Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:00pm

PlayStation Mobile spotlight: Switch Galaxy

Leadimage SG04

As with many games industry developers of a certain age I grew up with the classics: Atari 2600, Commodore 64 etc. with my very first gaming experience being on a Binatone with Pong.

One game that was always a favourite of mine was Dodge-em from the Atari 2600 which I would play for hours and hours. It was so frustrating at times, especially when it got quick, but that made me really want to beat it even more.

SG06SG01

Back in 2011 we’d just finished development of Bang Bang Racing and while thinking what we should do next, I thought about creating a 3D title that paid homage to Dodge-em. So we started work and soon came to the conclusion that it was going to take way too long and be too difficult to make it enjoyable in full 3D, so we simply just got rid of the turns and made it straight instead.

We ended up with Switch, a mobile game that has gone on to be downloaded 1.7m times so far, which was so awesome considering it was a very simple endless runner that took six weeks to make. Even though it was simple, people loved it and would always ask us for new features and improvements.

My career in the games industry started at Psygnosis/Sony working on those amazing first generation PlayStation games such as Wipeout, Destruction Derby, Colony Wars et al, so PlayStation is very dear to my heart. When we were offered the opportunity to create Switch Galaxy on PlayStation Mobile we jumped at the chance, as we’d always wanted to do more with the original game.

SG07SG02

We’d had so many ideas over the last year on what we could do so it was quite hard settling on the final feature list. We think we captured the essence of the original game – it’s really, really fast and when the game starts to speed up it seriously tests your reaction times, even mine… and I made the levels! Only at a true indie developer will you get the CEO making levels :)

The game is still quite simple but now with a lot more content. You need to get from one side of the galaxy to the other as you’ve been tasked by Dakur Technology to collect Tantallum and deliver it to their research base, which can only be collected at very high speed.

SG03

Along the way you’ll face enemy ships, barriers and broken lanes but you’ll have help with pick-ups and power-ups plus you’ll be able to spend the credits you collect to upgrade your ship. We also included the original survival mode as a bonus, where you have one life to travel as far as you can as your speed constantly increases.

We’re extremely proud of the game – it’s got such an intense feeling of speed that certainly puts your reactions to the test and, being one of only a handful of 3D games on PlayStation Mobile, really makes it stand out from the rest. You can see for yourself this afternoon – Switch Galaxy launches today, priced £1.99/€2.49.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

21 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Gary, please put pressure on Sony to make PS Mobile available in all European countries – they seems to have forgotten us. Thanks :)

crazytimmy223 6 March, 2013 @ 1:17 pm   2

this looks great and for £1.99 it looks like a steal. Although it does make me think of wipeout which is insane on the vita.

Rodia_73 6 March, 2013 @ 1:21 pm   3

Gonna get this for the Wipeout connection.

Also Ghosts’n Goblins!

Gloom12356776543 6 March, 2013 @ 1:25 pm   4

When will finally arrive the trophy support for mobile games ? :(

Avengerrr 6 March, 2013 @ 1:29 pm   5

The first word that came to mind when I saw this post and the PSM term: Stunning.

Well done. Great looking project, and a wonderful price.

StefNighthawk 6 March, 2013 @ 1:32 pm   6

If you can’t even release a roadmap the PSM service can go the way of the Comics Store for all I care.

cowbanana 6 March, 2013 @ 1:35 pm   7

More PSM for Lord Sony’s Elite Preferred White Knight Customers. Nothing for us filthy, unwanted peasants unworthy of the mud on Lord Sony’s boot.

SCEE might as well be renamed to SCEUK at this point.

PS. Where’s the YouTube app for my Vita… oh, another thing SCEE doesn’t even begin to care about.

aros2011 6 March, 2013 @ 1:36 pm   8

Excellent. I’ll pick this up after my next payday in a couple of weeks. Thanks for pricing it at a reasonable price. £2 is the Playstation Mobile sweet spot IMO.

josiahpsn 6 March, 2013 @ 1:40 pm   9

Looks great!

I remember a game called “Agony” on the commodore Amiga from Psygnosis, featuring a flying owl as the main protagonist in a side scrolling shooter, the visuals/sound & atmosphere were outstanding in its day, I wish something as unique and atmospheric was released on the PS3, but in the main such original and standout titles seem to be thin on the ground this gen, oh well.

Anyway, good work on this new game, and i wish you all the success with it.

cowbanana 6 March, 2013 @ 1:52 pm   10

Developers must experience abysmal sales on PSM. PSM is only available to a very narrow selection of people with the supported devices in only a few countries. Why not go iOS + Android instead? The service should have launched worldwide… you know like the competition does. But Sony is… Sony.

What is Sony’s plan for this? It looks like a plan with the same level of stellar brilliance as releasing the Vita without securing any system selling software. I’m not sure what Sony is doing these days, but they’re doing it wrong across the board.

grimbarian 6 March, 2013 @ 2:02 pm   11

Would quite like to partake in this – but Sony still haven’t got round to supporting the HTC One V as a device… “details to be announced” seems to be taking some considerable time.

Maybe you’d consider making this – or even the original “Switch” – compatible with Ouya instead?

P.S – The original Destruction Derby and Colony Wars were/are amazing games. Kudo’s

XnoobsquadX 6 March, 2013 @ 2:13 pm   12

7 months since psm released and still no information on the rollout in other countries thought i´d join in sharing my frustration about this. Not pleased at all.

“with my very first gaming experience being on a Binatone with Pong” SNAP! :D Me to ;)

MaxDiehard 6 March, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   14

This looks like an instant purchase for me. :)

@Gloom12356776543 Why is Trophy support so important? Why not enjoy the game? PS1 and PS2 never had them, it was all about the experience, completing a game 100% and then starting again, not collecting icons that have no proper worth.

@cowbanana PSM is ‘made’ for Android. Vita got PSM implemented way after it was created.

Chaosprower 6 March, 2013 @ 3:18 pm   15

It was announced on August 2012 that PSM would be available for ASUS’ line of Android tablets. Any development on that?

AtomicomUK 6 March, 2013 @ 6:15 pm   16

Hello there

Thanks for all your great comments, I’ll try and go through the ones I can answer and even the ones I can’t :p

BeanDK
We’re trying to but believe me they do see the comments but I have no idea if or when it will come to other EU territories :(

Crazytimmy233
Thank you that’s a really great compliment – we kept the price low because we felt that some of the games on PSM where a bit of a rip off for the content they had so wanted to make sure we offered real value for money.

Avengerr
Thank you again it’s great to hear that, when working on a game for so long you get lost in what you’re making so to hear people making great comments is such a boost.

Josiahpsn
I loved Agony! remember it well and shadow of the beast they were all stunning games – to tell you the truth we approached sony a long time ago wanting to remake some of the old psygnosis games but couldn’t get anywhere. We did a concept pitch for Walker a few years ago too but in the end it didn’t get signed.

AtomicomUK 6 March, 2013 @ 6:16 pm   17

Cowbanana
I know what you mean it’s even hard to get PSM on a sony device, our sony tablet didn’t even come with PSM installed on it which is not great. Our game is exclusive on PSM for a couple of months and then of course we will be releasing it cross platform.

Grimbarian
Yeah we are looking at other platforms so don’t worry if you can’t get PSM you will be able to get the game on another platform in a couple of months. check out http://www.switchgalaxy.com and register on our email list at http://www.atomicom.co.uk and we’ll keep you up to date.

Carl-G
Those where the days huh :)

MaxDiehard
Thanks Max we appreciate that and hope you like the game.

grimbarian 6 March, 2013 @ 10:35 pm   18

Thanks very much for taking the time to respond AtomicomUK.

It’s when developers listen to their customers (fans) and take the time to respond to their queries that I feel much more inclined to purchase their products…

…and this does look a really nice game.

AtomicomUK 6 March, 2013 @ 11:08 pm   19

Thanks Grimbarian

We’re very proud of the game especially compared to the other PSM content, we do think it’s great value for money and looking forward to seeing what you guys think of it.

Gary

skatepunk36 7 March, 2013 @ 1:07 pm   20

i hope PSM finally supports more mobiles, doesn’t work on my LG also it has android 4.x

AtomicomUK 7 March, 2013 @ 1:20 pm   21

Well maybe you can help us test the android version later on :)