Posted 11 April

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon explodes onto PS3 next month

Lead image Game-Icon

Hey guys I’m Philippe Fournier, production manager on the upcoming cyber-shooter Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, out 1st May via PSN for PS3. It is 2007 — the future. Step into the shoes of Rex Power Colt, a cyber-commando sent to a remote island to stop Colonel Ike Sloan from taking over the world with his rogue cyborg army.

Lab_NO_LOGO_GOLDBadass_Pause_NO_LOGO_GOLD

For Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, we wanted to go back to the late ’80s and early ’90s – what we like to call “the VHS era” – when video games were still new, and over-the-top action movies were at their pinnacle. Most of the team grew up during those years, so it was a ton of fun to relive this carefree episode of our lives, where we could watch cartoons like MASK or GI Joe with Uncle Dan on Saturday morning.

OMEGA_door_NO_LOGO_GOLDSniper_NO_LOGO_GOLD

During the conception phase, our days consisted of watching VHS tapes of action movies sitting in front of an old CRT screen. Our office space looked like a kid’s room in the early ’90s, with He-Man figurines on our desks and Terminator posters on every wall. We probably had the best Halloween day ever, with people dressed up as Robocop and our very own Omega Force cyborg soldiers.

All of this helped us create a game filled with explosions, cyborgs and cheesy one-liners delivered by the greatest Hollywood action hero from the ’80s, the one and only Michael Biehn. The script is terrible. So terrible, that it’s actually good. Our universe sometimes doesn’t make sense, and that’s perfectly fine – not everything made sense during those years.

Fans of open world games, laser-tag, neon pink and dragons that shoot lasers from their eyes will absolutely cyber-love Blood Dragon. It’s based on the same award-winning technology and gameplay systems from Far Cry 3, so when you’re laying waste to cyborgs in the open world, expect a lot of explosive and random encounters filled with cyber sharks, robo dogs and mutant goats. The game is a standalone offer, which means that any fans of the ’80s will be able to jump in on 1st May on PSN.

Minigun_battle_NO_LOGO_GOLDHeavy_Headshot_NO_LOGO_GOLD

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

zedmayer 11 April, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   1

New set of trophies including Plat? ;)

Jamesyp00 11 April, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   2

Money’s ready for you guys, you can just take it all.

Sneachta 11 April, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   3

I thought I was excited for Bioshock Infinite until I saw the trailer for this ….. please don’t disappoint *fingers crossed*
Possible the greatest video game since Turrican 2 !?

darkphoenixire 11 April, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   4

This is what duke nukem forever should have been like. Any word if it’s an expansion or standalone?

BiGsMoO7ke 11 April, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   5

wasn’t this suppose to be a dlc for far cry 3. what happened?

bennyrafal 11 April, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   6

#4 some say its standalone, also i like colors and setting…

also Fred, Turrican 2 is like retro God of platformers, i remember i had some crazy skills when played that game, but that was long ago :D on c64 and Amiga :D

bennyrafal 11 April, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   7

no edit, so – how much?

ocelot07 11 April, 2013 @ 6:28 pm   8

This is a stand alone. People who recently bought new amd graphics card for the PC’s will be getting this free.

supersmith2500 11 April, 2013 @ 6:38 pm   9

Is this like an expansion pack for FC3?

MASPALOMAZ 11 April, 2013 @ 6:44 pm   10

Will FC3 Purchasers get an incentive? or is our 60 basically wasted because now you can buy a better fc3 for just 15?! :)

MA76_666 11 April, 2013 @ 7:30 pm   11

im getting 80s flashback watching this ……not that one fred ;)

KRadiation 11 April, 2013 @ 7:47 pm   12

That is by far the greatest trailer for a video game I have ever seen. Reminds me of the great 80′s / early 90′s cartoons like M.A.S.K, Jayce and the wheeled Warriors, Transformer and Inhumanoids. Back when cartoons had balls and weren’t afraid to cut them off and ram them down our throats…. Erm…

Rashilda 11 April, 2013 @ 11:11 pm   13

That has to be one of the most ridiculoius and most awesome trailers for a game i’ve seen in a long while. I’m in Ubisoft!

SilentShadowX2 12 April, 2013 @ 1:03 am   14

Far Cry 3 <3

Carnivius_Prime 12 April, 2013 @ 8:41 am   15

Well, I like games that purposely go for an 80′s vibe (Double Dragon Neon was among my fave games of last year) but I wish it was something other than another FPS game (one of my absolute least fave genres).

I’d love it if someone ported Turrican II to PS3 though. Still a great game with my all time favourite soundtrack. Oh Amiga days…

ElTequillaz 12 April, 2013 @ 1:00 pm   16

Was it an idea to secure a discount for people who bought Far Cry 3? I presume you could check it by Uplay passport’s redeemed.
Maybe for people who bought Insane edition :P

TINTINTB303 12 April, 2013 @ 3:13 pm   17

@Everyone asking if it is DLC or a stand alone title.

Above reads:
Blood Dragon. It’s based on the same award-winning technology and gameplay systems from Far Cry 3. The game is a standalone offer, which means that any fans of the ’80s will be able to jump in on 1st May on PSN.

You DO NOT need to own FC3 for it to work.

The best example of another similar game model would be InFamous: Festival Of Blood.
A BRAND NEW GAME based in a game world/engine that already exists.

Rumour has it’ll be about 2, 3 maybe 4 hours gameplay and will be somewhere between £8 and £15.

I’m sold :-D

And just when you thought Far Cry 3 couldn’t get any better…

Captain9Fingers 13 April, 2013 @ 9:57 am   19

Makes me want to dig my VCR out of the loft and watch the original Terminator film. Can’t wait to play this

Hexahedronaut 14 April, 2013 @ 11:38 am   20

You had me at “dragons that shoot lasers from their eyes”

Bovrillor 15 April, 2013 @ 3:53 am   21

I love FC3, I was born in (and treasure) the 80s… but this doesn’t appeal to me. Would much rather have seen a reason to return to ‘proper’ FC3 (Knife Of Dunwall demonstrates this concept perfectly) as the novelty of Blood Dragon will likely wear off in 5 minutes.

Next time, how about a proper DLC? Better yet, patch up the editor so we can create Rakyat Trials, Co-Op missions etc. Seems pointless having loads of features in it that you can’t really use.

VillaButler 15 April, 2013 @ 9:25 am   22

I’m super stoked for this game, however I will not be buying it on PS3 and here’s why. I bought Far Cry 3 when it was on special with the 12 days of Christmas promotion last year. I LOVE Far Cry 3 and it has been perfectly enjoyable on my PS3, but the game just doesn’t perform well enough or look good enough on my PS3 for me to be satisfied. I opted for the PS3 version because of the Co-op, but Blood Dragon is going to be a PC purchase. I’ll wait until I have a PS4 before I buy new titles and stick with PS3 exclusives or back catalogue items until then.

The other reason is that the PC version comes with that SWEET Powerglove soundtrack. :D

wielkus 16 April, 2013 @ 4:41 pm   23

wow this is looking amazing I would love to see this in Plus :P

DEMACIAN_NIGHT 22 April, 2013 @ 4:34 pm   24

Totally getting this game!