Posted 15 May

Gran Turismo 6 is coming

GT6

Greetings PlayStation Blog. Today we’re really excited to announce that Gran Turismo 6 will be released Holiday 2013. The news was revealed today by legendary GT creator Kazunori Yamauchi himself at our Silverstone event held to celebrate 15 years of the 70-million-selling series.

GT6 for PlayStation 3 will see many enhancements, improvements and additions to the game. bringing new levels of authenticity to ‘the Real Driving Simulator’. Features revealed today include stunning new tracks and cars and a much over-hauled user interface. There’s also a new engine which will improve game operation. Meanwhile we are set for expanded connectivity with other devices and increased social and community functions.

Quattro_S1_01Quattro_S1_02

The cars and tracks from Gran Turismo 5, which has now sold over 10 million copies since launching in 2010, will return in GT6. But with notable new additions bringing the car line up to over 1200. Players will also be able to customise their rides to an even greater level than ever before.

Amongst the track line-up, the UK’s famous Silverstone Circuit will be just one of seven new locations in Gran Turismo 6, taking the total to 33, with 71 different layouts available, 19 of them brand new. The really great news is that the already impressive line-up of cars and tracks will be added to by future DLC drops beginning after launch.

rocket_01rocket_03

Enhancements and improvements also extend to a much-improved course maker function which will provide several tens of square kilometres of gorgeous scenery, including the magnificent backdrop of Andalucía.

It is amazing to think that it is 15 years since we first released Gran Turismo,” said Kazunori Yamauchi, during the announcement at Silverstone Circuit. “Things have changed a lot since then and now Gran Turismo 6 is a further evolution of my dream. We’re pleased to deliver GT 6 to PlayStation 3 as we have a very loyal community on that platform. However, we have refactored the game to make it very flexible and expandable, with a view to making many future developments.

alpine_a110_01dino_246gt_01

“I am very pleased with everything about the new game and the new additions, but the launch will only be the beginning for GT6. The game will continue to develop throughout its life. I already have many ideas for things I want to achieve in the next 15 years of Gran Turismo!”

Further news about Gran Turismo 6 will be revealed at the forthcoming E3 and Gamescom events and on www.gran-turismo.com. Stay tuned, #GT6iscoming

GT logo6_black

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

85 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Nicko_McBrain 15 May, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   1

I really hoped for a PS Vita or PS4 release, would have been another reason to buy a PS4. I’m still going to buy a PS4 and GT6 on PS3, but I’m still kinda disappointed.

Goldrusher 15 May, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   2

PS4 version or no sale.

ALFA ROMEO FTW!

supersmith2500 15 May, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   4

Forget Call of Duty Ghosts. So going to get this for Xmas. Wonder if you can transfer everything from GT5 to GT6 though. Bit worried it might even clog up alot of space on the PS3 just like what GT5 did.

Daft-Eng 15 May, 2013 @ 5:08 pm   5

Meh, I’m not a massive simulator fan, but I was hoping for a GT for Vita…

SuperJag86 15 May, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   6

No Vita version?

ThreeWallzz 15 May, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   7

gt all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!DAY 1

Cr4z7WolF 15 May, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   8

No vita version?? whatt ?? than you complain that the system don´t sale … don´t understand !! ….

Dr-abdulelah 15 May, 2013 @ 5:16 pm   9

i think sony forget they have device call psvita
thanks you sony and all first-party developers

joshwkay 15 May, 2013 @ 5:17 pm   10

Thatta’ girl, Penrose.

BigPaja 15 May, 2013 @ 5:21 pm   11

I’m interested in knowing how the damage modelling was improved and if all the cars will be “premium” this time around.

farfromsane 15 May, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   12

Can see why Gran Turismo 6 will be a PS3 game, it’s already got such a massive user base over 70 odd million not everyone will be jumping onto the next gen bandwagon straight way, it’s a nice swan song so to speak plus looking back Gran Turismo as had two versions of the game on each console. 2015/16 we’ll see a PS4 version which I pretty sure they already have a team working on it.

Still hopeful we’ll hear about a version for PS Vita.

PSVitaTurkey 15 May, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   13

Vita,Vita,Vita ! Maybe in E3 PS4 and Vita both ??

So this is actually GT5,5 with everything that 5 had plus some extra stuff and improvements.
This should have been a patch, not a nr6.

I for one am not going to pay money for this.

dark_angel69 15 May, 2013 @ 5:27 pm   15

I agree with the others. Would like to see a PS4 version and a Vita game. But hope there is some news on PS4 version at some point. Don’t see myself buying PS3 games whenever PS4 gets released

GYNGA7 15 May, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   16

I too hope we will see GT on Vita sooner or later ;)

The new GT6 is awesome by the way. I wish I had TV, then I wish I has PS3 :(

martinlrr 15 May, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   17

Sony,you are really unfair.So “PS Vita do not sell well,but dont worry,we are not going to launch games like this for PSV…” What happens?? You think third-parties are going to save Vita??? Hahahahhaha….Its disapointing to get some hype before you buy a console,buy it and after,you realize that you have completely waste your money.

Good bye from a customer who never will buy Sony products again.

solarwind12 15 May, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   18

Well call me cynical . But, how long exactly did it take to make GT5 ?.. Now 2or maybe 3 years later a GT6 is going to be in shops for xmas, But for PS3. Sorry guys, am not buying that.. Why don’t you just be more honest and either release it as (a Big) dlc for 5, Or call it GT5.5.. You can’t tell me that you’s didn’t know about PS4 when work begun on this, or that your Not at the moment working on a PS4 Gran Turismo.. Yes it is such a shame you cannot finish a next gen GT in time for launch (PS4) day, as GT IS a PS Flagship title, but squeezing another into PS3s lifespan, You should of just waited, Or better yet used the time to produce a Vita version.

Aces73High 15 May, 2013 @ 5:35 pm   19

I just knew it’d never happen anyway, but still, I’m bitterly disappointed that there’s no Vita love (again) for such a major first-party franchise like GT.

I used to race cars (and GP bikes) semi-pro, but I was forced to take a back seat (pardon the pun) after breaking both my legs, my right hip, left shoulder and a bunch of ribs/fingers/toes in a rather nasty motorcycle accident back in 2004 (it was road traffic accident btw, not track). These days I have little alternative but to seek my adrenaline fuelled petrol-head kicks via virtual means.

As I’m STILL in and out of hospital and having surgery all these years later, I tend to do the vast majority of my gaming on my trusty Vita. I presume it goes without saying that I was sooooo hoping for a Gran Turismo that I could take with me everywhere I go.

Never mind, must stop whining.
*Sniffs, wipes away tears and moves on…*

skells22 15 May, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   20

well, i happy with this info and went straghit into pole postion for christmas

Stonesthrow 15 May, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   21

I think it’s good the PS3 isn’t completely getting written off just yet. And maybe we’ll get to see a (proper) port or entirely new game on ps4 soon too? The only things I really want to see changed are the install file size, which should be small like most other exclusives so you can keep the game installed on your console for years to come. And that all cars are premium. I’d love to see a Vita GT too.

sentry-23 15 May, 2013 @ 5:45 pm   22

Quattro S1!

Finally.

I guess it would be asking to much to also have the Quattro A2 in here, but this is great :D

GalapagosaraY 15 May, 2013 @ 5:47 pm   23

stupid decision if it doesnt get released on ps4 and/or vita aswell. Sounds like its just all the leftovers that didnt get included in 5 that gets released before its too late tbh

DarkArchoNx66 15 May, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   24

I remember reading that ps3 isn’t good enough for GT5, and now Gt6 is coming out on Ps3.

Carl-G 15 May, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   25

“I already have many ideas for things I want to achieve in the next 15 years of Gran Turismo!” OH LORD!!! STOP IT!!! :P :P :P
I still remember getting GT(1) for my PS1 ;)
Now please show us a GT PS4 soon :P (or a GT PSVita would be cool for all the PSVita owner)

Sp4rkyM4rk1337 15 May, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   26

Suppose I should complete the final few Special Events in Gran Turismo 5 (currently at 97% completion), because I will definitely be buying this at launch. :D

RemyX-1988 15 May, 2013 @ 6:03 pm   27

Awesome stuff! Even though many people want a PlayStation 4- or Vita-version, I am happy the game is coming out for PlayStation 3. Chances of me getting a PlayStation 4 when it releases at the end of the year here in Europe are pretty big, but Gran Turismo 6 should be a PlayStation 3 game.

It’s clear that when the game started development back in 2010 (or even earlier), development kits for PlayStation 4 weren’t available to developers. Also, the userbase of PlayStation 3 is much larger than that of PlayStation 4 when it will release, making it a financially better decision to release it on PlayStation 3.

I don’t know why people even doubted it (God of War II was released when the PlayStation 3 was already released) or are mad at it. Point is; if you love a certain franchise, you’ll support it. Even if it’s on the console you’re trying to say goodbye to…

Hell, my PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable are still very much alive! Not time to say goodbye to any PlayStation console just yet! Keep it coming, Sony!

WilliamBirkin 15 May, 2013 @ 6:03 pm   28

i really dig the music in the trailer, excellent choice.

cowbanana 15 May, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   29

Playstation Vita… do you know it exists, Sony?

You don’t even begin to care about the Vita, do you? Do you have so little confidence in the system that you don’t even put your major franchises on it? Titles that could actually sell systems and make it a viable platform for third parties? Are you dumb?

vonhammer 15 May, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   30

Would rather a cross gen version or PS4 only, but liking the look of the physics updates.

Trailer shows off the new suspension well.I always thought it was the best out of the console racers as it had better movement under weight transfer.
But If the new tyre model is good it’ll hopefully reduces that numb feeling both GT an F4 have.

I did see a screen of the HUD and the tyres look like they have different bars that represent the surface area of the tyre. I wonder if this points to overheating parts of the tyre under lock up’s and even pick up flatspots.

Track editor sounds ace, but would like info on point to point. With the area size you could recreate rally events (hopefully online) and that’ll keep me busy with it.

The GPS thing sounds cool. I live on Anglesey and the place is loaded with back roads, so it’ll be interesting to see how this comes together.
I’ll get my brother who is a plasterer to track every odd little village and road he goes along :)

andrewsqual 15 May, 2013 @ 6:34 pm   31

@Dr-abdulelah Sony have published and developed more games on the PS Vita the last year than Microsoft has games for the 360 the last 3 years (crappy crappy Kinect games don’t count).
The problem is why are 3rd parties apart from Ubisoft not getting behind it? They launched the damn thing with an Uncharted game running the Naughty Dog Engine 2.0
What more do developers want to see after that to show how incredible the console is?

DoYouLikeMyID 15 May, 2013 @ 7:12 pm   32

What? No PS Vita or PS4 version, when it releases around the launch of PS4. I get it if you started developing this game before PS4 dev-kits were out, so you made it for PS3, but the least you could do is to port it for PS4… -_-

igogov 15 May, 2013 @ 7:12 pm   33

Great news! Can’t wait!

Voodoo341 15 May, 2013 @ 7:16 pm   34

This needs to be something special to make up for the disappointment of GT5.

Rodia_73 15 May, 2013 @ 7:33 pm   35

Can we expect a better damage model this time?

kivi95 15 May, 2013 @ 7:41 pm   36

PS3? I’ll comeback when you announce a PS4 or PSVITA GT game. The ps3 will get ditched as fast as the PS4 releases.

Ryusennin 15 May, 2013 @ 7:47 pm   37

Looks more like Gran Turismo 5 Spec 3.0 to me… Can’t wait for the free update!

Seriously, that pretty much confirms GT6 will be the last Gran Turismo on PlayStation, and the future of racing simulation on PS4 lies (for better or for worse) on the shoulders of the Western-made Drive Club.

Tyringe 15 May, 2013 @ 8:08 pm   38

VITA version please.

Thanks.

OnikenUK 15 May, 2013 @ 8:17 pm   39

Please do a version for PS4, even if it’s not enhanced or anything. I will be playing PS4 at the end of the year and don’t want to have 2 consoles set up. Also, I don’t even own a Vita but why you no Vita version? Don’t abandon the thing!

OMG!!! those comments!! a racing simulator to a handheld device!! clap clap, very smart idea :) @14 and the others guys read the article again you miss the part witn “new engine” and really believe Kazunori dream is a GT5,5 (probably you play the demo somehow to tell that) you don’t know him very good. i m pretty sure the lastet ps3 games will be available for ps4 via steam by Gaikai

AaronSOLDIER 15 May, 2013 @ 8:48 pm   41

God of War II was released after PS3, it’s not news that Sony supports consoles even after their successors have been released. This will be PS3 only and very unlikely to be ported to PS4. On the other hand I’m a little disappointed with the lack of a GT game for Vita but hopefully they’ll announce one at E3 that will connect to this in some way.

Jono_WB 15 May, 2013 @ 9:02 pm   42

I’ve looked forward to every release of a new Gran Turismo since the first game back in 1997 but this time it just seems to be what GT5 could/should have been and is it too late.

This game is scheduled to be released on PS3 at the same time the PS4 is due and I’ve only got room for one console under the TV, while it’s nice to see Sony still supporting the current console should Polyphony have waited another year and released it on PS4.

The other issue is when will we see a GT on the PS4, knowing Sony they would like it released within the first two years to help sales, Polyphony, add on another year or two?

So will I be joining the queue to purchase the game on release, maybe but there are issues from GT5 that I hope have been sorted – Improved AI? How many races events for 1200 cars (Please not 45!) ? Will these race events be Championships? If I choose a car will I have to upgrade it before I can find a suitable event ? More than one Event for Ferrari?

And finally the most important one will the cars purchased in GT5 be transferred to GT6 or have I got to start all over again.

kaminobatto 15 May, 2013 @ 9:05 pm   43

I fell in love when I saw the shots, I am a hardcore GT fan and I will buy this at launch; however, I hope they enhanced the shadows and other low resolution effects that really disturbed the beautiful visual experience in GT5 and please let’s not even talk about premium and non-premium cars, it’s a Bluray disc for God’s sake and it’s more than capable of handling 1200 premium cars! No imports from PS2 please, it’s 2013!!! If they’re concerned about RAM restrictions the hard drive can be put to work a bit more if need be.
I went quickly through the list of enhancements and I like what I’ve seen so far but I hope the issues I mentioned above are seriously addressed in GT6.
Oh, and two more things, WHERE THE HECK IS GT for PS VITA????? AND PS4???? Come on guys! Listen to your fans!!!

EmpireNO 15 May, 2013 @ 9:06 pm   44

I’ll only buy this game for the PS4, no sale on the PS3.

kaminobatto 15 May, 2013 @ 9:17 pm   45

@Jono_WB I agree with everything you mentioned except importing cars from GT5, if they allow you to do that it will be very easy to cheat your way through the game and you’ll lose all the fun A or B Spec has to offer.
I know that 1200 cars are a lot to collect but if they listen to us fans and increase the number of races (instead of 45) this should address the problem of playing just to collect cars as then your collection will grow naturally while playing through the game. I’ve been playing GT5 since launch and I’ll keep playing it until I get my hand on GT6, I expect GT6 to keep me busy for at least that much time if not longer.

grimbarian 15 May, 2013 @ 9:34 pm   46

Please put in an open world element to this title.

Having all those fantastic cars and only getting to nail them round a track gets quite repetitive in the end.

You’ve said you want to do it before (and there was a hint of it for GT5) – so how about it for GT6?

I’m personally quite happy about it being announced for PS3 – GT4 was a great swansong for the PS2 and this will (I’m sure) be just as meaningful for the PS3.

BiGsMoO7ke 16 May, 2013 @ 12:11 am   47

We want a Vita and PS4 version :( show some love <3

TheMART 16 May, 2013 @ 12:27 am   48

Pretty logical why they bring it for the PS3.

The building of the GT5 PS3 engine was very expensive. They want to cash on the same engine on PS3′s Cell once more to recoup more money/make profit at last.

PS3 having 75+ mln units out there, is earning money.

Pretty sure though too, that after it sold a good amount of copies, the upgraded version/port for PS4 will be announced. I don’t think Sony wants to wait another 5 years before GT hits PS4.

A port to PSVita I can see happening in 2014. When there are some more PSVitas and some PS4′s sold already to sell the game to its users. They’re just roaming off the market… PS3 first.

Shirrako 16 May, 2013 @ 1:36 am   49

Over 100 Screenshots in HD! Woah

KylieDog 16 May, 2013 @ 1:40 am   50

Not interested for PS3, should be PS4 and Vita. Not buying.

Load all