Posted 3:00pm

Creating the unique world of Wonderbook: Diggs Nightcrawler

Diggs screenshot 04

Hello everyone. We’re really pleased to lift the curtain on the development of Diggs Nightcrawler in this first video diary. And what better place to start than with our collaboration with the talented and highly creative team at Moonbot Studios and how they created the unique world of Library City and its cast of colourful characters for this exclusive experience on Wonderbook.

With the book as the starting point, the world, the characters, the story and the interactions were born (or as Humpty would say, “hatched”). A detective bookworm who knows he’s inside a book, whose world is made from books, and who travels throughout the course of the game to different sections of the library, meeting unique characters along the way. And being Wonderbook this is no ordinary hardcover. The world that the characters inhabit is in your hands, creating novel ways of interacting with the game.

Diggs screenshot 05Diggs screenshot 03

We hope you enjoy the diary and we’ll have more in the coming weeks.

Diggs Nightcrawler will be released in EU from 29th May 2013, exclusively on Wonderbook for PlayStation 3.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

20 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

monoliet 16 April, 2013 @ 3:08 pm   1

nice consept
but why on tv ?
let image come out the book ore technologie not jet ready ?

Artemisthemp 16 April, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   2

I just want release date on Wonderbook: Walking with Dinosaurs

ShadowFlex 16 April, 2013 @ 3:27 pm   3

The wonder book is a very strange concept. In that you have something that requires many peripherals, all quite expensive. Then you release all of it at the end of a hardware cycle with another console on it’s way. Then to top it off all this effort and money just to get the bundle working is for a couple of sub-par mini-games almost.

The entire thing has failed to make sense to me. Why buy such a convoluted bundle for your child, when there is plenty other easier and cheaper gimmicky gaming media’s with more life span and content.

After the flop that was PlayStation move i would have hoped Sony would have listened to there users. I just find this all very bizarre!

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   4

I loved Book of Spells. Can’t wait for this either. :)

@monoliet

It comes out on the TV because that’s what augmented reality is. For it to actually come out from the book would require 3D Holographic Technology, which currently does not exist to us. That tech is at least another 20 years away.

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 3:32 pm   5

@ShadowFlex

I would hardly call PlayStation Move a flop. It’s remained popular enough that it’s migrated over to PS4. With the new dual-camera PlayStation Eye and the tech demo that Media Molecule came up with means that it may finally get the full recognition it deserves.

To me its far from a gimmick.

StopBitz 16 April, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   6

I just Love good old Diggs!

@maxDiehard you can make that 30 years for belgium since they are always behind for approx. 10 yrs with the ”latest” technologies :)

ChazzH69 16 April, 2013 @ 3:49 pm   7

This game looks fantastic and I cannot wait to get the family playing this. Wonderbook could continue on the PS4, the idea of interactive storybooks from the likes of Roald Dahl could become the next must have item.

Keep these posts coming!

Nathan Baseley 16 April, 2013 @ 9:56 pm

Really glad you’re enjoying the posts so far. We’ve got more planned in the lead up to Diggs being released. Stay posted!

mh637099 16 April, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   8

When will Wonderbook be available for download?

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 4:07 pm   9

@mh637009

Wonderbook is a peripheral (physical item)

So far you can only aquire the Wonderbook in a bundle with the Book of Spells. Keep in mind you also need a PlayStation Move controller and a PlayStation Eye.

There’s no word on a download, only retail releases.

mh637099 16 April, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   10

@MixDiehard But can’t they put the Wonderbook as a downloadable PDF file like they did with the PS Vita AR Play Cards?

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 4:18 pm   11

@mh637099

As far as I’m aware, no.

The Wonderbook is specially designed so that the PlayStation Eye detects exact dimensions and symbol distance. AR Cards are just one symbol, Wonderbook has many in order to maintain tracking and accuracy. So it works a bit differently.

ShadowFlex 16 April, 2013 @ 4:50 pm   12

@ MaxDiehard

Sorry to offend; just not my cup of tea I guess. I was questioning less the hardware itself but more the time and price point of combining all the hardware together. Just struck me as odd, I never knew however it was merging over to PS4 so sorry for being ignorant on that fact. It still feels like a lot to pay, for something that would get little use.

That being said, if they ever brought Sir Terry Pratchett’s Diskword series to Wonderbook… I would seriously have to consider it. I will get my son interested in the current affairs of Ankh-Morpork if it kills me!

Sorry again for any offense.

supersmith2500 16 April, 2013 @ 4:57 pm   13

So Digg’s Nightcrawler is coming out next month for Europe while in the US ”This Holiday”. Hmm,

While I would want to buy this because hey it looks pretty cool. But the thing that putts me off the game is the PS3 eye. So hopefully you will release a PS4 version aswell because the PS3 eye image quality is crap.

bennyrafal 16 April, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   15

outstanding, could buy that just for a story

Nathan Baseley 16 April, 2013 @ 10:13 pm

We can’t wait for everyone to enjoy this experience for the first time. We’ll have more to say on the story soon, we think you’re going to enjoy being a part of it as it unfolds.

MaxDiehard 16 April, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   16

@kivi95

A dual-camera PlayStation Eye was revealed alongside the Dualshock 4 at the PlayStation Meeting earlier this year.

It runs at a resolution of 1280×800px which is almost double that of the original PlayStation Eye.

Hello Nathan

First I would like to say that I am really looking forward to this game.

I however had a bit of a bad experience with the latest Sly Cooper game when it turned out, that the version available in my local store only did not have my native language (Danish) and English on the same disc – even though one could read reviews of the game prior to launch, that mentioned both languages. I would have liked to be able to play the game in English, when by myself, and in Danish when with friends who have smaller kids. Someone on the PlayStation forum then contacted the support and was told that since it was a kids game, there was no need for the english version on the game-disc.

So now my question to you is: Will Diggs Nightcrawler be translated into Danish and will the gamedisc that is sold in Denmark also contain both an English and a Danish version of the game?

Nathan Baseley 16 April, 2013 @ 10:21 pm

Hello Keldj. So pleased you’re looking forward to playing Diggs Nightcrawler – we can’t wait for you to meet him!

To answer your question, yes, we’ve translated the game fully into Danish. As far as I’m aware the released game in Denmark will include English.

s-_celil 16 April, 2013 @ 7:02 pm   18

does anyone knows when new ps is going to releasing_

Catkiller1 17 April, 2013 @ 9:36 am   19

My eldest two are enjoying Book of Spells & this release looks great.

I was skeptical at first when Book of Spells was first announced but bought it for the kids anyway and i’m glad I did. My parents visited and were gobsmacked by the technology (Oldies! ;)) Pretty impressive stuff indeed!

Hymeleon 17 April, 2013 @ 11:06 am   20

Can you say what lahguages will be supported? I mean – all of them.

P.S. STOP SINGSPAM!!!

Nathan Baseley 18 April, 2013 @ 11:24 am

No problem, Hymeleon. The European version of Diggs Nightcrawler has been fully translated into 14 languages – Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Italian, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish.