Posted 15 March

The Pinball Arcade: Star Trek tables incoming, PS4 development underway

8558658264_57f10eb6fa_o

Howdy y’all… Bobby King of the Pinball Arcade here to give all the pinball fans out there the heads up on everything we have going on in March and make an awesome announcement!

This week at FarSight Studios, we’ve been packin’ up our new expo display and gettin’ ready to head to the Texas Pinball Festival to show off our latest tables and features! We’ll be showing off the stereoscopic 3D support on PS3 that we just implemented. It looks amazing and really adds to the gameplay experience.

8558658248_7c23ca8eb3_o8558658256_6c1aab7731_o

We will also be running contests each day to win a Cactus Canyon T-shirt, so if you’re in the area and like pinball – you should definitely stop by. You can check out our game and play unlimited real pinball for the price of admission – it’s a ton of fun!

Later this month, we’ll be releasing Star Trek: The Next Generation for PS3 and PS Vita on the 20th March and Table Pack 10 on 27th March which includes Gottlieb’s great widebody classic Genie and another one of our all-time favourite tables, Bally’s Attack from Mars.

8557549053_309e00ef5f_o8557549015_aaed8c79be_o

Unfortunately, we can’t bring everyone to Texas – some guys have to stay back and work on the PS4 engine. Oh yeah, I forgot mention…

THE PINBALL ARCADE IS COMING TO PS4!!!

We are super excited about this. Pinball Arcade looks really nice on PS3, but just wait until you see it on PS4! We’ll be adding rendering tech for per pixel ray casting, area lights/shadows, point lights and screen space ambient occlusion (which is a fancy way to say even more shadows). We’re very confident that we can add all of these features on the PS4 and maintain the smooth 60 fps that you need in a pinball game.

We’ll also be updating the physics and gameplay on all of the DLC tables we release. The Pinball Arcade on PS4 will be amazing!

Stay tuned next week for details on our release of the Star Trek: TNG table.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

planeet32 15 March, 2013 @ 2:31 pm   1

Great that new tables are comming, but before opening up to new grounds (like PS4), wouldn’t it be wise to update the current dlc tables for lets say PS VITA with better graphics and bug fixes? There are a lot of issues with the PS Vita dlc tables!

Just have a look here: http://pinballarcadefans.com/showthread.php/1034-Bugs-Glitches-and-General-Issues-PS-VITA

and here:

I enjoy your game, but stopped buying the DLC due to this. Please look into this as I am a devoted pinball fan!

andrewsqual 15 March, 2013 @ 2:38 pm   2

Exciting stuff fellas. Its great to see a developer actually talking about the PS4. I can’t wait to see how amazing you guys can make it look on that BEAST.

Jucksalbe 15 March, 2013 @ 2:39 pm   3

What are the chances we will be able to use the DLC we already bought for the PS3/Vita version for the PS4 version, too?

COOL:P + I can’t wait to see what the PS4 Pinball will be like:P

Great. Keep those new tables coming!

steven_dutch 15 March, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   6

Thanks for the update Bobby.

Big fan of the Pinball Arcade. And I’m glad it’s coming to PS4.
Looking forward to the ST:TNG table as I played it loads in real life.
Also looking forward to Attack from Mars. Love the Brian Eddy designed tables.
Would love to see Black Rose as well on TPA :)
Have fun at the Texas Pinball Festival.

monoliet 15 March, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   7

hi Bobby King

i love zen pinbal 2 , but on ps4 u give free update to play tabels u alrady buy on ps3/vita ?

tank u to u answord + continu to make nice tabels .

Who owns the rights to the classic Adams family table? Any chance of that ever coming out as dlc?

planeet32 15 March, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   9

I agree, the Adams family would be awesome! Maybe a kickstarter?

JudmentShadow 15 March, 2013 @ 5:29 pm   10

@planeet32,

yes Im also hoping they will address the PS Vita graphical distress , this is no longer the realm of opinion about it’s quality Mr. King. We took a series of polls here

and the overwhelming majority voted the last 5 DLCs on Vita as worse of any tables . I’d venture to say the PS Vita versions are your poorest looking visually of every format .

We have faith you are busy addressing this , but would like some acknowledgement ?

zxRATTLExz 15 March, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   11

Great news, only yesterday i was asking on the facebook page when we were due some new tables. Will buy without a second thought. Now please get in touch with the relevant people to bring the Tommy Pinball Wizard table to pinball arcade :D

euphoricape 15 March, 2013 @ 6:39 pm   12

Would love to see the ‘Hook’ table come to pinball arcade.

Bangarang!

AeonsDead 15 March, 2013 @ 8:03 pm   13

I’m looking forward to when you guys bundle the tables together, will def. pick them up then.

rick_dangerous3 15 March, 2013 @ 8:24 pm   14

At last ! Attack from mars! that is really really excellent news. I’m sure to be in the top 10 players in the world on this table real world. F – A – N – T – A – S – T – I – C.

For the ps4 implementation,
4 things are really necessary :
- reduced load/save times. near dealbreaker today.
- reduced input lag. It’s bad, even @ 720p.
- Bring on Dracula ! “I never drink wine”
- Bring on Indiana Jones.

By the way, I discovered this wonderful game through ps+ subscription. Bought all additionnal tables, so all in all, i bet your return on investment is not bad on some total hardcore pinball addicts.

Cya

Rodia_73 15 March, 2013 @ 8:48 pm   15

Wha?

Star Trek & PS4 and no word of fixing broken released tables on PS3?

That’s no cool, “FarSight”!

Carnivius_Prime 15 March, 2013 @ 9:41 pm   16

Dunno how I missed this game. Tables based on real ones I used to play? I may have to go purchase it when I have a bit of money. Any chance you guys will do the old Doctor Who pinball table?

nakano1987 16 March, 2013 @ 6:30 pm   17

This is a very good Pinball game. I prefer this much more than Zen Pinball due to realism.

About the bugs. Which all PS3 tables are broken and in what extend so I can avoid buying them? Hopefully fixes are planned and the developer could comment the issue / patch schedule. In addition, the challenge mode is not implemented yet (it’s been ~1 year since the launch).

As asked, I am also interested in knowing if PS3 dlc tables could be freely transferable to PS4. And will you continue to develop more tables to both PS4 and PS3 during PS4 era?

Final question, would it be possible to add split screen multiplayer support for PS3? Would be fun. And maybe some in-game bonuses when the player completes Standard / Wizard challenges (Pro table unlock maybe).

capostrophy 17 March, 2013 @ 8:26 am   18

When you guys fix your vita tables I’ll gladly dish out for your newer tables/PS4 releases. Otherwise don’t even bother porting over the ipad versions like it seems you have been.

It’s very sad that none of your most recent vita add-ons compare to the quality of the initial release when all other versions (including ipad w/lower specs) look great.

Quit porting or don’t even bother.

Pinball Arcade breaks my heart.

This game is sheer brilliance interrupted by numerous episodes of aggravation due to game breaking bugs and countless graphical issues (low res textures on vita, frame rate skips, etc.)

I’ll pass on new titles moving forward until Farsight can show a commitment to quality over quantity. It would seem this studio has stretched itself thin trying to release their product on every platform known to man.