Posted 2:00pm

PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection poll – the results are in!

PS-Plus-1024x576

Hi everyone! I know you’ve been waiting a little while but I am happy to say that the results are now in for the PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection (IGC) poll that we ran back in February.

Firstly, I want to say a big thank you to everyone who took the time to read, participate in and feedback on the Blog. We had over 450 comments providing some great insights into your views on the service and some great suggestions for future Plus titles!

PlayStation Plus is a hugely important part of PlayStation now and we believe it’s providing an incredible service that offers excellent value for money for gamers. This value comes not just through the games in the IGC, but also in the 2GB cloud-based storage available, the exclusive Plus discounts and early access to betas and demos, amongst other benefits.

But our subscribers are part of PlayStation Plus because they love gaming, and it’s the games that really drive the service. Since its introduction in June 2012, subscribers have been able to download an array of fantastic titles such as Red Dead Redemption, Batman: Arkham City, Sleeping Dogs and, as of next month, Hitman Absolution. It’s hard to put a figure on what all these titles together are worth but when you think about it €49.99/£39.99 for a one year subscription for these games alone seems pretty good value, right?

Anyway I’m getting off track! We received a huge number of votes for this poll – over 73,000 in fact! Below you can see the votes broken down by game genre. As you can see, the three genres which came out on top were shooters, RPGs and action adventure titles. That certainly aligns with all the previous feedback we have received and with our subscriber base spending close to a whopping six million gaming hours on just Sleeping Dogs and Batman: Arkham City alone, I’d like to think that we are on the right track in meeting your needs!

Plus poll

That said, I don’t want anyone to panic and think that based on the results we’re going to focus all our efforts on solely securing these sorts of titles for the service. PlayStation Plus is a service for everyone and we will continue to strive to provide a variety of content to cater for all tastes.

If you didn’t get the opportunity to take part in the poll then fear not – keep your eyes on PlayStation Blog for more opportunities to give us your feedback soon!

And if you are not currently a subscriber but like the sound of the service then visit our PlayStation Plus site  to find out more. Here you’ll find all the information you need about a one year subscription to the Instant Game Collection, available for a one-off payment of just €49.99/£39.99.

Remember, if you’ve not got access to your PS3 or PS Vita then you can also buy through our online store .

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

138 Comments 14 Author replies
Show oldest first

zedmayer 22 April, 2013 @ 2:01 pm   1

So what is the next RPG we will see? ;)

andrewsqual 22 April, 2013 @ 2:07 pm   2

Hi Chris. Any information yet on how Plus will work on PS4? If it is a separate service or not? Or could you confirm if there will be announcements at E3? Pretty please?

Darkos87 22 April, 2013 @ 2:08 pm   3

So there’s about 1 million playstation subscribers? assuming they each spent 1 hour in each game (that’s being conservative, as hardcore gamers are more likely to spend more time per game)

Just a wild guesstimate, but it’s probably in that ballpark

Wowee-Zowee 22 April, 2013 @ 2:10 pm   4

Dark Souls?

Terarded 22 April, 2013 @ 2:11 pm   5

im kind of disgraced that first person shooters got so high up but at least the two that i voted for came 1st and second :)

Nightmare966 22 April, 2013 @ 2:13 pm   6

Interesting results… Well, I expected RPG to be demanded, since we haven’t had many of them. But the rest seem accurate to gaming numbers in general.

BTW, how do you know what we’ve been playing…? :P

Thanks for giving us an opportunity to give feedback! :)

Thesnipergecko 22 April, 2013 @ 2:15 pm   8

I too would like to know more details on PS4/Plus details.

My Plus sub runs out in the next few months, I don’t want to buy 12 months again if it’s not going to carry across to PS4.

Chris Howe 22 April, 2013 @ 4:56 pm

Sorry as above, we don’t actually have any information that we can share at the moment, I like to think the Plus service at the moment is doing a pretty good job of satisfying your gaming needs :)

BlinkCoLT 22 April, 2013 @ 2:15 pm   9

Hi Chris, I was dreaming about Driver: San Francisco. Is there any chance do see this game in IGC?

TheNarrator 22 April, 2013 @ 2:16 pm   10

am quite surprised that Multiplayer option is so far down the list, though Action/Adventure covers quite a wide range of games too.

hopefully this will help get even more awesome games we want with Plus :)

RandyVie86 22 April, 2013 @ 2:18 pm   11

I think its interesting that multiplayer scores so low on this chart.

I do hope that we will be getting some cool (J)RPG’s in the future :) and that we won’t get spammed with too much schooters :p

PS Plus is most defenitly one of the best subscriptions i have EVER owned! On any platform, be it printed magazines, online services or whatever. PS+ is the best!

Not bad at all! It actually represents almost 1:1 my personal preferences. Guess that means that I’m the average guy in person. ;)

I’d probably have rated Racing before Platformers. And Fighting games even lower, though I’m glad that they are so far behind. Never understood why they got so much attention on Plus (including the Beat ‘em ups). And in NA it’s even worse.

RandyVie86 22 April, 2013 @ 2:26 pm   13

@ #9 : BlinkColT

I bought driver SF dome time ago, when it was realy cheap, and i did not expect that i would enjoy that game so much, i realy recommend it!

Toothball 22 April, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   14

I listed Okami back in February and it appeared. I’ve also been enjoying Virtue’s Last Reward a great deal, which I probably would have overlooked if it hadn’t been on PS+. My only problem with PS+ is that there are more games on it than I have time to play, which is one of those good problems to have.

bLaiSe_HUN 22 April, 2013 @ 2:28 pm   15

Hey Chris, thanks for the chart. It’s good to see my favourite genres in the top 3.
You previously hinted that Dragon’s Dogma or Demon’s Souls might join the IGC. Please make it happen. :)

DiscworldDeath 22 April, 2013 @ 2:28 pm   16

RPGs for everyone!

I love fighting games, but I think we can have a few less of those, and a few more RPGs, and even if we get a lot of fighting games, I think we can have one up every 2-4 months, not have one replace another each time one goes down ;)

I hope by RPG means JRPG too :D

jfontyman 22 April, 2013 @ 2:38 pm   18

PS+ and PS4?

C’mon people you are asking the unaskable, it is too early and we will most likely have to wait at least 6 months into the consoles life cycle, use the Vita as an example as to when it came out and when PS+ was available for Vita.

PS…..I liked sleeping dogs

BrianDamage7 22 April, 2013 @ 2:39 pm   19

Thanks for the results Chris! It’s always good to know what everyone else wants from the service. Can you give any details about if and when Infamous2, LBP2 and the others will rotate out. Will it be June?

Chris Howe 22 April, 2013 @ 4:59 pm

At present these are schedule to be changed in June, I don’t see that changing but at the moment we don’t have details about what they will change to

darkdudes_2 22 April, 2013 @ 2:42 pm   20

Is it save to buy Assassins creed liberation, Lego Lord of the Rings(RPG :D) or far cry 3?^^

Chris Howe 22 April, 2013 @ 5:01 pm

You are safe to buy AC Liberatino and Far Cry 3 for now, Lego is a little 50 / 50!

Stonesthrow 22 April, 2013 @ 2:43 pm   21

Was to be expected. They take the longest to complete afterall. Good to see puzzle last, don’t like those in general.

PIREDERAS 22 April, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   22

I want to thank the PSN team for the IGC initiative. It’s got a tremendous value for money. And not only that, for the same overall price, we receive all those games (most of them being AAA games, to boot!) on both PS3 and PS Vita! I expect the service to continue on the PS4, when it launches!

I would like to finally see some real RPG games on the IGC. Especially JRPGs. And please, Mass Effect 3 is an excellent game (beat it twice), but it is more of a shooter than a RPG. And maybe some PS Move titles (Sorcery, some fitness game, or anything casual) here and there would be nice, too.

RoaringMdog18 22 April, 2013 @ 2:45 pm   23

Did not see that coming. Its nice to that people want RPG’s. It would be great if the ps+ team could secure Dragons Dogma for us ^^

TheGordito 22 April, 2013 @ 2:49 pm   24

Kinda off-topic, but I always forget to ask when the new monthly content is announced. Are there any plans for DC Universe Online offers for Plus?

Chris Howe 22 April, 2013 @ 5:05 pm

Not really through Plus, the DC Universe team are always looking to discount items though so keep an eye out.

As far as the Plus content announcement goes its generally in the middle of the month

@Chris
I wonder how you’ll solve the request for Sports games.
We’ll never see FIFA for obvious reasons, while Baseball or NFL are pointless in Europe for equally obvious reasons. ;)

Perhaps you should do another poll which sports are most popular among subscribers (besides football)? I’d guess that NHL would be the best compromise. What about PES?

Chris Howe 22 April, 2013 @ 5:07 pm

Nice idea Golwar, the poll seems to work effectively. I guess the issue with sports games is that they are a niche genre so we could struggle to please a large proportion of people judging by the results above

Bjarno86 22 April, 2013 @ 2:52 pm   26

Please let Demon’s Souls be the next RPG to join PS+ ;)

RandyVie86 22 April, 2013 @ 3:01 pm   27

The only problem i keep having with the service is that eveytime i wan’t to buy (an older) game, i’m on the fence whater i might possibly be in the IGC annytime soon, i realy wan’t to buy Demon Souls (it’s rather cheap too boot!). + i’m in the happit of jumping on games a hole lot latter than most people, so there’s that.

There are some factors that you i use too consider if a game will be IGC, like, if there is a sequal announced, chances are there will be a sale or IGC addition :), allthough, ME3 and Hitman are totally unexpected, and realy great!

Odd why people demand Demon’s Souls so often. That game was already available for less than 20€ 2-3 years ago. Not to mention that it’s full of tempting glitches.

ashton_philip 22 April, 2013 @ 3:07 pm   29

Really happy to see RPG’s in there and when I get money enough again (most likely around June) I will definitely be signing up to Plus for a year. If it carries over to the to PS4 even better. Also loving that RPG’s have made their way to the top of the list (what my vote was for) as I love a good RPG especially JRPG’s which I hope will be added and some of the other commenters seem to agree (and critics say JRPG’s are dead ;)

adamteee 22 April, 2013 @ 3:07 pm   30

Great to see that RPGs are rated so high, that’s awesome, been reading through the comments and everyone wants dragons dogma on the IGC, I already own it on disc but would prefer it digitally too so yeah, it gets my vote too haha

Jestersoil 22 April, 2013 @ 3:11 pm   31

GREAT!
my 3 best categories came all first!!! :D :D :D
can’t wait for June’s update! IGC birthday ;)

Well, to me it’s clear: Dragon’s Dogma, Uncharted 3, Mafia 2 en Max Payne 3 for IGC. We all want it :)

dark_angel69 22 April, 2013 @ 3:15 pm   33

Nice results there. Was expecting RPG to higher than shooters. Nice to see most people here agree with that genre but hope it doesn’t mean we get too many of them in a row. A mixer of everything is still good. Suppose Dragons dogma like the rest are saying is a nice game indeed. As long as it’s not Dead Island, any game is good enough. Dead Island Riptide review is up on Kotaku and it sounds just as bad as the 1st.

Carnivius_Prime 22 April, 2013 @ 3:21 pm   34

The cloud saving is 2GB now? I must have missed that. Not that I’m even remotely anywhere near using up the 1GB. I definitely did use up the intial 150MB or however much it was when it was first introduced. The cloud saving is one of my favourite features of PS Plus. It’s a comforting thought knowing all those hours of gameplay are backed up onto a server somewhere I can always retrieve them if I have another PS3 hard drive malfunction. :)

I have a good feeling we will see Kingdoms of Amalur coming to the IGC.
(Im not complaining, ive never played it :p )

But i really wouldn’t mind demon souls.
I own demon and dark souls on disc, and not having to put the disc in to die, will definitely increase my playtime :)

I think the games by IGC has been fantastic so far. It has had a good mix of the typical fare and more unusual games. Even though I voted for the two highest rated in the poll I would be happy with any genre of game.

The only thing I am finding bizarre is the lack of full games to purchase on PSN. I have become accustom to digital games thanks to PS+ but the majority of the exclusive older games I actually want to buy aren’t available on PSN.

Anyway, good work SCEE with PS+ the offerings appear to be far superior to the other SCE territories and have made me a happy customer.

RandyVie86 22 April, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   37

i don’t expect dragons dogma in the IGC annytime soon, with
Dragons Dogma: Dark Arisen (a rerelease) on the horizon

Bjarno86 22 April, 2013 @ 3:47 pm   38

@Carnivius_Prime

It’s 1 gig on PS3 and 1 gig on Vita.

vonhammer 22 April, 2013 @ 3:48 pm   39

Anyone want a 30 day plus trial? You cant use on an account that has already had plus. And because it came with the UK GOW:A I’ll only take responses from UK folks.

Chris,any hints if Fire Pro returns PS2 classic is hitting the EU store?

When + started it wasn’t for me but when you started the new + I was in and love it.

It would be nice to see a move game now and then. Just as an extra because not everyone has a move controler. My move doesn’t get any use but maybe you can get the thing more on the front of my thoughts and would it help. Also most move games are also for kids so customers with kids would have something nice for the little ones now and then.

Skookie30 22 April, 2013 @ 3:54 pm   41

That good poll I’m glad RPG is top & puzzle last because past 2 months we had puzzles games so no MORE they won’t be RPG as IGC because they not enough of them. :|

Carnivius_Prime 22 April, 2013 @ 4:00 pm   42

@Bjarno86 Ah that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. That’s still 2GB total for users of both PS3 and Vita. I’ll make use of that extra space when I get myself a Vita. :D

Magoo_222 22 April, 2013 @ 4:02 pm   43

I’m a massive fan of Plus, it’s given me the opportunity to try lots of games that I otherwise wouldn’t have, across all sorts of genres. But I’m a bit confused by the results here. From reading the comments on the original poll, everyone was clamouring for more RPGs and less shooters. And yet the poll shows ~10000 people asked for more shooters. Silent majority?

@Magoo_222
Less shooters /= no shooters.
Did you expect shooters to drop behind Puzzle games? The third spot is absolutely fine.

Personally I hope Dragon’s Dogma doesn’t become a part of the IGC mainly because Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen is out in 4 days and you can pre-order it from Zavvi for £16.95 as it includes the original game and all the dlc. Which is a bargain, it’s even suppose to be on the store for £19.95 which is incredibly cheap for what you will be getting.

It’s good to see that RPG’s came out on top, shows people actually want a story when they play a game. The same can be said for Action/Adventure games both Sleeping Dogs and RDR both had compelling stories and worlds you wanted to explore.

I’d like to see sales on dlc for RPG games such as Kingdom’s of Amalur, Dragon’s Age II. Actually the original Dragon’s Age would be a good game for IGC especially as Bioware likes to incorporate choices that effect the next game in the series. Rune Factory Oceans would be good, Legasista as well. I think I would prefer Dark Souls over Demon Souls.

Would love to see EDF 2017 as part of the IGC being action/adventure/shooter and multiplayer would be a good title.

Jacko_the_lad 22 April, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   46

Oh great, now we’re going to get loads of boring RPG’s. :|

Chris Howe 22 April, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

As above, we won’t use these results to ensure that every game is an RPG or Shooter. Plus is a service for everyone so variety is key!

Magoo_222 22 April, 2013 @ 4:19 pm   47

@Golwar – I realise that, it’s just that I don’t remember seeing anyone say they were going to vote for them. I’m not opposed to them either, just thought it was quite odd seeing them so high!

@Magoo_222
Well I guess that’s because there is no requirement to be too vocal about shooters.
They are the most frequently produced games. And the most shared via Plus. So no surprise that people didn’t see the requirement to demand them in their comments. ;)

Carnivius_Prime 22 April, 2013 @ 4:32 pm   49

@magoo_222 who’s ‘everyone’? I’m no fan of RPGs. I like shooters but not first person ones…

supersmith2500 22 April, 2013 @ 4:34 pm   50

Hmm, so it least 15K people want more RPG’s and more Action games? One problem, you offered us WAY too many puzzlers and less RPG’s but crappy one to be in fact. =\

Load all