Posted 5:00pm

Thomas Was Alone out tomorrow for PS Vita and PS3

8662947813_8a6bbb2965_o

It’s done.

A game which began as a Flash game made over a weekend because my girlfriend was away and I was a bit bored, is coming out tomorrow on PS3 and PS Vita via PSN and PS+.

That last sentence was a bit of a mouthful. I apologise.

Thomas Was Alone is a game about friendship and jumping. As you can see from the images and videos no doubt littered amongst this post, it is also very much about rectangles. If you’ve got PS Plus and you’re in the EU, you can download the game as part of the IGC at no additional cost. Which is awesome.

This version will also give you first access to some new stuff. There’s a new DLC episode which tells the story of Benjamin, a new square with a jetpack and big ideas, and a commentary mode in the main game where you can listen to me going on and on about how clever I was putting the game together.

It’s spellbinding. I’m listening to it as I write this, because I’m on a train and it’s either that or Bowie’s new album, which I’ve listened to twice. You should really listen to Bowie’s album too. I’m not here to plug that though, so will move on.

8664047962_ba6f831319_o8664046028_3f0df74d28_o

I’d very much like to take this opportunity to thank Curve Studios, who made this version of the game. They did a great job, and it plays really nicely. They are better coders than I am. I’d also like to thank Bossa for doing an awesome job of getting the word out.

And once more thank you, Sony. Sony is a mega corporation; a big goliath of awesome tech and excellent button iconography. And for some reason, known best to themselves, they decided they wanted to let us indies play with their toys. Thomas is one of a massive wave of upcoming indie titles, which I hope will find whole new audiences. If you’ve never played an indie game before, take a chance on one of these games (not necessarily mine, obviously). We’d like to give you the opportunity to play slightly, well, differently.

I can’t wait to see what you guys think of our little game.

8662945917_a9ed8de781_o

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

48 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first
AngeAlexiel 23 April, 2013 @ 5:03 pm   1

even iphone games looks better, i wonder what price it will be …

Certinty 23 April, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   2

“Thomas Was Alone out tomorrow for PS Vita and PS3″
“is today coming out on PS3 and PS Vita via PSN and PS+.”

These copy and paste jobs are really getting annoying when simple things aren’t even being corrected and it’s clear SCEA is your guys main priority

Anyway the game looks good and I’m excited to give it a try tomorrow.

Fred Dutton 23 April, 2013 @ 5:16 pm

Apologies, that was my mistake. No copying and pasting involved – just a simple, momentary lapse in concentration while tweaking the scheduling of the post.

ste_the_legend 23 April, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   3

Heard lots of good things about this and it proves you can’t judge a book by its cover. Looking forward to checking it out. Free for PS+ I seem to recall?

Mr-Humpage 23 April, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   4

Free for PS3 as well? That is an absolute touch. Great work Sony & Indie devs, can’t wait for a hands-on

TINTINTB303 23 April, 2013 @ 5:17 pm   5

@AngeAlexiel

You really shouldn’t judge a book by it’s cover.

This game is GREAT!! ;-)

supersmith2500 23 April, 2013 @ 5:17 pm   6

Hope to god it doesn’t flop like Chronovolt. I’ll check the reviews first before considering buying err I mean downloading it for free via Plus. To be honest, I get bored quick with side-scrolling plaforming puzzlers. Knytt Underground and The Cave is also a same genre to me so I could pass.

supersmith2500 23 April, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   7

So wait, is the PS3 version free as well or is it Vita only?

Vector graphics with some particle FX thrown in? How very dare they choose such a style!

Nice to see 4xMSAA in the new screenshots. Only issue I’m seeing is the spikes aren’t benefitting and they don’t blend with the blocks they’re attached to.

Looks really cool and that review from Thesixthaxis made it clear that I will easily download it tomorrow for the psvita :).

Silurus 23 April, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   10

Been looking forward to this one. Looks great.

All those complaining about the gfx, your kind of missing the whole idea.

TINTINTB303 23 April, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   11

@Fred

Really, we understand why you and the US blog copy and paste from each other.

It is nearly word for word it’s the exact same post as the one on the US blog (except for dates/prices etc). Same screen shots but in a different order/layout.

Is Copy and Paste a dirty word in your line of work?? ;-)

Again, this is not an attack or a complaint but don’t insult our intelligence please. :-)

Fred Dutton 23 April, 2013 @ 5:38 pm

It’s a dirty word, for sure! It implies lack of care! And we care, promise :)

Obviously we share announcements with each other – posts from US developers generally originate from US Blog, while EU dev posts from EU Blog – such as Thomas ;) But we always do our due dilligence!

Anyway, great game this one – I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

TINTINTB303 23 April, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   12

Great news about this being on PS3 and Vita for PS+.

Original plan was it just to be a Vita PS+ title wasn’t it??

Good job :-D

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 6:07 pm

I think we always wanted both :) but yeah, excited about crossbuy and syncing between systems.. how I intend to play it :)

torchedEARTH 23 April, 2013 @ 5:45 pm   13

No mention of Terraria – as expected. We won’t get it in Europe.

F3l1xbxb 23 April, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   14

seriously? 9 dollares in psn usa? this kind of game? for a weekend game?? not getting my money…

Neochaos 23 April, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   15

Price for non PS+ PSN Users?

TINTINTB303 23 April, 2013 @ 5:52 pm   16

@Fred

Do you copy and paste the announcements?? You have to love semantics. ;-)

Keep up the great work anyway matey. I have to say that out of the entire team you’re the one who gives decent answers and can also give as good as he gets. :-)

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   17

Hello! Mike here, using the login information I got last time I wrote on here, and hoping it still works.

Just wanted to add some awesome EU only content..

Um. I think the new Daft Punk single is arguably as good as a few of the tracks on the Bowie album referenced in main article.

There you go.

Excited to give you some exclusive EU only content.

I’ll be hanging out on this comment section for a bit if anyone wants to ask any questions :)

RossyWilson 23 April, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   18

Hi Mike. I agree the new daft punk single is awesome isnt it. Anyway the game looks really awesome and im looking forward to playing it.

I was just wondering how long it took you to make the game and how much help you had to make the pc version. Also why would you say that so many indie devs are bringing their games out on vita all of a sudden :)

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 6:22 pm

hey Rossy,

Umm.. so, original game started as a gamejam, but I realised people dug the core idea.. so decided to expand it into a ‘real’ game. From there, I developed it in free unity in my evenings and weekends around a day job for about a year and a half.. launched it full indie, then on steam.

6 months later, and I am now running my own games company (just me, so not that impressive) and launching on Vita/PS3.. well worth the effort :)

and on the indies on playstation question.. It’s because Sony rock. They are coming after the games they like and doing loads to help us get them to you. Very exciting times for little guys like me :)

So is the DLC a separate thing to buy or is it included with this release?

This looks interesting to try out!

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 6:23 pm

yep, DLC is a prequel type thing with new story, music, characters etc.. it’s £1.99 :)

Catkiller1 23 April, 2013 @ 6:32 pm   20

@ Mike

I will purchase the DLC to support you.

Well done & I hope we see more from you in the not so distant future!

Kind Regards

RossyWilson 23 April, 2013 @ 6:49 pm   21

Running your own company with one person is still pretty impressive in my book :) Can you publish games for free that you made in Unity or do you need to upgrade to the paid version before you can start making money from it?

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

on PC / Mac / Linux yes.. I think there’s a cap if you make £100k, but by that point, you don’t mind paying :)

I needed to buy pro unity for database interaction stuff (which is needed to do steam achievements) and yeah, you’d also need to buy to dev for playstation etc :)

TINTINTB303 23 April, 2013 @ 7:02 pm   22

@Mike

Did you ever have someone specific in mind to do the narration?? How did Danny Wallace end up getting the job??

I think he does a great job from what I’ve seen/heard. :-)

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 7:12 pm

I always wanted Danny.. I actually spent ages trying to find a ‘soundalike’.. one night I was a bit drunk, found his email on a fansite, and sent him a build. He’s a gamer, liked it, and agreed to do it there and then :)

He’s awesome. Won a BAFTA for it in fact :)

Kresnik258 23 April, 2013 @ 7:02 pm   23

This was a very interesting yet humble blog post.

I’ll be buying your game out of support, thanks for bringing it to Vita.

(Plus the fact that I didn’t play it on PC and it looks great, of course!)

RossyWilson 23 April, 2013 @ 7:03 pm   24

Would you say unity would be a good place to start to learn how to code and make games. I am currently studying computer arts so I kind of know what im doing from that side and i am subscribed to a site that has a load of beginners unity tutorials on it but im not sure if I should dive straight in there.
Sorry for going a bit off topic :/

Mike Bithell 23 April, 2013 @ 7:13 pm

yep. Unity is awesome. I’d never coded a proper game before using it. Now, 2 years later, *motions at everything going on*

bennyrafal 23 April, 2013 @ 7:05 pm   25

Lost Vikings with squares… cool, how about – X, O, Triangle and Square? ;)

Will try it as im Plus member, but – also interested in DLC

Welcome to the Family…

RossyWilson 23 April, 2013 @ 7:25 pm   26

Cheers. Thanks for answering my questions hopefully i will get some time to try it once this term is over. Looking forward to playing the game tomorrow aswell.

residentSteve 23 April, 2013 @ 7:50 pm   27

Getting a little bored of all these indie games recently I just don’t get why people like them they look like hd master system games.

Nightmare966 23 April, 2013 @ 8:47 pm   28

“…a new square with a jetpack and big ideas,…”

A square. With a jetpack.

.__.

Great to see this is coming to Plus in both versions — thanks Chris for that one.

Hi Mike, I do really like this sense of humor of yours :P I hope I can get sometime to play the game, even if at least on PS3, and check it out. I hope it challanges my intellect, which has unfortunetely been on vacation for far too long. No, really, even as simple as it seems I’m sure there’s been quite the work behind this and it seems one good kind of game to take a break with, I’ll make sure to play it on both consoles :D

sickpupp 23 April, 2013 @ 9:36 pm   29

You fool Mike! I was just about to buy the PC version when it was announced that it was coming to PSN (and free to Plus members.)

I’ll buy the DLC to make up for it.

clarkes1990 23 April, 2013 @ 10:15 pm   30

@Mike

Congrats on getting this awesome game onto PSN :)

When is the DLC expected to launch?
and will it add addition trophies to the game?

Mike Bithell 24 April, 2013 @ 12:32 am

DLC is launching now (so technically day one DLC, but yeah, devved after main game)

No achievements in the DLC..

I’m so looking forward to downloading this game but my only problem is soul sacrifice ,i can’t stop playing the demo : )
Loving my Vita

MaxDiehard 23 April, 2013 @ 11:57 pm   32

@Mike

Looking forward to playing this. :)

I’m an indie dev myself making a game for iOS. I’m just curious, how much is a Sony Dev license for PS Vita?

Mike Bithell 24 April, 2013 @ 12:33 am

I can’t go into specifics, but if you get in touch with Sony, they’ll be happy to chat it through with you. Awesome guys looking for cool indie stuff :D

Toa-Nuva 24 April, 2013 @ 7:36 am   33

Really looking forward to this. I’ve never actually heard of the game before it was announced for PS+, but now I’m really curious. The reviews I read sound promising, and I already fell in love with the soundtrack just by watching a trailer. ^^

²Mike Bithell: I think it’s great you’re here answering questions. Very interesting stuff! :-)

Are the subtitles in this game? :). My Playstation is in a noisy room sometimes and I want to follow the story as good as possible :).

Definitely buying the DLC :)

Hello Mike. I already have the game on Steam and it’s great, congratulations.

I wasn’t thinking on buying it again, but maybe the DLC will make me change my mind…

Ben_Toon 24 April, 2013 @ 11:03 am   36

Hi Mike,

Another question about Danny Wallice. After reading his books I’m a fan of his,but quite a few gamers dislike him because of his character in Assassin’s Creed being ‘annoying’. Were you not worried that this perception would adversely effect your game sales?
Already got the game on Steam, but might play the PS+ version instead

clarkes1990 24 April, 2013 @ 1:26 pm   37

@Mike

Ah, shame there’s no trophies on the DLC,
But it’s still a must buy for me :)
Love the game!

Do you have more DLC planned?

Nightmare966 24 April, 2013 @ 4:28 pm   38

Hi Mike, just letting you know that I started playing this a few hours ago, and played it for 30-45 minutes (had to quit playing. I went completely blank into the game (besides knowing it was about moving a rectangle). And… WOW. Didn’t expect Danny Wallice (first thing I thought was “Isn’t this Shaun’s voice, from AC?”) didn’t expect those story drops here and there, and really didn’t expect the rectangles/cubes to have those personalities. I mean, they’re cubes, but have feelings. Really, really fun altoegether, and really nice puzzles, you really got me at two or three :P

sparkkydd 24 April, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   39

Hi Mike I downloaded this an hour ago, played it for about 30 mins then I cloud synced the save and then switched to the Vita and cloud synced again from the vita, it said synced but I had to start from the beginning on the vita. So I think the save didn’t crossover to the VITA please check it out. Thanks! :)

sparkkydd 24 April, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   40

continuation from my previous post. I forgot to mention I started out on the PS3 then switched to the Vita

johnnycide 25 April, 2013 @ 12:24 am   41

@Mike
1. Good shout on Bowie, I’ve had that album a couple of weeks and it’s excellent.
2. It’s your fault that I was late for work today, as I was playing Thomas was Alone. It made me smile a lot and it’s really nice, a real triumph of ideas and gameplay over visuals. Great game, can’t wait to see what you do next.

CHANG924 25 April, 2013 @ 10:52 am   42

Just wanted to say this game is absolutely incredible. the gameplay, the narration and music. really glad it was on PS+ because i might not have given it a chance. definitely will being supporting the game and putting money into the dlc

szczudel 26 April, 2013 @ 11:08 am   43

Normally I do not comment games. But this game is something, it IS SOMETHING.
As i first saw it I thought it would be some s*it with rectangles [with as poor gameplay as Knytt undeground]. But after minute with it I could not stop playing for 2 hours.

It is trully a gameplay masterpiece :)

supersmith2500 26 April, 2013 @ 11:42 am   44

Game looks really great and the voice over is amazing. Loved how the shapes has ”names” and not to mention. Amazing job. ^^

CoolRichy007UK 26 April, 2013 @ 12:02 pm   45

well done big mouth supersmith2500 i was gonna download the game but i wont bother now

i think sony should have a rule that if anyone ruins the game for other people sony removes everything they ever bought from ps store

dogwalker4000 26 April, 2013 @ 6:21 pm   46

Such an awesome game. Finished it already and was very impressed, will deffo pick up the DLC to show my support.

And Mr. Richy, how saying the shapes have names is spoiling things I’ll never know…Thomas (a name of one of the shapes) is in the title of the game…trolling this blog only makes you look silly sir.

supersmith2500 26 April, 2013 @ 6:49 pm   47

@CoolRichy007UK:
Let me ask you something ”CoolRichy”, are you Davie222 that had CoolRicky008 or are you CoolRichy008? And while you’re at it. I’m just going have to ignore you.

supersmith2500 26 April, 2013 @ 8:33 pm   48

@CoolRichy007UK:
Please read my message on the PS3. My last comment is held for pending approval.