Posted 3:00pm

Weekend Debate: The best sports game of all time (Update)

The Weekend Debate

UPDATE: As ever, thanks to everyone who took part this week. Your suggestions had me dropping my Easter eggs over the holiday weekend and scrambling for YouTube! The following five posters claim a Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 for PS3: Azuardo (post 4), MafiaCub (21), bigmat319 (80), RevanClaw (85) and vonhammer (112). Your codes will be sent as a PM via your account on the official forums.

ORIGINAL POST: In honour of Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14‘s release earlier this week, I thought it would be appropriate to put a sporting bent on today’s debate. I’ve never been hugely into sports titles, but when one grabs me, it doesn’t let go. I dread to think how many hours I poured into International Superstar Soccer on PlayStation 2 during my student days, and before that, the original PGA Tour Golf on my first computer back in the early ’90s. Darn it, showing my age there. :(

What about you? What do you rate as the finest – or funnest – sports title ever? Gran Turismo? FIFA? Brian Lara Cricket? Shaq Fu?

The top five most interesting or entertaining responses duly walk away with a download voucher for the reliably excellent Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14 on PS3. Check out the launch trailer below for a closer look at EA SPORTS‘ latest.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

147 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

batstimpy 29 March, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   1

Sensible Soccer. Epic series

johnnyquicknives 29 March, 2013 @ 3:11 pm   2

I’m not sure if I could commit to the best of all time (although certainly a contender) but this sports games generation was all about the skate series for me. I seriously hope a new one comes to PS4.

Normally I’m not big on multiplayer but I really felt that skate three’s drop in/out coop campaign was a great touch. I tend to play games in the wee hours of the morning and would find similar names would pop into my games which really made it feel like a community, especially since the goals were all cooperative with everyone working together to common goals.

OK time to go dig the skate games out for the weekend. Tomb raider can wait.

Superbuu3 29 March, 2013 @ 3:12 pm   3

Speedball. Simple fastpaced. Easy to pick up and takes years to master. It doesn’t matter how many times I play it on various machines the addictive nature always kicks in again.

Olympic Soccer on PS1. Not even joking. One of the first games I got with my PS1 all those years ago and some of the best multiplayer fun I’ve ever had! The graphics were quite laughable, with blocky players that had no faces, but the sheer unrealistic gameplay was what made this game so awesome. You could literally smash the ball from the opposite end of the field, put on wicked bend, and score some amazing goals. Goals from goal kicks, goals from corners, flying overhead kicks. With the wet weather on to slide for metres, and even slide into the goal whilst scoring, Olympic Soccer was insane fun in groups. And let’s not forget the awesome commentary from Radio 5 Live’s Alan Green! I’ve had more fun with this 1996 classic than I’ve ever had with the realistic FIFAs and other sports games.

The13thMan 29 March, 2013 @ 3:14 pm   5

For me it’s WWF Smackdown on the PS1 – smart, simple controls and a never-bettered season mode. I put many hours into getting the best possible stats for my created robot and dinosaur wrestlers – even a decade later I still remember bashing away delivering Falcon Arrow after Falcon Arrow – pure stress-relieving fun.

Best sports game ever has to be the MLB The Show series. They have just got better and better as the years have gone by.

The latest, MLB 13 The Show, on the PS3 looks like you are watching a proper live broadcast from ESPN!! The Vita version isn’t a million years behind it – and that’s a game you can play on the bus, work, in bed or even on the toilet (as I often do)!!!

The best news is that now Europe are embracing the game and we no longer have to import the game to play on our fair shores!

Long may MLB The Show continue to wow me.

skells22 29 March, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   7

yep agree with post 5 there. also Fifa

doomsday619 29 March, 2013 @ 3:20 pm   8

Daley Thompson Decathalon was one of my favorites as a kid just a pain to load you would have to get everyone out of the room while it loaded and scream at anyone who sneezed or breathed, and once loaded after a few hours play you would have to wear gloves because the skin on your fingers would start to peel off…..oh the memories lol.
Being a WWE fan my favorite one of them has to be Smackdown here comes the Pain or WWE All Stars just for the arcadey controls.
But my favorite of this gen has to be Sports Champions Disk Golf, I have Sports Champions 2 but always go back to the first game as its really addictive and great to play when i have mates around.

The13thMan 29 March, 2013 @ 3:21 pm   9

Though I did also put hours into Speedball 2 – the game played beautifully and delivered all the requisite futuristic competetive action violence, thanks in part to a well balanced upgrade system.

And I’ll throw in another vote for Super Sprint on the Atari ST – only three keys required, pure racing action, and like all these games, better played with friends. Good times, good times…

Causton97 29 March, 2013 @ 3:22 pm   10

I remember playing Fifa 97 way back on the PS1! I’ve never been keen on football games at all really, I hate the sport… but that was the one game that I really enjoyed! I wasn’t very good at it, I would constantly just tackle every player and take pot shots from the halfway line, but it was amazingly fun to play and I kept coming back to it. There was even the opportunity to play in an indoor stadium, something I miss from the newer Fifa games!

Sure, I couldn’t play online, but there was nothing better than having some mates round on the sofa and having a really great game with them! Those experiences will never be beaten and I’ll cherish them forever!

It just goes to show how a game that you can be absolutely terrible at can still be really fun to play at the same time!

champ man/football manager. started playing on the amiga and the amount of hours ive sunk into them is startling for example on fm12 i decided to check how long id been playing and the time had gone from hours to days and was currently up to 27 days that was 648 hours of play. Compare that to 128 hours on skyrim, 92 hours for final fantasy 8 and i hadnt even finished playing.

you cant beat the feeling of taking a blue square north team to the premiership or finding that gem of a player who cost peanuts but goes on to be one of the best players ever for your club or getting so far into the game man united get relegated.

Omac_brother 29 March, 2013 @ 3:24 pm   12

Euro 96. What a game.

chrisboers 29 March, 2013 @ 3:25 pm   13

Nothing beats Track & Fields, the button masher, which actually cost my quite a few joysticks. I first played this game in the gamehalls, and spent many a dime on it. While it’s a sports game, it is also one of the first ‘rythm’ games, as you really had to mash the buttons in a certain rythm to run the fastest, jump the hurdles on time, and place the pole at the right moment for the highest jump. I played it on many a format (gamehall, MSX and PC), but alas not yet on a Playstation console. Did it ever get released on PSN?

MaxDiehard 29 March, 2013 @ 3:25 pm   14

I’m not big into sports, but for me it has to be the SSX Series and Shaun White Snowboarding.

Jestersoil 29 March, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   15

I’ll have to go with Fifa series cause i’ve laughed and and had for years paying with my brothers and cousins all together :D
you can never know what’s going to happen and there are extremely funny moments :D

Agamer2006 29 March, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   16

Im not the biggest sport fan in the world, but I do love my racing games, may the be gran turismo or any of the codemasters games.

I would have said something about one of the Gran Turismo games (Manly Gran Turismo 3) but a year ago I decided to try out GRID after hearing so much about it and it falling under my radar. Have to say the GRID is one of the best packaged racing games ive ever played, bringing with it not just racing but customisation and the ability to manage a team. Not many racing games go the deep.

I would put Grid up for Best Sport Game and I cant wait for Grid 2 to take that title

godheit 29 March, 2013 @ 3:30 pm   17

I would say Pro Evolution Soccer 6 playing against friends and was a hell lot of fun and (propably in my mind) the best game of these series.

regards and happy easter :)

modzerowo40i 29 March, 2013 @ 3:31 pm   18

FIFA 98: Road to World Cup

Nick_Bester 29 March, 2013 @ 3:31 pm   19

The SSX series… Love them all!

Player42791 29 March, 2013 @ 3:34 pm   20

I’d say best is most realistic and for me that’s real world golf on the PS2. More for the controller than the game though. It used the gametrak controller and I remember that whenever I took a swing the path of the ball was almost a perfect copy of the path of the ball in real life. In other words I was just as bad in the game as I was in real life.

MafiaCub 29 March, 2013 @ 3:37 pm   21

NBA 2k13

I know Basketball isn’t everyones cup of tea, but god damn you can’t deny that that game does everything right. Every star player has a near photorealistic digital counterpart, other players on the team look at least as good as most other sports games. The bench and crowd are always active, and not just flat pixels. From a graphics standpoint, it’s top notch. The sound is also amazing, from the squeaks of the shoes on the court, down to the fantastic play by play commentary which rarely repeats, and always gives great insight in the history of teams and players.

There’s plenty of game modes to go through, either as a pro today, or by taking a legend through their career. You can even be a manager.

Game play is tight, games are close without you ever feeling screwed. To me it’s just the perfect sports game. I can go from watching a game on ESPN, to playing this on my PS3 and not really notice any difference in the presentation and sound. I play a lot of sports games, to me, this is ALWAYS the best of year.

BluSpykz 29 March, 2013 @ 3:39 pm   22

Fifa 95 on the Sega Megadrive. The game that ultimately kickstarted a massive, worldwide franchise. EA were on to a winner here, but it still had fictitious names.

The tagline for this game was “The BEST console football can get!” – and at the time people truly believed this. Smooth(ish) passing, better graphics than those seen just a year earlier – this was the pinnacle of sports gaming at the time. There was no substitute, there was nothing better.

Obviously with the release of PS1, PS2, and PS3 (and competitors) the graphics, and gameplay have come on leaps and bounds – but my favourite football game still remains Fifa 95.

(If PSN could somehow bring Fifa 95 and Fifa International to the store, I’d snap it up in an instant!)

ShinYagami13 29 March, 2013 @ 3:45 pm   23

never been a fan of sports games but i really loved Tiger Woods 99 on my psone! after i mastered it it was all eagles or better with my favorites of course being those Hole in one’s =)
please oh please God let me win the new one!!!! :D

vonhammer 29 March, 2013 @ 3:50 pm   24

As wrestling has been mentioned, I loved the N64′s WCW vs series that later became WWF:WM 2000 and No Mercy. Since then the genre has been dead.

If I had the ability to create games or the money to fund one, I’d ask syn Sophia (AKI) if I could pay homage to their games and release a download only game.
I’d release tool’s were players could mod on PC and import arena,music,moves,characters,story arc’s,weapons, match types.

It would be the ultimate wrestling game that had a single player that focused on how well a player could work.
You could chose what era you start in, and that would reflect the style of your wrestler. The game would then evolve over time and you’d need to adapt over to stay relevant and still be a draw 20 years into your career.

I want to see wresting games evolve beyond what was done in the mid 90′s and the crud that’s pumped out each year. In the hay day,the games were played by people who didn’t even watch it on Tv. And I think that audience is still there.

cheekyMcB 29 March, 2013 @ 3:54 pm   25

Virtua Tennis 2. Great arcade gameplay with a career mode I spent AGES on (appropriate given it’s a SEGA game, LOL). The silly mini-games to train your player capped it off brilliantly.

iordanis1908 29 March, 2013 @ 3:57 pm   26

FIFA 98 road to World Cup (ps1) !!!!! All time classic !!!!

solarwind12 29 March, 2013 @ 4:02 pm   27

Hi Fred. hope your having a good one. Well after giving this one a bit of thought i think i will go with a fighting genre.. Not the ‘modern’ type though. but maybe Gladiater Begins, yes i been watching the yearly Roman era tv films, Ben Hur and such, and, at that time those activities were considered sport.. Thinking about it not much has really changed, imo, obviously the killing of ones opponent, opponents isn’t included in this, yet the basic concept, well competitiveness IS i believe exactly the same today as it was for those Roman’s and Greek’s at i guess was the dawn of sport, as we know it. i mean i used to watch olympics when younger thinking, crap, no ‘real’ tv shows on now for weeks, lol.. obviously growing older changed that a lot, but learning, mostly through my interest in ps games, the origins of the olympics, well am sure you must know how mind blowing stuff like that can be.. i mean just one example, the ‘marathon’, when i found out why this got it’s name, well it amazes me. the Athens soldier Sprinting from somewhere to City of Marathon, delivering important warning, Then after delivering message drops dead. wow, truly just wow. Anyway have nice weekend.

I don’t play many sports games so I like them to be creative, SSX Tricky was great for it’s wackiness, but I’m going to say Sports Champions.
It was a promising start for Move with the accuracy of the controls, it was fun with friends and wasn’t afraid to be creative, rather than the usual golf, bowling and tennis we got Frisbee golf, bocce and gladiators. I would have liked a full game to come out of the gladiator one. Also archery with two controllers felt a lot cooler than maybe it should have.

Mr_Egregious 29 March, 2013 @ 4:04 pm   29

Jonah Lomu Rugby on the PS1. All about the addictive gameplay, and the unlocks – a team composed entirely of Jonah Lomus and a team with a ridiculously tall player and a tiny super-quick full back – were great for a 2-player laugh. There hasn’t been a rugby game since that has entertained me so much!

WayfaringWalrus 29 March, 2013 @ 4:05 pm   30

I’m going to have to say the NHL series. There aren’t many sports games which require you to mix skill, finesse and pure brute strength to win a match.

My favourite memory is from NHL 10 – playing through an entire season and making it to the Stanley Cup final with the Maple Leafs, tying 3-3 on games and losing the last game in the third period! I’ve never been so engrossed in a game.

Heartbreaking.

Rob--M-- 29 March, 2013 @ 4:06 pm   31

Has to be F1 2012. It is the best ever simulation of F1 and is insanely fun racing online against other people!

robbond 29 March, 2013 @ 4:06 pm   32

sensible soccer. when a game can be 13 all going into the last few seconds and it can go either way. it may not be realistic but you could easily pick it up and have a close action packed game. best couch coop i’ve ever played

TheLegendOfMart 29 March, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   33

Clearly Speedball 2 Brutal Deluxe.

I am a huge F1 fan and would have picked one of the codemasters F1 games but they are buggy as hell.

Stonesthrow 29 March, 2013 @ 4:15 pm   34

A few come to mind despite having neglected the genre for years now. So I take it these were good enough to be remembered.. World Cup 98 on ps1 is one of those. I’m not into soccer at all but during World Cups I get slighty more into it, that year more than usual because a lot of my friends and people in school talked about it. It was a good way to get to know players and was a great game too. Probably the only real sportgame I got into pretty deeply and played regularly, together with Space Jam on the SNES in my earier years.
Other sports take me back to Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater on ps1 and SSX on ps2, two great games in which I also invested a lot of time.
If racing counts too, I’d go for Gran Turismo 5, by far my favorite in the series for its technical advances. Although I love Motorstorm Apocalypse just as much.

A_Nonny_Moose 29 March, 2013 @ 4:20 pm   35

Virtua Tennis World Tour on the PSP. Pretty much the only sports game that’s ever held my interest for more than 15 minutes. There was something very arcade-ey about the controls that made it fun to play. I tried other Virtua Tennis titles out afterwards, thinking I’d been missing out on a great series all this time, but they weren’t nearly as good.

bobopudge 29 March, 2013 @ 4:21 pm   36

The most fun, funny and insane sports game for me has to be space jam all the way back on the PS1. This was one of the first games I ever played and I still remember how I used to get my team and destroy the opposition (some of the time).

Certinty 29 March, 2013 @ 4:25 pm   37

Top Spin 4.

It’s a shame the game never got the credit it deserved. 2K Sports practically nailed almost every aspect. Amazing game.

DoYouLikeMyID 29 March, 2013 @ 4:29 pm   38

I’ve always enjoyed the WWE games. Mostly because of what I think is the greatest character-creation mode in any video game ever. You can practically change everything about your character :D

It really is a joy to see the character you created go against the best superstars in WWE, or just create your dream-match between existing superstars, ith the stipulation you want, in the arena you want. You can also make title matches and so many other things your heart desires.

It will definately be interesting to see what 2K will do with the WWE franchise, now that THQ is no more. I’m not sure what to expect from what will undoubtfully be called “WWE 2K14″, but we’ll see.

Btw, I’m not really interested in Tiger Woods PGA TOUR 14, so don’t pick my comment.

yorkypud1976 29 March, 2013 @ 4:35 pm   39

For me it has to be the MLB THE SHOW series of games. Id heard so many great things about it and took the plunge and imported the 12 edition from Canada. Even tho i was limited to noonline due to it being a import i was blown away by the sheer depth of the game and the amazing graphics on show, The detail of the players and stadium right down to popcorn vendors plying their trade is amazing and it fooled a few friends into believing i was actually watching live tv. Iwas overjoyed when this years version was a PAL release and immediately snapped it up off the store and its now even better with online available at last. Fifa and the like have a lot they could learn from it and im drooling at that hought of a PS4 version.

DecypherSlo 29 March, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   40

My choice would either be SSX: Tricky or maybe Skate 2.

I had a lot of fun playing SSX tricky with my friends, back when I still had a PS2. We would often just dismiss the race and focus on getting as much points as possible by performing tricks and stunts. There isn’t a better feeling than keeping a Tricky streak for almost the whole lenght of the track whilst trying to not get turned into a pancake by crashing into a tree. Good Times.

As for Skate 2, it’s pretty self explanatory; Hall Of Meat. Enough said.

Terarded 29 March, 2013 @ 4:42 pm   41

none because they are all crap

i dont understand why anyone would pay to play a game alone in a dark room, when they can go and play it in real life with friends for free with the benefits of exercise.

and thats coming from me, a guy who throws a lot of hatred at people who judge people for choosing games over sports.

BaBy-_-D3aN0 29 March, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   42

Difficult question as I’m a huge fan of the majority of sports, football in particular. However, while I’m a huge fan of football, the best sports game for me is something completely different.

The hours of fun I had and still have playing Top Spin 4 is astounding. While it can be called repetitive (aren’t all sports games?), the career mode, bringing your player up from a small tennis court to the finals of the US Open/Australian Open is a enjoyable experience in which you feel a great deal of achievement once you accomplish something big.

The inclusion of PS Move also helps me stay active (of sorts), and adds that extra bit of competitiveness all sports games should have. Just a shame not many people play it Online any more, as playing against other people is the main part of a sports game. Still very enjoyable to play on the hardest difficulty though :D

The biggest attraction to sports in general is competitiveness and achievement, two factors I believe are shown in abundance in Top Spin 4. Therefore in my opinion, Top Spin 4 is the best sports game out there.

stealthstu007 29 March, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   43

Not really sure if you would class it as a sports game, as its not really, but it is a racing game, and as you mentioned Gran Turismo at the top i’m going with this as its a racing game too.

Micro Machines 2 Turbo Tournament.

the hours my friends and i played that game was immense, it was a truly tournament game, with such simple game play anyone could pick it up and play.

A great solo player game as well as multiplayer, i could play it for hours on my own, just learning the basic tracks off the top of my head, exactly how to take each turn to maximise my speed so that i could beat my friends (however my plans were pretty much blown out the water whenever someone would just get in the way.)

The multiplayer was the main selling point for me tho, and it was never a serious racing game, knocking opponents off the edge of the kitchen sink and other items was great, and it was never a dull moment playing with your friends on this game. The Mega Drive cartridge contained two extra control pad ports so that 4 player gaming was a privledge, and the ability to have two players on a controller allowed 8 players, but that was never as much fun as four player!

KRadiation 29 March, 2013 @ 5:43 pm   44

For me it’s the Everybody’s Golf games.

The gameplay is just spot on and the definition of pick up and play. I’ve bought every version made and recently the vita version and it just doesn’t get boring. When you put side spin on a ball, hit the flag pole and the ball zooms up into the sky spiralling around and then back down into the hole… It’s awesome… And its addictive. It makes you want to do it again and again… I’m wanting to jump on the vita now for another round lol.

We used to run a tournament on the evo-web forums each Wednesday night. I think we played each night, each week for about a year. The only reason we stopped was a few people changed jobs and worked nights and we just didn’t have the numbers anymore each evening.

My fingers and toes are crossed for a PS4 version.

OPIE_W1NST0N 29 March, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   45

1st of all i wud like to give you a virtual high five for the shaq-fu ref.
2nd of all even though it may be a boring choice i wud like to give a few reasons why PERSONALLY 4 me FIFA is the best sports game.
#1- it is quick to pick up and play but seems to take years to master (for both player and developer it seems ^_^)
#2- it is Multi-territorial..by this i mean the fact i can play online one minute with a englishman then an american the next and a russian the next, and each player will have a different passion for football/fotball and inturn play in a varying style..GREGWAY 2 my next point
#3- each and every game is different. which means no matter how good you are there will always be someone better than yourself so the opportunity to improve your game is always there. there will always be someone who plays in a way you are yet to experience so the need to adapt arises.
#4-It teaches the difference between a”Juan mata” and ”grey matter ”becuz of fifa ive learnt a fair bit about a game i used to love as a child ,it has bought me closer to my 2 sport frenzy brothers.but more importantly it helped me become the ‘manager of the year 2015/2016.
there is only one question left to ask.. will YOU ‘Join the club?’

Gilgamesh29 29 March, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   46

For me it’s FIFA 97 for the MegaDrive!

Full customization for teams and leagues & indoor 5-a-side!

Best bit was taking over controller two, sliding tackle your goalie and getting them sent off – play against 10 men (or 9, 8…). Cheap move, but a great bit of fun!

Brutal Sports Football on the Amiga. What other sports game can you get Space Vikings with samurai swords versus Gorn-like lizard men? And what other sports game gives you the opportunity to win by decapitating all your opponents?! It was the perfect mix of fast action, arcade sports and crazy power-ups. Can’t believe this game is over twenty years old now – this needs an HD re-release on PSN!

daxx619 29 March, 2013 @ 6:16 pm   48

Still the best memories of my youth came from all-day sessions of Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga 2600. I have 2 brothers and in the 90′s 3 player games didnt really exist so until this title we would fight over the games “console” day and night. SWOS gave us the ability to start 64 team tournaments where each of us would select 15 teams and give the CPU a few to level the field. The battles over the years moved occasionally to newer titles and different consoles but nothing ever matched the simplicity and competition of these marathon sessions.

I miss those days and even with the newest generation of titles feel poorer for losing SWOS out of our lives

supersmith2500 29 March, 2013 @ 6:23 pm   49

Motorsport games such as WRC and F1 and not to mention a great fan of them. What I love about these games is the career modes where you can build up your carrer, winning races along the way. It never gets old.

Formula 1 Grand Prix (aka World Circuit) on the Atari ST may well be my favourite game of any genre. At the time, it completely changed the way I thought about gaming and even F1 itself. I could have nominated any of the ‘Grand Prix’ sequels but that first drive always stands out.

Those game were truly influential and remained the standard bearer for later efforts from Bizarre Creations, Ubisoft, EA and Melbourne House amongst many others. Codemasters now have to live up to that benchmark and some – if not many – would say they fall short.

I and many others would agree that Geoff Crammond is much missed, a return to virtual racing is long overdue.

MaxDiehard 29 March, 2013 @ 6:39 pm   51

@Mulukh

They did make a full game out of it. It’s called Medieval Moves.

Fifa 2006 was my best sport game it was so cute :D

Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle Cars has to be one of the most fun games that you can play online with friends. It does take a while to get used to some of the crazy stunts you can pull off, but there’s nothing better than flying half the length of the pitch whilst pulling off a backflip and catching the ball perfectly to send it flying into your opponents goal.

Mattbrad 29 March, 2013 @ 7:10 pm   54

Love the ufc 3. The game not only has the thrill of a sports game but it has the air of a strategy game. Its agame that you can’t go all out fight on. You have to stay back and pick your shots. Theres so many levels you can take the game to. Thats whats important to me in a sports game

Lcslick 29 March, 2013 @ 7:19 pm   55

Got to be Three lions……. I mean come on its a game named and centered around the england team in the world cup… what other sports game would have that much drama, excitement, beauty, hope and disappointing. I remember i had to use cheats since its the only way you would even have a chance of winning with england…….. i forgot to mention its completely realistic aswell :).

CoolRichy007UK 29 March, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   56

street racer ps1 its daft funny cool and has good music

silmorat1 29 March, 2013 @ 7:51 pm   57

Playing as the team brutal deluxe on speedball 2 versus a friend on the megadrive was just awesome. As you tried scoring goals in this future sport whilst fighting bashing losing parts of armour on the way, sometimes also being taken away by an ambulance part way through the game. The non complicated controls was a blessing pressing any button would slide your playing into the direction you wanted whether you try to score,catch the ball, get a power up, beat your competitors players……pure fun. Its available as a mini now.

andrewsqual 29 March, 2013 @ 7:51 pm   58

Mutant League Hockey on the Mega Drive. And EA were just talking about bringing back Mutant League Football. Nah Hockey first please. It was so much fun, even the one on one Fights you could do and the Goals that you could get that was a huge creatures head. :)

LeeX_X_XBek 29 March, 2013 @ 7:52 pm   59

Road rash I loved it couldn’t get enough of it spent hours playing on that fun times maybe one day I’ll see another road rash but if that don’t class as a sports game then the very first gran turismo really got me into car games that game.

JediLeelaX 29 March, 2013 @ 8:02 pm   60

The best sorts game ever has to be a tennis game……..Pete sampras tennis to be exact, codemasters really made a great playable sim, was so playable, I had it on the megadrive. This was a game that I loved playing with and without a friend.

superJCwarrior 29 March, 2013 @ 8:04 pm   61

One of my favourites was an old football game on the ps1, not quite sure what it was called but it would randomly make your players shrink and stuff like that and was really fun against friends, it was really unfair but funny at the same time.

Some of my other favourites were Valora Valley Golf and Actua golf back on the Sega Saturn, ain’t picked up any golf games in a long time but i used to play those two a lot with my dad when i was younger.

KRadiation 29 March, 2013 @ 8:04 pm   62

RE: Lcslick

I remember getting an issue of OPM that had the demo (im sure it was a red cover with the england badge on.) and I played it over and over. Partly due to the fantastic intro video.

Rodia_73 29 March, 2013 @ 8:10 pm   63

How I wish the Speedball on PSN had trophies :)

Anyways my favourite sport game ever has to be Wipeout.

If futuristic racing games are not allowed then…

Fight Night Champion, with honorable mention to NHL2K10.

XboxDave360 29 March, 2013 @ 8:13 pm   64

Micro machines 2 (megadrive) was the best racing game ever, the main ingredient was fun in this toy racer, as you raced over a varying courses, around the toilet seat, snooker table, in the garden ……you get the picture. Codemasters made this game and in this game bought out the enjoyment of a racing game. The other thing is code masters made the cartridge which had 2 extra game pad connections, this allowed 4 player simultaneous game play which basicly blew my mind…….even my mother played it!

grimbarian 29 March, 2013 @ 8:23 pm   65

Daley Thompson’s Decathlon and Football Manager are great shouts.

As would be the old California games. (Surfing, Bmxing, Skating – it had everything)

But all time – best sports game… Gotta go to Tekken Bowl from Tekken Tag Tournament. So much fun – played time after time for hours and hours with mates.

You can just never tire of sending Jack flying down the lane to all those “GREAT”‘s See, http://youtu.be/i06sSItrvDc?t=1m30s

joshy2009 29 March, 2013 @ 8:32 pm   66

For me it’s got to be the original tony hawks pro skater series, I remember spending hours sat trying to complete that last objective or trying to get that high score or even playing 2 player with the neighbours. Recently downloaded the updated hd edition and its still good but doesn’t have that true retro feel to it that the originals have. It was always a proper game that didnt rely on graphics or thousands of different features that modern games have but was just a simple well made game.

polynski 29 March, 2013 @ 8:38 pm   67

doe having enough stamina to run from markarth to solitude on skyrim count as sport?

PIOTREK27-1982 29 March, 2013 @ 9:14 pm   68

ISS Pro ’98.

FRED—Ignore all the above!!! It has to be Greg Hastings Paintball, Surely? No..no one? Kidding.
Not a huge golf fan but always enjoyed the old Leaderboard golf games. Really accessible but hard to put down.

dav2612 29 March, 2013 @ 9:19 pm   70

I’ve always found Football Manager to be a tad on the addictive side. I much prefer the Handheld version to the PC game as it’s much quicker. I’m forever nipping on to the iPod for a quick match and I get told off by my wife for playing at the dinner table.

Football Manager Live caused no end of trouble to my work loads, it was too tempting to nick on at work. Fortunately my boss was very understanding about how the game gets its hooks into you… half my games were friendlies against his team!

Finallygotit_Pom 29 March, 2013 @ 9:23 pm   71

Brain lara cricket & EA Cricket were the games I had spend hours and hours together to see India lift the World cup and even more to see Sachin score double hundred and triple hundreds. Sadly there is no more new cricket games comming out. I just hope out of hope that EA or codemaster comes out with a new Cricket game …. really miss those days :(

Solid_Snake1987 29 March, 2013 @ 9:28 pm   72

There’s already been some great choices (props to those that chose Speedball and FIFA 98: Road to World Cup) but there’s one game I’ve got to say above all others because I did get so obsessed with playing it and that’s SSX 3.

For the time SSX 3 was really revolutionary. One mountain with 3 peaks, continuous play from top to bottom with no loading screens which took around 20 minutes to get down (though I could do it much faster – more on that later). It also had an awesome soundtrack and had the rather cool “DJ Atomika” commentating as you played (who also commentates on Burnout Paradise too).

Considering SSX Tricky is held in such high regard by fans of the series, the fact that SSX 3 was rated critically even better should show what standard of game that it was.

(cont.)

Solid_Snake1987 29 March, 2013 @ 9:29 pm   73

Why I loved it was not just because of the challenge it could pose to you (getting those platinum medals were tough work) but because of a series of challenges UK magazine PSM2 put in their Pro Dojo based on the game. Back then there were competitions to send in your fastest times, best scores and generally most amazing things you could do in a load of games. All you had to do was send in a video tape (remember those?) to prove it… and I did.

Not only did I have the fastest time in the UK (a little over 10 minutes), I could also do the whole entire peak in one combo. That’s holding one set of tricks down a mountain that crumbles away at times and send avalanches and fells to trees to mess you up for about 15 minutes. I’d played the game so much and learnt every single environmental trigger so I wouldn’t bail. I ended up with a free game because of that.

So that’s why I love SSX 3 and think it’s the best sports game, because of the game and the game outside the game that won me a game… (that could possibly win me another game?) ;)

Shinoda_2qx 29 March, 2013 @ 9:33 pm   74

Well, you’re probably going to think I’ve started to lose it this week, but hey, oh well!

Having been a fan of Naughty Dog for many years, I not too long ago noticed a trend. On the Ps1 we had Crash 1,2,3 and Team Racing. On the Ps2 we had Jak 1,2,3 and Combat Racing. On the Ps3 we have Uncharted 1,2,3… and a quirky little title I dreamed up last month named UnKarted! Taking us through the amazing settings from the 3 games; vast jungle areas, beautiful snow covered mountains, and long abandoned desert villages. The characters all have inflated heads, and shout out trademark one-liners out as they pass each other on the track. Dotted around each map are certain enemies, firing rockets and throwing grenades to try and derail you, while you can pick up power ups and weapons to make things awkward for the other racers too. My favourite part of this game? Getting to play as that cheeky chap Sully!

So there you are, and Naughty Dog, if you’re reading, I know you’re busy and all… but go on, make my dream real!

Too many great games, many listed above – Sensible Soccer; Speedball 2; TV Sports Football and Basketball on the Amiga. Stunt Car Racer was the beast that forced me to buy two Amigas so we could connect them via null modem cable and race against friends until the early hours. Those were great days …

SSX was the game that made me buy a PS2 and give away my PS1. Phenomenal game, played at a mates house one Saturday afternoon, could not believe how great it looked and played, absolutely blew me away, and when SSX Tricky came out … gobsmacked … I went out and bought a $500 5.1 surround sound with DTS just to play it.

Hard to compare the games from different eras, on different machines – Virtua Fighter 4, Pro Evolution Soccer (2? 3?), Burnout 2 on PS2. SSX and the Burnouts on my PSP. Is pinball a sport? I bought my Vita so I could play Pinball Arcade.

But to choose only 1? Tough, tough. SSX Tricky versus Stunt Car Racer? Different generations of games, of machines, of people and places.

SSX Tricky.

MordecaiHunter 29 March, 2013 @ 10:22 pm   76

Sport Champions 2 – ps3

From the first Sport Champions Game Everything has been tweaked in the second version, and the fact that you only ever have to do any kind of calibration with your controller when you launch the game is just awesome And so much easy to play, No more clicking the Move button when you point at the 3 spots before each event,

I Find ‘Arcade’ type of sport games more fun to play than say a fifa game, plus playing with family and friends Sport champions 2 fits the bill perfect as a pick up and play sports title

BaBy-_-D3aN0 29 March, 2013 @ 10:36 pm   77

Just remembered another sports game I used to play for hours on end, and it’s relevant to this discussion…

CyberTiger. What an incredible game that was! Never used to like golf until I played that game on my old PS1, completely changed my way of thinking about the sport. Sure, it’s not realistic, but it’s a whole lot of fun :D. One of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever played. Any chance of getting it added to the PS1 classics section? Would love to play it on my vita :D

I’ve never been big into Football, but there was something immediately satisfying about Sensible Soccer and despite the pixel graphics in comparison to today’s FIFA and PES high res highjinks, they still can’t hold a candle to the fun that I had with Sensi.

Don’t get me wrong, FIFA 13 is great and I’m happy to play the odd game here or there, but back in the 1990′s there was only one sports game that really got me excited and it wasn’t the one with the big licences.

Of course, I’ve always loved other sports based console games including Tiger Woods. Back in the day I fondly remember a group of us gathering round at a house and having huge multiplayer games on EA’s golf sim. As the night wore on and drinks flowed our pars on the course slipped, but we had so much fun it really didn’t matter.

But my biggest bugbear comes from Formula 1. I love the sport and I love what Sony did with the F1 licence, then Codemasters after that, but I just can’t for the life of me keep the car on the track. Maybe I was never born to be a Button or a Hamilton, but you’d think my years of gaming would prepare me for actually keeping a moving vehicle on a piece of (admittedly slippery) tarmac, wouldn’t you? Gah!

continued…

This week’s question also fits in with something from a previous week; Guilty Pleasures. Much as I don’t get on with all this new-fangled wrestling lark, the old arcade WWF games and the more recent All-stars on the current gen consoles have been a big guilty pleasure for me. Watching Hulk Hogan and The Ultimate Warrior duke it out again? Priceless and something I repeat over and over again in the last All-Stars release.

Of course, you could argue that all gaming is a sport, particularly the online sort. Then how would I answer the question? it would be impossible!

bigmat319 29 March, 2013 @ 10:49 pm   80

I am a big fan of The WWE series, but the best game out of the lot has to be WWE: Smackdown Vs Raw 2006

First of all, there is a whole bunch of new WWE legends to play as. There are also over 100 different match types. Some of these include: Bar Brawl, Buried Alive Casket Match, Backstage, Diva Brawls, and more.

The season mode had also been improved. Now there is no repetition of the story and you can play through 2 full seasons. These include better cut scenes that are viewed as though you were watching it on your very own couch!

The best improvement of this game is the graphics. For a PS2 game the character models are highly detailed and they had better facial expressions. The game had a new high resolution texture and integrated motion-capture technology,this made every move in the game look smoother and less choppy.

The controls were more flexible so that it is easier to execute your moves. This would help you to perfect your strategy and technique. The sound effects were as engaging as the previous editions. Lastly, there is an enhanced online mode available.

cosmic_slop 29 March, 2013 @ 10:51 pm   81

Everybody’s golf followed by everybody’s tennis. The best sports games of all time, bar none.

ChilliOne 29 March, 2013 @ 10:52 pm   82

For sheer involvement and for sucking hours away, has to be the Football Manager series on PC

Hard to choose just one, top ones would have to be:-

Gran Turismo 2 – PS1
Sensible World of Soccer – Amiga
NHL Ice Hockey games – Sega Megadrive
And for a real retro one…..Footballer of The Year back on 8 bit computers. Not exactly deep but really addictive.

mrfight67 29 March, 2013 @ 11:20 pm   83

Driven to Destruction on the PS2.

It wasn’t actually a sports game, but it had a race mode for car football. As a big fan of the car football from many Top Gear episodes, actually playing it in the game was brilliant and as close to the real thing ill probably ever get.

Another is the Harry Potter Quidditch World Cup game, again on PS2. That game got more play than FIFA with friends, and was just awesome. I just wish i could actually fly on a broom…

SumbodySumOne 29 March, 2013 @ 11:27 pm   84

This one is easy, NBA Jam of course, any of them, the original ones or even the new one that came out a while back…but the problem with this debate is not the question but the prize…since some of the worst and boring sports games in videogame form and real life are golf games, the only good golf game was Golf on NES, so yes I want to win a competition and get a free game…but not a golf game :P

RevanClaw 30 March, 2013 @ 12:59 am   85

Jonah Lomu rugby for the PS1!! Best game ever!

The gameplay was phenomenal and not only made rugby a great game against a computer, but had so many tactical choices. It was before the depth of other sports came along and dominated!

It had its place with the unlocks (Jonah Lomu team ftw!) as well as progressing through tournaments which kept myself and my brother entertained for hours. The passing system, side-steps and hand-offs allowed for a tactical battle between players!

The was the game flowed back and forth was incredible and I was so pleased it works on my 60Gb ps3!! I have the slim now so can’t play on that but the memories of one of the best games ever, not just sport, still lingers within me!!

Not only did the gameplay addict people for years, the commentary found its way into my rugby training at school!! I loved “digging like a demented mole” in a ruck and had so many great memories of that game!

The one thing was that my brother and I were not allowed to select any team which had Jonah Lomu, he could destroy whole teams (as he did in the 95 world cup)!

Quite simply an incredible game and I, and many others, would be so happy if this joy of sport was brought to the PSN as a download title!

Coody-Baroody 30 March, 2013 @ 1:01 am   86

I DONT BELIEVE IT! How on EARTH have you persuaded the disgusting, greedy parasites at EA to give you any codes for its game that they expect us in the UK to pay £60/70EUROs for????

Why do you allow them to charge us these prices Fred? We are being charged 50% more than the USA. They are charged $59.99 (which is the same as new disk retail games by the way) and now all EA do is swap the $ for a £ and we are expected to pay £59.99 now for ALL digital EA games.

Why is this? I know im wasting my time asking you this because we are NEVER replied to when we ask this question. If you ask me I think Sony are as much to blame as EA which is why you wont reply. It HAS to be YOUR decision to ALLOW them to charge us these prices and nobody is going to tell me that you don’t pocket at least some of that £59.99.

I would be so much more in favour of going digital exclusively but the way you are doing it now just makes that impossible.

litterature 30 March, 2013 @ 2:25 am   87

So real It’s unreal :D , for sure it’s MLB13 The Show , for me

discovered this game , and really it’s the best because it’s so realistic, so fun online and it’s so accessible for all with the Move controller,.
Home Run Derby is really a fun mode online with competive buddies

To be honest i never think Sony can make a real good sport game but but i’ve got wrong it’s MLB The Show , i’m impress with graphics too, my girlfriend say ” why you watch baseball on TV? ” and i say “no i play Baseball on PS3″… AWW :D

behdol1368 30 March, 2013 @ 2:45 am   88

i never forgive winning eleven 9 on ps1 which originally was Japanese

menu was like this 米軍普天間飛行場
so after one week i understood how to play :)) god blees konami to made english version

venneer 30 March, 2013 @ 4:09 am   89

I know this account is probably not eligible to win anything; still, I would like to give my two cents about this.

I loved Shift 2: Unleashed. It is no doubt the best racer I have ever played, for a myriad of reasons. First of all, no other game has made me feel quite as excited about racing as Shift 2. There are gamers that are too “arcadey” and everything is too loose and too easy (NFS in general). There are games that are too tight and end up not really being enjoyable at all (looking at you GT5). Shift 2 had it just right. I know a lot of people complained about the handling, but it always felt right to me.
I loved the aggressive AI. And the fact that I could mod cars and have my favorites with me through 80% of the game, instead of being pigeon-wholed into very constrained and limited categories.
Going fast felt fast, like, scary fast. As it should. Night races were terrifying unless you knew the course inside out. As much as I have memorized the Nurburgring in GT5, only Shift 2 made me feel like it was actually a challenging course. It will forever be one of my favorite games ever, not even very specific to racers and sports, but in general. A true definition of entertainment in gaming, as far as I’m concerned.

mehsssi 30 March, 2013 @ 5:21 am   90

For me, its my old favorite Pro Evolution Soccer 2007. Maybe no one will regard this game as BEST OF ALL TIME, but I do.
PES 2007 is very simple to one end and very technical at second – That’s it’s quality. There is not very much tricks you can do other than strafing or 360 degree turn. But the way you come to the opponents goal is really your skills. The Passing, Lob Pass, Cross Pass, 1-2 pass is just awesomely made. With that said, the shooting of this game is also very good, you hold button more than enough will throw ball out of grownd, you hold less will not get pass the keeper. And the way you strafe when someone comes on you, especially at wing position, really matters. You feel really rewarded when you score a goal in this game.
Many new games has all above features, but PES 2009 was best at that time. After getting Playstation 3 I didn’t gone through purchase other Soccer Games, because of already too many good games.

Mistalya 30 March, 2013 @ 6:27 am   91

This weekend debate is not very complicated but it is tricky tricky tricky tricky and its time to rock a rhyme, to rock a rhyme that’s right on time it’s tricky tr tr tr tricky tricky trrrrrrricky…SSX has to be the best sports game ever and admit it your singing the song now.

residentSteve 30 March, 2013 @ 7:27 am   92

Sports games are very dull to me give a shooting game any day.

dogwalker4000 30 March, 2013 @ 8:07 am   93

I was stuck between 3.

PES 5 for truely being the best and most addictive football game I have ever played. Everybody’s Golf for its accessibility, the fact that my 5 year old can enjoy it because of the alternative control scheme is awesome.

I decided against those 2 and went for my third choice, International Track & Field. The game is a classic and makes a raging competitive freak out of all of us. Had many a top time playing this game with family and friends, watching their faces gurn up like all their muscles were having a spasm attack at once being a highlight of said times. Would love a HD remake but its probably not a good idea because controller abuse is a very expensive past time these days.

BubblesPL 30 March, 2013 @ 8:28 am   94

Damn, that’s a hard question. There are 2 sports titles that were the best for me.
ISS Pro Evolution (2 also) – compared to newer football games, it wasn’t that realistic, but it was more fun than any other game I played. It had that “just one more game” thing going on. Master League was the best, acquiring new, better players and the satisfaction from beating stronger opponents with your team of Mirandas and Castellos. And it still is. I played it last year on my 10-year-old PS2 (yep, still works, gotta love this console), just to see how it compares to modern footie games. I turned it on, watched the intro and played close to 20 matches without a break, which is just not possible with modern title, where I can barely play 10 games with breaks. Damn, I think I know what I’m gonna do after finishing this post.

BubblesPL 30 March, 2013 @ 8:28 am   95

part 2 of my post

Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2 – a perfect skateboarding game, period. It had everything in the right place, lost of skaters to play with, great levels, music and the challenge (e.g. to get all the gaps). I remember I bought this game with a friend for the money from his class fund (cause he was holding all the cash) – of course we returned the money afterwards… I think… well, most of it certainly. I, he and our brothers would play this game for months, beating each other’s records and finding new spots for combos. The game got us to skateboeard IRL. It didn’t last long for me, I sucked really bad at it, just wasn’t cut out for it, but my friend and my brother leared a few tricks. Funny story, my brother was trying something new and decided to do a nosegrab (a vert trick) on street, which resulted in him breaking his arm. That’s not funny, but thanks to the money from the insurance we were able to buy our PS2 later that year. Otherwise we wouldn’t have been able to afford it, so you can say THPS2 bought us our PS2.

Opt1mus76 30 March, 2013 @ 8:40 am   96

There’s been so many its hard to choose one particular one. From Daley Thompson’s Decathlon with its manic button mashing or Sensible Soccer for its fast frenetic gameplay. Later it was Fifa on Megadrive and then ISS on Playstation. Everybody’s Golf also deserves mention as it is the first golf game that I throroughly enjoyed. As much as I love Sensible Soccer and its successor Sensible World of Soccer (blending Sensible Soccer with a management sim) I’m left with the niggling feeling that I should really say Kick Off. Kick Off arrived several years before Sensi and at the time it was the pinnacle of digital football. After the years of Matchday and Microprose Soccer, Kick Off brought speed and playability to the genre like never before. I played for hours upon hours, often popping round friends to play mini tournaments. And then Kick Off 2 arrived and pushed the game further increasing the addictive playability of the original. After that they released Final Whistle add on that added overhead kicks which were hard to pull off but so satisfying when scored. Sadly Kick Off 3 ditched the overhead view but by then Sensi had arrived and that filled the gap

WaylanderFWG 30 March, 2013 @ 9:18 am   97

Would mainly be football games for me. Micropose Soccer started it all followed by the first Fifa game Fifa International Soccer. Also a mention for Ultimate Soccer on the Megadrive which chewed up a lot of time.

Really enjoyed the first Smackdown game on PS1 and Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 on PS2

My vote would be for Micropose Soccer though, pure class at the time

katamariEU 30 March, 2013 @ 9:28 am   98

The original SSX on the Playstation 2. Normally I wouldn’t play snowboarding games, but the improbable huge jumps and tricks were nothing like any other snowboarding game before it. You could almost feel the rush of the wind when the characters dropped from the ramps! I spent endless days trying to beat my friends’ times on all the tracks. I would love to see an HD version of this and SSX Tricky!

neutronbomb 30 March, 2013 @ 9:33 am   99

Hands down fifa 96 for psone. Used to play it with my older brother for hours on end and I won every game. It was possible to do this insane banana kick from almost the halfway line. It was unstoppable and I used it everytime I was behind. Drove him barmy.
On a footnote; my worst was nba jam. He always beat me at that by a single point each time, or thats how it seemed anyway.

Liggo61 30 March, 2013 @ 10:00 am   100

I have played many sporting games and my favourite is Top Spin 3, as a big tennis fan this as got to as close to the real thing as you can get. Looking forward to Top Spin 4. Just bought Fifa 13, not really a footie game fan but this is a good game but could be improved.

mostoaus 30 March, 2013 @ 10:35 am   101

Jonah Lomu Rugby. 1999, PS1. No contest.

Can’t believe it hasn’t been released on PSN as a PS1 classic. If they did I’d pay $50 for it

Ben25BBB 30 March, 2013 @ 10:39 am   102

For me it would have to be between SSX, Tony Hawk and Skate. (If they even count!) Not that big of a fan of many other sports games really..

PorcusHawk 30 March, 2013 @ 10:51 am   103

It would have to be between ESPN NFL 2k5 and MLB 13: The Show (yes, I love my US sports ;)).

It’s a sad fact that the NFL/EA exclusivity has ruined American Football for gamers, hopefully the deal won’t be renewed later this year as it has given EA a license to become lazy. ESPN NFL 2k5 is still the pinnacle of girdiron games and feels as close a representation of the sport as we’re every likely to get. From the presentation to the absolutely stellar gameplay (trench interaction without suction blocking) it’s shocking to think that EA still haven’t been able to come close to this masterpiece.

As for MLB The Show, this is my first year with the game (I only picked up the PS3 last June) and I have been absolutely blown away by this game.

Presentation is top notch, you get the feel for the strategic battle between pitcher and batter (not something many baseball games ever get right) and the wealth of game-modes is outstanding. It’s not often that I WANT to play every game through the 162 game season but with this game it is an absolute pleasure. I’ve played the game every day since receiving it and I don’t see me dropping it anytime soon. Definitely among the best sports games ever.

MartinB105 30 March, 2013 @ 11:02 am   104

As someone who usually has no interest whatsoever in sports games, it has to be Wii Sports, given that it is the ONLY sports game that ever interested me due to the novelty of motion controls. I played it for weeks.

VirusPT 30 March, 2013 @ 11:47 am   105

Fifa 98: Road To The World Cup. Great football game, lots of Leagues, World Cup Qualifiers and World Cup finals, and the best thing that EA Sports never brought back: Indoor Soccer. Indoor Soccer was an absolute beast and so much fun to play

bloobat 30 March, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   106

It’s got to be SSX tricky, the amount of hours spent on that game finding all the different paths down the tracks, smashing all the glass signs and playing with friends in split-screen will never be forgotten. The reboot last year was a great game just not quite on par with tricky!

adumr82 30 March, 2013 @ 12:22 pm   107

For me nothing has come close to sensible world of soccer. The perfect blend of playable football game with a good mix of management included. A lot of sports games have become too complicated now. I can’t just get my dad to pick up Fifa with me because there is too much involved in it now.

Coy_Iroquois 30 March, 2013 @ 12:32 pm   108

Well my all time favourite sports title is actually a Tiger Woods game. It was Tiger Woods 2005 on ps2, which I managed to convince my older brother to treat me to on release day. I loved it from the start, and remember being utterly dismayed at the product recall, having to trade it in for store credit (eventually used on Tony Hawks Underground 2). However, as soon as it was re-released, I was back in the shop and picking it up once again.

The reason I loved this game so much, was the deep amount of time EA had put into all the various modes and challenges. I was determined to fill out that awesome trophy room, winning every single title on the tour, maximizing my players stats (and enjoying the awesome level of customisation), earning all the trophy balls through some ridiculous challenges, and my personal favourite; the real time event medals! I spent countless hours changing the internal calendar of the Ps2 so I could work through each RTE medal in some really interesting events.

There was so many hours of challenging fun, and I definitely haven’t put that amount of time into any other game that isn’t online multiplayer.

Kogaboy 30 March, 2013 @ 12:34 pm   109

Sensible Soccer on the Amiga got me through some night shifts! Simple and so playable, great laugh.

bradigor1981 30 March, 2013 @ 12:43 pm   110

For me it has to be NHL 94 on the Sega Mega Drive.

Not only was it a game that transcended both the sport and gaming (featured in a few movies of the era too) it was just a joy to play.

It was the game that cemented my love of a sport from thousands of miles from its homeland. It found me my team (Detroit Red Wings) and also my favourite all time player (Stever Yzerman). Whilst every one else was hooked on FIFA International Soccer, I and a couple of others sunk hundreds of hours into NHL 94.

It was so simple to play, yet at the time it felt like the most realistic recreation of the sport ever. We are coming up to 20 years of NHL gaming and still I dig out my Mega Drive to play my original cart. Some of the famous names that are still on there bring back wonderful memories. How much does it mean? Even today you can choose to use NHL 94 controls on NHL 13.

The games improved on features, physics, realism over the years, but none have ever been as fun as that game.

An extra shout out to NHLPA 93 which I got as part of a double header pack, it was the first hockey game I ever played, but ’94 took it to a new level.

RossyWilson 30 March, 2013 @ 12:58 pm   111

This is an easy one for me, QWOP.

I can see why there is not a lot of big video games that only revolve around completeing a 100m ‘sprint’ but this game is an absolute gem. Honestly if you have not played this game go and google it straight away. I dont think I have put more hours into a game with just one level and only four keys to worry about. I used to spend hours when i was at school trying to top my mates high scores and i dont think I will ever forget how happy I was when i finally got to 100m before everyone else in my class.

If you have not yet played this free browser game i urge you all to play it now and im sure you will have an enjoyable but very frustrating time. When you start faceplanting a couple of metres in you will know this game is not going to be easy and will require lots of training, hard work and dedication to bring the gold back for your country and really is that not what sports games should be about.

vonhammer 30 March, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   112

One i’d put in my favorite moments of gaming would have been Geoff Crammond’s Grand Prix 3.

It was the opening race of the season. Friday practice was close but I struggled during qualifying and was around 8th place. I was still confident because I was quick with fuel and had managed the weekends tires well.

So far all the weather forecasts for the weekend were dry and hot. and the race was predicted to be dry. I decided I’d run longer in the first stint and save my tires until then.

Race starts and all goes well, think I gained a few places by lap 2 and then settled into my strategy. About 8-10 laps in I noticed darker clouds beginning to roll in.
Over the next 2-3 laps what was once bright blue sky’s, quickly became a dark and worrying prospect for me. My first stint relied on running long, and rain would ruin it.

Another couple of laps and the cloud is just hanging there, the odd crack of thunder echos over Melbourne. I remember starting to prey and thinking “hold off for seven laps, please hold off”.
At the same time I notice the other drivers starting to pit and the strategy was looking sound.

vonhammer 30 March, 2013 @ 2:28 pm   113

I had a few laps left and the rain started down the pit straight and the first sector. the rest of the track was dry. I really pushed hard then knowing this was my chance to do a stop while others would need to go back in and change tires.
Two laps left and it just opened up. I went in a lap early onto wets and I was away :)

Had a good chunk of time over 2nd place after it was all said and done :)

Last 15-20 laps, I was still leading. I had starting coasting a bit and the weather was sunny again. There were still damp patches off line but knew I was safe.

Now this why I remember this race. 8 laps left and I’d just exited Waite and all off a sudden my engine cuts out. Bloody electrics had failed and I was rolling down the straight with probably the biggest grin on my face ever.

I knew this was one of the greatest races I’d ever have in a game. And while I was gutted, I wouldn’t change the outcome if I could run it again.

Catkiller1 30 March, 2013 @ 2:38 pm   114

Mine would have to be Wild Cup Soccer that was released years ago on the Amiga.

A brutal spin on the football genre where you could decapitate other players dubbed ‘headers’. You would earn cash to purchase weapons and armour etc and earn enough to unlock a mortar gun!! You could choose different types of animals for your squad and use the same formations that you would expect within a normal football game.

Me and one of my close friends used to play it constantly on a Sunday, after our Pool competition for our local Social Club.

Great memories indeed :)

DjRalford 30 March, 2013 @ 3:45 pm   115

Athlete Kings on the Sega Saturn,

Me and my sister use to spend hours upon hours playing just to laugh at the way the guys Afro flopped about when he ran, we use to have competitions based on the outcome of the rounds with the loser having to do all the household chores, luckily I always won.

I still have the burns on my fingers from rubbing the run buttons on the controller.

That being said I can remember as a kid playing PGA Golf on the C64 with my dad and neighbours in the back garden, we use to set the TV and C64 up on our side of the low back fence so we could sit in our own gardens playing in the summer evenings. Still a good series today when it comes to realism, can’t beat athlete kings for the laughs though.

Chipworm 30 March, 2013 @ 4:32 pm   116

No love for NBA Jam back on the SNES?

I used to play that game for hours with my friends. We’d fight over the Chicago Bulls, so even starting a match was quite competitive. The skills shots were always fun and I recall the commentator shouting “He’s on Fire!” when you started doing really well.

Good memories. I really should try the latest edition on PSN and see how it holds up.

ZACHSP8 30 March, 2013 @ 4:37 pm   117

Did they post who was the winners from last week for the five free PS+ subs?

ZACHSP8 30 March, 2013 @ 4:38 pm   118

Sensible World Of Soccer on the Amiga 500

ZACHSP8 30 March, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   119

I just remembered Speedball 2 on the Amiga 500

extermin8or_ 30 March, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   120

Rayman:Rush- now I know what you are thinking “that’s not a sports game” but it so was- the aim was to race another rayman character through an assualt course to the finish and finish 1st. I had sooo much fun playing this games singleplayer and playing against friends via splitscreen. The game took the best bits f Rayman and added it to a for of racing game. :) I was great :D

Leewom69 30 March, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   121

The only sports series I have ever fallen in love with was the early Tony Hawks series, Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1-3 were absolutley fantastic.

I think it was a culmination of both the music and the extreme tricks side of the sport that really reeled me in.

I spent hours mastering it both a lone and with friends sat on a couch constantly ‘horsing’ around with the volume nice and loud, gritting my teeth as some one had obviously been ‘practicing’ a lot more than I had.

The level design was consistently creative and intuitive but more than anything, its pick up and play 2 minutes on the clock just gave an adrenaline rush, that att teh time I probably would have felt had I been a skater and trying to do it for real.

Alone or with friends Tony Hawks was always ‘ollie’ good fun! ;)

THE_FORCE 30 March, 2013 @ 5:48 pm   122

HYPER SPORTS!

no hang on….

EPYX WINTER GAMES!

no wait, wait…..

EVERYBODY’S GOLF!

ermrrm

AmorousBadger1 30 March, 2013 @ 5:56 pm   123

Anyone not answering this question with ‘Speedball 2′ is an idiot.

Malteser 30 March, 2013 @ 9:27 pm   124

For me it would have to be either Pro Evolution Soccer, without Pro (Winning Eleven as mine was imported back then) FIFA wouldn’t be what it is today. Countless hours lost and battled trying to acquire the greatest team, perfect for life before multiplayer online and a great game to play with mates after the pubs! Nowadays FIFA has the advantage and the market and deservedly so; you simply cannot forget the origins in gaming and Pro had it all at one time – pity Konami didn’t invest more and stamp their authority down more firmly back then.

I’d love to see a PS3 version of Wave Race for the N64, another stomping racer not yet matched on our beloved PS3 system!

I’m going for Everybody’s Tennis!

It’s such a stereotypical quirky Japanese game, mixing in a cool tennis playing system with an RPG style story wrapped in.

It may not be an out and out sports title, but it’s kept me entertained for hours on end!

HighflyerVII 31 March, 2013 @ 12:34 am   126

I have to admit that one of the funniest sports games I’ve ever played was International Superstar Soccer Pro for the PS1. The gameplay was fairly solid – pretty much the base of what became the Pro Evolution series. It obviously hasn’t aged very well graphically either.

But, the absolute best part of this game was the commentary – some of the best and most amusing lines I’ve ever heard during football commentary: “That boy’s got a steel skull” and the classic “Only a miracle can save…BRAZIL…from a beating at the hands of..WALES”.

Adding onto this the fact that “Nigeria” was obviously spoken by another person and the commentator would should out “Turkey” with unnatural glee makes ISS Pro *my* best sports game of all time

Geocolumbo 31 March, 2013 @ 10:03 am   127

not sure but it surely has to be one of the Pro Evolution Soccer games on PS2, they were the best most gripping ever to have played

dividsmythe 31 March, 2013 @ 10:28 am   128

PES 5 or 6 hold some of my greatest gaming memories. The golden age of sports gaming. I used to play it for a few hours at home after work on Ps2. Then go round a friends and play online round a friend’s house. On weekends we used to stop up to the very early hours just playing random people. It was great!

TINTINTB303 31 March, 2013 @ 12:33 pm   129

Hmm, “The BEST sports game of all time?”… Tricky one I thought to myself. From that one word [tricky] it lead me one to the happysack level in California Games.

Sooo my entry would have to be California games because it had a game/event for everyone (although we all know that everyone hammered the BMX game more than any other ;-)). Skateboarding (halfpipe), surfing, rollerskating, frisbee, god this game had something for everyone. Adults loved it, kids loved it and it took loads of skill to get really good at the games (some more than others).

So yeah, ‘California Games’. My (and no doubt many others) best sports game of all time! :-D

tiago-kun 31 March, 2013 @ 1:11 pm   130

Not being a great fan of sports games, I haven’t much to talk about.
To me it’s probably Anna’s Kournikova Smash Court Tennis for the Playstation. It was awesome.
Very arcade and fun, and you unlocked characters like Yoshimitsu :D
In a time where Tekken 3 was all the rage, having Tekken characters on a tennis game was silly and fun :D
It also had a mode where you chose a few characters and then the match will play with normal rules, except the ball had a timer and when it exploded, the character closest to it would die, and the next one would show up, so many hours I played that mode with friends…
Unless you count Crash Team Racing, then that’s way more fun.

PS: Don’t count my entry for the prize.

LoftyMatt 31 March, 2013 @ 6:59 pm   131

Mine could be seen as controversial as its a non playstation game but it does have a major effect on the ps3 and links nicely to this weeks prize.

Im picking wii sports.

For its time it shook the world of computer games and the way they were played. Games were controlled using buttons or sticks attached to the controller. Wii sports was the first and original game that introduced motion control gaming. Due to this, other consoles have created their own versions. Playstation have their (move) motion controller which has now seen its way onto several different types of games from shooters, to platformers such as lbp to sports games such as tiger woods golf.

Without the invention of the wii and wii sports we might not have been able to swing a controller to make our on screen character replicate our movements and smash that ball 300+ yards down the fairway. Yes motion control gaming isnt for everyone but to be able to replicate real life by using a controller like a club or bat is at present the closest your going to get without physically taking up the sport.

I own both consoles but I play ps3 any day of the week but for more and more sports games the wii and wii sports have played their part in features of the games.

DiscworldDeath 31 March, 2013 @ 11:02 pm   132

Unreal Tournament 2003.

Looking at their posts at the time, and the naming convention even, they intended the game to be released yearly, as a sports game. Also, this was when FPS games really made it big as an eSport, after Quake 4, and CS, etc.

It was just so well done, and fun, with a good mix of open arenas, lush environments, and vehicles, rather than the mostly claustrophobic and dreary maps and games we were used to until then.

futsio 1 April, 2013 @ 6:22 am   133

As a teenager, I remember coming downstairs from my bedroom and trying to convince my disgusted looking family to the reason why:-
1) Why I looked all hot and bothered
2) Why there had been strange knocking noises, which got more rapid towards the end?
3) why was I nursing my right hand?
4) why was I grunting? especially towards the end, when it culminated in a rather loud shout of satisfaction?

The answer was obvious. I had really just been wanging the hell out of my joystick, trying to beat Daley Thompsons decathlon on the msx!
The 1500 metres was especially memorable, as it seemed to go on forever, and it finished with a sprint

VReanimator 1 April, 2013 @ 10:43 am   134

Pro Evolution Soccer 3 – Revolutionised football games, and set the president for Fifa is today.

The original Brian Lara cricket, was the first cricket game that caught (see what I did there) the heart of any a cricket fan out there.

Breadd_93 1 April, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   135

I’m definitely not saying that it was the most complex or beautiful sports game in history, but Red Card on PS2 certainly had an entertainment factor. Simply being able to play the beautiful game whilst doing no less than annihilating your opposition just gave you a sense of jurisdiction upon the, sometimes un-level, playing field. I cannot tell of the hours me and my brother poured in to that game raging at each other about nonsensical decisions. Unlike the Fifa’s and Pro Evo’s of the day, this game allowed us to unleash our anger upon each others players with more lethal consequences, and all within the safety of this video game! I think that if there were to be a successor to this game then it should definitely include a system similar to Sniper Elite V2′s “KillCam” where you can literally take off body parts and see the effects of your brutality in bloody glory!

Fifa 2003-04 and Fifa 13 are definitely up in my top 5 though!

ash4324 1 April, 2013 @ 2:17 pm   136

Daley Thompson on the Spectrum, my winner would be Sensible World of Soccer on the Amiga, but for current gen (if early on) Everybody’s Golf World tour.

FullAutoNoob 1 April, 2013 @ 6:12 pm   137

Hi,
Hopefully im not to late! I want to start with my favorite sports game of all time this being Mario Golf! and boy oh boy did they do a good job! the mechanics are amazing yet so simple, the graphics look as good as ever even for the gamecube. The sheer amount of course variation is unbelievable from deserts to holes with chain chomps and Larva! it makes for a frustrating yet enthralling experience which i will hold with me forever. However i feel it lacks customization…

But this is where my other Favorite game comes in its element this being ‘Sega soccer Slam’ a three on three no rules game of footbal… punches, headbuts and spot light kicks were some of the most groundbreaking football games i have found! you can but ‘knuckle duster’ to increase melee damage now you tell me that not good! haha and they are tailored to each character perfectly e.g some would prefer a lucky necklace etc.

All in all games are only good if they leave a lasting memory for the user, witch these to have done!
Jordan C

CoolRichy008UK 1 April, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   138

hey everyone rearage Terarded’s name and that says what he really is lmao

Dermado 1 April, 2013 @ 7:34 pm   139

Whilst I would take Terarded’s point a step further and say I have no idea why anyone would want to WATCH someone play a sport video game the answer has to be Sonic Adventure Battle 2 “thats not a sport game” , it has Chao Racing and Chao Karate, you could easily spend X0 hours just breading to make them good enough to not be OHKOd by the champs, anything trying too hard to be realistic is pointless, and glorified DLC up there with generic FPS’s.

Ritchy, I have a fun new game for you to play, its called playing in traffic, tie a plastic bag over your head and set yourself on fire to add to the excitement :X (basically you are a troll and should be banned from the forum for the constant nonsense you post in every thread every week -.-. Minirant over, I wouldnt win with a non-Sony game and for constantly calling out SCEE’s mediocrity anyway x_X.)

maverick2056 1 April, 2013 @ 10:18 pm   140

I actually can’t believe no one has mentioned this and whether or not I will alienate myself from the PS community for even mentioning this, but surely in terms of an impact made by a sports game it has to be

WII Sports

the game not only launched a console but was almost exclusively responsible but two separate peripherals on two separate consoles, as well as being the most fun group experience you can get on a console all be it for only 10-20 mins but surely that is the point of a good sports game.

NotUrGurrl 2 April, 2013 @ 2:47 am   141

★★★★★
SWEET! I just got a free Playstation Network card code at http://linkbitty.com/FreePSNForever
★★★★★

reverandjames 2 April, 2013 @ 8:30 am   142

NBA Jam was my favourite sports game growing up. What I really liked about the game was that it was just fun over the top arcade action, with no reliance on realism. You could pull off ridiculous dunks, set the ball on fire and even smash the back board, and the commentator was specifically a highlight, even in the 16 bit days. BOOMSHAKALAKA!

novurdim 2 April, 2013 @ 12:51 pm   143

Remembering Karateka brings a tear to my eye. Calling it a sports game is a bit of a stretch (well, yeah, enormous stretch actually, I know), but as I was a yellow belt myself, it’s kinda sad that there’s no full-fledged karate simulators out there.
Pioneering animation techniques and technology really impressed me back in the day and gameplay was seriously addictive. And the vivid memory lives on, easily outshining most sport titles I played later on. So I’ll take this chance to announce Karateka my most memorable sportlike-gaming experience.

ShinYagami13 2 April, 2013 @ 8:32 pm   144

nice going there guys
4 Brits & 1 Australian
hmmm discriminating much?! (again!)

Fred Dutton 3 April, 2013 @ 8:59 am

There really is no discriminatino going on here, promise. My judge is completely impartial. Brits make up a significant majority of the English-language Blog so it’s no surprise that many win, but we’ve had plenty of weeks with no UK winners at all.

Dermado 3 April, 2013 @ 12:37 am   145

Shin. It should be who gives genuinely the most interesting response, not who gives it first, and certainly not for comments they have made on other parts of the blog, sadly this is just how it is.
So no, they arent being racist, singling countries out and saying one person has to win from each country. Would you complain if one was French, another Italian, one Irish and one Polish but none German? no, thats ridiculous. Realistically only American’s should be called out if they win.

bigmat319 3 April, 2013 @ 3:38 am   146

Hi Fred,what do you mean by “Your codes will be sent as a PM via your account on the official forums”? Thx for the code :)

ShinYagami13 3 April, 2013 @ 3:03 pm   147

@Dermado
i know its all about the most interesting or amusing response but thats subjective to who is reading the answers so no argument there
what i dont understand is what u mean by “certainly not for comments they have made on other parts of the blog”
i have only made one more comment like this one when i saw that like half the world could take part in the “way of play” competition but not us Greeks so i dont think that suggests i m a troll or something
and to answer your question no i wouldnt complain if there was a French, another Italian, one Irish and one Polish but none German
i didnt complain cause there were no Greeks there man but cause there were 4 British and 1 Australian (same thing lol)
HUGE difference
@Fred thank you for your time really
didnt get an answer when i said u guys were discriminating when i saw we couldnt participate in the “way of play” competition so i appreciate it i got one now :)