Posted 22 May

PlayStation Mobile spotlight: Passing Time

lead image ScreenShot1

Hey there everyone! This is Ian from XDev Studio Europe, and I’m here with exciting news about a new PlayStation Mobile exclusive available later today.

We’re big football fans here at XDev and after a thrilling climax to the season, along with Fergie and Beckham’s retirement, we need something to see us through the long summer months until the new season kicks off.

ScreenShot2

We think we have the perfect answer to your post season blues with our new PlayStation Mobile exclusive Passing Time brought to you by Honeyslug, the developer behind the awesome Frobisher Says for PlayStation Vita and the forthcoming Hohokum for PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4 and PS Vita.

Passing Time is a different kind of football game – designed from the ground up to be fun, accessible and playable with one finger! We’ve put together the following trailer to give you an idea of the fun to be had.

In celebration of its release I spoke to Mark Inman, Co-Founder of Honeyslug, and asked him about where the idea for the game came from. Here’s what he had to say:

Passing Time, like many of our games, was born out of a conversation down the pub. A former colleague of ours was decrying the standard of flash-based soccer games. The next day, coder and designer Ricky Haggett had written a game where you passed the ball around a circle of players you had no control over by clicking on each player to move the ball. Sony saw it and absolutely loved it.

Free Kicks and Corner Kicks play almost like chess puzzles, you calculate the possible moves ahead to give the optimal scoring chance. I spent weeks studying set piece videos and trying to replicate the player behaviours before I had ones I was happy with.

ScreenShot9ScreenShot8

Different control interfaces were tried, but only the touchscreen interface we used on Passing Mode felt satisfactory, and translated well in the other modes.

The prospect of adding five-a-side to a football game where you didn’t control the players seemed like a tall order, but Antony, our new coder, rose to the task and produced a fantastic mode which exceeded our hopes. Then it was just a case of tweaking the gameplay and visuals.

We showed it at game events and it went down really well. The simple touchscreen play means it can be enjoyed by soccer and non-soccer fans alike. At one show, a lady brought her grandkids over to play it and ended up enjoying it so much, she ditched her kids and came back later on her own!

Passing Time features loads of game modes and awards, and there’s also a full team editor where you can change everything from names and kit, to individual player abilities (by earning skill stars) and even player heads! We hope you’ll sign up Passing Time on a long term deal for your PlayStation Certified device!

Passing Time is available on PlayStation Mobile priced at £1.99/€2.49

last image icon-512x512

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

21 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

looks fun and all but the fact is that most countries dont have ps mobile so its a pritty useless game right now

to bad tho

anunnakid 22 May, 2013 @ 2:11 pm   2

Please make PSM available in Sweden… we Swedish psvita owners deserve to be playing these games too.
So unfair…

Great!! Another game that people in many countries without PS Mobile access, can’t buy and play.

Why, Sony??

cowbanana 22 May, 2013 @ 2:25 pm   4

PSM is stone dead. Sony might as well just call it a failed endeavor, nail the coffin shut and put it to rest.
Not too much shame in admitting that you failed hard. I’m sure the two people who have access to the service will get over the “loss”.

Focus on proper Vita games instead, Sony, you still have time to do something on that front. Just don’t use garbage C-tier developers like you did for Resistance and R&C FFA.

jakster123x 22 May, 2013 @ 2:27 pm   5

I’m still not entirely sure how it actually works, that’s mainly due to my lack of attention span recently. However, i love the look of the video (it reminds me of Sensible Soccer, which is great :) and this looks like my first PS Mobile game purchase.

I think i only have £2.02 in my wallet at the moment, so this is perfect.

Good to see all the positivity surrounding PS Mobile here ;) I understand where you’re coming from though, Sony haven’t really handled this new service very well.

bennyrafal 22 May, 2013 @ 2:29 pm   6

Poland wants it… nice “Sensible Soccer” like game

Martingutten 22 May, 2013 @ 2:29 pm   7

I will buy this and give the developer and SCEE my money!

Oh, wait… SCEE won’t let me buy it, for no good reason at ALL! Get your S together sony before PS4, for I want to know you care about anything outside US/UK before I buy your next console.

infernalmonkey1 22 May, 2013 @ 2:31 pm   8

“I’m sure the two people who have access to the service will get over the “loss”.”

Durr hurr. Because America, Japan, the UK and Australia don’t exist.

Ariakan 22 May, 2013 @ 2:32 pm   9

No multiplayer ? :( offline or online)

cowbanana 22 May, 2013 @ 2:36 pm   10

“Durr hurr. Because America, Japan, the UK and Australia don’t exist.”

Because the rest of the world apparently doesn’t exist.

I didn’t think I’d have to spoon feed people the finer points of my commentary.

curtis_mufc 22 May, 2013 @ 3:10 pm   11

If I buy this using PS Mobile on my phone (Xperia Z), will it show up in my download list on Vita, or vise versa?

matdub69 22 May, 2013 @ 3:58 pm   12

@curtis_mufc. I have an xperia acro s. Yes a game purchased one shows up on the other device (i have purchased on each device).

@everyone else. you aint missing much. Most of playstation mobile games have been terrible. Admittedly there are a couple gems. Nunnageddon rocks! The pricing is inconsistent as is quality control. To top it off I picked up mensroom for $1.83 and jacob for 2.99 both which are polished and awesome and have trophies.

FBZ1501 22 May, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   13

This looks cool and quirky and I’ve been waiting for it for a while so will deffo pick it up.
Same there are no trophies on PSM to encourage more customers and also the price is tough to compare to games like Men’s Room and Jacobs…. Having said that, you can’t argue at a fun pixel art looking footie game for under two quid…

Now if only Sensible Soccer was released on the Vita… I’d pay good money for that!
Till then this looks ideal for a quick fun blast!
Good work!

VitalogyPJ 22 May, 2013 @ 6:58 pm   14

I’m amazed!

Listen, don’t take me wrong, I’m sure you’ve put good work into it but I would’t pay more than €0,79 because lets face it, there’s plenty iOS games cheaper and better.

Mark Inman 22 May, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

Hey Vitalogy

There’s a heck of a lot of content in there. I honestly believe if it launched as a core vita game, you would not be unhappy to pay €2,49.

Thanks for your comments

Mark.

Montpelier 22 May, 2013 @ 7:17 pm   15

Doesn’t look like it’s scaling to the Vita’s native resolution very well. Sort of ruins the pixel art aesthetic.

Mark Inman 22 May, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

Hey Montpelier,

Don’t judge it on the video, it looks best of all on the Vita. We were careful to ensure that, even though it’s not a native to the device, it looks amazing on the Vita screen.

Try it out, you’ll not be disappointed.

Thanks

Mark.

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 22 May, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   16

Hey, Ian, I’ve just bought it and I love it!

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 22 May, 2013 @ 9:27 pm   17

Guys, I bought this game and I guarantee you that you’ll love it. I’ll upload a Youtube video under the name PS3Gamervideos detailing why this game is great. The graphics look fantastic and it is so much fun to play! Moreover, the level of challenge increases through progression which adds an additional layer to the game.

Trust me, this game is brillaint! It’s nice to take a break from full-fledged football games such as Fifa in exchange for this game which only requires touch controls.

kivi95 22 May, 2013 @ 9:41 pm   18

Another PSM game sent to die because SCEE cacn’t expand the service even thought it’s been available for more then half a year.

LazyBones9000 23 May, 2013 @ 8:02 am   19

Can we have PSM for South Africa please?

swcoruscant 23 May, 2013 @ 11:42 pm   20

I bought this game for my Vita and I’m having a blast with it, and actually it looks really nice on the Vita screen.

Narrie6 29 May, 2013 @ 9:26 pm   21

Got my ps vita today just see no ps mobile in south africa. Please sony relaese itfor the rest of the world