Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 2:00pm

Men’s Room Mayhem enforces laws of the lav on PS Vita soon

Lead image Tutorial_Etiquette

Hi PlayStation Bog fans! My name is Phil Gaskell, I’ve worked on games such as Super Stardust HD and Dead Nation. These days I run an indie publisher called Ripstone. We helped teams like Voofoo Studios launch Pure Chess last year, and more recently Big Sky Infinity and Knytt Underground. We love indies and we love the PS Vita, and I can’t wait to share with you some of the awesome shizzle we’re working on this year!

Today though I’m very proud to announce a game we made together with Sawfly Studios, a team of talented guys who are ex-Studio Liverpool. The game is called Men’s Room Mayhem, and as you can probably guess from the title it takes toilet gaming to a whole new level! If I had to sum it up in a single sentence I’d say it’s like Flight Control meets Carry On At Your Convenience!

In Men’s Room Mayhem you’re hired as the janitor of your very own chaotic men’s room. You’re responsible for directing patrons, keeping everywhere sparkling clean and steering patrons away from trouble! You need to get your customers safely to the urinals and cubicles in time – otherwise there’ll be a few nasty accidents for you to clean up!

Avoid fights by strategically steering patrons past each other with pinpoint precision, but be careful, as the waves increase the patrons pile up fast – so mind your pees and queues (you see what I did there?). All this is done using simple line drawing touch gestures on the PS Vita’s front screen.

Extra points are scored for maintaining proper men’s room etiquette as well as for demonstrating good personal hygiene. And this links nicely to how I came up with the idea for Men’s Room Mayhem…

Prev_PCSE00252_MRM_2

It really comes from the whole notion of there being men’s room etiquette. Like most good ideas it started with several pints of ale at a local bar with my friends. When I inevitably went to point percy at the porcelain I had a moment of clarity. I realised I was subconsciously following a set of rules for using the little boy’s room.

If there was nobody in there I used the urinal furthest from the door, I always left a gap of one urinal between me and anyone else in there and if I couldn’t leave a gap I used the cubicle! Nobody ever taught me this – not my dad or my friends – it was a set of behaviours I picked up over time.

This sort of psychology fascinates me so I thought it might be fun to make a game of it – partly to see how many other guys don’t realise they follow the rules, and partly to let all the ladies know us fellas have a certain code of conduct in our washrooms too!

Stay tuned for some more screenshots and details on the game as well as the launch date and the price. You can follow us on Twitter or Facebook for updates too. Until then just remember to wash your hands!

UI_Character_Level01

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

59 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
Suzzopher 2 May, 2013 @ 2:09 pm   1

This looks like hilarious fun.

MaxDiehard 2 May, 2013 @ 2:09 pm   2

Looks…interesting.

Well i’ve always wanted Flight Control on Vita, so this will be the closest I get to it on the system.

Will look forward to playing this. :)

Envirasu 2 May, 2013 @ 2:16 pm   3

This sounds oddly hilarious.

cowbanana 2 May, 2013 @ 2:21 pm   4

Looks like good fun!

charmoyl 2 May, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   5

This may be quite interesting and fun, if it’s kept classy and clean. Looking forward to hearing more.

DiscworldDeath 2 May, 2013 @ 2:40 pm   6

Huh, interesting.

supersmith2500 2 May, 2013 @ 2:43 pm   7

So some former talented devs from Studio Liverpool is making this??

What a waste of time for the former WipEout devs. A game based on the Men’s room?

And not to mention, when is the Vita getting more 3D games instead of getting 2D games and being treated like a smartphone? -_-

Phil Gaskell 2 May, 2013 @ 3:11 pm

To be fair to the guys at Sawfly Supersmith this game is a Ripstone idea which we asked them to work on while they were starting up, rather than the other way around. In the game biz we call it a work-for-hire. I’m sure the Sawfly guys will reveal something awesome at some point in the future that’s more in keeping with their heritage.

I have to admit they’ve done a cracking job on this game though :o)

Aces73High 2 May, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   8

Hi Phil, this looks like it has the pee-tential to be very good fun. In fact, I’m bursting to (have a) go! How long (no I didn’t mean ‘long’ like that!!) are you from launch? Wee-ks? months? Sorry to ‘dump’ so many questions on poo, sorry, on you. Loo-king forward to pis…ahem, this!

Phil Gaskell 2 May, 2013 @ 3:04 pm

Loving the puns Aces! The game is finished and is being ‘flushed’ through the system as I type. Keep an eye out for it in the coming weeks!

Gary485 2 May, 2013 @ 2:47 pm   9

I follow those rules too! Mainly because I have a fear of peeople(see what I did there?)taking a peek at me when I pee. It’s important there’s enough space between me and someone else that it’s impossible for them to do so. You can never be too careful. Anyway this game looks….interesting. The list of games you’ve worked on gives me confidence it could turn out to be a pretty good game.

Aces73High 2 May, 2013 @ 2:47 pm   10

Come on supersmith2500, take it easy buddy. Vita has plenty of room for the big triple-A blockbusters, 3D adventures AND casual/puzzle smartphone-centric games. Let’s have a little forum etiquette now, shall wee?

MaxDiehard 2 May, 2013 @ 2:50 pm   11

@supersmith2500

Sony is a open arms company when it comes to indie developers. All they want to do is make games they think are fun and share them with us.

You might not like them but there are people out there who actually enjoy and support them. I should know, i’m an indie myself.

And as for the former S.L team, making this was ‘their’ choice. They obviously enjoyed making it, so it’s not up to you what they choose to make.

Aces73High 2 May, 2013 @ 3:02 pm   12

You tell ‘em Max. I’m all for caual gaming experiences on my Vita – the more the better. Particularly when they’re from talented indie outfits like this team of former Sony Liverpool guys! I wish them all the luck in the world. And SS2500 should too.

ChazzH69 2 May, 2013 @ 3:09 pm   13

I can’t believe I’m going to say this, but…

…A game centred around blokes going to the toilet actually looks a lot of fun. I like the idea and welcome as much of this crazy innovation as possible.

@MaxDieHard (11) Point well made.

Phil Gaskell 2 May, 2013 @ 3:14 pm

Thanks Chazz, it’s been fun making the game (some of the bug reports were hilarious) and we hope everyone has some fun playing it.

Sicmay 2 May, 2013 @ 3:14 pm   14

Will the VIta versions price be the same as IOS and android?

Phil Gaskell 2 May, 2013 @ 3:17 pm

iOS and PSN have slightly different pricing tiers, but rest assured the game prices on all platforms will be very closely matched. We’ll announce the pricing closer to launch.

Sicmay 2 May, 2013 @ 3:14 pm   15

Will the VITA versions price be the same as other devices

supersmith2500 2 May, 2013 @ 3:16 pm   16

*sigh* Fine, as long as the Vita gets some decent games later.

Sicmay 2 May, 2013 @ 3:20 pm   17

I hope it’s close. I don’t want to be paying £5+ for something that’s £1.99 or less on iOS

BBear_27 2 May, 2013 @ 3:54 pm   18

This looks like hilarious fun, nice and original :-)

Golwar 2 May, 2013 @ 3:56 pm   19

Uhoh. [DELETED] control here, we have an emergency on the radar!
Loved Flight Control, so what could possibly go wrong with this one? Well besides some … dirty collisions. ;)

@MaxDiehard
Well said!
I don’t see the problem who made the game. What matters is the fun. And when I enjoy Thomas Was Alone more than Gravity Rush, great!

Still wish we’d see more JRPGs for the Vita though.

godsteve 2 May, 2013 @ 4:07 pm   20

when I Play this game in the bathroom, will it be be considered “meta”?

Golwar 2 May, 2013 @ 4:09 pm   21

Your Twitter and FB links at the end are messed up. Not difficult to find what one is looking for though.

lol @godsteve

AaronSOLDIER 2 May, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   22

@7 totally agree, enough with the indie games already. So glad I didn’t get a Vita, Sony just doesn’t get it when it comes to handhelds. Will wait for the AAA Vita games from Japan like Soul Sacrifice and Gravity Rush.

Lunastra78 2 May, 2013 @ 5:48 pm   23

This game might just be that big (s)hit that Vita needs right now.

Akuosa 2 May, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   24

So… would this be harder for me, considering I’m a woman? O_ó

theJJ88 2 May, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   25

Game tip: Don’t pee too serious.

Izorpo 2 May, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   26

Why are people so down on indie games? Yes some are bad but some are good, and some are really good (for ex: Beat Hazard Ultra)

Somehow there is this misconception that indie equates with crap. There have been loads of AAA titles that were so bad they would function better as a urinal cake. I don’t mean kusoge games either (which at least have some redeeming quality) Final Fantasy XIII is a prime example of true dirge of AAA game. Not to mention the main character is obviously the poster child for anorexia nervosa.

Game looks interesting and different, anything not homogenized to be a jack of all trades but a master of none is a plus. Indie games save us from the tedium of big studio releases and encourage gamers not to become former gamers

residentSteve 2 May, 2013 @ 7:14 pm   27

@22 totally agree I’ve had enough of these indie games to, glad I sold my vita last summer I only ever got uncharted for it and its still vitas best game.

MaxDiehard 2 May, 2013 @ 7:26 pm   28

@AaronSOLDIER
@residentSteve

You can hate on indies all you want, but all devs that work on AAA titles were all indies at some point.

Why don’t you just switch to Xbox, they hate supporting indies as much as you. Go on, we won’t miss you here and we certainly don’t need haters like you.

Project2insanity 3 May, 2013 @ 12:15 am   29

“…It was a set of behaviours I picked up over time.” This is a ridiculous statement right here. Good urinal etiquette isn’t something we learn, it’s knowledge that we, as men, are born with!

I especially find it offensive when some dude ignores everything evolution has brought us to and takes the gap urinal! It’s tempting to tell him off but you can’t because you know that would violate the no-talking rule and you certainly can’t be a hypocrite since he’ll point that out.

If anything, we need it written into law!

AaronSOLDIER 3 May, 2013 @ 1:27 am   30

@MaxDieHard Oh please, cry some more.

M$ was the one who started this whole indie obsession thing, but I’m not a Sony fanboy like you obviously are since I own both Sony and Nintendo consoles (anti M$ however), I just don’t see why 99% of Vita’s catalog has to be indie games. Sony are throwing all this money at indie devs which they couldve spent getting us a GTA or Fallout or Monster Hunter etc. etc. game.

And nope, not all devs start as indie devs at all, big publishers set up big development studios, AKA thrown in at the deep end (Capcom, Konami, Bethesda etc.).

Stop crying just because someone doesn’t agree with your opinion or Sony’s business strategy, there’s a reason 3DS is beating Vita in sales, and I’d love for it to be the other way around but Sony are wasting all their Vita hardware investments on titles like this. It’s like me spending £1,000+ on a PC to play Cut the Rope… :/

monchi-o-really 3 May, 2013 @ 3:02 am   31

“This sort of psychology” is called homophobia…

aks473 3 May, 2013 @ 8:03 am   32

Man!!!, coming up with such an funny idea and creating a full game out of that is really a good Job. I seriously believe ,it’ll be fun to have this game :)

Nascow 3 May, 2013 @ 9:30 am   33

Finally something cultural

Rodia_73 3 May, 2013 @ 11:50 am   34

Final boss is George Michael, yeah.

Golwar 3 May, 2013 @ 12:11 pm   35

@AaronSOLDIER
Are you nuts? Why do you think that Sony would be throwing money at them?
There is a difference between Sony being the involved publisher for indie games as Journey, or Sony simply being the distributor via their stores, as in this case.

So as long as you can’t back your claim that Sony would invest money into such games, all that you require is for Sony to forbid that indie games are put into the store.
For no other reason than you not liking them. Makes sense, eh?

Be glad that indie exists and delivers games for a system that otherwise would barely see support. Stories of success on the Vita, as Retro City Rampage delivered for example, might convince more and more developers to support the system. At the end you might even see more of the AAA content that you require.

So be thankful for any game that is offered to you and stop hating.

MaxDiehard 3 May, 2013 @ 2:42 pm   36

@Golwar

Well said. I couldn’t have put it better myself. :)

AaronSOLDIER 3 May, 2013 @ 4:27 pm   37

@Golwar

We’ll see if your theory holds any water in a years time, but Sony is pretty much not doing anything to help the AAA catalog at this point and pretty much relying on these games which tbh I’d never buy a $200+ console just for indie games which seems to be all the Vita is good for, especially when I can play these games, or similar games on my phone or PC (which I don’t because 9/10 times they are a waste of time and money.

What’s funny is I remember the SCEA ad campaign for PSP with Marcus Rivers, and they’d actually be putting these sorts of games down on phones and whatnot, yet this gen they can’t seem to get enough.

Talk about a U turn.

At this point I’d easily put the PSP above Vita, just because it had GTA, I don’t even need to bring the hundreds of JRPGs into it.

suomenargie 3 May, 2013 @ 5:46 pm   38

Some guy above made a comment on something I have been thinking about for a while…
I didn’t buy my Vita for games that I could be getting on a 2nd gen iPod touch. I was promised a console experience, remote play for PS3 games, etc.
I feel more and more ripped off every time I see a game that belongs on a 6 year old device announced like it’s the best thing to happen to the Vita.
I don’t mean any disrespect to the Devs. They do what they do and some are just amazing. But again. This kind of games I can play on my oöd iPod touch, my tablet, my wind8ws phone… this is not why I and , any more, got a Vita for.

residentSteve 3 May, 2013 @ 6:00 pm   39

Well remembered AaronSOLDIER I remember seeing that ad for the psp.
I do think some of these games shouldn’t be on ps3 at all as well they really are games that belong on a tablet or a phone.
Hope the psv gets some ps3 type experience games at e3, not these games that look like they should be on a 6 year old device like suomenargie said.

AaronSOLDIER 3 May, 2013 @ 6:18 pm   40

Yep, problem is most people are happy to buy these games on Vita which is sending the wrong message to Sony. I don’t mind these games being on the Vita and PS3 (I’d never buy them either way), but when this is all the Vita is getting, it’s really annoying to see people like “OMG this looks AWESOME I’ll be happy to put down another £10 or so on this highly unoriginal indie games #528″ etc. etc.

Whatever with this, they won’t be making any money out of me, I want REAL games for my consoles.

BaBy-_-D3aN0 3 May, 2013 @ 9:07 pm   42

New PS vita? Around £200. New SmartPhone? Generally over £400. With a PS vita, you can play (admittedly not many) AAA games, earn trophies, watch youtube, listen to music, take photo’s/videos, check twitter/facebook, play mobile games, use skype etc etc. It’s been out a year…If your expecting games like GTA instantly then this must be your first ever console from release. I have plenty of quality games I’ve played for long periods of time. Must be 20+ I’ve played for over 10 hours…Don’t like what the vita has at the moment? Sell it. Plenty of gamers enjoy their vita…If you’re not one of them, sell up and buy a 3DS. I’m sure they’ll release another original Mario game this year. And next year. And the year after….

MaxDiehard 3 May, 2013 @ 9:36 pm   43

@BaBy-_-D3aN0

I completely agree with you. It’s better for Sony to place faith in indie devs because they’re eager to put out small fun games that have quality. With AAA games its more of a risk, an investment of sorts.

Just look at Black Ops: Declassified and Resistance: Burning Skies. Both are AAA titles and both were rated very poorly.

Just because it’s AAA, doesn’t mean it’s going to be any good.

If there’s one thing all these ‘haters’ need, is patience. Vita will eventually gain a title that they’ll enjoy. All they need is to place a little faith and support the platform, not go against it because there’s a few games they don’t like.

No ones forcing you to play them.

AaronSOLDIER 3 May, 2013 @ 10:33 pm   44

What’s wrong with expecting a GTA at launch? PSP had LCS just 6 months after IIRC (by this time anyway) and GTA3 on PS2 again within the first year.

Super Mario is fun and people enjoy them hence why they keep making them though Im pretty much done with it myself, at least there’s stuff on it to play (Mario, Zelda, Starfox etc.) all sequels and whatnot but it actually has GAMES, and is bringing in the sales, Vita has neither and right now it’s looking even worse than the DreamCast (which also had more on it at this point in it’s life).

BaBy-_-D3aN0 3 May, 2013 @ 10:58 pm   45

Majority of indie games on the vita I’ve played are fun and original…I don’t want to be playing a franchise that’s been pushing near identical content for what, 30 years now? If you don’t count indie games as “games”, then I really can’t see how you can count mario/zelda as games tbh…

And regarding GTA for PSP n PS2? PS vita has network features. True network features. Alot harder to develop a handheld game with 2 analogue sticks, front touch, back touch as well as pretty much requiring some form of Multiplayer…a GTA will probably come, just needs to be given time…

Finally @MaxDiehard, I completely agree. I’ve enjoyed so many games on my vita, and it’s only going to get better with the more success/recognition it gains

AaronSOLDIER 4 May, 2013 @ 1:10 am   46

Is it so wrong to want some big budget games on a Sony console? It’s a good job I can read Japanese because when I do get a Vita eventually, 90% of my games will be imports for sure.

dogwalker4000 4 May, 2013 @ 2:33 am   47

It’s not wrong, of course it’s not but you consider the sales of the Vita in general and some of the poor AAA titles it already has and is it any wonder Sony and other publishers are hesitant to commit large budgets on these type of games? Publishers can’t get their budgets right for home console games so the risk is even more on the Vita.

I too want big titles but you and a lot of others are dismissing these games before even trying them. Like Golwar said it’s these indie titles that are keeping the Vita alive atm, they’re filling the gap until the next big games come.

E3 is around the corner so lets wait and see what comes out of that (new Assassins Creed for Vita is rumoured)

solarwind12 4 May, 2013 @ 3:31 am   48

For what it’s worth these ‘indie’ titles absolutely deserve a honoured place on the vita handheld console, as obviously they are made for the many people who consider vita as a extremely good ‘handheld’, probobly same customers whom owned psp/ps-go… in short Handheld or snack sized Game-playing hardware, thing is i remember the launch build up of vita and can swear it wasn’t advertised as ‘another’ (best yet) handheld.. No, basically it was marketed as a kinda portable/mini PS3 !, So whats with All these pansy joke games that ‘some’ people regard as the dogs b… Sure theres ‘Room’ for them, i mean there was room for mini’s and ps1 ‘classics’ on PS3, But it seems the numbers are reversed.. in that theres just too many of these , erm Games.. also as far as AAA titles doing bad, i disagree. as there hasn’t yet been any.. imo.. sure theres been AAA’s Named games, but developed by who excactly ?.. the vita imo was/is a massive con, aimed at ‘handheld’ gamers who like it, But missold to ‘ordinary’ (console/ps1/2/3) owners who fell for the spin.. And Hate it. and i doubt no amount of debatable comments will change that. Just an activation of Promised/advertised features, maybe one day.

BaBy-_-D3aN0 4 May, 2013 @ 3:26 pm   49

Love it when people comment on how bad the vita is…when they don’t even own one…

Project2insanity 4 May, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   50

@BaBy-_-D3aN0; Come on, that’s a tad unfair. Those people support the Vita getting AAA titles so won’t buy one until then. The developers have plenty of intentions to purchase from potential owners to afford creating these games over long periods of time. Wait… intentions to purchase is actual currency, isn’t it…?

Load all