Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 7:00pm

Star Trek: The Next Generation warps to The Pinball Arcade tomorrow

The Pinball Arcade - Star Trek TNG

Hey everyone, Bobby King from FarSight Studios here. We just got back from Dallas and the Texas Pinball Festival. It’s a tremendously fun weekend that includes playing hundreds of classic and rare pinball machines to the latest tables from Stern Pinball, like The Avengers; and Jersey Jack’s first table, Wizard of Oz (which looks and plays great and features the first LCD backbox display in pinball history).

In Dallas, we were lucky enough to get to spend some time with legendary pinball designer, Steve Ritchie. The “King of Flow” even took some time to check out our latest PS3 feature, stereoscopic 3D before heading back to Stern where we know he’s working on his next pinball design destined to be a classic.

This week we’ll be releasing one of his designs – Star Trek: The Next Generation. It’s an amazing table and on pretty much everyone’s top 10 all-time list.

Based on the hit television series, STTNG puts players in the role of an honorary Starfleet Officer serving next to their favorite characters from the show. Features include eight different U.S.S Enterprise missions, many Multi-Ball Modes, Holodeck Video Modes and opportunities to advance in rank.

8569213887_195d6bf3ae_o

One unique feature is a patented, below the playfield multiple ball delivery system, which results in continuous gameplay when balls on the playfield fall into a cellar hole. With its amazing feature set, custom speech by eight original cast members and the show’s theme song and music, this table appeals to all players but is a Star Trek fan’s dream come true.

While we were in Texas, we recorded an interview (to be released next year) where Steve shared some stories with us about designing and developing Star Trek: TNG, in addition to his favourite features of the the table.

8570311082_a6495c37d5_o

For example, when they had their first meeting with the Star Trek licensing executives, they were first told that photon torpedoes could not be in the design. With the help of Roger Sharpe’s diplomatic rhetoric and Steve’s insistence that he was not about to design a “mamby pamby” game – they were able to come up with compromises that led to a deep and compelling rule set.

During gameplay, the player gets to choose missions that change up the objectives on the table. All of these missions are fun and make every game different. Steve and I share the same favourite mission, Battle Simulation. In this mode, the two probes are loaded with pinballs and given targets to fire at and hit. The satisfaction of getting on a roll hitting the targets is a blast. Once the player gets through all of the missions, they can earn Final Frontier multi-ball – one of the most intense and spectacular pinball experiences ever created.

For those who don’t know, we owe a huge amount of thanks to the generosity and dedication of our backers on Kickstarter. Without them, the Star Trek: The Next Generation pinball project would not have been funded. We continue to be amazed and humbled by the tremendous outpouring of support that our game has received from all of our fans.

On behalf of the entire team here at FarSight Studios, we are very proud and excited to be releasing Williams’ Star Trek: The Next Generation table into The Pinball Arcade! Backers can expect vouchers for both the Pro Version of the table and the custom balls over the next couple days.

8570311108_07c2ea3e3e_o

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

13 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
steven_dutch 19 March, 2013 @ 7:40 pm   1

Thanks for the update Bobby.
Big fan of the Star Trek series and this table.
Hoping you guys can keep releasing new tables for years to come.
Hope the kickstarter for Terminator 2 succeeds as well.

Carnivius_Prime 19 March, 2013 @ 7:41 pm   2

Cool stuff. I don’t know if it was answered before but are there any plans for the old Doctor Who pinball table to be recreated in this? I’d certainly buy that.

Are we still forced to use the shoulder buttons on Vita? I’d much prefer to use my thumbs. Soon as I can use a face button/d-pad combo, I’ll buy all the tables you can throw at me.

planeet32 19 March, 2013 @ 7:53 pm   4

Hi Bobby, good to see another awesome pinnball table comming to TPA! A big thank you to FS and the kickstarter backers!

How much it will cost?
It looks awesome btw :D

nakano1987 20 March, 2013 @ 7:53 am   6

This looks nice; I will probably get this (thanks Kickstarter participants!). However, would be cooler if FarSight Studios would not only be advertising here, but also replying to questions (see your previous article).

I also would like to suggest a different kind of approach to selling the table packs. Usually the pack’s other table doesn’t seem that interesting to me so selecting the two tables individually would be great. Next I will be waiting for LOTR table, hopefully you get it done someday.

First starwars table, now star trek. Is it much to hope for a stargate? :D

Ronin1980 20 March, 2013 @ 8:58 am   8

Will the issues with the Vita version be fixed in the future? It has poor resolution and textures on the most recent tables and is particularly noticeable on the Twilight Zone.

The four original tables look much better compared to the new ones. It’s as if it is using the tables from one of the mobile versions and not optimising it for the Vita. This has been mentioned many times on the Pinball arcade forum but so far to no response from the creators.

Just downloaded the Vita update. Can’t see any option to use d-pad/face button. I eagerly await the next update… I may have to try and overcome my shoulder button phobia. New interface looks much better.

nakano1987 20 March, 2013 @ 4:44 pm   10

Bought this and initial feeling is it’s a very good table. I see you improved the user interface. It’s really much more user friendly now. For next update you should improve the icon art for PS3, though.

zxRATTLExz 20 March, 2013 @ 8:39 pm   11

Just bought this table and it seems ok. The ball seems a bit wild and floaty….maybe that’s how it plays in reality cos i never played this table before. Just noticed the change to the menus aswell. The new music reminds me of something i need to keep reminding you of Bobby, we NEED, or I need, the Tommy Pinball Wizard table to be added ASAP. Kickstart it, whatever it takes :D

Inacito 21 March, 2013 @ 4:06 am   12

I am looking for the stereoscopic 3D option but I cannot find it anywhere. Is it already out or do we have to wait? Pleae, I’m anxious to see my tables in 3D.

Rodia_73 22 March, 2013 @ 2:46 pm   13

Is it possible to get rid of the cheap ugly new menu?

It makes powerpoint presentations look like The Gioconda.

Good idea to sell pro versions of tables we already bought, BTW.