Posted 4:00pm

Willem Dafoe to star alongside Ellen Page in BEYOND: Two Souls

BEYOND: Two Souls

Last year at E3, we announced the much anticipated title from Quantic Dream, the makers of Heavy Rain. BEYOND: Two Souls is a psychological action thriller starring Oscar nominee Ellen Page (Inception, Juno) in the lead role of Jodie Holmes.

BEYOND tells the story of Jodie, a young woman who’s known since birth that she is different from everyone else. She possesses supernatural powers through her psychic link to an invisible entity she calls Aiden, and this gift has changed her life forever. In BEYOND, you’ll play through 15 years of Jodie’s story, experiencing the most striking moments of her life, in what promises to be one of the most thrilling and emotional journeys on PS3.

Today we’re very pleased to announce that Ellen will be joined by another Oscar nominee in Willem Dafoe (Platoon, Spider-Man) who will star as Nathan Dawkins, a government scientist who works with Jodie to analyse her powers.

BEYOND: Two Souls

At a later stage we’ll have lots more to reveal on the interplay between Nathan and Jodie in the game (no spoilers today!), but suffice to say they form a compelling bond and together deliver some of the most unique and powerful scenes yet seen in gaming.

We’ve got a gameplay trailer for you today showcasing an early scene from the game in which Nathan first meets a young Jodie (played by a child actress, not Ellen), and including some sneak peeks at other scenes from the game:

And we’ve got an interview with Willem talking about his role in the game:

We can also announce today that BEYOND: Two Souls is coming to PS3 in October 2013. So we’ll have plenty of news and videos to share with you in the coming weeks and months.

Any questions, just add them below.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

26 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

dohnut744 1 March, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   1

This is great news, love willem brilliant actor, and not your typical hollywood actor i.e up his own rectum.

Stonesthrow 1 March, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   2

I wonder why they went for more well known talent this time around..
In any case, can’t wait for this.

Jamesyp00 1 March, 2013 @ 4:23 pm   3

Can we also get the special edition over here in the uk too?
AND NOT GAME OR RETAILER EXCLUSIVE EITHER!!
You do that and it’s no money from me.

MordecaiHunter 1 March, 2013 @ 4:24 pm   4

it looks incredible without doubt my most anticipated game in ’13, and i cant wait to see what Quantic Dream can come up with on the ps4

Looking very much forward to this.
Willem Dafoe is a very good actor, can’t wait!

Silent_Gig 1 March, 2013 @ 4:32 pm   6

I verbally shouted OH S–T when i saw this post title, i said it again when i saw the screens and now im spazzing on the floor because of the video.

Imagine what will happen when i play this game!?

looks awesome !!! :)

What’s with the exact date for NA and no such thing for Europe? It’s being made in Europe for Christ sake.

TR-yunus 1 March, 2013 @ 4:48 pm   9

good news :)

Is there a chance that this game will come to the PS4? Because of the october release. Would be awesome :-D

Spedfrom 1 March, 2013 @ 4:58 pm   11

The movement of the lips is still to awkward and stiff. It hardly moves enough for how the words sound. It’s like the characters have a pronounced lip paralysis.

I might be putting on the nostalgia glasses, but I didn’t think it was an issue with Heavy Rain. But that was almost 3 years ago, maybe I’ve been spoiled by more recent games, when it comes to lip-synching. In any case, the standard has gone up and what we’ve seen in this new trailer, in regards to lip-synching, isn’t acceptable any longer.

Lucreto 1 March, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   12

Wow Willem Dafoe That is good news.

Every time I hear his voice now I think of the Polar bear in the Bird’s Eye adverts.

I am looking forward to playing this game.

an-inFamous1337 1 March, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   13

Alwas wanted to see Willem in a video game and there i have it. :D

Ricey88 1 March, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   14

I’d be happy playing his game as long as there’s no “Shauuuuuuun!! Shauun ShauuuunnN! moments that drove me crazy. All that said Heavy Rain was a great game and i can see this game will also push the boundaries of the PS3.

October 2013 my life now is complete :) Heavy Rain was so memorable game i never forget. I only forget the ps4 arter playing Gow ascension demo, see the latest videos from last of us and this from Beyond :)

Bantamfowl 1 March, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   16

Great actor, great news. Can’t wait for this now.

Lyonjak 1 March, 2013 @ 7:21 pm   17

Hi Ross, really enjoyed alot of Heavy Rain so looking forward to Beyond. One problem for me though, so close to the potential release of the PS4 and this game won’t work with my nice new shiny console! Hope such a potentially great game doesn’t get lost in the next gen hype frenzy. Unless you are going to drop a cross gen release news item in the near future…

Chaosprower 1 March, 2013 @ 7:46 pm   18

So the game releases in October, and PS4 is releasing this “holiday season” (not sure if in Europe too though), and PS3 games are not compatible with the PS4…

Seriously, Beyond is one of my most anticipated games, but it looks like it’s going to get “lost” between the next-gen stuff.

My PS3 has YLOD’ed a few times already, so I’m not sure if I’ll have an available PS3 in October, but there’s no point in investing more money on PS3s when PS4 comes out a couple of months later and nothing from the PS3 is supposed to be compatible with it…

TINTINTB303 1 March, 2013 @ 7:51 pm   19

I cannot wait for this game!! :-D

Far to many great games coming out this year.

Beyond: Two Souls
The Last Of Us
God Of War

Those are just a few of the PS3 exclusives. I haven’t even touched on the superb multi platform releases aswell such as GTA5, Tomb Raider, Bioshock etc etc!!

My wallet hates Sony right now ;-)

Stonesthrow 1 March, 2013 @ 7:57 pm   20

@11 Still a work in progress afterall.. Personally I always liked the facial animations of Heavy rain over those of L.A. Noire. These guys are doing some revolutionary stuff in that area, just look at the PS4 demo Cage showed off!

playmartelli 1 March, 2013 @ 8:17 pm   21

Love Willem Dafoe. I cannot wait for this game now, it looks phenomenal.

BBear_27 1 March, 2013 @ 8:54 pm   22

The emotion captured on their faces is incredible, one of my most anticipated games :-)

swinster08 1 March, 2013 @ 9:14 pm   23

You gotta love PS3 exclusives, they always innovate and set the standards, being a Sony fan is an exciting thing indeed, you guys make the competition look bad. Please keep pushing those boundaries and showing the world how its done XD

sixxdogg68 2 March, 2013 @ 12:28 am   24

What a great insight!! Thanks.

residentSteve 2 March, 2013 @ 5:53 am   25

What an actor his best movie must be speed 2.

residentSteve 2 March, 2013 @ 3:53 pm   26

Only joking about speed 2.