Posted 6 June

New Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII trailer, release date confirmed

Lead image B_fix

With E3 less than a week away, we’ve acquired a surplus of new content for the upcoming Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII to show you, including an electrifying trailer, and a variety of screenshots highlighting exotic new enemies and the action-orientated battle system.

Y_fixV_fix

If that isn’t enough, you’ll get a sneak peek of the city of Yusnaan, a glamorous and wealthy region in Luxerion, seemingly unaffected by the threat of the impending apocalypse.

A_fixE_fix

Fans that played the previous XIII titles might recognise an old acquaintance of Lightning’s. Why are the once allied companions at arms? We’re sure you have plenty of questions, so stay tuned for future updates at this year’s E3 expo.

As an additional treat, admirers of the track featured in the trailer, “The Saviour,” can download it today via the iTunes Store.

One last thing – we can confirm that Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII hits PS3 on 14th February 2014. Mark your diaries!

F_fixK_fix

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

Finally but why on ps3 again…. I want games for ps4..

AshrafBot 6 June, 2013 @ 12:20 pm   2

Big fan of the FFXIII series. This will be a day 1 buy for me.

belmont_gr 6 June, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   3

Wow I really look forward to this game since I enjoyed FF13! I haven’t played 13-2 to the end yet though.

Sorry but I will get this chance to troll a bit :-). I sort of got tired from Square and I am a fan of its games from the 90′s. Firstly for no reason you don’t release the best PSP game Crisis Core in PSN to play on Vita. Also you didn’t release Birth by Sleep and Star Ocean games. I have read somewhere that there are some sort of legal reasons etc but I don’t care, I just want the best PSP games on my Vita. Square is a very big company and should sort this out.
Also you ignore PSone imports so we can’t play Xenogears or Chrono Cross without paying a lot of money or hacking our PSPs. Next you skip the release of Final Fantasy Type 0 in USA/EU for no real reason. You release FF14 very late in PS3 when the interest has somewhat faded and lastly you somewhat trolled us by announcing the announcement of a FF game in the PS4 reveal conference.
Benjamin obviously nothing of it is your fault (you are very friendly with the community) but I wanted to share my opinion with other Playstation gamers and I think that there are some that agree with me.

Greetings

*Sigh* And still in the dark for FFX HD :(

I just can’t be excited for a new FF anymore ;(

Hopefully(i won’t hold my breath tho) we will see a PS3 & PS4 Exclusive FF game next week from SE?(don’t laugh everyone) :D Forget about Microsoft, SE they have done nothing for you(even FF sales this gen have been better on the PS3 than the Xbox 360 & they would of been even more better on the PS3 if you didn’t stab PS Fans in the back at that E3 all those years ago) :-/ Oh well let’s see what happens at E3 ;)

pinkplaybunny 6 June, 2013 @ 1:00 pm   6

I thought on the last trailer it said out this Autumn :-( Why is it now February! Still very excited for it, but ages away!

TomW344 6 June, 2013 @ 1:06 pm   7

@pinkplaybunny
That was for FF14.

dark_angel69 6 June, 2013 @ 1:18 pm   8

This trailer looks amazing. When I played Final Fantasy 13 it blew my mind. Lightning looked so hot too!! lol. But the when Final Fantasy 13-2 came out, I really enjoyed the game but not as much as the 1st and Lightning wasn’t as hot. But now I’m sick of looking at her but will still be buying this game for sure. I don’t see it being a day one purchase tho due to so many awesome games coming out especially for PS4.

I’m also more excited for Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD so this one will be a day one purchase. I’m looking forward to playing Lightning Returns but I have a bad feeling for it. Don’t like the idea of it having the world ending in real time meaning not being a proper long game so I can take my time and having to keep restarting to see new cut scenes. But it does look stunning

Glorparin 6 June, 2013 @ 1:30 pm   9

Oh Square Enix.. I haven’t played a single game from you that I’ve loved in the past 10 years.. Which is a shame, since FFVII, VIII and IX are in my top ten.

When are you gonna put back in exploration?

When are you gonna stop “trying to appease” to the western audience? (pro-tip: it doesn’t work, we’ve got enough s****y action as it is.)

I could go on, but I won’t.. You’ll not listen to me, why would you? The world runs on money, and I wish you luck with that. Just know that your games had a special place in my heart once :)

pinkplaybunny 6 June, 2013 @ 1:34 pm   10

@TomW344 No not the FF14 trailer, on the last Lightning return trailer they showed. Might have been in February at the ps4 announcement i think.

TomW344 6 June, 2013 @ 1:39 pm   11

@pinkplaybunny
Eh, at the reveal all they said was basically please be excited for E3, where we’ll show a new Final Fantasy. Nothing about FF13 Versus being a August release, for sure.

CoolRichy007UK 6 June, 2013 @ 1:44 pm   12

FF is boring il be glad when they scrap it 4 proper games on ps4

johnleonhart 6 June, 2013 @ 1:48 pm   13

Thanks for the update Benjamin, I’ll certainly mark this in my calender. Looking forward on getting a release date for FFX/X2 Remaster soon too ;)

Are you guys planning any Special/Collectors Editions for Lightning Returns Final Fantasy XIII as I currently am the owner of the 2 previous FFXIII games Collector Ed’s and would love to end the Saga with another :). Thanks

Benjamin Bateman 6 June, 2013 @ 3:54 pm

Hey John, glad to hear you’re excited – me too!

We’ve not announced any Special/Collector Edition at this point in time, but should this change you can expect us back on the blog to let you guys and gals know. :)

Astroduck777 6 June, 2013 @ 2:05 pm   14

Two mediocre FFXIII games, another that isn’t coming out until 2014 and still no remakes of V and VI. Please be excited…

johnnycide 6 June, 2013 @ 2:07 pm   15

Dear Square Enix,

Nobody likes Lightning.
Nobody likes Raiden.
Nobody cares that Lightning now looks a bit like Raiden.

Seriously though, can they just give he fans what they want and make a good FF game? Ditch the corridors, ditch the boring characters, stop showing off with style over content and make it fun again. Seriously, the last decent FF was X!

Wraxend 6 June, 2013 @ 2:31 pm   16

Well after the disappointment of 13 and its slightly better but still equally disappointing sequel, I think I’ll give this one a miss. Having said that on the off chance you do actually want to release a good game I’m sure we’d all be thrilled with you guys letting us know when we could expect Versus-XIII. But until then keep sailing in the wrong direction Square-Enix and good luck.

monoliet 6 June, 2013 @ 2:33 pm   17

squreenix lost al mi respect them buld up long jears
big map / exploration / customise armore weapons + atacks- magick…. u see on u carakters +i want to controle every team member not in stupid system u have in u latest games.

also online ff game , intresting but paying monthly = never

pinkplaybunny 6 June, 2013 @ 2:52 pm   18

@TomW344 I’m not talking about FF Versus, thats not this game and hasn’t had any mention of when we might see it :-) Unfortunatly as that looks awesome!

Here on this trailer at the end it says Fall 2013

Falcon1991 6 June, 2013 @ 3:09 pm   19

Final Fantasy Versus XIII & Kingdom Hearts 3.

That is all.

Lucreto 6 June, 2013 @ 3:13 pm   20

Very good. I will pre-order once a special edition is announced.

mazegami 6 June, 2013 @ 10:47 pm   21

meh. will probably buy this as I’ve been a final fantasy fan since 7 and keep hoping these (13) games will get better… but I just dont like lightning :/ I wish I did but shes just too damn moody! pleeeeease give us a bit of hope for versus at e3 and a release date for XHD (held off re playing x for a good year now when hd version was annouced and desperate to play it again!) I know its going to be a long time (if ever) for a 7 remake, but surely the sheer mass of fans asking for that would get you to go back to that style of game square?!?

Stonesthrow 7 June, 2013 @ 5:55 am   22

^ What 18 said.
I’ll pick this up too.

Terarded 7 June, 2013 @ 6:40 am   23

i thought this would be out in a couple of months not next year D: wahhhhh i neeed it. now.

Haven37 7 June, 2013 @ 11:15 pm   24

I’ve had FFXIII since 2010, and still haven’t finished it! Now there’s a third!?

I’ve picked up on XIII were I left off, and hopefully this time i’ll finish it. This delay gives me time to do that and finish XIII-2 haha XD