Posted 5:00pm

Acclaimed indie horror Lone Survivor coming soon to PS3 and PS Vita

screenshotE

It’s with great pleasure that I can finally reveal the details of the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita versions of our horror game Lone Survivor!

To my amazement, Lone Survivor has turned into something of a phenomenon over the last year. Since its release in March 2012, it’s been nominated for a Golden Joystick, picked by many blogs and magazines as Horror Game Of The Year, and has received consistently glowing reviews (currently 81% on Metacritic).

screenshotBscreenshotG

Lone Survivor’s rich story continues to provoke heated debate amongst fans and critics alike. The soundtrack has also been consistently praised. I really could never have expected or hoped for such success, from what is a very personal game to me.

But what is Lone Survivor? For those who missed it the first time round, this is a psychological-survival-adventure, where the choice of how to survive is up to you. It’s the last record of our nameless, masked protagonist, holed-up in a city full of diseased monsters, starving and exhausted.

When we join him on his quest, he has already begun to question whether what he sees is even real. You can choose to sneak through the game without firing a single shot, or to kill everything in your path. You can eat and sleep well, or resort to drugs to keep going. You can search for survivors, or try to escape the city alone. You can look after your mental health, or descend into madness…

Lead image screenshotCscreenshotPS3

More than anything, I wanted Lone Survivor to be a game that approaches issues rarely touched on in games – from the shattering effects of grief, through mental health issues, to the examination of drug use and abuse. It’s one of the reasons the game took more than four years to create.

Critics cite the combination of meaningful choices presented to the player (this is a game in which you can genuinely role-play), the ‘virtual pet’ survival mechanics, the ‘invisible psychologist’, and the use of dream-logic as a combination that’s genuinely bold and new.

It’s been a lifelong dream of mine to release one of my games on a console, especially of the Sony variety (as the PlayStation family is still my favourite!) and I have the utmost confidence in Curve, who are handling the conversion, to produce the ultimate version of the game. Their excellent track record speaks for itself!

To top it off, I’ve secretly been devoting a lot time and resources into adding additional content into the game, initially exclusive to the PlayStation 3 and PS Vita. As well as Trophies, Cross-Buy and Cross-Play support, the PS version will feature (amongst other things) 19 new items, new dialogue with all NPCs, two extensive new side quests and a brand new ‘Yellow’ ending, featuring an exclusive piece of music. We are also investigating touch control for movement and inventory use. This version really will be enhanced in every way!

I hope you enjoy the game. And for those who’ve already supported it, thank you so much. I can’t wait to share the new content with all of you in July!

screenshotD

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

37 Comments 11 Author replies
Show oldest first

SuperJag86 13 March, 2013 @ 5:04 pm   1

Brilliant! Thank you Jasper and Curve, the more Vita love the better!
Day 1 for me!

Witcher70 13 March, 2013 @ 5:04 pm   2

Will definitely pick this up. Looks very interesting and I like the old school graphics very much. Roll on July :)

Awesome! Are the French and German translation still planned?
Can’t wait to play this game on my Vita with headphones! :D

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

Hi Shinrow,

Absolutely! Curve will be using their usual team who’ve done a great job in the past.

Cheers,

Jasper

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 11:26 pm

Oh and coffee… Coffee is important to me, too.

Splutterbug 13 March, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   4

Looks great!, I think I’m going to have to go on an indie frenzy soon, so many great games coming out.

So many awesome indie titles coming to PS3 and PSV.. This is amazing. Keep it up! So looking forward to playing this again!

Silent_Gig 13 March, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   6

Played a little bit of the demo on PC and i have to say this felt more survival horror then most of the big budget games touting that title in recent days. SO GLAD its coming to PS3/PSV – thank you so much for doing this!

Oh the game is so far away :(

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 5:35 pm

Hi kiv95

The game’s quite a way into production now, but it is a large game, so porting is going to take a while, even though it is written in a way that’s fairly easy to port! But hopefully the new content will be worth the wait, anyway! :)

- Jasper

This looks really cool, not seen it before and I’ll be picking it up for my Vita as soon as you can get it out!
Great to see these indie games making it onto Sony consoles!

Audioboxer 13 March, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   9

Can’t wait Jasper, best of luck with the release!

Paul_Morningstar 13 March, 2013 @ 5:56 pm   10

Hello.

Any idea on the pricing of the game?
And please keep in mind the PS+ users.
I bought at launch all the Vita games that had a special PS+ price.

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

Hi Paul_Morningstar

The exact launch date is still TBA, as is the pricing (but it’ll be reasonably priced!)

Cheers,

Jasper

KRadiation 13 March, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   11

I saw this on eurogamer a while ago and thought it looked great. Really glad to see it coming to ps3/vita. July seems so far away :(

Shin-Ra 13 March, 2013 @ 6:00 pm   12

I played the demo on Mac last year and loved pretty much everything but the keyboard controls. I even tweeted @yosp to have a look at the game, hoping it’d end up on PS Vita. Now I know about @nsuttner and a few others, but they were probably already looking at the game!

Very happy it’s coming now.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 13 March, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   13

Woah! This looks really good and I love the Silent Hill 1 vibe this game appear to have! I have some questions an would be extremely grateful if you’d answer them for me please.
They are a follows:
• Any rough launch period?
• What is the price expected to be?
• Were you inspire by classic horror titles when making this?

Thanks, I can’t wait and hope there is a Blog post regarding this game when it launches as I promise I’ll buy it! Horror games are few and far between nowadays, this looks like a breath of fresh air with the classic aesthetics this game has.

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 6:25 pm

Hi XzSILENTSNIPERzX,

I was heavily inspired by Silent Hill, especially 2, I’m a huge fan of Deadly Premonition, and also the Fatal Frame and Siren games, as well as, strangely enough, Demon’s Souls, which did also inspire me while making it.

ninenullseven 13 March, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   14

won’t buy for the second time anyway.
technically PC release was utter crap. The best thing was that it actually allowed to play the game. And the game was awesome.
I just hope Jasper will update PC version after PS3/Vita release, because it’s not polite to treat people who made the port possible worse than other guys)))

And for people who don’t want to wait for July – http://www.lonesurvivor.co.uk/buy.html
It is 10 bucks, any PC can run it, go buy it and be scared sh**less.

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 6:28 pm

Hi there ninenullseven,

Sorry you had some technical issues with the PC release. If there’s anything you feel needs to be fixed, please send an email over to support [at] lonesurvivor.co.uk and I’ll do my best to look into it!

Glad you enjoyed the game all the same,

Thanks for playing,

Jasper

xDRAKEx777 13 March, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   15

very excited! One of my favorite games. I’m so happy I’m going to be able to take this on the go! yay!

pinkplaybunny 13 March, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   16

This looks cool.

Looks great, cant wait to play it on my Vita. The music in the trailer is a bit special.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 13 March, 2013 @ 6:34 pm   18

Thanks, I’ve just realised the amount of spelling mistakes in what I wrote. Blame my IPod. Anyway, I can’t wait! It’s good to hear that iconic games influenced the creation of this game; even Demon’s Souls – I love that game!

laus_hel 13 March, 2013 @ 6:36 pm   19

Looking forward to this.

ChazzH69 13 March, 2013 @ 6:55 pm   20

Cannot wait to play this, day one for me!

Shinrow 13 March, 2013 @ 7:19 pm   21

Thanks for your answer, Jasper :)

GothPunk 13 March, 2013 @ 7:34 pm   22

What a nicely written blog post. You’ve convinced me to keep my eye out for this! I bet it’ll look great on the Vita’s screen. Pixel-art really ‘pops’ on that OLED. :P

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 8:33 pm

I can’t wait to see it on the gorgeous screen myself! I have a white Vita on order and coming in the post soon!

Aces73High 13 March, 2013 @ 7:38 pm   23

Great to hear from you Jasper! I’ve been really (really, really) looking forward to playing Lone Survivor on my Vita. I’m definitely all about the indies, and I wish you continued success on Playstation buddy!

Chocobo115 13 March, 2013 @ 7:57 pm   24

a 2D psychological survival horror game (like a 2D Silent Hill)?
Consider it bought already (as long it’s reasonable priced ofc)
Roughly how long is the game? Several endings like the Silent Hill games?
If possible (and reasonable) make a full trophy list (Platinum with 30-50 trophies).

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 8:30 pm

Hi there Chocobo115,

The game is a big like an iceberg – it’s quite short if you want to just run through it, but there’s a lot of hidden stuff to explore and things to do on repeat playthroughs. So it can take anywhere between 3 and 7 hours to complete, with two very different journeys through the game possible.

It has four endings, codenamed Green, Blue, Red and Yellow. One of which is the new secret ending, exclusive to the PS3 / Vita initially.

As the game is shorter than a full disc release, I’m not sure whether I’ll have a Platinum Trophy yet (but it’s something I’m going to have a good think about!)

Hope you enjoy the game,

Cheers,

Jasper

tiago-kun 13 March, 2013 @ 8:02 pm   25

I actually have this on Steam, and for what my word is worth, this is an excellent survival horror type of game.

I’ll probably pick up this for the vita too.

theJJ88 13 March, 2013 @ 8:27 pm   26

It seems like I have to buy this game.

Great news! I already have it for PC but Im buying again, the cross-buy is a bliss. Can we expect a Spanish translation?

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 11:11 pm

Hi Lacri. Unfortunately there are no current plans, but it’s something I’d like to do personally. I used to speak a tiny bit of Spanish (pero ahora no puedo!)

Anyway, I’ll see what I can find out about the possibility of other languages, and announce it as soon as I have any new info!

Thanks for buying on PC :)

GradonPrower 13 March, 2013 @ 8:40 pm   28

This game is amazing, I implore everyone interested buy it the day it’s out, I’m thinking of rebuying it just to have it on my Vita for when I’m out!

Jasper, You have all of the same influences I have! Have had this on my Steam since release and you are an inspiration to me with your game design and the game! Happy to hear about the new ending. :)

So excited for this. Probably my favourite indie game ever.

Kathyff 13 March, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   29

Can’t wait till july :D

left4bread3 13 March, 2013 @ 9:00 pm   30

I love how you said in a previous comment that you were inspired by deadly premonition, silent hill and fatal frame/project zero, all my favorite games specially the fatal frame/project zero series, even played the 4th one in Japanese… I will defiantly be buying this as I was interested in it when I saw the PC version mentioned on the Internet a while back.

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 11:17 pm

Deadly Premonition came out midway through making it and I hadn’t heard of its development. It’s turned into one of my favourite modern games, and it’s strange how much of what I was already going for is done so well in Swery-sama’s game! A big focus on strange and comic side quests, looking after the main character physically, stream of consciousness dialogue from the main character etc… I guess it made me realise I was going in the right direction, and maybe even that I could push that side of it a bit further? So it definitely influenced its development!

Anyway, yeah, I love Swery65! :) I hope he makes many more games on the PlayStation!

Unicronic 13 March, 2013 @ 9:14 pm   31

I played this on PC and it was awesome, looking forward to completing it on the Vita. Thanks for the hardwork Jasper and Superflat Games!

hayzink 13 March, 2013 @ 9:37 pm   32

Totally getting this never heard of it before this blog post but the post itself along with the trailer has me sold:)

Can’t help feeling it will look better on the vitas smaller screen so that may be me weapon of choice for playing it.

In response to the should it have a platinum trophy or not I’d say put one in as you will get a bump in sales from trophy hunters alone ;)
I’ll be getting it platinum or not.

X_Blood_Curse_X 13 March, 2013 @ 9:51 pm   33

Nice to hear about the cross-buy and new features, definitely seems like something I’d like to play on the Vita.

Any news about pricing? :)

Jasper Byrne 13 March, 2013 @ 11:29 pm

Pricing is still being discussed at the moment. I’m really excited about the Cross-Play feature to be able to switch between consoles. Technology, eh?

aimeraya 14 March, 2013 @ 4:45 pm   34

Hello, Jasper Byrne

Can’t wait to play this game.

One question: to 100% this game we need how much time, i’m curious about the amount of the content.

aimeraya 14 March, 2013 @ 4:48 pm   35

Sorry i didn’t read the replies above, a little short game but still worthy!

Great!!!! Any chance of Super Meat Boy ending up on the Vita or is it totally XBLA exclusive?

Joooooink 18 March, 2013 @ 8:25 am   37

Shut up and take my money!