Posted 12:00pm

PlayStation Plus: Your May update

PS-Plus-1024x576

Hi everyone! It’s that time of the month again when we update you on all the new PlayStation Plus content coming your way in May.

As usual, there are three new PS3 games and two for PS Vita in the line-up for May, as well as awesome titles such as The Cave, Lord of The Rings War in the North, Virtue’s Last Reward and Thomas Was Alone already available.

New PlayStation 3 content
In case you missed the announcement in the Declassified Sale post last week, I’m very happy to reveal that as of 1st May, for one month only, you can download Square Enix’s action-packed blockbuster Hitman Absolution as part of your PlayStation Plus subscription!

It has been seven long years since Hitman: Blood Money graced the PS2 but Agent 47 is finally back and more lethal than ever in the explosive fifth instalment in the series. Boasting a cinematic story, distinctive art direction and thrilling game design, Hitman: Absolution combines classic gameplay with features never seen before in the franchise.

hitman_absolution_8

Also dropping into the service on 1st May is Deep Silver’s acclaimed psychological puzzle adventure Catherine. The game tells the fascinating story of Vincent, an average guy who meets the mysterious Catherine and spends the night with her. With strange dream-related deaths taking place all over the city Vincent begins to have nightmares of his own. Not only must he fight for his survival but also must make the tough decision between his girlfriend Katherine and the beautiful yet potentially deadly Catherine.

I really don’t think I can do this game justice with words – it’s a masterpiece, so make sure you check it out while it’s in Plus!

catherine-playstation-3-ps3-030

Your final PS3 offering for the month is the action-packed adventure Malicious. You’ll take on the role of a ‘spirit vessel’ summoned into the world by the Prophets to vanquish evil. Armed with the Mantle of Cinders – a cloak that can absorb power from destroyed objects and shift form – you wage battle with the Malicious.

New PS Vita content
First up for PS Vita on 8th May is unique side-scrolling shoot ‘em up Sine Mora. The game features two plots running at different points in time. The first features a father bent on taking revenge on the Empire that executed his son for refusing to drop a nuclear bomb on the Enkie race. The second follows the last survivors of the Enkie race as they plot revenge on the Empire for destroying them.

And last but certainly not least, we’re very happy to announce that on 15th May you will be able to download Velocity Ultra. Many of you may well remember the phenomenal mini title Velocity, developed by our very talented friends at FutureLab. This new version of the game really takes full advantage of the PS Vita’s capabilities, adding trophies, online scoreboards and HD graphics!

For a closer look at all this month’s games, check out our full recap video:

As usual, over the coming weeks you can also expect exclusive PS Plus discounts on a range of other titles including 60% off Back to The Future, 60% off Beyond Good and Evil and 60% off Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD. We’ll update you on these offers and more in the weekly Store posts.

In summary
Leaving PS Plus in May:
1st May: Okami HD
1st May: F1 Race Stars
1st May: Quantum Conundrum
8th May: Zero Escape: Virtue’s Last Reward
22nd May: Thomas Was Alone

Entering PS Plus in May:
1st May: Hitman Absolution
1st May: Catherine
1st May: Malicious
8th May: Sine Mora
15th May: Velocity Ultra HD

If you are not currently a Plus member, visit our PlayStation Plus site to find out more about the service. Here you’ll learn all you need to know about a one year subscription to the Instant Game Collection, available for a one-off payment of just £39.99.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

282 Comments 44 Author replies
Show oldest first

dividsmythe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:05 pm   1

Glad about Catherine free. Hitman we knew about. So glad Velocity ultra there too.

Well that’s a nice update! Good job!
Some more news about the Lego titles for IGC? :-)

GodFear1ngHead 17 April, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   3

So excited to see Catherine! Such a fantastically niche and engrossing story! Hitman is a solid plus too.
Any chance of Ninja Gaiden Sigma+ or Disgaea 3 on Plus soon?

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:20 pm

I’m afraid that Disgaea 3 is not available in quite a few territories so we will probably not be able to put this in the IGC anytime soon.

Possibly Ninja Gaiden, but there is a little rating issue to resolve around it

Nightmare966 17 April, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   4

Good. Catherine. Hitman. Sine Mora.

I don’t really want to know what’s in store for the June month, AKA PS Plus birthday. You might as well give us The Last of Us lol

Another great month, packed of a lot of variety! Cant wait for May 1st :D

Thanks as usual Chris :)

Awesome month! :)

15th April is presumably is a typo I guess.

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:22 pm

April 15th is correct, Thomas was Alone and Velocity will overlap by a week so effectively there will be three VITA games in that week

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:24 pm

oooops apologies thats meant to say May!

Is the strangers wrath discount on the PS3 or Vita version or both? Please be the vita version!

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:21 pm

Sorry its just the PS3 version at the moment but I will see if there is any chance of the VITA version as well

Flipside666 17 April, 2013 @ 12:07 pm   7

Very good Month, two for me – Catherine and Malicious look very interesting. too many game to play ahhhh, i got sly 4 to finish then okami then a couple more titles now =)

please please please can we get shadow of the colossus next month please……..and NFS:MW.

TerrorOfDeath86 17 April, 2013 @ 12:07 pm   9

Great update Chris but I have a question: Will Catherine be available to Saudi Arabia’s PS+ subscribers?

dividsmythe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:08 pm   10

Not top interested in Sine Mora adel but I weren’t too interested in Zero escape beforehand but the only game I’ve played for 1 week. Thanks PS+

Tramain1987 17 April, 2013 @ 12:08 pm   11

THIS IS WHY I LOVE PLAYSTATION! sorry for shouting.

Wild_Guns 17 April, 2013 @ 12:08 pm   12

But Thomas Was Alone, ehm, leave even before entering the Store..?

GungamStyle 17 April, 2013 @ 12:09 pm   13

Hey could you try see if F1 2012 could be a PS+ game next month or soon?

After the buckle up mention on twitter its all I could dream about!

bestheelever 17 April, 2013 @ 12:09 pm   14

Not too bad :) Looking forward to Hitman Absolution and really glad you gave us a head’s up before I bought it on the Store.

KillaT2501 17 April, 2013 @ 12:10 pm   15

Cracking month! Nice work gents

ShadowhunterrX 17 April, 2013 @ 12:10 pm   16

Catherine ? You guys are……. GREAT !

Artemisthemp 17 April, 2013 @ 12:12 pm   17

Catherine (EU) and Malicious :)
Now I can go back and play Catherine again.

JoshHood 17 April, 2013 @ 12:12 pm   18

Absolutely fantastic update – exactly what I got Plus for, these sort of non-AAA games that I um and ah about every time I go in a shop! No particular interest in Sine Mora (but I’ll certainly try it anyway), but the rest of the line-up is great! Always fancied trying out Malicious and Catherine, and the latter is crazy expensive on disk.

Question: is the Stranger’s Wrath discount this month the Vita version?

Suggestion: we’ve had a couple Warner things (Gotham City, Mortal Kombat) before, any chance of Lego Batman 2 or something for Vita in the future?

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:26 pm

Stranger’s Wrath is just PS3 at the moment but I shall ask about the VITA version

Lego titles are on the radar fear not

Silent_Gig 17 April, 2013 @ 12:12 pm   19

Great update

Chris could you please ask Milestone if they could bring WRC 3 or MUD for the PS+ on psvita.(or maybe a discount if that’s not possible)

Another fantastic month. The breadth of games the service has offered lately is impressive.

Samabyte 17 April, 2013 @ 12:13 pm   22

Meh, good timing for my exams I suppose… I guess there won’t be something for me every month. Would be really nice to have a headliner that isn’t a mature title (Okami, while it’s a good game and it was great to see it on plus, was a bit old to be a headliner). Maybe Malicious and Velocity Ultra might surprise me…

Any chance of assassins creed (even the first couple) or something from popcap? :D

ABSOLUTELY AWESOME!!!

Loved the Sine Mora demo, worth it alone!

I have never played a Hitman game before but cant wait to try it out.

I am far too excited for a 35 year old

Catherine – really nice. Great game for IGC. Thanks.

Samabyte 17 April, 2013 @ 12:15 pm   25

And I’d like to weigh in on F1 2012 – that would be great!

ShadowhunterrX 17 April, 2013 @ 12:15 pm   26

Please stop giving good games…. Please.. :(

magicKERR 17 April, 2013 @ 12:18 pm   27

Damm there is some good Games there! Can’t wait to play Catherine!!

Samabyte 17 April, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   28

Oh, and when are Gravity Rush/Uncharted being updated? Next month?

GodOfWarGreece 17 April, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   29

Great Month
15th April: Velocity Ultra HD???? maybe 15th may??????

BiOsTaRoN 17 April, 2013 @ 12:20 pm   30

Awesome month! :)

Any chance these will join the IGC. Tales of Graces f, Atelier Ayesha: The Alchemist of Dusk

CreditDue 17 April, 2013 @ 12:20 pm   31

Catherine? Nice. I have the South Korean version, but I don’t know Korean so it’s not playable.

Great update

dark_angel69 17 April, 2013 @ 12:21 pm   32

Looks like a nice update this month. Will be playing Hitman Absolution for sure if I can fit in the time. lol. Not sure about playing Catherine and Malicious. Defiance has taken up most of my time and I’m so hooked to it I can’t even play something else. Might give Sine Mora a chance but seeing I just got my Vita the other day, I have too much to play on it 1st. I blame Defiance for being so addictive! lol

Catkiller1 17 April, 2013 @ 12:21 pm   33

Catherine & Hitman: Absolution……Thank you :)

Malicious isn’t my cup of tea though. Purchased it within a sale & played it for a few hours but didn’t like it but i’m sure others will!

Also, Thomas Was Alone isn’t on the store so have I missed something??

Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Bundle is showing on the webstore with no price. Is this releasing soon then?

Kind Regards

TheReaper50 17 April, 2013 @ 12:22 pm   34

Great line up this month. But one question. I don’t think Deep Silver did Catherine. I’m pretty it’s Atlus. If I’m wrong my bad. But I’m almost positive. Thanks for the awesomeness though Playstation!!!!!

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:30 pm

For EU Deep Silver look after its publishing rights but you are correct about Atlus involvement

DiscworldDeath 17 April, 2013 @ 12:22 pm   35

This is a good offering!

I’m a bit sad about the Vita, neither game is a meaty game you can play for hours, and are both more arcade oriented. I’m still curious about Velocity Ultra, so it’s fine.

Catherine, I just purchased that last week :D (Still hadn’t arrived).

As if Hitman Absolution wasn’t enough, we’re getting Catherine too?! Wow. A pity I already own both but still, wow!

Might grab Malicious, but Sine Mora and Velocity Ultra don’t look like my kinda thing.

Great update guys!

Never got why people considered Catherine to be special. Yes, the game story is crazy, seems well done and is probably fun too. But the game itself? Played the demo, it was just another puzzle game.

Malicious also seems rather weak, so not really the best month for the PS3. Vita on the other hand seems good. I liked Sine Mora and Velocity was a great Mini title.

aodhanman 17 April, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   38

nice one playstation.

i certainly remember velocity, the mini was great.

is there any chance of a ratchet and clank sale in the near future?

Not too crazy about all those shoot ‘em ups for Vita, but given that you gave away a text heavy puzzle game this month, I understand why you’d want to give twitchy-action fans something this time. Catherine and Hitman are very nice though.

@TheReaper50
Different continent, different publisher.

Faustofausto 17 April, 2013 @ 12:25 pm   41

OMG, amazing update!!! :D
Anyway, there should be more titles at the Plus Trial section.

TerrorOfDeath86 17 April, 2013 @ 12:26 pm   42

Awesome! Thank you for your prompt reply to my post, I was skeptical as I couldn’t find the game on the store before.

Tagged_Deaf 17 April, 2013 @ 12:26 pm   43

Nice offering for May.

Already got that Hitman game and it’s great one. Also sold Catherine game as my mind isn’t exactly made for a puzzle games but certainly going to download it sometimes.

Malicious looks interesting enough to give it a try.

Already looking forward to what you’re going to offer for June IGC! :-)

Roelliej 17 April, 2013 @ 12:27 pm   44

Damn, stellar work guys! I have yet to play Okami, The Cave, DOA5, LOTR: WitN, Quantum Conundrum and more. It’s finally spring in the Netherlands, but apparently I’m too busy playing awesome games this summer :’)

#34 TheReaper50
Deep Silver are the rights holder in the EU, but yes, the game is Atlus.

DENIO_007 17 April, 2013 @ 12:27 pm   46

Hey Chris are we getting 6 games next month since it’ll be June and I think that’s when InFamous 2, LBP2 and Motostorm expire? And if so will the games replacing it also be Sony’s games?

As for tips for future games, could you look into Ico and SotC HD? Prince of Persion (HD or the 2008 reboot) would also be quite nice.

Also slightly unrelated but could you get the DMC4 digital version on store from Capcom?

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:34 pm

We will be looking to update the PS3 long term titles soon but at the moment I can’t say anything I am afraid… sorry!

Osahi_be 17 April, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   47

Great update! That’s why I own all the titles that I’m interested in on the list allready (Catherine is a BLAST!)

That’s the catch-22 of the subscription I suppose. You want great free titles, but those you’re interested the most you just buy at launch. Not to say it isn’t a great service to try out games you’d never play otherwise (or pick up that one title you’d had to skip while making choices, like Okami HD!).

Glad Velocity is in it though. Was in doubt of getting the HD remake or not (loved the original, but yeah, it is for the most part the same game and not a sequel), now I don’t have to doubt anymore

DiscworldDeath 17 April, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   48

Chris, contacting Atlus is impossible, any idea why Riviera, Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare aren’t available in Israel, why Jeanne D’Arc isn’t available for Europe at all?

Also, some games are just weird, when the PSP version of God of War Ghost of Sparta is unavailable and the PS3 version is (or is it PS2?)

Aside from the USA games being effectively 23-25% cheaper for me, the fact that a great many games I am interested in aren’t even available (though they were sold in stores here at the time, Disgaea 1-2, where are you?) is really disheartening.

govind_b 17 April, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   49

love the selection, PS+ ftw!

Just one question, any plans for the addition of Dishonored into IGC?

Chris Howe 17 April, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Unfortuantely Dishonored is not available in quite a few territories at present so unless we can find a solution to that and the publisher wishes to participate in Plus we won’t be getting it anytime soon

michelle_tabor 17 April, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   50

Fantastic :)

I’ve been interested in Catherine for a while so pleased about this. Bit annoyed I bought Hitman a week or 2 before they announced it but that’s how it goes. I love playstation plus :D

Load all