Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:00pm

New Indie Game Category launches on PlayStation Store

PS-Store

Hello PlayStation bloggers. I’m Andrew Parsons, Director of Publisher and Developer Relations at SCEE. This means that my team and I have the exciting job of working closely with publishers and developers who make all these wonderful games that you play!

One of the best things about working in this business is the amazing imagination of developers – and I notice this most when talking to the indies. Since the launch of PSN we have encouraged smaller teams and individuals to bring their games to our platforms. This has attracted some really exciting ideas that range from fun, to beautiful, to completely insane.

This week, together with the Sony Network Entertainment team, we are happy to introduce a new indie game area to the PlayStation Store.

This is an exciting space where indie content can receive additional exposure. It’s an opportunity to showcase the best of these great games for PS3 and PS Vita – and for this to be constantly refreshed with the latest releases and promotions. It’s the first and best place to go for indie content (though of course content can still be found through the normal channels too).

I’m delighted that the indie devs have really taken advantage of how open PlayStation is to this tremendous mix of designs and ideas, and that we’re happy to work with everything from traditional buy-and-play games, to free-to-play. We haven’t asked you to trade in sheep for games yet, but I’m sure it’ll come soon.

So, check out the new Indie Game area on the store – where you can download everything from the very best of our indie partners.

To celebrate the launch, you can pick up a copy of one of our favourite independent games, Retro City Rampage by the talented Brian Provinciano of VBlank Entertainment Inc. at a 50% discount.

We asked some of the developers behind the games you should expect to find here if they had any messages they wanted to share our PlayStation community:

rcr_scrn_02

Brian Provinciano (VBlank Entertainment Inc.) – Retro City Rampage
“Being an indie developer gives you the freedom to bring your own vision to life. Never during the project did I analyse the market or search out what others might want. I was building the game that I wanted to make, without any boardroom or publisher to decide otherwise. One of the greatest benefits, it was also a risk. Would others connect to my own personal nostalgia? Well, with well over 200,000 players and counting, it’s incredible to see so many have!”

PREVIEW_PCSB00189_Guacamelee!_temple1_b

Graham Smith (Drinkbox Studios Inc.) – Guacamelee!
“One of the best things about being an independent developer is the creative freedom that comes with it. With Guacamelee!, we drew a lot of inspiration from the childhood games we grew up playing, but also tried to put in some twists to make the experience feel fresh and unique.”

ZT2_Screenshots_02

Louis Patalano (Frima Studio) – Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov’s Revenge
“Inspired by modern strategy games with hero units, Zombie Tycoon 2: Brainhov’s Revenge is a fast paced RTS with controls designed specifically for consoles. It sports a single player campaign as well as a fast-paced deathmatch multiplayer mode. We are really proud of this title developed, in part, by the same sharp and creative talents behind Zombie Tycoon, A Space Shooter for Two Bucks! and Lights, Camera, Party!”

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

60 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Apelgrandure 7 May, 2013 @ 3:07 pm   1

I know this is the wrong place to ask but if I ask this in any other (older) post then it will be ignored (but probably will be here too). Why is the South African playstation store saying its currently undergoing maintenance? Its been like this for days (maybe weeks) and I see no news about when it will be back online. Iv tried multiple internet connections and it still does not work.

maximalcheetor 7 May, 2013 @ 3:10 pm   2

Andrew,

Will we be seeing PlayStation Mobile titles being promoted in this section as they are currently side-lined in the PlayStation Store and don’t seem to receive as much publicity as other games either for the PS3 or PS Vita?

Thanks,

Simon

Hi Andrew Parsons, it’s not what most people asked from the store (remember that huge list of important improvements you still need to realise like us beeing able to find stuff in that huge download list we have).
Will this be in all countries or will it be like Mobile only for the UK and a few other countries?

SpitelordDekka 7 May, 2013 @ 3:13 pm   4

Don’t let this turn into the ghetto that Xbox Live Indie Games became.

zalwelgoedgaan 7 May, 2013 @ 3:17 pm   5

PlayStation minis were mostly neglected, how will the Indie Game Category be brought to people’s attention?

PSVitaTurkey 7 May, 2013 @ 3:25 pm   6

When we will see PS Mobile category in other countries like Turkey ?

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 3:31 pm   7

Good to see this, separate them from the real games.

Cr4z7WolF 7 May, 2013 @ 3:39 pm   8

I think that this is a must have … i love indie games, and they deserve a place for them !!! indie games+ps vita = paradise :)

Envirasu 7 May, 2013 @ 3:39 pm   9

@zalwelgoedgaan:

I can’t see the indie section being neglected. Given how strongly Sony pushed games like Guacamelee and Derrick the Deathfin (buy this if you haven’t already!), I’d say they’re going to take this seriously.

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 3:43 pm   10

@AaronSOLDIER

Indie games ‘are’ real games.

left4bread3 7 May, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   11

Played a great few indie games back on XBLIG such as decay and soul but sadly this dosent look like it’ ll have that many games/input from the community…

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 3:50 pm   12

@left4bread3

PlayStation is rife with indie games. So it’s only fair now that it gets its own category so that we may find those gems quicker.

More and more studios are becoming indie because big independent publishers like EA and Activision are known for either ripping them off or milking it.

Andrew Parsons 7 May, 2013 @ 3:55 pm   13

So some quick replies…

PSM is a separate channel of game content for specific platforms, so we won’t mix the two in the indie area

It’s not UK only – it’s opened across all our territory Stores

We won’t neglect it – this is the start of our continuing support for this rich mix of great content

No ghettos – this is a showcase window in addition to the usual promotions and availability throughout the main areas of the Store

I can’t help with the South African Store (but I’ll ask someone who can!) and can’t comment on PSM for Turkey – perhaps someone from our PSM group will drop in

zalwelgoedgaan 7 May, 2013 @ 3:55 pm   14

@Envirasu:

(I’ll think about Derrick, got a huge backlog of games already XD)

I know Sony is pushing indies, but several people brought it up before I did that if Indie Games get separated from publisher games –even though they are featured on the main page of the store– people might think less of those games and will buy COD map packs instead.

Maybe Sony will be even more aggressive with their Indie awareness plan, but I’ll believe it when I see it. XD

———-

@ ANDREW PARSONS (sorry for caps):

Would it boost sales if you also released avatars of new Indie titles? It would be nice to have Guacamelee avatars for example. I know that it’s up to the developers, but I don’t think some extra money in the pocket wouldn’t hurt for them, it definitely should be recommended to them. It would also be additional exposure for them on PlayStation blogs and forums. Themes would be cool as well, but they take way more time to create than simple 300×300 (?) images.

If the avatar submission process is too complicated for some reason, then it really needs to be simplified. It shouldn’t take that long to see if the developers drew something inappropriate somewhere in the avatar. XD

CoolRichy007UK 7 May, 2013 @ 4:03 pm   15

ye wat max said INDY GAMES SRE REAL GAMES you girlpants aaron from now on if aaron moans about indy games il keep calling him sony hater & guess wat indy games are HERE TO STAY SO GET USED TO IT or buy a xbox u troll

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:15 pm   16

Learn to spell.

No they aren’t real games at all, they’re 50p mobile games that you’re paying £8+ for. It’s your money though (or your parents’ lol).

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   17

Oh and err, I already own multiple systems thanks, just because your parents wouldn’t buy you more than one…

Owning multiple systems does not make me a Devil Worshiper, grow up Richy and stop looking down on people who have different opinions than you do, you sound about 8 years old.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:24 pm   18

I’ve been playing PlayStation (and other gaming systems) before you were even born.

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 4:25 pm   19

@AaronSOLDIER

Since when did Indie become another word for cheap?

Look at well known indie games such as the Pixeljunk series, Journey, Flower, flOW.

50p for games of that quality wouldn’t do them justice. So get of your high horse and get used to it. Indie has and always will be here to stay.

PlayStation caters for all gamers and has games of all catagories. Your contant hate for the ‘less than mainstream’ isn’t going to change that.

If you have nothing nice to say or have any support, then keep it to yourself.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:32 pm   20

I genuinely disliked the PJ games actually and Flower was a waste of money since there’s no point to it.

PlayStation DID cater to all gamers, until this gen when Sony does give a F for RPGs, horrors, fighters etc. they’re all just about linear action and shooters games now.

Sorry but PS is just not what it used to be and I’ve been playing Sony’s systems since 1994, I’m as big as a fan can get but quite honestly they’re gonna need to pull something outta the bag with PS4 because right now I’m not sold.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:33 pm   21

doesn’t give a F for RPGs*

dogwalker4000 7 May, 2013 @ 4:37 pm   22

So triple posting when replying to an “8″ year old is acting like an adult?

I am 100% you haven’t tried any of the games in this post because you would know they are worth way more than 50p and in some cases even more than £8 (Guacamelee! is worth its price and more).

I’m glad Indie has its own category, least because we now have one place to find these little gems. I just hope you guys at Sony don’t neglect it and still push these great games on the blog and the store.

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 4:39 pm   23

I’m not a fanboy. I’m an admirer and avid supporter. I play PC as equally as PlayStation.

I’m a developer myself, I have no place for fanboyism, otherwise my choice of games and platform would be pretty slim.

And as for linear action and shooters? The majority published by third-parties, not Sony.

Look at the roster of PS4 games so far. We have Knack, a platformer type reminicent of the Crash Bandicoot era. It’s not all shooters thankfully because I myself and tired of them.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   24

Or maybe I left the 16bit era behind when, you know, we moved onto 32bit and 64bit systems? I sure as hell didn’t buy my HD consoles for £300+ at launch to play games like this I know that much.

Ryusennin 7 May, 2013 @ 4:40 pm   25

Dear @Andrew,

Start by merging Sony US and Sony EU store divisions, then we’ll talk again.

kivi95 7 May, 2013 @ 4:45 pm   26

Any idea when PSM will get expanded to more countries?

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 4:47 pm   27

@Max actually that statement wasn’t aimed at indie devs, the Sony of this gen has completely changed.

Back on the PS1 Sony were bringing games over like FF7, Wild Arms, Alundra, Arc the Lad etc. how many have they bothered with this gen? I can think of two: Demon’s Souls and FolkLore.

PS4 had absolutely no RPGs at their PS4 conference, we got more shooters and racers with one sandbox type game (inFamous, which is about the only decent thing there along with Knack), and we saw that joke of a company Square Enix which nobody cares about anymore since Namco is bringing their A game with JRPGs now.

So yeah Sony’s stance has clearly changed, they’re completely neglecting any Japanese developed games at this point, I wouldn’t be surprised if they just shut down Japan Studio and we only ever got GT from there anymore. Why has everything been westernized this gen? Did I miss something because I thought Japanese developed games used to sell millions of copies back in the day without the need for all this westernization.

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 4:51 pm   28

@AaronSOLDIER

Consoles back then weren’t cheap either.

The Atari 2600 went for about $200 at launch.

The first NES was $299 at launch.

So it’s no different than today.

voorsk 7 May, 2013 @ 4:51 pm   29

@AaronSOLDIER I’m not sure why you’re blaming Sony for the stagnation of the AAA game industry.

Sony seem to have realised that the future of games can’t be left in the hands of profit-obsessed companies like EA, Squenix, or Activision, coz otherwise it’ll all be COD clones, so they’re helping the little guys who’re making genuinely interesting games (and enjoying taking a cut, obviously)

All the big companies owe their existence to the bedroom programmers of the 80s, and encouraging indies is kind’ve like resetting the industry and starting from scratch. Sure, there’s lots of dross, but the devs who do well will get bigger and better. It’s quite exciting!

Izorpo 7 May, 2013 @ 4:59 pm   30

The biggest selling game on psn is an INDIE game – Journey.

It’s absurd some people think indie games (made by independent individuals or studios are somehow less than games made & published by the big studios like EA or Activision).

as mentioned before the Pixeljunk games are brilliant and fun plus the soundtracks are really good. Pixeljunk isn’t just the shooter games, there’s tower defence, racing & Eden was amazing.

Flower was the first psn game I bought. Point? What do you mean point? Do any games have a point?

There is plenty of variety in regards to the games on the ps3 both on psn and disc. As for horror, an indie horror game is coming & award winning too. You might want to miss that

I don’t like testosterone based mp shooters or fight games like Mortal Kombat & I detest sports games but that doesn’t mean that just because I dislike them that others don’t enjoy them.

The attitude you take is rather fascistic, you essentially come across as stating indie games have no place on psn. If that’s the case then that would mean every game or genre that anyone disliked wouldn’t exist on the store. It would be a pretty empty store. If you don’t like indie games here’s a novel idea – DON’T BUY THEM.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 5:02 pm   31

What choice do I have when that’s all that they’re releasing on the Vita at this point aside from Soul Sacrifice?

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   32

What about Killzone Mercenaries? Oh wait, it’s another shooter which you’re sick of. There’s just no pleasing people like you, always wanting something to whine about.

Izorpo 7 May, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   33

really only indie games released on the vita?

and btw Jeff Minter started as an indie dev – he’s one of the most imaginative and creative programmers there ever was. Think about that the next time you run a visualizer.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   34

RPGs? Oh wait they’re not linear enough and actually require some time to translate. Obviously though Sony won’t localize them, this ain’t the PS1 days.

MaxDiehard 7 May, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   35

Well there’s always LittleBigPlanet. Why don’t you just make your own?

Golwar 7 May, 2013 @ 5:16 pm   36

@AaronSOLDIER
If you hate it that much that you are forced to spam less charming comments whenever indies are mentioned, why do stay with Playstation?
As you’ve mentioned, you own multiple systems. So why not play elsewhere and remain polite?

Not that you’ll have more luck elsewhere. Xbox is nothing but shooters, PC is the king of indie gaming and Nintendo tries to embrace them too. Maybe Ouya? :P

alex115 7 May, 2013 @ 5:17 pm   37

Dragon’s Crown? Or is there something wrong with that too

CoolRichy007UK 7 May, 2013 @ 5:21 pm   38

Golwar well said

Izorpo is dam right yes some indy games aint good but rest are

i vote we kick arron into the lake of we dont care what he thinks

Izorpo 7 May, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   39

as my comment thats awaiting moderation mentioned Jeff Minter – can’t express enough that 1 man even under the name Lamasoft has done more for gaming than anyone. He’s an indie that made a game that sold consoles like the Jaguar (Tempest 2000.

For the Amiga a German teenager made in his bedroom called Gravity Force 2 which was one of the best regarded games for the Amiga.

Tetris was originally an indie – one man created Tetris for use in the office.

Supporting Indie programmers you are actually supporting the future of gaming.

bennyrafal 7 May, 2013 @ 5:27 pm   40

Cool, now PSMobile for Poland. Indies are always welcome and now even more visible…

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 5:29 pm   41

Love how you get attacked if you don’t like a specific genre but like a certain niche (which wasn’t a niche until Sony abandoned the genre this gen), kinda like if you say anything bad about Zelda Nintendo fans will jump down your throat. So because I’m not into shooters or linear action games I’m Satan now?

Richy stop throwing insults I’m not insulting you so grow up. I’ve owned every PlayStation from launch and spent thousands on their products, so whose the bigger fan you or me? smh.

residentSteve 7 May, 2013 @ 5:45 pm   42

I know what you mean AaronSOLDIER I said on another site not this one that I liked resident evil 6 (I know not everyone liked it) you should of seen how much abuse I got because of that.
Iam glad that indies now have there own section, I don’t want to end up clicking on it by mistake.

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 5:49 pm   43

I am not even anti indie I know everyone has to start somewhere, but when a system like the Vita is RELYING on these games, then somethings not right.

PSP had a great catalog of games this far into it’s life, the Vita has about 5 or 6 great games and it’d have even more if Sony’s attitude towards localizing JRPGs from third party devs was the same as it was 10-15 years ago.

Izorpo 7 May, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   44

@AaronSOLDIER

if you don’t like indies why do you feel the incessant need to post on any blog post concerning them? By either claiming they are crap or “not real games”.

The Playstation blog has posts about all manner of games, films, etc. I’m not interested in Playstation Home but I’m not trolling that post by making derogatory comments about it. Which is the case with you however, you are trolling a post, any post about indie games.

People will “attack” you as you bring nothing to the discussion other than your own prejudice and seemingly a desperate need for attention

Golwar 7 May, 2013 @ 5:52 pm   45

@AaronSOLDIER
Awh, we are so bad!

If I recall it correctly you didn’t simply comment that you don’t like a genre or game, you constantly despise indies in general whenever they are mentioned and drop smart suggestions that those aren’t real games and that Sony would throw money on them (which is even wrong by the definition of indie development), instead to develop “better” games.

That’s the difference between expressing your fair opinion and being a troll.

I’m all for more RPGs. No idea how often I suggested that Sony should do something about developing their own Ni No Kuni or some Pokemon clone for the Vita. So I’m with you there.
But your childish statements about indies surely won’t help you with your case.

dogwalker4000 7 May, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   46

Resident Evil 6 is awful, I can comment on it because I’ve played it, whereas the people that bash indies have even tried the very titles they claim aren’t games. I fail to see how AaronSOLDIER is not anti indie, his name pops up on every indie related post bad mouthing them and never really has anything constructive to say.

To be honest he keeps contradicting himself on here and only makes himself look kinda silly, but that’s just my opinion and we’re all entitled to one I guess.

Voodoo341 7 May, 2013 @ 6:28 pm   47

Will this help getting games released globally on the same date?

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 6:57 pm   48

Yeah I’ve commented on two indie articles, that’s totally ‘trolling’ every indie post, isn’t it? smh

xxSamuraiGirlxx 7 May, 2013 @ 7:12 pm   49

since when are games defined buy their price? lmao

a game is a game is a game.

“No they aren’t real games at all, they’re 50p mobile games that you’re paying £8+ for”

you know you contradicting yourself right?…lol real games, good thing they’re making a dedicated section…wouldn’t want to buy a fake game by mistake. =P

AaronSOLDIER 7 May, 2013 @ 7:31 pm   50