Posted 30 May

Behind the scenes with Castle of Illusion HD

When we announced Castle of Illusion on PlayStation Blog back in April , we told you that we will come back to share our Behind The Scenes videos. I’m happy to say that we are releasing one of the Behind the Scenes videos today.

Click below to watch the game director and the art director of the original Castle of Illusion for Sega Genesis (1990) reflect on the development of the original game. In this video, key members of Sega Studio Australia will also give you a good glimpse of the upcoming re-imagined version of the game.

Thank you again for your support and if you have any questions, please let me know!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

26 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Chocobo115 30 May, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   1

If this goes well, are there any chance for Quackshot or World of illusion next? :D
Don’t mess this game up! the original was my first video game ever(that I remember at least)

hayzink 30 May, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   2

I’m also all in for this and hoping that we get a hd quackshot that was hands down my fave mega drive game.

Now just need capcom to add chip and dale remake to the upcoming ducktails and I’d be in 90′s Disney heaven.

chalky83 30 May, 2013 @ 5:16 pm   3

Vita version would be an instant buy! Can’t see me playing this on PS3 with the backlog of games I already have on there.

I want this on PS Vita D:

trffinal 30 May, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   5

nice game i will hope your team will make the Quackshot the best game from sega plz make that game for ps4

yeah ill pre-order this for my vita :D

…oh wait we cant

hayzink 30 May, 2013 @ 5:25 pm   7

Just watched the full video and I have to say it looks fantastic.
It really does seem to retain that classic platformer feel which I feel we have been sadly missing this gen.

What length is the game?

Alestes 30 May, 2013 @ 5:43 pm   8

Quackshot for Sega Mega Drive is probably my favorite Disney game so I really hope you make Quackshot HD after Castle of Illusion HD.

Gary485 30 May, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   9

The game looks very good, but at the same time I can’t help but dislike the artstyle when stacked up against the original. I think I would have preferred it if the game had a more retro look to the graphics just to scratch that nostalgic itch. Just because you’ve got really detailed 3D models and environments with modern animations doesn’t make it have any more charm than the original in terms of visuals. This video shows gameplay of the original and the remake, and honestly I prefer the style of the visuals in the original. Gameplay wise I couldn’t be happier though. The game looks like it plays stunningly well. Close enough to the original but updating the things that needed updating.

Also, this so should have been on Vita. I’ll get it on PS3 anyway since I have no choice and the game does look very good. I’m a huge fan of the original game. I would have got this on Vita if I had an option. In fact I’ll double dip if you port it to Vita at some point down the line. Do it. Does Sega hate money or something?

ChazzH69 30 May, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   10

I love the look and style to this new version. I also (like Alestes @8) love Quackshot and would love to see that next.

madmanwithabox12 30 May, 2013 @ 6:14 pm   11

I remember playing this back on the Mega Drive :D

Vita version would be ace. Please tell me there’s a Vita version!

AaronSOLDIER 30 May, 2013 @ 6:40 pm   12

Please please please localize Yakuza 1&2 HD!!!!!!!!

AaronSOLDIER 30 May, 2013 @ 6:41 pm   13

(For PS3 please, not Wii U).

Bahamut_MW 30 May, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   14

A vita version of this one would be pretty awesome =D

GalapagosaraY 30 May, 2013 @ 7:47 pm   15

I love how the forest level looks but im not getting the old games vibe from the other levels shown here at all. The bold and round design the original game had doesnt seem to show at all on the other levels of this remake which is a bit dissapointing. Hopefully it will be a good game though and capture the essence of the original. Also a Vita release is a must really we need more retro platformers for the Vita. 2D platformers have been almost non existant this generation from everyone else but the indie developers

GalapagosaraY 30 May, 2013 @ 7:48 pm   16

i wish the article would have let us hear the sound of the music aswell to see how it compares to the original it was barely noticeable due to the translation sound but i didnt fell i heard any of the melodies

BullishAnt 30 May, 2013 @ 8:27 pm   17

I hope the original Megadrive version game will be an unlockable extra.

Aceterix 30 May, 2013 @ 9:10 pm   18

Great call Bullish ant, this re-vamp looks promising but if the original is unlockable it’d be my goty.

THE_FORCE 31 May, 2013 @ 6:14 am   19

This looks utterly beautiful.

I’m surprised that anyone would want this re-imagined with retro style graphics for two reasons:

The first, and most obvious, is that it negates the whole point of creating a rework. Secondly, we’re becoming inundated with retro-looking 2D (indie) games in recent times. There’s no point owning a powerful system if your preference is for games that barely satisfy a quick fix!

I want this for the Vita, and I want it to look as gorgeous as the version shown here.

planeet32 31 May, 2013 @ 9:22 am   20

One more vote for a vita version. This is a no brainer if it comes to the vita! please make it so ;-)

mlataupe 31 May, 2013 @ 9:42 am   21

Oh man, so many memories…
I too would definitly love to play this on my Vita.
Still, super excited about this.
I’m probably getting old but for some reason I’m 10x more excited about this game than I’m about any upcoming huge AAA game on any platform.
Well done SEGA!!!

FrysteTurtle 31 May, 2013 @ 10:45 am   22

I’m looking forward to buy and play this game again, after I’ve finished it a dozen times during the good old Mega Drive (Genesis) days…
Still, I think that a PS Vita Version would be a perfect fit for this new incarnation of Castle of Illusion. I really hope the Developers will consider a Vita Version, that would be an Instant buy for anybody who owns the console (me included, of course!)

TufasPT 31 May, 2013 @ 11:56 am   23

Please consider a Vita version!

If done right, day one purchase for me

T.

aros2011 31 May, 2013 @ 11:59 am   24

I hope this gets announced for Vita, I would buy it day one for that. I don’t think I’ll pick it up on ps3 though, it’s so much more suited to Vita.

adumr82 31 May, 2013 @ 12:42 pm   25

Vita please.

mikalrkayn 3 June, 2013 @ 7:30 pm   26

Looks great,+1 for a vita version.