in Europe we must accept a software emulator. Stop joking with us! I won’t give any cent to you until you won’t respect me. You’re the worst company ever!

GhostDog369 21 February, 2013 @ 7:38 am   22

Just 2 questions:

When exactly?

and

How much?

Please :)

Intelligent personalization – so no more forced Singstarlike icons? No PSN Store icons everywhere?

Deeply integrated social capabilities – you mean annoying deeply integrated Tracebook without choice to get rid off it (same as Sony Xperia phones)?

PlayingCasually 21 February, 2013 @ 8:07 am   24

Hm, Jack Tretton of SCEA is signing an article on SCEE’s blog. So no one in SCEE knows anything? Again seems like SCEE is a complete outsider of this presentation. Thank you Sony for your care. Just go and make Europe the last region to launch PS4. If you don’t care about us, I don’t care for your new console also. You may treat me like **** once, but you cannot do it twice.

let me guess,europe will be the last getting the console right?
their best market getting their new console last :)
sony being sony .

I assume it’s downloads only for the PS4,or am I wrong. If that’s true, why did you let me buy a 600 euro costing console and have me buy PS3 games and movies on blue ray which are now worthless on the PS4? If this is true then (and I’m a fan since PS1) the PS3 and Vita were the last machines I bought from Sony……

I must admit – everything looks neat and all, very promising… I’ll definitely will bee looking for more news.

But – let me guess. Most of those additional services will be available only for Japan/US/UK, right? Maybe you’ll lower the price of console due that? I’m also curious how SCE will handle all that online and sharing across the world when they can’t even get to release games on time in different parts of the world…

I hope I’m just a pessimist (or, rather, realist with experience)… And I hope I’ll be mistaken. But we will see I guess.

razordude 21 February, 2013 @ 8:13 am   28

Well for me that stream was unwatchable. Gave up after 40 mins. Hope there’s a full recording?

As for the stuff I saw, that tony touchpad redefines gimmick and the architecture basically looks like a PC – assume that Xbox720 will be the same. So, I already have a powerful PC and I’ve been happier with the prices on PC digital services. I also have £1000 of PSN purchese and my IGC from plus so I would like to be able to play these on a new console – not just have streaming access to them.

undergroundgr 21 February, 2013 @ 8:17 am   29

thank you sony.amazing meeting,amazing news.can’t wait.

Keijisan90 21 February, 2013 @ 8:35 am   30

Well this is disappointing, no backwards compatibility, suggests no discs? and all this talk about streaming this and that and a lot of downloading, this might work if everyone had an ideal connection and there were no bandwidth caps, but considering how severley limiting internet connection is for a lot of people, this is bound to do poorly in sales from this alone

also i sincerley hope they give us an option to disable all the social features they showed, they look straight up terrible

Excellent presentation, a lot of interesting, looking forward. Many thanks!!! It was GREAT!!!
About all your games on the PS3… This is called progress, why you did not cry when throwing your VYS. Keep your PS3 and enjoy it, it’s not a big deal.)
Sorry for my english)))

I mean VHS)

TrueMurton 21 February, 2013 @ 9:24 am   33

Just want to tidy up some of the misconceptions.

1: PS4 is using discs. Sony made this very clear last year. Current day download speeds aren’t up to the task of downloading this gen’s games in a timely fashion so it certainly won’t do next gens.

2: Backwards compatibility won’t work inside the box, the hardware is just too different. While it looks like there will be some sort of streaming solution there is an alternative if you want to play your PS3 games: keep your PS3. Selling it second hand today would get you less than £100, how much will you get for it when the PS4 is out? You’ll be lucky to get two extra games for it.

3: It looks like European release date is still to be decided based on this interview: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-sounds-uncertain-about-european-ps4-launch-timing – Yoshida says is depends on production numbers and demand estimates. Looks like Sony are playing safe and avoiding promising a global launch then failing deliver one as they did with the PS3 but won’t go as far as to say Europe is definitely delayed as they did with Vita. We’ll have to wait until E3 or possibly PAX to find out more.

Ware is our 10 bucks for loyalty ???????????

Robinworldwide 21 February, 2013 @ 9:53 am   35

@MASPALOMAZ

Whenever you’re on here all you do is complaining while it turns out you really don’t have a clue. The Vita games on the IGC did not replace PS3 games, they already are ADDITIONAL. You still get the exact same amount of PS3 titles as you did before they introduced Vita games to Plus so your whole point is moot. If you’re so unhappy over things that only exist in your mind then just leave and buy another console, i’m sure i won’t miss your whining on the threads around here.

OT: Awesome reveal, i was most impressed by Watch Dogs and hope there’s gonna be some more announcements on E3 (Naughty Dog anyone?). Little disappointed about not seeing the actual PS4 console but this way we still have something to look forward to!! :)

As much as I am excited, if you guys will keep treating big 5 EU countries better than the rest like you do it this generation then I am out of this bus.

I don’t want delays because games have to have those 4 additional languages in EU versions; it is just stupid, delay them in those 4 countries not the whole Europe. Also a global digital store would be very welcome…

Will keep an eye for more news, I really like my PS3, but my experience got totally ruined due to the fact that even though I am living in European Union I still need to import most of the games I play….

The meeting impressed me, it seemed like they were holding back allot of the stuff they should have done a long time ago for the PS4, like seeing how many of your friends own each game.

I am going to buy a Playstation 4 day one, I am an American living in the UK for the time being and as such I did not get the $10 for being a loyal customer, but I don’t see store credit to be the perfect reward from SCE. It’s supply and demand, we buy their products and they reward us with better ones, we invest in each other to get more out of each other.

The only things I didn’t really like is PS3 being available via the cloud… eventually which for sony could be a long time and I do not want to re-buy PS3 games I already own to replay them on my PS4, I expect to still be wanting to play PS allstars in a year and beyond with my roommates and I would like to do it on my PS4 when I have it. The Media Molecule stuff let me down a bit, who knows it could turnout to be great, but what they showed did not excite me in the way the LBP games did, also I own a Move and yet I still believe it should have been left behind in the new generation, as Sony did not force people to support it enough and in the right way.

ReikoBarley 21 February, 2013 @ 10:02 am   38

I still want to know when the rejected countries get PSN connection or even their country in the country list. Estonians (and others) have been forced to use wrong country for 7 years to even get free demos.

XnoobsquadX 21 February, 2013 @ 10:10 am   39

Really dissapointed about the lack of vita news the future is nowhere near to be seen>,<

will ps4 be released this year or?

Huono_peleis 21 February, 2013 @ 10:24 am   41

So what really was announced?

PS4 is coming at some point and it will have a price tag. There are some new games being developed to it that will be released sooner or later. PS4 will force-fed you with all kind of social media humbug and the new controller is but ugly.

So not much really to get overly excited…

Once a Playstation Fan Always a Playstation Fan pre-orderd from game late last night thanks again the Dev team and sony

Looked BRILLIANT the PS4 stuff :P :P :P I am ‘Jumping in’(again)(well i never ‘Jumped out!) :D

Cant wait !

The pad looks slick but its interesting that there is no Start nor Select buttons… Also, it’s great we can see the pad but… WHERE’S A PHOTO OF THE CONSOLE?! All this hype and no pic of the machine…?! What’s the point in that…?! Lol

@TrueMorton #33

spot on.
to include backwards compatability would jack the price of the console up exponentially.
as it did with PS3. they had to remove backwards compatability from the PS3 to lower the price. im lucky enough to have an old school PS3 that can play PS2 and PS games. and so… ill be keeping it!

in terms of release date in the EU, the price, and the look of the thing, they were never going to announce too much last night.
they need to save something for E3, and other expos.
they will make those announcements, but in their way. ie. grand and spectacular.
bring on PS3.

very very excited, and will definitely be buying mine on launch.

*bring on E3

VIPERGTS01 21 February, 2013 @ 11:10 am   48

So… as great as the PS4 sounds (it really does) the future of Playstation is shown off today with PS4, yet the Playstations biggest selling franchise title wasn’t even mentioned :( (Gran Turismo)

Please tell me it will return to E3, which it has been strangely absent from in the last two years.

dark_angel69 21 February, 2013 @ 11:31 am   49

I want the PS4 soooo much :( I kept telling myself that my PS3 has so much life in it and not ready to move on just yet but dammit that show blew my mind. I look at my PS3 as if its a PS1 now. lol. But anyway, so many exciting games to come that will keep me busy until the release of the PS4. It’s a defo day 1 buy from me no-matter what Microsoft does. They don’t even do any decent games like Killzone, inFamous and loads more.

There are so many questions that needs asked but in time I’m sure I will get the answers

what about ps plus user? wii be on ps4? Gaikai service? wiil be free? or including to plus? is to good to be free! what is the future for the ps3? after 4 comes out? price drop? Home will continue to run? the driver is blu ray? the hdd is ssd? how much ps4 cost? i don’t have 750 euro like i spent to the ps3 day one :) that’s some questions ps3 gamers want answers now :)

CYB3RGHQST 21 February, 2013 @ 11:44 am   51

same on you Sony… Were is the console ??? We dont need a console just only on papers. :(

European_Gamer 21 February, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   52

Jack Tretton on the European blog, that’s rare.

the successfulness of the ps4 is going to be heavily influenced on whether the cloud based streaming of ps3 games allows you to play your games or requires you to rebuy all your games.

i already rebought my ps2 games for ps3 I WILL NOT BE DOING IT AGAIN.
if sony seriously expects me to rebuy my ps3 games i will be switching to xbox.

im probably one of the most loyal sony fans in the world ive defended it for years against xbox fans but theres only so many kicks in the nuts i can take before i (along with many other fans) give up on the company completely.

make your choice wisely sony.

…when a gamer sees a title of interest in PlayStation Store, they can immediately start playing a portion of the actual game.

With a store that is slow and consumer unfriendly like hell (we still can’t do selections on our bought digital content), a store team that is as broken as the store itself and the slowest download times in the world, your focus on “online” is beond believeble.

ALso no word on second hand games, always online, the cost to use all these function and the roll out for Gaikai that is supposed to roll out slowly (probably as slowly as the comic store, movie store, Mobile, etc), again unbelieveble.

You lost my trust in the last 6 years, please PROVE me wrong.

EggersTownVille 21 February, 2013 @ 12:21 pm   55

I am so happy and excited by what you shared with us today.

Ps4 has exceeded my expectations and dreams !

EternalChaos72 21 February, 2013 @ 12:32 pm   56

these guys did not mention about the ps store being global!! cmon SCEE damnit

now after the PS4 announcement if i were at SCEE i’d make sure to secure all those singstar-offended ps3 users for a next gen purchase by giving then a possibility to use their ps3 the same way again how all the years before singstar spam, singstar spam needs to go away in favor of PS4 sales , or is singstar more important than more PS4 sales?

all we ask for is a removal option , the people that like this addition can continue enjoying it , but those who wish it wouldnt never appear there could continue using the ps3 the way they were used to with a singstar free interface, is that too much to ask for? making everyone happy should be the top priority for any company

Not sure what to expect after immediately buying the ps3 on its release date (around £630) and having it break down after 18-24 months and paying out over a £100 to Sony for a replacement. That then died on me and a third replacement was received.
When the third one started to make the same noises and have the same issues I couldn’t bear to go through the whole process of reloading all the games again etc. etc. So I purchased a Slim and overnight transferred everything over to that then had the wait for Sony to allow my Singstar purchases to be used on the slim.
So will I be putting my faith and money immediately into Sony new hardware, Mmm, given that it will not play ps3 games that I own has made that decision much easier. Sorry Sony but as a very very loyal customer I feel that I can’t risk investing in your hardware from scratch. I might have taken the risk if there was backward compatibility but no way am I going through the nightmare of having 4 units in 6 years, I’ll wait and see what the riability is like.

So, any comments on this, Sony?

“People in Europe always complain that they’re last even when sometimes some things are exclusive to European consumers,” Sony Worldwide Studios boss Shuhei Yoshida told me earlier tonight following the PlayStation 4 reveal in New York.

You can [expletive] right off if you think that’s an attitude that’s going to endear you to European consumers.

The end of my previous post should read

4 units in 6 years again I’ll wait and see what the reliability is like before putting misplaced loyalty and trust before hard earned cash.

supersmith2500 21 February, 2013 @ 1:09 pm   61

Well, least the PS4 can still play used games which is a great thing and not to mention great games too. All it matters now when is out for Europe? If Microsoft does decide to lock used games however. Sony could well win next gen.

extermin8or_ 21 February, 2013 @ 1:30 pm   62

GAME UK seem to be suggesting they expect a 2013 luanch can one of you PLEASE confirm if that’s the plan? Also day 1 :) Watch Dogs, Killzone and Drive club- got to ask why not killzone 4? Surely for marketing that’d have fit better- although I actually prefer the shadow fall title I think it showed the new direction the series seems to have taken quite well, and its certainly going to make the series better :) in my opinion

Some of the stuff last night looked spectacular. The Killzone demo was just an “Oh Wow!” moment for me just looking at the effects being employed as well as the draw distances. Then there was a lot of hype about stuff I’m not really all that interested in. But it all seemed to be building up to a finale that would show us this fabulous new bit of kit… thank you… good bye…

Wait! was that it? Where’s the new machine???? Seriously I stayed up until 1am to be shown a controller I’d seen leaked weeks ago and a few tech demos??? So now I’m sat at work, tired, and feeling like I’ve been robbed.

On top of that, we’ll most likely not see the unit in Europe before next March. The rest of the world will get it before Christmas and then we’ll get it the wrong side of Christmas.. AGAIN!!!.

Then to top that we’ll no doubt have to pay the extra for it over here like we always do, due to the usual $1=£1 so if it’s $500 in the US, it’ll end up being £500 and 5 months late…

Can’t wait for the PS4 to be released, it will Bring A Hole New Level To Gaming, I Like The Sound Of The Share Feature. I Hope That There Will Be Many More 3D Features Available On The PS4.

The PS3 IS Not An “Old” Console And Still Has Much More Time Left In It, The PS4 Will Be A Fantastic New Gaming Experience.

The big question is: Will it launch worldwide, or will we Europeans get shafted like all the previous consoles?

If Sony manages to pull off so we got it as the Americans and Japanese, then I would be pleasently suprised. The showing yesterday was fantastic (Gaikai, 8GB GDDR5 RAM, Line up etc), so they’ve aced everything thus far.

Keep it up Sony, and give us what we want! We’ll thank you with our wallets!

Whilst it looks nice and all, theres nothing that screams out to me to buy as soon as possible.

Plan to make do with what I have and take stock of the situation a year or so after release.

Got plenty of stuff to keep me going till then.

Carnivius_Prime 21 February, 2013 @ 2:02 pm   67

Sounds lika a great machine but none of the games shown interested me (apart from a new inFamous) and the lack of backwards compatibilty is a bit of a killer for me and also has made me ponder whether I should even buy anymore PS3 games from now on if I can’t play them on a new machine.

Strangeheaven 21 February, 2013 @ 2:07 pm   68

Where is THE LAST GUARDIAN? I will not be buying a ps4 untill this game gets released.
I only watched the sony event last night for two things,The Last Guardian and the actual design of the ps4, but neither showed up.

Sony should unveil the ps4 design by e3.Plus three top games,

The Last Guardian ( demo gameplay )
Final Fantasy versus ( demo gameplay )
Agent ( Demo Gameplay )

SlonyPayStation 21 February, 2013 @ 2:18 pm   69

First off I want to CONGRATULATE Sony with a successful, impressive and respectful (and exiting of course) new console. The 8GB of fast RAM is promising! Keeping the console geared towards gamers (first) will pay off in the long run, those gamers will keep on supporting you! Joyed to hear programming will be easier for the new hardware which will resemble a PC in ways. This will get the maximum out of the console way earlier and developers will be able to really put the pedal to the medal and step on the gas with PS4 and seek out it’s absolute limits. Always pleased to see when creativity get’s a voice, just like the fact Sony gave unusual games a chance. I really hope the PS4 will be the platform of choice for indie developers (or at least just as good a alternative to Valve’s Steam on the PC). I’m thrilled. A console with respect towards the gamer, respect towards the developers and respect towards the indie community.
All in all a very promising and exiting start and very proud that the biggest tile, Killzone: SF is from Dutch soil (Guerrilla studios Amsterdam). Again, CONGRATULATIONS!

Chaosprower 21 February, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   70

So…until Europe gets the PS4 (whenever that may be), what’s the point in purchasing PS3 games? Will the Gaikai streaming work with already purchased PS3 games on the Store or we’ll have to rebuy all the “PS3 classics”? If the online services on the PS3 and the PS Vita are one dissapointment after another, what makes you think PS4 will be any different?

Will the full Show be on PSN soon? In 1080p to would be cool! :P I NEED IT!!! :D

@supersmith2500

Nothing was mentioned about used games at all so there is no news at all about if it will or won’t play used games.
In fact disc based gaming was not even mentioned last night, when talking about spec of console they talked about CPU,gpu, memory and hard drive inside the unit there was no mention of a blu ray drive at all.

Looking forward to e3 to see more about the ps4.

And people saying there getting an Xbox next gen should think about waiting till its announced as it may also have no bc or not play used games ect.

As for the ‘no mention of a blu ray drive at all’ line that I’ve seen countless times recently:

Note in the spec list:

“Optical Drive (read only)
BD 6xCAV
DVD 8xCAV”

Are we going to get to download the whole press conference one the PSN Store?

@iapetus

Thanks for the link, it was not spoken about at the show but good to see someone got answers after the show.

Same for the drive info again they never mentioned it during the presentation.

I agree with most people here.
On-ps3 sony has taught us that ps2 was not important. Why would we even want ps3 games on ps4? just keep your ps3 to play at your next ps4.
Purchased psn games should be playable without streaming (download limit)
-No singstar spam (but manage your own icons)
-Share = not necessary, I am single person. text mesage and find more than enough (although that would be easier to use a text pop up in game with your friends will be able to chat via text while gaming)

new-ps + service severals options bronze – gold siver (i not paying ps + cloud streaming)
-Corecte prices + faster prices fall instead of digital games against 69 €
Europe-most important market so first to ps4 to lounch in these countries + all countries equally important rich find.

update = i read psn games + saves also not on ps4 :(

good , i then only buy terraria on psn ( then ps3 erra closed to me , so instead of buying games to ps3 on holydays i wil save mony to buy games on ps4 )

P-i-m-p-3-k 21 February, 2013 @ 4:06 pm   79

The best SE was able to “produce” for PS4 event was last years Luminous Engine demo? And that we’ll see a new FF title at E3? How about they 1st release a game that they announced 6 years ago (FF XIII vs), or 2 years ago (FF X HD)…

hope the ps4 comes out be4 christmas for the uk :p plus theres a gd few games coming out for it not like the ps3 when that first came out there was only a couple of games when that came out on its release date

CoolRichy008UK 21 February, 2013 @ 5:19 pm   81

as long as all our ps3 downloads ps3 HOME stuff moves over to ps4 AND SONY WILL DO THIS or everyone wont buy a ps3 il be happy

SONY READ THIS

transfr all our stuff to ps4 downloads/trophies/pshome stuff
AND ADD PS HOME TO PS4 or all 32million users of that will be angry

we will all be happy do it or else il forse you for a massive refund on everything sony

Guys this is Tretton’s first post on the EU Blog :)

I really loved the presentation and the PS4 looks awesome. Sadly I won’t be getting it without Backwards Compatibility

I really can’t be dealing with losing my digital content every few years when I can buy a steambox and continue to enjoy me collection. I understand there being technological restraints but to just say that at some point maybe some games will be available is just not enough :(

Not enough games not enough gameplays… But hardware and philosophy realy interesting! Please more info quickly!!!

Ehh I sm s major playstation fan, always have been since PS1, but considering GTA5′s coming out around the same point, and considering I have loads to catch up on yet like far cry 3 and AC3, and so many more it would fill this blog, Im Holding off for atleast a year

And No Disc Based Backwards Compatibility :(

supersmith2500 21 February, 2013 @ 6:47 pm   86

Sounds like the you won’t be able to transfer saves from what I heard. Well, sounds like I’m keeping my PS3.

another_gamer195 21 February, 2013 @ 7:27 pm   87

What happens to our trophy count ?. not that it matters much but, i can’t see how they can transfer our present count over onto a non-backwards compat machine.. should i start spending money on xbox games now, ?. as i believe achievements will both carry on and prob more importantly, actually still retain their present value, being whatever that is to different people, then again ps3s trophies never were a part of the original picture, where as $box’s are prob it’s only redeeming feature.. can’t wait for more info on that, as well as the more (lol) important stuff.. as for it ps4, not being backwards-compat, well i don’t really care myself.. as a few have said allready i also have Way to much (Good) games still to play, plus upcoming ones that’ll add to them.. so day1 isn’t going to happen for me whenever they remember about them strange people outside of the US.. ie you/me.. every other european consumer.. i mean they even call us consumers !, US of course called Customers..

obiadekanobi1980 21 February, 2013 @ 7:33 pm   88

Hey Sony awesome stuff but i want to know if all my digital products that I have bought are going to come with me, i don’t care if it’s in digital downloads on the ps4, or all the content on the streaming service, i still in theory own it, by being a loyal PSN customer for over 6 years or so now so i see my products as a long term investment, thinking that you cant pull the same backwards (CENSORED) twice i bought loads, invested in playstation plus from nearly day 1…..

Now to find out i cannot put in a ps3 game and just boot, or start one of my many digital titles, it up has upset me to say the least.

I hope this will be one of the main things addressed at E3 this year along with proof of the remote play working with at least 5-10 of the 1st and 3rd party titles otherwise i wiil have to, sadly jump ship and its not going to be the next Xbox neither let me tell you…

MR-DAIDq8 21 February, 2013 @ 8:17 pm   89

I WELL BUY IT IN 1# DAY! HAHA HAHA

ApokNyneWheel 21 February, 2013 @ 8:52 pm   90

I was seriously considering getting a PS4, until they dropped the bombshell that PS3 games purchased on PSN will NOT be compatible with the PS4. Now I have ZERO interest.

Sony, you’ve just lost a sale.

super

robby-dog 21 February, 2013 @ 9:28 pm   92

I am curious is this console going to offer backwards compatability or are we going to have to purchase all 4 consoles in order to play our library? Also I’m curious about the durability of the hardware, I mean the graphics are very impressive as with the ps3 and the heat the ps3 generated caused the ylod so I was out of a console and don’t plan on purchasing another that isn’t backwards compatible. What has Sony done different to ensure that this problem won’t happen with the ps4?

SlonyPayStation 21 February, 2013 @ 9:53 pm   93

robby-dog the 8 core CPU make sure it’s so effective they probably won’t even have to cool the CPU, making it much more silent as well.the ram is more then ample. the hardware is very promising. if they pushed it even further no-one would be able to effort one, jagging up the price way to much. basically, we couldn’t asked for more.

8GB GDDR5? Day one bro, Day one!

i allready love the new console, i love sony xD

400€ is a little bit low o.o.. i would spend more for a powerful system!

Great SHOW btw!

declan__watson 21 February, 2013 @ 10:44 pm   95

Hello Mr Tretton
Im very excited for the launch of the PlayStation 4, I still have all my old generation PlayStation consoles, including this generation ones the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita and with the PlayStation 4 coming this holiday season, looks like I have what im getting for Christmas. :)
I think the idea of the PlayStation application to use smartphones and tablets for second screen gaming is a fantastic idea and as an owner of an Xperia S smartphone, id look forward to trying this application out.
I just want to say a big ThankYou very much Mr Tretton and to all your team at SCEA and Sony for 12 years of amazing gaming and entertainment and I look forward to the future, I believe the PlayStation Brand will go on forever. I am a Big Fan Of Sony and PlayStation one day id like to work for the PlayStation Brand.
ThankYou very much for your time Mr Tretton. :)

@87 ur mad thinkin that latest i would say is mid 2014 not 2 year from now lol

I hope this whole social integration and putting facebook everywhere. I’m a gamer, but not a dork or nerd and I don’t wanna everyone to see that, I don’t wanna integrate my console with social services. I hope I’ll be able to disable it all so that I won’t even be seeing any icons asking me to share it with someone. I’m old school, I just want to play my game. Nothing more.

Wow, a post by Jack Tretton himself :)

Well, Mr. Tretton – keep it up, you don’t need to do a lot of convincing for me. As a PlayStation owner ever since the first PSX came out, the PS4 will be a blind buy for me.

Long live play! :)

No BC means I will not buy PSN titles on 3 or 4.I’ll be honest I stopped buying digital a while back until this issue was resolved. I gladly support content if I see good value (PS plus) and the PSN collection I own.

But being told I have to start again,it’s BS.I don’t want two systems plugged in if I want to play PS3 software vs my brother, or if I fancy a spin on God Hand, Hustle King’s and anything else I own.
Retail stuff I’m not bothered about,but killing my digital library is a no no.

I thought the event was good overall, but will need a serious think and look at all the options at launch. I’m not brand locked now so have no loyalty again.

Shopto have it at £399.85 with an RRP of £450 (could change)
and controllers at £45
No mention of an RD (likely months or a year after the golden child) or whats bundled with it however, assuming they come with the strange camera, expensive (though not as much as I had expected tbh o_O) controller, heck we might actually see a headset with it
Was there any mention of confirmed CGC?

superbeast321 22 February, 2013 @ 2:07 am   101

All I want to know is will we finally get all the content of still be stuck with sony’s EU branch that has us waiting for months after the NA releases to get games? The connections means nothing if we still mis out on great games like counter strike global operations.

tshukino 22 February, 2013 @ 5:20 am   102

All I want to know is what’s going to happen with my digital collection after the transition to next gen PS.???

omega_alpha-619 22 February, 2013 @ 6:00 am   103

@ tshukino

Your digital collection will continue to sit on your Ps3 like it always has. If you want to keep them than hold onto your Ps3. It’s pretty simple isn’t it? I don’t see the problem here.

monoliet 22 February, 2013 @ 6:06 am   104

9/10 sony fails to lounch world wide the ps4 global on same date ,
them are not nitendo/ms .

LinLeigh 22 February, 2013 @ 7:35 am   105

@omega_alpha-619

Well not really is it. What happens if your PS3 dies? What will happen 5 years from now when the PS3 is no longer made? Will we still be able to use the old PSN?

These are not weird questions to ask. Any music or movie I have bought in at least the last 10 years is still completely usable.

Most PC games I have bought in the last 10 years are still playable even though it might take some rigging.

Now I could understand (still be annoyed and would be weary of being digital copies) if they said hey all those PS3 games will eventually be streamed through Gaikai without extra cost but don’t worry all the PS1 and PS2 games you bought again will be transferred.

Now if you don’t care that is fair enough but to pretend there is no problem for other people is just a little bit silly. The fact that people complain shows there is a problem whether or not you think they are just whingers.

Shadowless_Will 22 February, 2013 @ 9:47 am   106

its same old sony big let downs bigger price tag same as always

GunstarHeroX 22 February, 2013 @ 10:31 am   107

Hey look, it’s the first screenshot of the European PS4 interface.

AshesArise 22 February, 2013 @ 10:33 am   108

When does the next batch of ps+ content get announced?

Huono_peleis 22 February, 2013 @ 11:28 am   109

Nevermind the future of gaming. How about the present?

What happened to the March Plus content blogpost?

weaselEST 22 February, 2013 @ 11:33 am   110

Will you introduce new localized PSN accounts with PS4? You are still missing Estonia for example.
You like to sell you products here, but are not willing to invest in localizing PSN.

BiGsMoO7ke 22 February, 2013 @ 11:40 am   111

Sony needs to get Battlefield 4 as a launch title :)

Karoom07_ 22 February, 2013 @ 11:51 am   112

good luck for ps4

Karoom07_ 22 February, 2013 @ 11:54 am   113

arabic language please please please in ps4

Awesome Sony…can’t wait for e3 :)

Everton4life 22 February, 2013 @ 1:35 pm   115

I watched the entire conference like I’m sure many others here did and I was very impressed. Straight to the point on the system, its specs and then the games. Sure we didn’t see the system itself but hey, they gotta have something for E3. The games of course are a big leap from what they are now and if you’re a gamer you will be excited by this. I know I am. Just hoping the cost is not too much and it will release in Ireland near enough to the US and Japan release date. I excited. The future is here, some have said maybe a little bit earlier than needed, but I think timing is just about right. We still have many games to look forward to on the PS3 before PS4 release. Until then I cant wait to get the next batch of details about it.

NARUTOJEN 22 February, 2013 @ 3:42 pm   116

what i want to know right now is can the ps4 play ps3 games if it does i will get it by tradeing in the ps3 to get the ps4 but if not they can forget it i can afford to stay in trend pluss i love my ps3 games

I’ve spent quite alot on my ps3′s, and i wont be buying ps4, nor do i care to re-buy all my digital games. Cloud service? yeah right, it will no doubt take you 4 years after ps4 release to get it working, sony make cheap half-hearted rubbish these days, I lol’d at the “were know what your want to play” bs, spamstar anyone? yeah i can just picture the new xmb LoL, the whole announcement went like this “blah, blah, blah, blah, blah”

monoliet 22 February, 2013 @ 4:58 pm   118

I’ve read an article that games can be blocked by publishers to block 2 markt.
each publisher decides for itself , I dare to bet that ea. ubisoft go 1st
and sony will follow very soon as well as all the rest.

I hope them keep to their word that no longer whe need online pas
and also to lower prices of games when them lounch tags on games .

if not = lots lesser sel wil be a fact .

Post from Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida…

When it comes to transferring other PSN purchases to the PS4, Yoshida said, “We know who purchased what as a record. But we are working on service plans, and we haven’t decided yet.”

service plans….

tiesto90909 22 February, 2013 @ 11:17 pm   120

Iam looking forward to get it on my hands! Why Europe is the last country which ‘ll get it?

Btw ps4 has nice specs (pc-like)and i hope to buy it as soon as i gather the money!

Thanks Sony for your wonderful presentation!

Today is an exciting day for gamers everywhere