Posted 11 June

PlayStation: The best place to play

9012525558_cac2eca548_o

Millions of PlayStation fans around the world just watched our annual E3 press conference – marking the beginning to what will be an incredible week at E3 – and saw the amazing gaming and entertainment experiences coming to PlayStation in the near future. Above all else, what we showed tonight is our relentless focus on gamers and PlayStation’s long-standing legacy to building a gaming universe without boundaries.

One of the highlights of our event tonight was the official unveil of the PlayStation 4 system and price of £349/€399 *(RRP). The PS4 design is sleek and functional, and contains a powerful system architecture that will enable the industry’s best developers to create amazing titles.

inFAMOUS_Second_Son_Delsin Float

Our Worldwide Studios team has more than 30 PS4 exclusive titles in development, 20 of which will launch during the first year of PS4. The PS4 games feature 12 completely new IPs, including a game we unveiled tonight… The Order: 1886 from Ready at Dawn. We also provided updates to other exciting PS4 titles #DRIVECLUB, inFAMOUS: Second Son, Killzone: Shadow Fall, and Knack.

PS4 has incredible strength among the development community, and some of the best teams in the world displayed their ground-breaking games. Bungie Studios showed, for the first-time ever, live gameplay of the highly anticipated Destiny; Ubisoft featured Assassin’s Creed IV: Black Flag and Watch_Dogs; Square Enix showed Kingdom Hearts 3, Final Fantasy XV; and Warner Bros. showed the world premiere for Mad Max. We also reinforced our support for independent and smaller developers with nine new titles that will debut exclusively on PlayStation 4.

It’s clear that you’ll have no shortage of games to play when PS4 launches. Globally there are more than 140 games in development for PS4 across our own Worldwide Studios and our development partners, including over 100 that will be available within the first year.

9012525050_c930aefe23_o

We also announced that PlayStation Plus memberships will carry over to PlayStation 4, so members will have access to all of the benefits across PS3, PS Vita and PS4 for one price. These benefits include online multiplayer access, exclusive discounts, cloud game saves, and Instant Game Collection, which gives members a selection of games to discover and enjoy with their friends. To celebrate the launch of PlayStation Plus on PS4, we will offer #DRIVECLUB PS Plus Edition in the Instant Game Collection.

Sony Pictures Entertainment joined us onstage to announce that it is working on new original programming and unique access to entertainment content on PSN and PS4. Sony Pictures Entertainment is one of the most powerful entertainment brands in the world and we look forward to bringing our fans curated content that they’ll love.

In just over a year since its launch, we’ve built a library of more than 125 PS Vita dedicated games and the platform will only get stronger in the coming year. More than 85 games will launch by the end of the year, including The Walking Dead, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate, CounterSpy, Destiny of Spirits, Doki Doki, Killzone: Mercenary and Tearaway.

_sony_Screenshots_20914screenshot-01

The PlayStation 3 is heading into its seventh holiday season and our commitment is stronger than ever. The PS3 game lineup today is huge, starting this Friday with Game of the Year candidate The Last of Us, which is now the highest rated game for all platforms for 2012 and 2013.

We have more than 300 other titles that will launch before the end of the year, such as Beyond: Two Souls, Rain, Puppeteer, Batman: Arkam Origins, and Gran Turismo 6. In addition, we announced a PS3 bundle for Grand Theft Auto V and a new GTAV branded Pulse Elite headset that comes with an exclusive GTA soundscape.

It’s truly a remarkable time at PlayStation. We’re on the verge of launching the most powerful gaming system ever built with the PS4 and the entire PlayStation ecosystem is expanding with the continued growth and strength of PS Vita, PS3 and PlayStation Network. I want to thank PlayStation Nation for your passion and continued support. You’re the reason we continue to innovate, explore new entertainment possibilities and push the boundaries of play. I look forward to sharing more exciting details in the near future.

* Manufacturer’s recommend maximum retail price. Actual retail prices will vary.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

205 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first
Roxas598 11 June, 2013 @ 4:50 am   1

So PS+ is needed to play games online now?

Not that i’m complaining PS+ is still brilliant value for money

cognac-vsop 11 June, 2013 @ 4:51 am   2

I LOVE YOU JACK!!!!

quick question tho.. is the console region free??

Fred Dutton 11 June, 2013 @ 4:04 pm

Hey there everyone. I hope you all enjoyed the show last night. I know there are a few questions going around – I can’t answer everything right now but hopefully by the end of the week you’ll have all the info you’re after.

I will start off though by confirming that PS4 is indeed region free.

Great price! Few questions though:

1. PSeye is included in the bundle, shown in the picture?

2. What is the internal HDD’s size, is there any even? Or is it stripped and gotta place an own HDD for this price?

DriveClub free with PS+ is insanity. Day 1 buy…

Fantastic event today guys. I started watching it hoping you were actually listening to your consumers, halfway through I was grinning nonstop til the end. Completely dominated E3 today :)

Now.. If only we’ll find out whether PS3 headsets will work on the PS4..

AussieOutsider 11 June, 2013 @ 4:52 am   5

I would love to get a good explanation as to why the price in Australia is going to be $549? That’s quite a mark up compared to other places.

vonhammer 11 June, 2013 @ 4:53 am   6

really not happy about pay to play online. But with price,drm it’s hard to be outraged at the moment.

Oh and Drve Club + sort of pays for the year. my mind is full of blown right now.

bigbjorn1 11 June, 2013 @ 4:53 am   7

Yea, I thought online gaming on the playstation will be always free, not that I’m complaining about PS + free because I love it, but maybe for other people this is a step too far?

Megakizz 11 June, 2013 @ 4:53 am   8

Trindividual 11 June, 2013 @ 4:53 am   9

i wanted to ask the same questions as TheMART

arashi_85 11 June, 2013 @ 4:53 am   10

A great conference but a bit of clarity on the multi-player for non Plus subscribers and when non US customers can expect to see Game Streaming would be good.

SiborgSimoSctlnd 11 June, 2013 @ 4:54 am   11

Thank you for listening, Sony. Now just keep bringing us great games. And don’t destroy Microsoft too much, a little competition is a good thing ;-)

chinese_dude 11 June, 2013 @ 4:58 am   12

Couple of questions
1. will my PSN account name and my content (download list) migrate with me to the PS4.

2. They said PS3 games will be able to stream from the cloud, Does that mean its Backwards compatible.

nonkelvladimir 11 June, 2013 @ 4:58 am   13

A lot of great news. I always thought I would sit these new generation of consoles out for a year or 2 before buying something new, but you really got me considering buying it from day 1 now! Price is cool, games look great, PS Plus still rules!

Still some questions of course:

-> PS Plus = free multiplayer. What does this mean for non-Plus members?
-> PS Plus carries over to PS4. Will we also be able to re-download our PS3 titles on PS4 then?

dragon_unleashed 11 June, 2013 @ 4:59 am   14

when will the mobile app come?

when is the exact release date?

is the eye included in the 399 box?

how did it feel to hit microsoft where it hurts?

I almost (CENSORED) my pants when you named the: no drm , sharing with friends, no online needed and finally 399

kwiatkowski88 11 June, 2013 @ 5:00 am   15

Epic Conference!
Epic Games!
Epic Price!
The World is Yours!
THX!

wel seems gaikai will launch in U.S only in 2014 with no idea if it’s even coming too europe let alone if it’s gonna be U.K only like so many european things.

SwingerE11 11 June, 2013 @ 5:11 am   17

I didn’t think I would ever buy this on the day it comes out, coz I thought the price would be too high.
But it isn’t, so I’ll definitely get this when its out.
And what is the size of the hard drive?

Stonesthrow 11 June, 2013 @ 5:12 am   18

Ok I’m confused about the whole ‘online multiplayer access’ thing for Plus. The way I thought I heard it and figured it, you only get the singleplayer portion of a game on Plus, and have to buy the multiplayer if further interested.
Or are you actually saying that online gaming won’t be free on PS4 anymore unless you subscribe to Plus? That would be nothing short of a disgrace.

MorfiTM 11 June, 2013 @ 5:19 am   19

Really? I mean REALLY?!
Destiny of Spirits, God of War 1&2 HD, Flower, Dead Nation and The Walking Dead? THAT’S ALL FOR PS VITA TO COME?
Are you guys trying to make VITA the hipster handheld where you can shove us with tons of ports and indie only?
When I bought it it was advertised as a PS3 in your pocket. Show me games, show me AAA titles. Not those we know of, we want MOAR.

There are no incentives for new players to buy VITA. No blockbuster games, no price drops on memory cards which cost a load of money, and no price drop of the console itself.

I thought that when SCEJ stated that they will sell 5 milions of PSP&PS VITA this year was only a joke/deception/whatever and that buying a VITA will become “a necessity” for those of us who want to immerse in their games outside the house. Now I understand. You’re trying to kill it, diminish it’s role to PS4 second screen.

Good job PlayStation – you ducked up with the Vita…AGAIN!

WOW!!!:P I couldn’t sleep:D (just woke up at 5AM UK time) & the price of the PS4 is AMAZING!:P
So -
£349 = PS4
£429 = Xbox 1 :D :D :D
Smart move SONY;)

Oxybelis 11 June, 2013 @ 5:28 am   21

Where is AV multi out? It was in specs. I need it for audio.

dani_dreamcast 11 June, 2013 @ 5:32 am   22

I was really liking everything until the (sneaky) announcement about multiplayer access requiring PS+.
Moving free features behind a paywall doesn’t add value to PS+, it decreases the value of PS4 as a whole instead.

I actually had PS+ in very high consideration before this, since it offeded many additional features rather than taking away base features and putting them behind a subscription like other services. This actually hurts my view of the service and makes it less desirable for me.

It’s a shame because everything else was looking great, but this really decreases my levels of interests on the PS4 as well as how much I’m willing to pay for it now that I know that I can’t play multiplayer without paying an additional fee.

solarwind12 11 June, 2013 @ 5:40 am   23

So what i miss, gleaming few posts and everything seems like i expected it to be. Online for plus subs only, Seems ok, so long as price of sub remains same, though i guess ppl would just stack if not. only important info i needed (apart from rrp) wasn’t there, ?.. Hdd size (requirement ?) Release Date ?. please say when, we still on for pre-xmas ?.. hoping so, obviously pricing is still Very unfair, US versus UK versus poor old Aus. though we’ve come to expect these things, sadly. Am looking forwards to using vita much more as well, RP, reason i bought mine.. So am just hoping the wait for other info isn’t too long.
i hear theres a vid on Y-tube i must check out, something about taking the #!$ outa ms. how to lend/share games ?.. have to have a look.

ms fans are really trying to hate….ps4 yada yada yada …

undergroundgr 11 June, 2013 @ 6:32 am   25

r.i.p. microsoft

why can i only see a small portion of the text and blury. htc sensation. please fix.

DragonSlayerSLO 11 June, 2013 @ 6:51 am   27

Great job Sony. That’s how you do it. No always online crap, no used games limitation. Just games, games, games. Ok PS+ for online play sucks but if it’s gonna be the same as on PS3 I’m fine with it. I’m gonna buy it day one if I’ll get one.

XxReD1910MaNxX 11 June, 2013 @ 7:00 am   28

PS4 4 Life!!!!

thetiger300110 11 June, 2013 @ 7:09 am   29

Hey guys,

I’m really excited for the PS4 but I have one question. Is it region locked?

Thanks everyone at Playstation

RipplySpy0 11 June, 2013 @ 7:11 am   30

PlayStation Congratulations!
EPIC WIN against XboxONE

menze01 11 June, 2013 @ 7:28 am   31

Sony Fan for Life….Cnt wait to get mine…

dupytren 11 June, 2013 @ 7:37 am   32

Looks great, but $550 AUD is a joke.

cowbanana 11 June, 2013 @ 7:38 am   33

€399 and no DRM! I doubted… I stand corrected. You can have all my moneys this entire console generation. I might even pick up a PS4 early now. Thank you based Sony!

But with that said… The Vita, do you even care anymore? It’s simply pathetic that you have no real games coming for it. I didn’t buy it to play old indie games :( PATHETIC! SHAMEFUL!

Samipuss 11 June, 2013 @ 7:47 am   34

great confernece guys!!!
great product launch!!!
looking forward to it!!!
i think i have a little man crush on jack!!

Pure_Mind_Games 11 June, 2013 @ 7:49 am   35

DAMN IT SONY, JUST TAKE MY MONEY ALREADY

shadkite 11 June, 2013 @ 7:55 am   36

wow sony is most definetly the place to be, they have always had real gamers interests at heart ^_^ GO TEAM SONY

The-Dark-Arcisen 11 June, 2013 @ 8:05 am   37

Nice Show Sony, I love the video on youtube you made about how to share a game on ps4…ha

But Sony the PS VITA is dead, Where was the new games ? All i see it now is just a device to play remote ps4 games on

Kathyff 11 June, 2013 @ 8:15 am   38

I was really impressed with the conference! Especially Final Fantasy XV :D :D I wasn’t expecting to buy ps4 until a year or two after release, but now I’m really thinking about buying day 1 with that price tag! Your really showing microsoft who is boss!

dogwalker4000 11 June, 2013 @ 8:19 am   39

There’s a poll over at Destructoid regarding which console people will be getting.

It’s prettying damning for poor MS really…can’t help but think they shot themselves in the foot and only have themselves to blame.

…nevermind :D

pager99 11 June, 2013 @ 8:51 am   40

For those of you asking ps4 is region free!!!!!

Ivesy2000 11 June, 2013 @ 8:51 am   41

They said it would release in EU in 2013 but what about Australia?

shananagens 11 June, 2013 @ 8:53 am   42

can you upgrade the harddrive yourself

hayzink 11 June, 2013 @ 8:53 am   43

The Internet is all over the fact that Sony destroyed xbone at E3, people like us who read about this stuff online will avoid it due to its restrictions and lots of 360 owners are claiming they will jump ship.

The only real point people are trying to pin on Sony is that plus is mandatory for ps4 online, i think this is great as plus is a great service that is now going to give you content for 3 consoles at the same price. With deals and offers i have seen a 1 year sub for £20 online, i regularly see it for around £30 so its a no brainier really.
To people joining from ms this is still less than you played for live so why not also pick up a ps3 while you wait and play those exclusives you missed out on.

I just hope the mainstream press cover this event correctly this time unlike what the did at the xbone reveil, none of the papers ect reported o. The outrageous drm that ms has in place and i fear lots of casual buyers may pick it up not fully knowing whats in store for them.

MafiaCub 11 June, 2013 @ 8:53 am   44

Great conference, only things that worried me were during Assassins Creed and Destiny gameplay the ‘games’ froze up multiple times, and it wasn’t the stream of the conference cause people were still moving and cameras flashing… so what happened? was it really gameplay and the PS4 strained?

or was it pre-recorded gameplay, acted out as if live, and the video had issues?

Either way, it did not look good. But overall, really impressive. I did want to know HDD specs though, and if we go the new PS eye. (which looks very Kinect like)

hayzink 11 June, 2013 @ 8:59 am   45

I also hope that these additions lead to a much smaller install base for the xbone so that EA realise that giving ms timed exclusives as a reward for punishing there customers comes back to bite them big time with very low sale numbers for these titles.
Dont be tempted to jump ship for 3 party exclusives as given time they will port them to ps4.

The only thing hat I’m sad about is that I won’t get my hands on the new killer instinct or that cool looking plants vs zombies shooter(that i did not think for one min i would want) but out of the 2 we all know that pvz will come to ps4 just a shame the other one won’t.

Final word for Sony.
Thanks guys you have actually met everything i was wanting, no drm and a price point that is exactly the amount i was looking for to jump on board day one.
So thanks you rock.

ippogrifo 11 June, 2013 @ 9:01 am   46

Excellent news from the conference!!
However, I can’t help mentioning that I really really miss some news about The Last Guardian…if this project hasn’t been canned, then you must have something to show us, so why don’t you update fans about it?
You can’t just hope that we forget about it, ’cause we won’t!

hayzink 11 June, 2013 @ 9:03 am   47

@44

Sony sent out a spec sheet after the show and its been on the gaming sites ill copy pâté it for you.

Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation RadeonTM based graphics
Memory : GDDR5 8GB
500GB Hard disk drive

In the box
PlayStation®4 system × 1
Wireless Controller (DUALSHOCK®4) × 1 Mono headset × 1
AC power cord × 1
HDMI cable × 1
USB cable × 1

So the camera is optional purchase

Carnivius_Prime 11 June, 2013 @ 9:05 am   48

@hayzink
Plus is needed for online play now? I missed that I guess. Not that it’s a big deal to me personally. Plus pretty much saves money anyways with all the freebies and having the PS3 automatically back up your save files is pretty much essential for peace of mind. So I can’t see me ending my Plus sub anytime…

Hah, they’re really trying to bring Killer Instinct back? That was one of the most pathetic beat ‘em ups I ever played in the 90′s. Awful, soulless pre-rendered graphics, horrible character designs like they were invented by a 12 year old and stupidly over the top automatic combos that felt like I could walk out the room, make a sandwich, come back and my character would still be racking up the combo count. Pointless game. Couple of the music tracks were oddly catchy though. Like Fulgores and the main theme.

Rodia_73 11 June, 2013 @ 9:07 am   49

Paying to play online means I’m back to PC Gaming.

hayzink 11 June, 2013 @ 9:08 am   50

The new killer instinct looks pretty nice and is no longer in the same style as the n64 games.
Graphical style the game is still over the top looking

Load all