Posted 3:00pm

New Invizimals games coming soon to PS Vita and PS3

PS3 Screenshot 1

Hi everyone! I’m Mitsuo Hirakawa and I work as a Producer at Sony Europe’s XDev Studios on our newly announced games Invizimals: The Alliance (PS Vita) and Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom (PS3). We are super-excited to announce these brand new titles because we have been working in secrecy for some time and now finally we can tell the whole world what we’ve been up to! Eagle-eyed gamers may have recognised the Invizimals from the previous games released on PSP.

We have two great dev teams working on these games. First, we have the multi-award-winning studio Novarama Technology from Barcelona, Spain. World pioneers in the use of Augmented Reality for games, and developers of the original Invizimals Trilogy on PSP, they have been secretly working on Invizimals: The Alliance for PS Vita. It’s an all-new augmented reality adventure where hunters worldwide will, for the first time, unleash the power of PS Vita and use it to hunt, battle and collect like never before.

For Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom on PS3, we have drafted in a BAFTA-winning team, Magenta Software from Liverpool, UK, who are known for high quality family games. At XDev we are really excited about the action adventure single player gameplay experience Magenta has developed exclusively for PS3.

What’s more, Magenta and Novarama have been working together on a completely unique multiplayer experience. For the first time, players of Invizimals: The Alliance will be able to link up with players of Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom on PS3 through cross-platform play, staging frantic four-player battles or sending and receiving bonus game items through co-op play. I hope you’ll agree that this is exciting news!

It is truly two games exploring both sides of the magical Invizimals universe! To give you a sneak preview of what we are working on, take a look at this teaser trailer:

Here to tell you more about Invizimals: The Alliance is Dani Sanchez-Crespo, Creative Director/CEO at Novarama Technology.

Working side by side with the hardware teams, we have made sure the PS Vita is the perfect Invizimal hunting machine. Every function of the PS Vita, from the screen to the touch pads, has been tried and tested, to ensure hunters worldwide only get the best of the best.

Let’s start with the capture, which uses many new Augmented Reality technologies only available through the power of PS Vita. Do you want to track Invizimals around your house? YES! Find giant creatures lurking on buildings around your city? YES! Use touch, sound and orientation to lure that creature into your hands? YES! Invizimals: The Alliance has 20 all-new capture mechanics, where your hunting skills will truly be put to test.

We’ve also introduced a brand new battle system where you can battle with up to four creatures. You can battle solo, with other friends on PS Vita, or even use Cross-Play to fight your friends on PS3 in epic battle arenas. Free movement, team attacks, unlockable techniques… it’s Invizimals, but it’s a completely new experience.

And finally, there’s the new story. We can’t go into much detail now, but suffice to say all our heroes are back, on a quest to save the Invizimals from a new, larger than ever menace. They need the full Alliance of Invizimals Hunters to stop this new threat. And you know what that means, right? It means YOU.

We look forward to sharing more details with you soon. Back to you, Mitsu!

Vita Screenshot 2Vita Screenshot 4

Whilst the Invizimals: The Alliance (PS Vita) puts the onus on you to hunt and collect the Invizimals in your own world, Invizimals: The Lost Kingdom (PS3), takes you from your living room, straight to the mythical world of the Invizimals.

For the first time, you can now immerse yourself in the Invizimals world, and experience the game playing as Invizimals. Yes, you heard that right! Here’s your chance to transform into an Invizimal and harness the special powers and save the Lost Kingdom from falling into the wrong hand. You will need to master all the special skills to solve puzzles and defeat your enemies so be prepared for the roller coaster ride of your life!

PS3 Screenshot 2

We’ve also added support for Cross-Play, so you can now enjoy playing Invizimals with your friends in a frenzied four-player multiplayer mode!

We’re really excited to be working on these games and can’t wait for them to be released later this year. Until then, keep checking back here on PlayStation Blog for further updates. In the meantime, if you would like to post comments or ask questions to either myself or Dani, we’ll be standing by, so post away!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 18 Author replies
Show oldest first

blade1003605 9 April, 2013 @ 3:19 pm   1

Looks interesting.

How about Cross-Buy?

Great news….there was a discussion on the OPC Forums that Invizimals would be a ideal game on the PSVIta as it could use the camera, touchscreens, sixaxis and gyro, plus it will be fun for younger gamers….aswell as us older ones.

oluka007 9 April, 2013 @ 3:22 pm   3

Will you be relying on the PS Vita marker cards or will be using the Smart AR markerless technology for this game?

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 9 April, 2013 @ 3:30 pm

Hey oluka007!

We will be using all the AR technologies we have developed both at Novarama and at Sony. So yes to both questions. And many more tricks which I hope we show in the next months.

Samabyte 9 April, 2013 @ 3:23 pm   4

I’m a big fan of bright more family type games, so this looks pretty good, especially the PS3 version. Would you say the game is more action or puzzle focused? And is it the same kind of style as skylanders?

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 9 April, 2013 @ 3:31 pm

We’re all huge fans of games like Jak and Daxter and Ratchet, so you do your own guess Samabyte! We just felt the Invizimals world was too cool not to do an adventure focusing on that side of the universe.

Mitsuo Hirakawa 9 April, 2013 @ 3:38 pm

Hi Samabyte! If you enjoy Ratchet or Jak & Daxter, you’ll definitely enjoy Invizimals on PS3:) I’m really excited working with what the talented team at Magenta Software has planned so stay tuned!

ps_maxout 9 April, 2013 @ 3:24 pm   5

i never played it on PSP since i had the PSPgo and no camera, so it will be nice to try it out

adaggerthrough 9 April, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   6

@1 – They’re different games. Different games do not support cross-buy. Maybe they could release a double pack bundle for a reduced overall price.

Been waiting for an Invizimals announcement for ages! Looks cool. Please tell me Brian Blessed will be returning. ;)

bradigor1981 9 April, 2013 @ 3:32 pm   7

Wonderful news, loved the PSP games personally as did my son. Looking forward to playing and hopefully reviewing for Gamestyle.

mh637099 9 April, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   8

1. Will the PS3 version be available for download?

2. Will there be a beta?

3. Do you need PS Move and PS Eye for the PS3 version?

4. I’m not sure if this is the correct place to post this but is EyePet coming to PS Vita?

Mitsuo Hirakawa 9 April, 2013 @ 4:20 pm

Hi mh637099!

1 – If you mean download from PS Store then yes.
    2 – We still don’t know yet, but will ask our Marketing boss nicely
    3 – No, you won’t need any additional peripheral to play the PS3 game
    4 – We’re not on the EyePet team so we don’t know but a fair question that!

We’ll keep you updated on any future plans so stay tuned!

ratchetjak12 9 April, 2013 @ 3:48 pm   9

I’ve been looking to try the Invizimals Series. Just a quick question the PS3 game you’ve announced here “The Lost Kingdom” does this game require AR cards like the PS Vita game or is it a normal single player adventure that you can play with a normal dual shock controller.
hope you can reply, the PS3 game is of interest, because I like the odd occasional family friendly title. I’m also a fan of Ratchet and Clank and Jak and Daxter if it helps lol!

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 9 April, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

I think you will love the PS3 adventure, which does not require additional cards. Imagine your classic platformer as Jak, Ratchet, you name it. Add many playable characters (the Invizimals!) each with unique skills. Set it in a lush, wonderful world very rooted in all the Invizimals lore. And you get the idea. It’s going to be great!

vigilante_man 9 April, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   10

Looks great fun.

Never played it before but at last a PS Vita game with a PS3 spin off rather than the other way around. Glad to hear you guys will be making use of all the features of the Vita.

I’ll look out for this one. I especially like the fact you can game outside without relying on 3G (wifi version for me). Just what the Vita needs – fun games that you can take anywhere.

Mitsuo Hirakawa 9 April, 2013 @ 4:15 pm

Hi Vigilante_man!
    I think the Vita version offers so much in terms of playing the game anywhere you want and turning your real world into the game world. AR really helps create that bit of magic so we hope players will be playing games in unique surroundings:)

Moosichu 9 April, 2013 @ 4:36 pm   11

Will we be able transfer Invisimals between the PS3 and Vita versions? Will there be some Invisimals which are exclusive to each version but can be acquired by transferring. Will we be able to sync the two games using the cloud?

I hope this game is successful! Looking forward to it. :)

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 9 April, 2013 @ 4:45 pm

Moosichu (love that name BTW)

Some invizimals can only be found in The Alliance or The Lost Kingdom. Of course you can use them in battle against players of the other game. So maybe you found a really tough creature, and can then face your friends and they go “where did you get that one from?”. In the same line, you will be able to send Invizimals back and forth.

All thanks to the lovely magic of Crossplay. Learn the word… it allows us to do some really cool tricks!

ratchetjak12 9 April, 2013 @ 4:41 pm   12

@ Mitsuo Hirakawa and Dani Sanchez-Crespo
The PS3 game sound great, thanks for the kind and informative responses . glad that No AR or PS Eye is required for the PS3 game.
Hope to see more on it soon, gameplay etc.

dark_angel69 9 April, 2013 @ 4:46 pm   13

This is the first time I ever heard of this. Looks very interesting and fun.

I’m a very big Ratchet and Clank fan so will surely like this too. :P A demo of course would be appreciated. Would need to see some videos of the multiplayer as I found Ratchet and Clank Q-Force to be quite disappointing so hope it’s nothing like that.

Is there a big difference between the Vita game and the PS3?

Mitsuo Hirakawa 9 April, 2013 @ 9:44 pm

Hi dark_angel69!

>Seeing they are both different games, do we need to play both to understand the story better or do they both have a story of their own?

I’m sworn to secrecy on this one (for now:))but I can assure you that you will have a better experience if you play both games!

>Is there a big difference between the Vita game and the PS3?

Visually, the Vita would be in AR (use your REAL world as the game world), whereas the PS3 game will be in the fantastical world of the Invizimals (rendered in 3D). Obviously, each platform has its own unique control mechanics (esp Vita) so they are going to feel very different…but they also have a lot in common and you’d be surprised how different & similar it feels at the same time!!!

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 10 April, 2013 @ 11:58 am

Dark_angel69:

Imagine two stories which actually are two sides of a big, larger conflict. That’s how we like ot see it. On VITA, you’ll face an invasion of Invizimals into our world, and you’ll need to discover what is going on to defend them. On PS3, you’ll need to go to their world, to track down the source of evil. One story, two games, each playable separately, but amazing if you play them together!

Witcher70 9 April, 2013 @ 4:52 pm   14

Mmmm I am very interested in the PS3 version, since i am not a big AR fan, the invizamals series will look fantastic on the big screen, Is the Lost Kingdoms a one off or will there be a continuance ? also is a PS4 version in the planning ? Be a nice boost to sales if there was, as a number of gamers won’t be buying many games towards the end of the year, as PS4 release draws closer.

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 9 April, 2013 @ 4:58 pm

Whenever we do something it’s always as part of a “master plan” so no, we’re not thinking PS3 is a one-off. And given the massive installed base of PS3, we felt it was the perfect moment to do this. Besides, the invizimals universe is so rich, it really is the perfect fit for a large screen as you say.

Witcher70 9 April, 2013 @ 5:01 pm   15

:-D

mitch_uk_psn 9 April, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   16

Will Doctor Dawson be back?

Hoznary 9 April, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   17

Will you be able to play that adventure version of Invizimals? Or just the AR version on the vita because it looked interesting as heck ^_^

Mitsuo Hirakawa 9 April, 2013 @ 9:50 pm

Hi Hoznary!
    It’ll be in AR for the VITA and in 3D on the PS3. We will be supporting Cross-Play so I’m sure you won’t be disappointed! Please stay tuned for further updates!

ZombieScientist 9 April, 2013 @ 6:19 pm   18

How about TigerShark for PS All-Stars to promote this game?

Mitsuo Hirakawa 9 April, 2013 @ 9:46 pm

~~

I wonder if the Max’d out TigerShark will simply be too awesome for All-Stars, we’ll probably need a new platform just for this, PS5 anyone?:)

Elvick_ 9 April, 2013 @ 7:14 pm   19

Since SCEA hasn’t posted about it on the PS Blog yet, and might not for awhile.

I just wanted to come say, YES. I’m so excited. Ever since the Vita was announced, I’ve wanted Invizimals on it. And now I can be happy~

Elvick_ 9 April, 2013 @ 7:15 pm   20

Oh, and the PS3 game looks awesome as well. I like that Invizimals is expanding. Love the LBP Invizimal costumes! Some of my faves.

Oh why can’t you release the other one on psvita aswell :(.

Dani Sanchez-Crespo 10 April, 2013 @ 11:54 am

Don’t worry kivi95… there’s going to be truckloads of Invizimal fun all over the Playstation family! ;-)

Chaosprower 9 April, 2013 @ 10:34 pm   22

The PS3 one looks much better than the Vita one…Why can’t you release The Lost Kingdom on the Vita too?… We Vita users have to stick with another AR game… :(

Biggz124 9 April, 2013 @ 10:58 pm   23

So when does it come out?

Mitsuo Hirakawa 10 April, 2013 @ 11:55 am

Hi Biggz124!
    We hope to announce the launch date soon so stay tuned:)

dark_angel69 9 April, 2013 @ 11:43 pm   24

@Mitsuo
Thanks for your reply. I understand you can’t answer the 1st question but perhaps someday later on I hope you can. Reason I asked is cos I don’t own a Vita (yet I think, lol) but don’t want to end up feeling left out or confused if it makes the difference to the story. Will keep an eye out on future post and news to follow this. :D

Is AR the same thing as what the 3DS does? I remember a friend showing a game where you move the 3DS around the room and can burst bubbles. Also showed me a Pokemon game (I think it was) when you place a card down, the Pokemon pops up on screen in 3D. Is this the kind of thing this game is doing? I had no idea the Vita even does something like that. lol

Mitsuo Hirakawa 10 April, 2013 @ 12:03 pm

Hey dark_angel69
    No worries, you won’t feel left out on either platform as they both offer great experience & story line in its own right. Part of my job is to ensure the creativity from both of our creative directors (Dani@Novarama and Paul Johnson @Magenta Software) realize its full potential, but also hit deadlines so it’s really difficult to juggle this. Although we are all fully grown adults with decades of industry experience, we constantly have to fight off the “kid in a candy store” feel when we think creatively about the game:)

Re AR Tech – Dani you want to answer to this?

Moosichu 10 April, 2013 @ 12:19 am   25

@Dani Sanchez-Crespo

Thanks for your reply! I’m looking forward to both of them, the fact that the Vita has a built-in camera makes the deal that-much sweeter. :)

JoshHood 10 April, 2013 @ 1:29 pm   26

The games look great guys! Hoping for some kind of AR-less mode for the Vita game, for those of us who play in environments that aren’t really great for AR.

Also supporting the “Tigershark in All-Stars” movement!

dark_angel69 11 April, 2013 @ 10:52 am   27

Thanks again for your reply Mitsuo and you too Dani as I just seen your reply to my 1st comment (13) which by the way made it sound class.

It sounds really cool so far. I’ve been keeping a list of games that I want that makes a Vita worth buying.

So far I have listed:
1. killzone mercenary (looks amazing this)
2. uncharted golden abyss
3. assassin’s creed liberation
4. resistance burning skies
5. call of duty declassified

Heard bad things about number 3, 4 and 5 so it put me off but think I would try them out anyway. Number 1 and 2 was the only game that was making me want the Vita but seeing number 1 is not out yet, I’m waiting. But after seeing your game, I put it up right with Killzone. :P If you can release it before killzone and in a bundle, I’d buy it first!

shadowbroly 15 April, 2013 @ 3:07 pm   28

There is also going to be a TV series airing this winter as well, that is going to be the first of its kind to use AR technology. Can’t wait to see what that is all about as well, I also hope this is the first of many other PlayStation brands to become tv series and use this technology.

Also I hope the Vita version of this game does the same thing that Reality Fighters did which was making the use of AR optional, because I want to take this on the go which I was not able to do with the other games in the series because AR was mandatory.

DeathBlade783 17 April, 2013 @ 6:08 am   29

Can you tell us at least the month or year when this game comes out??