Posted 2:00pm

FINAL FANTASY X and FINAL FANTASY X-2 coming soon to PS3 and PS Vita (Update: first trailer)

European release. Today, I’m happy to be able to return with some equally awesome news! FINAL FANTASY X and FINAL FANTASY X-2 will be getting the same high definition treatment – being released in Europe this year!

For those of you who love to lounge around at home with your PlayStation 3 and a big telly, you’ll get both FINAL FANTASY X and X-2 bundled together on one disc, called FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster. If however you find yourself always on the go, trying to sneak in a quick gaming session during your lunch break, then FINAL FANTASY X HD Remaster and FINAL FANTASY X-2 HD Remaster will be available separately for PS VITA.

FF10HD09

Final Fantasy fans will be excited to know that they’re not just getting a mind-blowingly beautifully HD version of the game they love, oh no! Both games are based on the International version, which is the most complete, feature-heavy iteration of each game to release. The International version of FINAL FANTASY X-2 never made it to European shores before, so there’s quite a chunk of additional content for you to dive into!

FF10HD08FF10HD04

The International version of FINAL FANTASY X introduces an Expert version of the Sphere Grid in which all the characters start in the middle and you can choose any path… but there are fewer nodes and therefore a decrease in the number of upgrades available – challenging indeed! This edition also includes new abilities, new superbosses (Dark Aeons and Penance), and more.

FINAL FANTASY X-2 is also getting the International treatment, high definition graphics and more content than I can list! But you’ll have to wait a little bit longer until we reveal the full list of enhancements and extra features.

FF10HD10FF10HD01

So all in all that’s pretty great stuff, huh? We know you’ve been eager to hear more so let me leave you with the exciting news that you’ll be getting a trailer on March 25 – make sure to pop back here then!

Got any questions? Feel free to leave them in the comments and we’ll answer what we can. For the latest news on FINAL FANTASY X/X-2 HD Remaster follow us on Twitter, like us on Facebook, or if you’re just looking to chat with a fellow gamer then feel free to say hi on @benbateman.

FF10HD03FF10HD07

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

113 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

liamlangan 22 March, 2013 @ 2:02 pm   1

Nice, hope the release date isn’t too far away, this will surely help boost the Vita’s sales

Benjamin Bateman 26 March, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

I can’t give you a specific date at this time, but when we’re ready to announce it you’ll find it on the Square Enix blog.

Hmm.. PS4 is coming… Too many good games getting hd release now /:

gerneric123 22 March, 2013 @ 2:04 pm   3

Will FFX and FFX-2 HD on Vita be PSN-only? You guys don’t have an Amazon preorder page up for them.

gerneric123 22 March, 2013 @ 2:05 pm   4

Will this be DD-only on Vita? You guys didn’t put a preorder page for it on Amazon.

This may be a long shot, but what are the chances of dual audio for the PS3 version? I doubt the Vita could fit dual audio since it can’t fit both games anyway, but is there a chance of Japanese and English voices for the PS3 disc?

bidbaldwolf86 22 March, 2013 @ 2:08 pm   6

This is looking impressive and I can’t wait to have them both on the go

Benjamin Bateman 26 March, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

Good to hear! As you can imagine, I’m just as excited to be able to share the details. Good times!

QuietlyWrong 22 March, 2013 @ 2:10 pm   7

Om nom nom! Portable FFX and FFX-2 will be blissful.

Please say that the Vita versions will be fairly priced… [crosses fingers] – any chance of a buy-both bargain bundle?

That’s nice. And yet all that I really want is Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross as PSOne Imports on my Vita. Pretty please!

S-o-h-a-i-l 22 March, 2013 @ 2:11 pm   9

The Vita versions will be sold at a lower price then the PS3 version I’m assuming, considering each title is seperate rather then bundled together ?

Also, is there any word on release date ?

Timberman80 22 March, 2013 @ 2:12 pm   10

Sooooooo super excited for this :D

XeniEmi 22 March, 2013 @ 2:13 pm   11

All my money!
Cannot wait to order both versions of these. X was the game which got me into the jRPG genre so I cannot wait to replay these games both on my PS3 and on the move on my Vita.

DoYouLikeMyID 22 March, 2013 @ 2:14 pm   12

I wonder if FF XII wil get an HD remaster too, then I’d be able to play every main entry in the series starting from Final Fantasy VII :D

I also can’t wait for Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMIX (And the eventual Kingdom Hearts HD 2.5 ReMIX).

nakano1987 22 March, 2013 @ 2:15 pm   13

@Zankes Why is that a bad thing? It’s not been a year since I bought PS3 and it’s great to see new good games for it (skipped PS2 era).
@Azuardo Yeah, dual audio would be great!

Chocobo115 22 March, 2013 @ 2:16 pm   14

can we have Xengears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross & Parasite Eve on the EU PSN Store please?
US have been having thoose for long now.

Benjamin Bateman 26 March, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

I’m just talking about Final Fantasy X/X-2 today, but I hear you! I’ll chat with the higher-ups and see if I can grab an answer to share with you.

Lucreto 22 March, 2013 @ 2:16 pm   15

I am seriously looking forward to this. I hope it releases during the Summer.

Any chance of a Special Edition?

Jucksalbe 22 March, 2013 @ 2:17 pm   16

Will you be able to transfer saves between the Vita and PS3 version?

Also, is there a chance for a bundle of both the PS3 and Vita versions? I’ll probably pick them all up anyway, would be nice to have some kind of collector’s edition.

Kspec_9 22 March, 2013 @ 2:20 pm   17

Great news! Any word on Cross-buy or Cross-save?

stargateheaven 22 March, 2013 @ 2:21 pm   18

Now if you could just reveal dual language (Japanese and English) then it would be the ultimate release!!! Come on, there must be space on there.. It seems square enix is one of the few japanese companies that leave out japanese language on their RPGs.

Kresnik258 22 March, 2013 @ 2:23 pm   19

Awesome to see. I’d very much like to know what your plans are with the Vita versions though. Specifically: Is there going to be a retail release? And how will they be priced?

Tagged_Deaf 22 March, 2013 @ 2:24 pm   20

Awesome news!!

So looking forward to playing both games again!

I hope to see a FFXII remaster also in the future :)

DesVolstgalph 22 March, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   22

Absolutely cannot wait!

This, KH 1.5 and FFXIV :)

dark_angel69 22 March, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   23

WOOHOO!! I read about this on Kotaku the other day and was really hoping for the news to be true. I’m soo excited ^^ Final Fantasy x-2 was the first Final Fantasy game I ever played and don’t remember it very but I look forward to playing them both :D

Alan2112 22 March, 2013 @ 2:28 pm   24

OMG fantastic news, will probably go with Vita version depending on price,reviews and controls. FFX12 HD please, never finished it as the PS3 came out while I was half way through it.

LiquidSolid 22 March, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   25

Can’t wait to play FFX without the game breaking 50Hz slowdown the original release had.

Just please, if you’re releasing both games separately on Vita, at least price them appropriately (so buying both adds up to the same price as the PS3 collection). If you do I’ll probably end up buying both versions.

And for the sake my sanity, no lightning dodging trophies.

stargateheaven 22 March, 2013 @ 2:38 pm   26

Man i forgot to say i love this game so much. It’s one of my favourite FF games of all time, now in HD is even better!!
I would like to go through in Japanese (Hope its in!!) this time, however..

pinkplaybunny 22 March, 2013 @ 2:38 pm   27

I really hope one of the enhancements is that you can save at any time and not only at the save points. I never finished this game as i got the right hump after 3 hours of grinding to be inches away from the save point and died in a random battle! This happened twice at the same point, the controller nearly went through the TV…

Looking forward to trophy support though on a positive note! :-)

The version we got when FFX was originally released in Europe was actually the International version so there’s no new content in the game besides the graphical improvements. Kinda silly it’s being pointed out as a super special thing in the blog post.

Benjamin Bateman 26 March, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Check out the video – hopefully you’ll agree that passing this off as just graphical improvements doesn’t do it justice. There’s other benefits too, just we’re not ruining the surprise. You’ll have to wait to hear more ;)

Worth noting that you’re right about FFX International getting a European release. FFX-2 however never made it over here, so that’s pretty cool, huh?!

PIREDERAS 22 March, 2013 @ 2:43 pm   29

Thanks for the FFX HD remaster (never had the chance to play it in my PS2, apart from a demo), the news about FFX-2 being remastered too was a surprise. Any chance for releasing a FFXII HD in the future?

Artemisthemp 22 March, 2013 @ 2:43 pm   30

So happy about FFX and FFX-2 been released, just hope there will be Cross Save, so I can swift to Vita version, when I leave the house

Silent_Gig 22 March, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   31

Cant wait to add FFX X-2 bubbles onto my vita screen panel along with my FF1-FF9 :]

MavSkipper 22 March, 2013 @ 2:50 pm   32

I second LiquidSolid’s post.

Here’s hoping for a PS3/Vita bundle.

supersmith2500 22 March, 2013 @ 2:52 pm   33

This is going to help Vita sales more. Well done Square for releasing Final Fantasy on the Vita. =D

Turtleing 22 March, 2013 @ 2:53 pm   34

Will the vita version be on cart because I am fed up of Digital games for the vita. I don’t have the space. I really want Ragnarok Oddysey but being digital only I can’t get it. I can’t get MGS HD because its OVER 3GB!

If we had 100+gb memory cards then great but for now…stop releasing Digital only crap!

Can´t wait for these games. The best games I have ever played.:! My Vita and PS3 is ready.
Some Questions :
- When will arrive in Europe..?
- Is it cross buy or cross save..?

Hope you can answer something.!

Cloud_AC 22 March, 2013 @ 2:57 pm   36

Can’t wait! Thank you, Square Enix!

bidbaldwolf86 22 March, 2013 @ 3:02 pm   37

@Turtleing

MGS HD got a retail release as well for the Vita. I picked it up for about £20

I agree though in that this should really get a retail release. Ragnarok Odyssey being digital only was a big disappointment

ste_the_legend 22 March, 2013 @ 3:02 pm   38

@28, It was FFX-2 that had different content in the International version, named “Final Fantasy X-2 International + Last Mission”, which for some reason never got a PAL release. Hopefully this new version will have that. More Dress-spheres :)

Mougurijin 22 March, 2013 @ 3:06 pm   39

Did this game really need a remaster that bad? Maybe my memory of the PS2 graphics isn’t correct.
Still, might finally be worth getting a Vita now, with this (and GGXXAC+R) on the way…
However, release the Gameboy Advance version of FF6 (and FF5) remastered with polished, fast, 2D graphics on the Vita, with the PS1 FMVs, and I’ll definitely buy a Vita instantly. :)

(p.s. Good job EU blog for not posting a link to the Facebook page of some random guy whose page just happens to be named ‘finalfantasyX’… unlike the US blog, lol.)

XnoobsquadX 22 March, 2013 @ 3:11 pm   40

Best news of the year now i hope we can get it in june.
Any news on Collectors editions or special editions?
pricewise i really hope they wont ask the premium price(well maybe if they were bundled it’d be ok). Word hard peeps get it to us soon!
gonna start hauling ass on persona so im done bfore ffx is released;P

WolfiePL 22 March, 2013 @ 3:14 pm   41

Final Fantasy avatars on ps store please :-)

Podyman 22 March, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   42

Any news about western release of Final Fantasy Type-0?

Azuardo 22 March, 2013 @ 3:32 pm   43

Oh, any hints of a special or limited edition of the PS3 game at all?

pelliot 22 March, 2013 @ 3:32 pm   44

Hey folks, thanks for all your comments and questions. It’s great to see all the excitement around these games!

I don’t have anything else I can add *right now* – but we’ll be back real soon with more details, so make sure to keep checking back.

Grizzly-Fish 22 March, 2013 @ 3:38 pm   45

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
THANK YOU Absolutely cannot wait!

deimian86 22 March, 2013 @ 3:43 pm   46

I would kill someone if this games are download only on Vita. So, retail release please.

Nemaides 22 March, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   47

I also wonder if there’s any news regarding type-0. From what I’ve seen it looks really good. I can’t understand why it isn’t here already? Is there not enough demand, or what?

SoulWarrior84 22 March, 2013 @ 3:55 pm   48

Awesome!! I was waiting for this.

RustySanderke 22 March, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   49

I bought a Vita at launch for this!
I’m still interested, although I do wonder what’s taking so long.

KylieDog 22 March, 2013 @ 4:04 pm   50

Great way to screw Vita, probably need pay more for both games and it looks like they be digital only.

Load all