Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:00pm

BEYOND: Two Souls box art revealed

Today we’re very pleased to unveil our packshot for BEYOND: Two Souls, due for release in October for PlayStation 3.

PS3_3D english

We worked together with the team at Quantic Dream to choose an image that we felt was both cinematic and in keeping with the emotional journey that the final game will take you on. We hope you like it.

Developing the pack front for a game like BEYOND is always an exciting challenge. BEYOND is so unique in the sense that it spans a character’s entire lifetime and takes place in such a vast array of locations and situations, that picking a singular image to represent the game effectively really does feel like digging for a needle in a haystack. What age do we want Jodie to be in the image? Do we include co-star Willem Dafoe? Do you show Jodie doing something dynamic or do we show her more at peace? These are all questions – among a great deal of others – we had to ask ourselves throughout the process.

Ultimately, we decided on the packshot you see above because it felt sophisticated, mature and different from most traditional game packaging, and it really captures the emotion Ellen Page conveyed in her performance as Jodie. The image of Jodie at peace in the eye of the storm really speaks to her constant battle with the incredible gift she’s been given.

Next week, on Saturday 27th April, BEYOND will be screened at the Tribeca Film Festival, followed by a panel featuring writer/director David Cage and actress Ellen Page. Stay tuned next week on PlayStation Blog for details of how you can watch this event via a live stream.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

42 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first
BiosNova 18 April, 2013 @ 4:06 pm   1

Awesome

Certinty 18 April, 2013 @ 4:07 pm   2

Looks like a movie poster more than anything else.

silkandskin 18 April, 2013 @ 4:07 pm   3

Sexy.

Chaosprower 18 April, 2013 @ 4:08 pm   4

Sigh…If there were a PS Vita or a PS4 port of it…

Neochaos 18 April, 2013 @ 4:08 pm   5

Very nice!!!

Looks COOL:P

chrisboers 18 April, 2013 @ 4:15 pm   7

NOOO a WOMAN on the cover. This game is dooooomed!

Kidding of course, I really like it. Really sophisticated! Please don’t make a reversable cover. This one suffices.

I like it, very striking.

Darkreaper006 18 April, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   9

pitty there should be a Ps Vita or Ps4 port of this

Phalansa 18 April, 2013 @ 4:29 pm   10

Great cover guys, immediately attracts your attention, especially that light flare on the right side will stand out in on the shelves.

And yeah, I too would like to see a Vita port of this game. Some great story during the many travels would be a very nice addition.

toxic-inferno 18 April, 2013 @ 4:31 pm   11

I love it! Really out there, and does a fantastic job of suggesting that the game blurs the line between game and film!

Fantastic box art!

toxic-inferno 18 April, 2013 @ 4:32 pm   12

Also, comparing this to the boxart that amazon.co.uk currently have listed, I MUCH prefer this version!

I’m looking so forward to this game!

On the cover, hate it. I would rather see a movie poster like with all main charactters. But it’s the game that counts. Any change on a collectors edition like Heavy Rain?

Sarajevo89 18 April, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   14

Very cool,looks like movie poster which is ok with me but very unusual for games box art.Is there any other game where you have actors names on cover? I don’t think so but I think it could help the sales.Also,colors seem to be implemented in nice fashion…I really expect this game to be a breath of fresh air on the market suffocated by fps.Heavy Rain was very good.

Wow, it looks like a film cover ! Too bad that no reasonable movie company would ever work with David Cage, the king of horrible, overhyped scripts.

supersmith2500 18 April, 2013 @ 4:46 pm   16

Pure amazing box art. Just like the DVD boxart with the names on the front. =D

Cage you are the legend.

MordecaiHunter 18 April, 2013 @ 4:47 pm   17

The game has been on top off my wishlist since my jaw dropped when i first seen the trailer

i cant wait to see what Quantic Dream can do with the ps4,

Stonesthrow 18 April, 2013 @ 4:54 pm   18

Not a fan of close ups but in this case it works well. Her face portrays somewhat of a fearless and concentrated look in my opinion, I absolutely love what these guys do in terms of emotional involvement and Heavy rain will always be one of my favorite games.
Will be a hard wait for October.

Boomtonic 18 April, 2013 @ 5:03 pm   19

Beautiful! One of the best box arts I have seen and I think it really fits this game. Don’t change a thing!

dark_angel69 18 April, 2013 @ 5:32 pm   20

Looks really nice. Would look good in the collection. lol. Should put a poster of it inside the box :P

andrewsqual 18 April, 2013 @ 6:01 pm   21

This is gorgeous looking but please could you link to, or show us it, in 2D as well.
You have been doing this lately with a lot of games like Soul Sacrifice, Puppeteer, Tearaway and now this. Could you link us to a 2D version of the packshot too please.
This time in a week this picture STILL won’t be on websites like gamestop.co.uk or Zavvi becasue you don’t give out the 2D covers.

Fred Dutton 19 April, 2013 @ 9:37 am

I’ll check with the art team this morning and see if we have a 2D version for you.

MrHabushi 18 April, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   22

Will this be the box art for all regions, or will it be different for North America like Heavy Rain?

Falcon1991 18 April, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   23

Very pretty.

Can’t wait to get my copy, either on release day or Christmas.

Zonoscope 18 April, 2013 @ 6:18 pm   24

Love the cover. By now this is definetly my most anticipated game, this year.

My_NaNa-10 18 April, 2013 @ 7:49 pm   25

Awesome Official Cover Art!! Great job guys!! Just have a question though: is this also going to be on that steel book case for us that pre-ordered? remember? you guys will automatically up us to the Special Edition when we pre-ordered and we will get a steel case with it and other goodies! Thanks!!

Ross Alexander 23 April, 2013 @ 9:44 am

Our US office will be announcing their steel book design at a later date.

Probably Game Of the Year. It’s a great way to end the PS3 cycle for me :)

Coody-Baroody 18 April, 2013 @ 10:58 pm   27

@ ROSS ALEXANDER

As your job title states, Euro product manager SCEE, maybe you can answer a question for me? You see, whenever a new boxart is revealed, EVERYONE gets caught up with what the front of the box looks like but NOBODY ever looks for the bit of ths box we will actually be able to see for the vast majority of the time we own the game; the SPINE.

So, my question is, why is it that ALL Sony games here in the EU have the totally rubbish PS2 type font on the spine whereas in the US, every Sony game has the actual games title graphical emblem/badge/logo/icon on the spine. Here in the EU we get this with all other publishers games on their spines but Sony games spines PS2 tyoe font on the spine sticks out like an ugly duckling next to all other publishers games.

Why is it that PS2 type font here but NOT in the US?

Coody-Baroody 18 April, 2013 @ 11:05 pm   28

@ ROSS ALEXANDER

If you need an example of what i mean, if you yourself have a collection of PS3 games, take a look at a Sony games spine and compare it to a CALLof DUTY games spine or a Fifa games spine. Call of Duty is the actual Call of Duty badge on the spine as is Fifas but any and ALL Sony games (wont matter which one you have, theyre all the same) will either be the old type PS2 font, black on a white spine or white font on coloured spine but still the old PS2 font.

But in the US, all their Sony games are the same on their spines as the Call of Dutys and fifas out there. Can you tell me why this is? im very curious.

Willie699 19 April, 2013 @ 12:00 am   29

Cover looks great. A lot of respect has to be given to Sony and Quantic Dream for the decision to show a female protagonist on the cover, regardless if its a recognisable actress. Especially just after the issue surrounding the Bioshock Infinite cover and Ken Levine’s statements in regards to marketing issues if there isnt an inference that there will be guns or explosions in the game. Day one buy.

DAY ONE!

DAY ONE

redalertrules 19 April, 2013 @ 1:26 am   32

Hi fred can you please tell us how much longer we have to wait until we can pre order that limited edition that the US has? Its been quite awhile now and want to pre pay off

Fred Dutton 19 April, 2013 @ 9:39 am

Ross is out of the office today but as soon as he’s back I’ll ask for an update on the pre-order situation.

Ross Alexander 23 April, 2013 @ 9:47 am

We’ll have more details very soon. Everything has been finalised and we’re expecting to announce this any day now.

Tagged_Deaf 19 April, 2013 @ 7:34 am   33

Such a striking box art cover.

Let’s hope that it’d be just great game as Heavy Rain.

Totally going to get it when it’s out.

brianmini 19 April, 2013 @ 10:46 am   34

You guys and cover art! I hark from the era (1980′s) when cover art sucked you in and the game play was nothing like the cover.

Whats more important, cover art or gameplay/graphics?

Very beautiful

TINTINTB303 19 April, 2013 @ 3:25 pm   36

@ andrewsqual

CVG has a 2D copy of the box art up on their website.

Hope that helps. :-)

left4bread3 19 April, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   37

Ellen Page FTW. Dare I say im looking forward to this more than TLoU?

alex121985 19 April, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   38

Really good choice that

Stonesthrow 20 April, 2013 @ 1:43 am   39

@37 You and me both pal, although that sounds almost impossible.

Who says there needs to be a person holding a gun on the front cover now then?

Great cover and cant wait to play it!

Hoshimax 23 April, 2013 @ 9:12 pm   41

Nice, I totally love the boxart! Now we only need an awesome Special Edition to place right next to my Heavy Rain CE. ^^

PATOOPALIT 13 May, 2013 @ 11:08 pm   42

Two things: firstly, I’ve seen a dark green cover for this game showing her face, like this, but it also shows Jodie in a forest. Where is it for/from? Are they actually using it?
Secondly, in the article who is “we” referring to, if not Quantic Dream?