Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 10:01am

The Weekend Playlist, 9th March 2013

The Weekend Playlist

Sorry folks, I know we’ve been a bit slack getting the Weekend Playlist out over the last couple of weeks. Anyway, we’re back on track today!

This week’s guest contributor is friend-of-the-Blog Scott Hyman from Creat Studios, who released top-notch puzzler Germinator on PS Vita this week. And standing in for the absent Jawad is Chris Brown – SCEE product manager on forthcoming PS Vita beast battler Soul Sacrifice, and a man who seriously knows his video games.

Please enjoy and, as ever, share your own recommendations in the comments below!

20952SP03_sm

Fred Dutton, SCEE Blog Manager

What was the last video game you played?
I’ve been bludgeoning my way through God of War: Ascension this week, and thoroughly enjoying it. See y’all online next week? And I’ve got a copy of Crysis 3 lined up for the weekend. Anyone played it? How does it stand up?

What was the last movie or TV show you watched?
I made a start on series four of Justified, which, I’ll be honest, hasn’t grabbed me yet. I’ve also found myself rubbernecking Bitchin’ Kitchen on Food Network. It’s quite possibly the worst cooking show of all time, but it’s inexplicably hypnotic…

What was the best book or article you read this week?
A gut-wrenching piece on old age in The New Statesman by hugely talented games writer Simon Parkin (of Eurogamer, Edge and The Guardian fame). It’s not about gaming, but it’s the best bit of writing I read this week.

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Like Rats – the latest collection of glorious melancholy from arch-sadsack Mark Kozelek. Check out the awesome Bruno Mars cover!

metal-gear-rising-revengeance

Chris Brown, SCEE Product Manager

What was the last video game you played?
I finally got round to checking out the amazing and totally mesmerising Metal Gear Rising, and I wasn’t disappointed. Ni No Kuni sapped most of my game time over the last few weeks so MGR was put on hold for a bit. I’ve also been playing a lot of Soul Sacrifice and Street Fighter X Tekken on my way into work each morning this week.

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
Movie: Skyfall on Blu-ray. Best Bond movie yet (puts on flame-retardant helmet). TV: The Following. I love that, regardless of how high-profile an actor may be in this show, they could be killed at any time. Lots of twists and turns so far.

What was the best book or article you read this week?
It would have to be Kotaku’s article on “God of War: Ascension Vs. The Playstation 4″. Interesting opinions :)

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Nothing in particular this weekend – but I’m sure some Stanton Warriors or Krafty Kuts will make an appearance at some point though.

mass effect 3

Chris Howe, PS Store and Plus Content Manager

What was the last video game you played?
Mass Effect 3 of course, seeing as it came out on PS Plus this week! I’m on about my fourth play through it but it never gets old!

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
No time at all for TV this week but hoping for a relaxing weekend with plenty of good films and sport on TV :)

What was the best book or article you read this week?
I read another excellent review of the new Tomb Raider this morning which has left me even more excited about my favourite franchise of all time, I can’t wait to play it!

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
A bit of The Killers for the early part of the weekend, then who knows what the rest of the weekend will bring!

LEGO Batman 2

Scott Hyman, Vice President of Development, Creat Studios

What was the last video game you played?
I’ve been playing a lot of Lego Batman 2 with my six-year-old son. He’s obsessed. We’re both looking forward to Lego Marvel later this year. I’m also playing a new mobile game called Letter Rush that’s very addictive.

What was the last movie or TV show you watched?
Other than lots of Boston Bruins hockey? I just watched Part 2 of the animated adaptation of Frank Miller’s The Dark Night Returns. Nothing will match the graphic novel, but it’s very well done.

What was the best book or article you read this week?
I just finished a dystopian political novel called When She Woke by Hillary Jordan. And I’ve been reading a lot about 3D printers, which feels like reading about the internet in 1993.

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
My son will insist on listening to the Clone Wars soundtrack in the car, so I won’t be able to avoid that. Otherwise, it will be a lot of ’80s hair bands like Def Leppard and Guns N Roses. It’s the musical equivalent of comfort food for old guys like me.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first
taurus82 9 March, 2013 @ 10:16 am   1

Playing: Star Wars tables on Zen Pinball 2.
Watching: Smallville (just started season 6).
Listening: Shuffle play on my Xperia Ray, and Distant System (ambient artist).
Miscellaneous: Improved both DualShock 3 and internet signal, by removing the cleat (black cylindrically thing) on charger cable.

Nightmare966 9 March, 2013 @ 10:31 am   2

Glad to see the section’s back! :D

Playing:

Lots of games in the past 2 weeks. First and foremost, Metal Gear Rising. One of the best action, hack n’ slash games out there. And with a story that makes actual sense for once! :P Other than that, God of War III in advance for Ascension, as well as Batman: Arkham Asylum (which I highly recommend). Also, thanks to Plus I’ve been able to re-take my progress on DOA5 :D

Watching: Yesterday they aired on TV “The Hangover”. Even though I catched it at 3/4 of the movie, it’s pretty clear it’s one great comedy. I guess I’ll take a Blu-ray home soon… :P

Book/Article: On this one, it’s got to be Vandal’s (spanish online magazine) review on God of War: Ascension. Has to be one of the very, very best reviews (9 pages!) I’ve ever read out there for a game.

Soundtrack: “Time to leave them all BEEEEHIIIIIIIIIIIND!” Lots of Metal Gear Rising. Seriously, Jamie Christopherson has done an excellent job on the Vocal Tracks. Other than that, a bit of God of War Trilogy because, you know, Tyler Bates has also done an excellent job on Ascension :D

(BTW Fred, not fair, you’ll be able to destroy us online thanks to early access! :P)

@ Fred Dutton
Thanks for the free 90 day PS:Plus you guys on the Blog gave me over Xmas(i just saw the message last week as i was looking on the PS4 forums) :D So i have been(trying) to play everything :D that is free off PS:Plus so not had time for TV/Books(what are they?):D /Music/Sleeping/Eating etc etc :D
The PlayStation Brand is BRILLIANT as always ;)

Catkiller1 9 March, 2013 @ 11:04 am   4

What was the last video game you played?
I’m between a few titles at the moment. Jurassic Park, Angry Birds Trilogy & Strong Bad’s Cool Game For Attractive People. Jurassic Park was much better than the reviews would have you believe, Angry Birds is Angry Birds ;) & SBCGFAP is a little funny. I’ve started to work my through the huge backlog of digital titles and i’ve owned Jurassic Park & SBCGFAP for a few years.

What was the last movie or TV show you watched?
Last TV show was Utopia that I had recorded on my SKY+ box. Strange show but I like quirky things like that! Last movie was Vanishing Point. A simple Road movie with car chases that dates back to 1971. I like the scenery and artistry to it.

What was the best book or article you read this week?
The article I read was the rumoured Illusion collection to be released soon on PSN, that includes the old SEGA titles of Mickey Mouse and the Castle, World & Land of Illusion & judging by the ratings I would say this would ring true! :)

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac & Midnight Oil.

Fred Dutton 10 March, 2013 @ 7:32 pm

Hope that Mickey rumour is true!

Another Mac-head? Can’t beat a bit of Secondhand News…

TheLegendOfMart 9 March, 2013 @ 11:17 am   5

Game
I recently just finished metal gear rising and I really enjoyed it for what it was, I also just finished my final 30odd hour play through of Mass Effect 3 with all the DLC, I think the Mass Effect trilogy is one of games most defining moments for me personally and probably of this generation of consoles.

This weekend I shall be mostly playing Tomb Raider.

TV
One word, Spartacus….

dark_angel69 9 March, 2013 @ 11:59 am   6

I’m surprised none of yas have started Tomb Raider yet. Such an amazing game and Lara is looking hot ;)

What was the last video game you played?
Tomb Raider. Love this game, amazing story and some fine tits and ass to stare at all day. lol. Haven’t tried online yet tho. Would start Dead or Alive 5 but need to play one game at a time.

What was the last movie or TV show you watched?
Game of Thrones Season two on blu ray. :D Getting myself ready for season three. Best show ever!

What was the best book or article you read this week?
Didn’t do any reading this week. Was all games

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Nothing probably. Most likely all gaming

Fred Dutton 10 March, 2013 @ 7:33 pm

Tomb Raider is on my list. Crysis 3 first, then that. Or maybe BioShock Infinite. Akk, too many games…

Well my vita has been put to good use this week and I have been playing 3 games on that, need for speed most wanted, lbp that I bought in the sale and also reality fighters also bought in the sale.must say that after the rant I had a few weeks back I have had nothing but fun from my vita :)

I just got into 30 rock and have watched 5 series of it in the last week and a half on Netflix and one of the episodes inspired me to watch Harry and the Hendersons which I watched last night along with doc Hollywood.

Last thing I read was the story in the paper about the guy who got wasted on drink and frayed his friends hamster??????? How can anyone get that drunk and not realise there doing that, shocking.

Soundtrack is of monsters and men :- my head is an animal fantastic album.

Hexahedronaut 9 March, 2013 @ 12:48 pm   8

Last game played?
Jak and Daxter HD collection, I remember being eleven when I first played the first game…. I’m now
23 and oh boy does it feel nostalgic and they still play great!.

Last TV show?
Fabulous baker baker brothers episode 3 on 4oD an top gear special part 1/2 on bbc Iplayer. Top gear IMO hasn’t been as funny as it used to be but the current special they’re doing is brilliantly funny.

Last article?
the simcity disaster watch over on kotaku…Always online DRM has never and will never work or benefit the paying customer plus it just makes more pirates oh the irony.

What tunes?
If I’m totally honest…. Ellie Gauldings new album…. *Sigh* It’s really good.

Recommendation?

Easy! TOMB RAIDER it’s the perfect mix between far cry 3 and uncharted, stunning visuals, Lara voice acter nailed it! And just pure fun, but I will say where drake is mr iron man who doesn’t really ever get hurt.. Lara seems to be more erm squishy and gets hurt to the point wher I feel sorry for her.

L_Alive_7 9 March, 2013 @ 1:53 pm   9

Chris/Fred I need help I`m a PS plus member and recently Mass effect 3 became free.I downloaded it but it is showing up as a 1 hour trial can you please help.

Fred Dutton 10 March, 2013 @ 7:35 pm

I’ll get Jawad in here to advise first thing on Monday morning. Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Lunastra78 9 March, 2013 @ 2:00 pm   10

Playing: Finally made a big dent on my backlog, finishing Walking Dead, Asura’s Wrath and Binary Domain over the course of the last week and a half!

Currently playing Shadows of the Damned, which has been amazing so far, I hope that game gets a sequel! Also F.E.A.R. 3 in co-op with a friend, very average game but everything is fun in co-op! :)

Watching: Watched the Dredd movie. Better than expected actually, although I would have liked to see more of the gadgets from the comic, like the lie-detector and the riot foam.

Reading: Still reading Lyonesse. Being over 1000 pages, this is gonna take a while! Great book though, Jack Vance is master of fantasy/sci-fi.

Listening: I’m currently re-listening my entire mp3 collection of 50000 songs to see i I should add more songs to my favorites list. Haven’t gotten very far yet, still on letter A and currently listening through Add N to (X).

Fred Dutton 10 March, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

Dredd was fun! In an early ’90s sub-Paul Verhoeven direct-to-video kind of way. Did you see The Raid? Same movie, only better!

Nightmare966 9 March, 2013 @ 3:00 pm   11

@L_Alive_7: Let the hour expire and enter again. Should boot up normal ;)

monoliet 9 March, 2013 @ 3:12 pm   12

Playing: ni no kuni – ragnorak odysee = 2 top games
soon i hope to also buy terraria + soul sacrefice
+Great desire to buy ps4 around Sept-Oct with reasonable price € 449.99
games ps4 = diablo 3 + 1 other game

Watching: noting

Reading : game news

Listening: music radio on work place

rest no time = too busy with the apartment that I’m going to buy, so I will buy fewer games in the beginning as they are too expensive (price quality become even more important to me)

reason i have mony asite to buy ps4 (al games digital on psn = i can wait until low budget on psn , but in real stores games disappear after a time on psn not).

TINTINTB303 9 March, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   13

What was the last video game you played?
The new Tomb Raider and loving every minute of it!!
Highly recommended :-D

What was the last movie/TV show you watched?
Been catching up on The Following. If I was Kevin Bacon I just wouldn’t trust anyone and move to a desert island. Problem solved, although he would have to make some form of coconut booze ;-)

What was the best book or article you read this week?
An article (for the life of me I cannot remember which site it was on) about how all these “Pre-order bonuses” and pre-orders in general are doing serious damage to the videogame market!!

What tunes are soundtracking your weekend?
Stumbled across Technikal’s new album that he is kindly giving away for free via soundcloud as a mix. (You can still buy individual tracks via all your usual music download sites ;-))
An absolutely cracking new sound, really pushing the hard dance scene in new and innovative ways!!

Fred Dutton 10 March, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

Raced through the first few episodes of The Following this week. Possibly the most ludicrous concept of all time, but lots of fun to be had. Fingers crossed that the psycho nanny gets killed off soon…

Stonesthrow 9 March, 2013 @ 4:31 pm   14

I’ve been playing Skyrim since the DLC arrived and after a quick playthrough of Rising, didn’t even install it yet and the game kept me busy for hours. And Battlefield 3 for most of this week. Little bit of Hitman collection in between. Just waiting it out for God of war, and managed to hold off on some titles like Dead space 3 and Tomb raider to wait for pricecut.

Been doing a lot of watching lately : Big bang theory for series. Movies : Avatar, Cloud Atlas (weird to say the least), Frankenweenie, Ted, Scarface, The Hobbit (didn’t realise it would be this good, could have never held off as long if I knew..), Wreck it Ralph and Zero dark thirty, which was kind of boring imo.

Music. The usual Hip hop, Jazz and Reggae. Rediscovered the great work of Weldon Irvine. Desmond Dekker and Capleton for reggae.

Read a little article on THQ closing down. How it started doing less licensed games and bringing out more of their own titles, having a lot of confidence in games like Homefront (which was supposed to be a COD killer) but not managing to stay above water.

Stonesthrow 9 March, 2013 @ 4:37 pm   15

Oh and started rewatching the old Bond movies too :p

steven_dutch 9 March, 2013 @ 5:49 pm   16

Playing: Been playing Might & Magic Heroes VI on PC.
Watching: The Walking Dead. Loved the last episode.
Reading: Been reading a lot about EA’s SimCity’s launch fiasco and DRM policies.
Listening:New David Bowie (The Next Day) got released today. Looking forward listening to this album.

Project2insanity 9 March, 2013 @ 9:59 pm   17

Last video game; PS3- Playstation All Stars Battle Royale, after getting platinum on the Vita version, I decided it’s time for Big Daddy to be played on Vita’s big daddy. An immense game.
Vita- Uncharted:Golden Abyss, I haven’t been hooked on this one. Passed the halfway point and the comedy’s really picked up. Still a strong title.

Last movie/TV show; Ted, it hit quite a few funny bones for me. “Now if there’s one thing you can be sure of, it’s that nothing is more powerful than a young boy’s wish. Except an Apache helicopter.”

Best book or article; I read a Chinese takeaway menu…

Soundtracking; Crash Love by AFI. A standout track easily being End Transmission. The band always staying fresh. Other than that, Discovery on the original Metal Gear Solid soundtrack. Very haunting.

tiago-kun 10 March, 2013 @ 12:05 am   18

Yay, it’s back :)

Well, I’ve been playing Persona 4 Golden. Fantastic Stuff. I never finished Persona 4 as I didn’t buy it when it came out and I only borrowed it for a couple days, so I’m almost back at where I left off so many years ago.

I watched Argo last night and it’s an awesome movie. Really great.

I finished Storm of Swords and jumped immediately to A Feast For Crows.

Not listening to anything in particular… Well it’s raining, so the sound of the rain and it’s always so soothing.

theJJ88 10 March, 2013 @ 8:53 am   19

Playing: DoA5! I’m terrible at fighting games these days, but that doesn’t stop me playing them. (before I became father I had time to practice, but not anymore :) )
Watching: Skip Beat. Since I started using Crunchyroll I have been watching anime with my wife.
Reading: Finally finished Awakened Mage! :D
Listening: Children’s songs mostly lol. Haven’t got time to listen my own music since my child learned how to use cd-player.

cthulhu85 10 March, 2013 @ 11:13 am   20

Playing: This week I’ve played through Tomb Raider and completed the collectibles (have a couple of challenges left). And I also started God of War: Ascension and have come to those f****** trials. I’m not even certain if I’m good enough to complete it.

dogwalker4000 10 March, 2013 @ 3:19 pm   21

Been playing a lot of Skyrim (even though I haven’t got the DLC yet). Just doing a load of side quests that never got done before, the characters are pretty boring to be honest but there’s something about the vastness of the world that keeps me coming back.

Watched Shaun of the Dead for the umpteenth time. The fence hopping bit gets me everytime.

Just been reading all types of articles on the interweb, mainly gaming and film related but nothing of too much worth to mention.

As usual with the music I let the missus have control, I have command of the television after all.

cthulhu85 10 March, 2013 @ 7:41 pm   22

Yeah, they were damn hard… However when I sat down with it today (around an hour or two ago) I got it on the third attempt… Though yesterday when I was trying I think I tried for an hour maybe… worst part is that you have to do that one thing before the trials start every time you die :D I thought I’d go insane before I managed to complete that. :D

MaxDiehard 10 March, 2013 @ 7:57 pm   23

Been playing a lot of Mass Effect 3 thanks to PS+ this month.

Currently watching Season one of Person of Interest for the first time. On episode 15 now since stating yesterday.

Last article or thing I read worth noting was this blog post right here.

And as for music it has to be the amazing soundtracks for the entire Assassin’s Creed series.

Jawad Ashraf 11 March, 2013 @ 10:14 am   24

*ahem*

Nothing but Metal Gear Rising for me. S-ranked Revengeance mode with No Damage runs on the bosses. A great deal of cursing took place. Cursing is bad, people! Moving on to redoing/finishing the VR missions.

Such a Solid game… So good! Love it to bits! Easily one of my favourite games of recent months – Lightning bolt action with a nice amount of goofiness. Let’s not forget the great soundtrack with those dynamic boss themes that only psych the player up further.

Nightmare966 11 March, 2013 @ 10:51 am   25

@Jawad: I can’t believe you forgot the most important part of the game… The NANOMACHINES, SON! The Nanomachines…! :P