Posted 15 April

Castle of Illusion coming to PSN this summer

COI Announcement screenshot (2)

Mickey Mouse is returning to star in Castle of Illusion, a fantastical HD reimagining of the classic Sega Mega Drive game. The game is scheduled to release in summer of 2013.

COI Announcement screenshot (5)COI Announcement screenshot (1)

We know that Castle of Illusion has a special place in many gamers’ hearts and Sega Studios Australia is putting lots of care into this new 2D/3D game. Our plan is to deliver a fully reimagined experience that takes advantage of the power of PS3 with all new graphics and new adventures, while at the same time making sure that the game maintains the Disney magic that the original Castle of Illusion captured in 1990.

COI Announcement screenshot (3)COI Announcement screenshot (4)

We have also been working very closely with the director of the original game, who is now at Disney Interactive. We are having a blast working with her to realise many of the elements that were intended for the original game, but couldn’t be achieved until now due to the technical limitations of previous generation consoles. If you have played the original game, you will also see that we have kept intact many of the major iconic elements of the game that helped define this groundbreaking game at the time of its original release.

Look out for our developer interviews and behind the scenes videos soon, as the Sega Studios Australia team and members of the original game development team share their experience working on Castle of Illusion.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

67 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

Wild_Guns 15 April, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   1

Interesting. Online coop..?

A_Nonny_Moose 15 April, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   2

Vita version?

unless its coming to the vita im not even thinking about buying this game haha

COOL;)

ChazzH69 15 April, 2013 @ 5:56 pm   5

WOW, I cannot wait. Loved this game back in the day, I hope my family will love it this summer.

How long will the game be?

Mattbrad 15 April, 2013 @ 7:16 pm   7

Wow used to play this game all the time. Thanks for bringing this to psn. Any chance the classic could come over too?

Daft-Eng 15 April, 2013 @ 8:18 pm   8

On my PS3?
No thanks.
Had It been coming to Vita, I’d have given you my money now ;)

MaxDiehard 15 April, 2013 @ 10:06 pm   9

Haha, I was actually looking around old retro stores looking for the MegaDrive version the other day.

If they can get a port of the original alongside this, then that’d be great.

King_Ubu 15 April, 2013 @ 10:44 pm   10

Hey Mai, the game looks great, it’s really tugging my nostalgia veins.

I know this isn’t exactly related but might as well ask since this is as probably as close as I’ll get.

Is that Sonic Generations Casino Night DLC ever coming to the EU or US side of the PSN? Japan has had it for well over a year now?

anunnakid 15 April, 2013 @ 11:21 pm   11

No vita, no love = no money

MaxDiehard 15 April, 2013 @ 11:37 pm   12

@anunnakid

At least give this a chance on PS3 first. I’m sure a Vita version is in the works. Remaking a classic has a lot to live up to.

Vita has started to get the love it deserves over the past few months. Just show a little patience and support.

Shadowdragoon 16 April, 2013 @ 12:20 am   13

Hmm, Kind of remind me of a game I played at my Sega Master system (That still works) Castle of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse. Not a Megadrive game..

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 12:28 am   14

@Shadowdragoon

Castle of Illusion was avaiable across the following platforms. It wasn’t a Master System exclusive.

Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, Master System, Game Gear, Sega Saturn.

Witcher70 16 April, 2013 @ 12:37 am   15

Excited ! If this is coming to PS3 definitely a day 1 purchase :-D

Alestes 16 April, 2013 @ 1:11 am   16

Very cool news, I look forward to re-visit this game in the future.

However, I sure hope Sega also re-release QuackShot after this, that game was ace. Best Disney game ever.

Robinworldwide 16 April, 2013 @ 6:54 am   17

I’m like many others on here. If this was on Vita it’d be an instant buy, but with my huge ps3 backlog as it is already i’m gonna pass on this one. This game seems like it could be really cool and suitable for vita, but instead we get tons of games i can play on my phone for less…oh well.

Terarded 16 April, 2013 @ 6:59 am   18

this game has captured my eye and im not sure why. usually i hate side scrollers and protest their existence but this looks interesting

cowbanana 16 April, 2013 @ 7:23 am   19

Apparently we’re not worthy of any replies from SEGA. I hate it when people do marketing on the blog and then skip out completely once the questions come in. This is not how you do marketing in 2013.

Vita version? No Vita, no buy!

But then again, the studio making this game (SEGA Studios Australia) is already marked for the chopping block once this game ships, which in itself instills massive confidence in the product… *cough* not.

Husseingames 16 April, 2013 @ 8:26 am   20

its good game

Riko_player44 16 April, 2013 @ 8:45 am   21

Very sad if it not coming to PS Vita : No Version Vita = No buy (i dont have PS3) … :(

Kavatus 16 April, 2013 @ 8:49 am   22

This would be excelent IGC candidate when it comes. Ps3 needs more platformer games. Any insight whether this has atleast local co-op of somekind? Just simple recoloring Mickey would suffice.

Catkiller1 16 April, 2013 @ 8:51 am   23

When I read the rumours a couple of weeks back, it mentioned a collection including World Of Illusion & Magical Quest, so i’m hoping the original titles will still release.

This is good news though and if the price is right then I will jump all over this. Ductales releasing soon, Dungeons and Dragons retro collection, Flashback and plenty more retro titles incoming makes this a great year for me :)

Recently came back from Las Vegas for my Birthday and loved it, although I didn’t win anything major!

Made redundant recently and it looks like my luck has pulled through with a second interview, so I should start next week with the positive telephone conversation I had! :) Lucky month for me this year and beats my birthday last year, as my newborn son was in and out of Hospital for most of last year. Things are looking up & I have a smile on my face again!

Looking forward to reading about the full PLUS Update for next month, as Hitman Absolution is a great start!

Catkiller1 16 April, 2013 @ 8:52 am   24

* Ducktales

Huono_peleis 16 April, 2013 @ 9:58 am   25

Would you please stop whining about the lack of Vita ports already? Hardly anyone is developing for it because the market is simply too small and this fact is not going to change unless there is a radical pricecut soon.

You could help the situation a bit by actually buying some of the games that already are available for Vita instead just waiting them to go on sale or appear in IGC.

Splutterbug 16 April, 2013 @ 9:59 am   26

I have a HUGE grin on my face, I remember playing this soooo much as a kid, its not often I’ll buy a game on day 1 but this is one of them, can’t wait to introduce my Mickey Mouse loving kids to it.

AmorousBadger1 16 April, 2013 @ 10:12 am   27

This looks lovely. Now, what about that release date for Terraria? It’s out on the 360 and in the US I understand..

TINTINTB303 16 April, 2013 @ 10:15 am   28

I hope this game turns out well. Great memories playing the original on my beloved old Megadrive! :-D

@Catkiller
I didn’t even spot the missing “k” until you made that second post. ;-)

Robinworldwide 16 April, 2013 @ 10:20 am   29

@Huono_peleis #25

The audacity, just wow. People have every right to say whatever they want on here, just like you. Who do you think you are telling people what they can or can’t say? If you don’t like it, don’t read it. And another wow, did you investigate the attach rate for vita? Because i’ve been reading it’s actually the highest of all systems, but apparantly you have sources that tell you we owners just wait for our free games. The market is small not just because of the price, but also because people actually hold back on buying a vita because too little (full retail) games are available on it. You see a trend there?

TonyLeMesmer 16 April, 2013 @ 10:45 am   30

Hope we get World of Illusion too! I had Castle for the Master System, World for the Mega Drive. Loved them both.

cat-charlie 16 April, 2013 @ 10:56 am   31

EPIC! I’ve still got my Mega Drive and this game so I will have to dig it out and have a blast on it before this comes out!

Huono_peleis 16 April, 2013 @ 11:43 am   32

@ Robinworldwide

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale sold 160.000 copies globally, Modnation Racers: Road Trip 180.000. There’s only three Vita titles that have sold more than half a million copies. See the trend here?

@ Huono_peleis

most ps vita games suck when sony told about the ps vita they told it has the same power as the ps3

see the trend there ?

Huono_peleis 16 April, 2013 @ 12:10 pm   34

@ VaVeTi

And you believed it? Sony has said many things. Remember “PS2 has processing power to imitate emotions”, “PS3 will be fully backward compatible”, “PS3 is fully region-free”, “Your credit card information is secured”, “PS3 will have other OS option” or “All PS Vita games will be at least 10% cheaper digitally” etc.

Robinworldwide 16 April, 2013 @ 12:54 pm   35

@Huono_peleis #32

You seem to have missed the point. If there’s more enticing games, more people will buy/own a Vita and with that more people will buy those games you just mentioned.

Other than that, no exact digital sales numbers of vita games are known. Estimates say that 1/3 of all sales are digital. Now if you look past the few games you mentioned for your own convenience, actually mention the 10 games that have sold in between 300k and 1 million copies and add up the digital sales, i don’t think those numbers are even that bad for a handheld. Not every game can sell COD numbers you know.

Anyway, this wasn’t about sales numbers to begin with, this was about you having the audacity to tell people to stop “whining” because apparantly you own the internet.

@ Huono_peleis

never heard of the 10% cheaper digital and never heard: “PS3 will be fully backward compatible” or “PS3 is fully region-free”

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 1:52 pm   37

@VaVeTi

The statements about full backwards compatability and fully region free applied to the original 60GB years ago. So they were true, for a short while. Although all systems are all region free, but this applies only to Blu-Ray games.

The 10% cheaper digital was a statement revealed years ago at E3, but indeed they didn’t live up on their word.

As for this game, it should at least be tried on PS3 first, as recreating a well loved classic game is a lot to live up to. I think the last thing Sony want is another AAA flop against their handheld.

I fully agree that the Vita needs more games, but I’m sure they want to see how this game fares on their bigger market first. Either that or they’re making the game with an engine that’s incompatible with Vita.

But yea, I’d love to see this on Vita, but I’ll support the developers by getting this on PS3 too.

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 1:54 pm   38

Mr Kawaguchi, what engine is this game being made on?

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 1:58 pm   39

vita = good
but sony got to lissen
price vita = 50 € overpriced when u looking to other device
+when peopel nowh other contry have pricedrop them want to ( world wide studios = end of be separeted compani )
-retail games ????? i onli see 8 in mi store in mi city

mem cards overpriced when u looking to normal mem cards ( sony want special them need to pay the consequence , not the consumers )
games = better then start but stil missing some great games

then other tings :
-digital prices psn = need to be 10 € lesser then real store games + more/ faster % of games ( u want to ficht piracy = make games cheaper )

- always online = no go ( wil not support 1 game = i hope them ut big on game u need always online )
i wil hurt ea + ubisoft to suport the always online = wil not buy games new
from them.
-i go online = mesage / trophies / you tube / face book ….
games = cod / bf al other games = not want to stay online all day

……

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 1:59 pm   40

continu =
i want console to play 1st games
-next optional apps
=movie app – facebook – you tube ……
-want more cheaper games like minecraft ….. whe are not mony pigs .
(why = i hate big companies + their policy + i like games from gamers to gamers principe )
-place( make ) u own startmenu
-ps vita integration = no tv needed like wii u tablet
-free storage online of saves ore backup on mem sticks of vita
-world wide store

-i not want = always online
-camera ( eyetoy-move to be always on = i not need big brother in mi room )
-i want mi peace when i play sp games i love more then mp! .
-no new singstar icone please + remove from ps3
-some contry in Europe be again 3 weel to sony = need to stop .

@ MaxDiehard

thnx man i realy did not know that

@ monoliet

type in native belgium and then use google translate so other people understan what you are trying to say

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 2:19 pm   42

@monoliet

Please refrain from spamming every blog post that shows up with this nonsense.

Almost everything you’ve said is irrelevent to the content posted here. Spammers are easily noticed on here and you are one of them.

If you have nothing nice to say, then keep it to yourself or take it to the forums. This is not the place. And please learn some proper grammar. Lots of other people from other countries have no problem with grammar and put the effort in. I suggest a translator.

BiGsMoO7ke 16 April, 2013 @ 2:28 pm   43

We want this game on the Vita :)

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 2:29 pm   44

ik zeg dat vita een goed console is
maar de prijs is +-50 € teveel op dit moment om zeker te zwijgen over de mem cards .
mensen wachten op prijsdrop ( als een land dat krijgt wil iedereen dat )
sony moet een globale firma worden die als een werkt en niet in verschillende stukken zoals nu .
er zijn meer games dan dag 1 maar ze missen nog altijd wat meer games met verslavende factor .
vita als tv scherm gebruiken om ps4 games te spelen .

wat ps4 betreft =
1 wereld store
2 niet te duur
3 meer games gemaakt door gamers voor gamers ( indie games zoals minecraft…)
4 u hoofdmenu zelf in een steken met iconen en zij apps zelf optioneel mogen kiezen en geen pre fab brol aub. ( zelf iconen plaatsen en aub geen windows 8 manier met die stomme aps schermen )
5 zeker geen always online principe ( want ik boycot elke game die zo uitkomt )
6 geen always online big brother met die eye toy en move brol
elk Europees land even belangrijk
gratis save opslag ruimte of mogelijkheid om saves op te slaan op ps vita mem sticks .

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 2:30 pm   45

put tekst in transelator = u wil see = ith wil not wok ;)

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 2:32 pm   46

MaxDiehard

@VaVeTi

= u tekst , also noting to do on topic , so = also spam

@ monoliet

this is my first time offtopic you do it every week multiple times haha

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 2:35 pm   48

Apparently you can’t read either.

I clearly talk about this game within that comment while answering another user’s questions.

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   49

i give comment on all peopel who say vitta not have games

vita good but stil missing lots of good tings ;)
+ price drop needed = if u give 1 contry u need to give al contry price drop .

jes sony makes good tings but lots of time them make stupid desissions .

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   50

@monoliet

YOur post did indeed translate, but if you don’t write in your language using appropriate grammar, then it won’t translate properly. So the fault is still you.

Load all