Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:00pm

Combat racer Fuel Overdose serves up free DLC today

lead image Fuel Overdose

Hi, this is Skander Djerbi, I’m the executive producer of Fuel Overdose. In case this is the first time you’ve heard about our game, let me describe it briefly.

Created by just two hard-working developers, Fuel Overdose is an indie combat racer for PS3 that brings a new approach to the genre with tons of innovative game mechanics such as the grappling hooks and the super/ultra furies. What’s so special about Fuel Overdose is that it also puts the focus on the strategy. The game is definitely not only about driving and shooting, and constantly challenges your decision-making skills before and during the races.

Fuel_Overdose_Mercenary01Fuel_Overdose_Mercenary02

With that brief intro out the way, let me switch to the main reason why I’m here today: the release today, of our first (free) DLC – the Mercenary Vehicle Pack that contains five additional vehicles (did I mention it’s free J ?). There’s the Limo, Monster (monster truck), Hover (hovercraft), Loader and Military – see them in action in the trailer below..

When we started thinking what kind of rides we wanted for our DLC, we rapidly came to the conclusion that they had to be really different from the 10 vehicles of the original game. We wanted them to be visually striking and also to have their own handling. Take the Hover, for example. It’s a hovercraft and the way you maneuver it is totally different from any other vehicle you’ll find in the game.

These vehicles can be used in any game mode (free race, story, championship, multiplayer…) except the challenge mode, for one reason: these special vehicles are extremely powerful and we didn’t want to make the challenge mode too easy (I must admit that the game is very challenging J).

Fuel_Overdose_Mercenary03Fuel_Overdose_Mercenary04

One last thing: this is the first free DLC, and there’s going to be another free pack in the coming weeks. The first images of this second drop, titled Wanderer Vehicle Pack, are in the trailer above. And if you want to challenge me, here is my PSN ID: skandertk.

To get in touch, or find out more about our game, please visit us here:

Twitter: @skanderdjerbi
facebook.com/fueloverdose
www.fueloverdose.com

Fuel_Overdose_Mercenary05

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

7 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first
goldeneug 10 April, 2013 @ 1:28 pm   1

Awesome guys! Thanks for the free DLC! More companies should do this… EA, Capcom and the rest pay attention!

to bad its for the ps3 becouse the ps3 stops in a couple months so i only buy psvita games

Skander Djerbi 10 April, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

what ?!! no more PS3 games? not even The last of us ? Beyond ? GTA V ?

Skander

alice_push_lara2 10 April, 2013 @ 1:56 pm   3

looks like an IOS game=.=

This game isn’t currently available in AU or NZ. :( (So, why is this story tagged with AU and NZ?)

NoobBlast 10 April, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   5

This game isn’t innovative, as one of the best selling IOS/Android games works the same way. :) I dont remember its name, but i tried the HD version on Android tablet sometime.

Just mentioning it. Alot of game ideas is taken from Indie cell phone games these days.

Skander Djerbi 10 April, 2013 @ 7:21 pm

C’mon…

grappling hooks + defensive gameplay + upgradable weapons + super/ultra furies + race danger + combo system + tactical gameplay+…

Take a look at our trailers (namely the “Action” trailer) or try the demo and you’ll see why Fuel Overdose is definitely not another combat racer. Despite its arcade look, the game is extremely deep.

I’d be interested to know the name of the game you’re referring to and that would have inspired Fuel Overdose. Games from the 90′s such as Death Rally and Rock’n'Roll Racing were great inspirations for our game, but we worked hard to bring something new to the combat racing genre.

And to answer alice_push_lara2, I can say that Fuel Overdose would have been impossible to port on IOS/ Android because the gameplay is so deep that it uses all the buttons and sticks of the dual shock ;)

Skander

nakano1987 10 April, 2013 @ 6:00 pm   6

Thank you for improving the game through free dlc. Hopefully we will get more support like this in the future (more single player content, characters and extended stories).

I was actually considering to get the PC port instead of PS3 due to the lack of local multiplayer features (a key feature for me to buy a game!). I am not that interested in online gaming and the community probably dies quickly. However, decided to purchase this now (note: EU price could be a little closer to US).

If you ever patch the full game, some quick thoughts:
* Loading times between races could be improved a little.
* When you buy weapons, there could be some info text what specific item will do. Race Danger Bet may not be self-explanotory. Apparently there is no point saving the money.
* A way to save story mode and continue later at the same point.

I bought the game from the US PSN at launch as it’s not available on ours (NZ) and I’ve been loving it. There’s a lot of skill and strategy involved with all the weapons and gadgets this game has, it’s nothing like any other combat racer I’ve ever played.

However my biggest complain is the view is too restricted, I have to rely heavily on the map because I can only see 2-3m in front of me, but when you’re trying to shoot/evade/grapple in the heat of battle the last thing you’re paying attention to is the road or the map so I keep crashing. You really need to pay full attention when driving in this game but it’s so hectic with all the combat/specials/gadgets that it becomes impossible, and I’ve played the campaign multiple times, it’s still that hard.

This game also needs better matchmaking, I’ve never found anyone to play with online, not a single game.