Posted 28 June

Total Recoil sets its sights on PS Vita

TotalRecoil_Vita_Logo

Atten-tion recruits! This is an intel report from Si at indie developer Eiconic Games in the UK. We’re glad to report that Total Recoil launches with a bang on the PS Vita on 3rd July in Europe, priced £1.99/€2.49. Download it and enjoy an explosion of arcade shoot ‘em up action.

There are only two rules in Total Recoil…..

1. Shoot everything that moves!
  2. Shoot everything that doesn’t!

It all started when I was ‘busy’ (with my feet up) playing Call of Duty on PS3, thinking to myself “These shoot-em-ups have come a long way since the old arcade games”. So this started me wondering how a modern game would look on an arcade cabinet. It would be top-down, the characters would have large heads, there would be wave after wave of baddies with flamethrowers, huge tanks and attack copters – and this is what you get with Total Recoil.

ConceptArt_BlueprintTrainYard_MakingOf

But developing on the PS Vita is better than an arcade machine and gives us more control than mobile and tablet games – we’ve made use of all the PS Vita’s controls. You use the left stick to move, the right stick to shoot and strafe. When you fire a missile you can trace its path around the screen using the rear touch pad. When your killstreak bonus grants you an air attack you can pilot your plane using the front touch screen.

TotalRecoil_Screenshot_02TotalRecoil_Screenshot_01

Think this all sounds simple? That’s right soldier – but only until you graduate boot camp! Before you earn your stripes we’ll guarantee you’ll get shot at, fried, blown up and electrocuted.

The biggest decision might be your choice of weapon. Will it be the laser-sighted assault rifle? The ‘slice ‘n’ run’ chaingun? The ‘boil-their-brains’ flamethrower? The ‘stinging’ hornet cannon? The ‘gut-busting’ grenade launcher? The ‘shoot-whilst hiding-round-corners’ missile launcher? Or the ‘make-like-a-storm’ electrifying tesla gun?

TotalRecoil_Weapon_FlamethrowerTotalRecoil_Weapon_MissileLauncher

Being an independent studio means we can make the game we’d like to play and add as many cool features that we can think of. In fact we had so many ideas it was a struggle to get them all into the game in the time we had. We have had great support all the way and we’d like to thank everyone who has helped – we couldn’t have made Total Recoil for PS Vita without Shahid and Spencer at SCEE – you’ve been outstanding marines!

As well as great gameplay and cool 3D animation we were lucky to be able to use the talents of legendary voice-over artist Tom Clarke Hill. You’ll have heard his work even if you don’t recognise the name – Tom has been the voice of Tony the Tiger for many years. He’s grrrrrrrreat!

Check out the game on Facebook for more behind the scenes details and updates. Move out!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

21 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks great love the art style kinda reminds me of Gun Bros. on Android.
I’ll definitely pick this up next week!

Have to ask: does it have a platinum trophy :rolleyes: ?

Shahid has been doing an amazing job lately I just hope that gamescom brings one or two real heavy hitters like GTA or FF.. the Vita community are begging for that one big huge amazing title ;)

Simon Credland 28 June, 2013 @ 5:10 pm

Great question, soldier!

I’m sorry to report that as it’s technically* a smaller scope game we couldn’t include a platinum trophy this time.

* – I say ‘technically’ as it’s still chock full of content!

luckysalt81 28 June, 2013 @ 4:17 pm   2

Looks awesome, I’ll pick it up at that price.

Level layout reminds me of Power Stone

aros2011 28 June, 2013 @ 4:21 pm   3

This game sounds awesome. I’ll definitely pick it up on day one!

How many levels will the game have? What is the approx play time? As long as we are looking at a 3 hour campaign ill be very pleased.

Hopefully you will do really well as we have to support awesome looking exclusives and I also hope you will be looking to bring further titles to the device if you make a profit?

Simon Credland 28 June, 2013 @ 5:17 pm

Glad to hear it! :)

The game has 40 levels which should keep you occupied for at least 12 hours if not more.

We definitely have our eye on bringing more titles to Vita, it’s such a great platform to work on!

Looks cool.

Is there any trailer or gameplay vids around?

aros2011 28 June, 2013 @ 4:25 pm   5

Just noticed this is only £2! Even two hours will be well worth it looking at how fun the game looks.

Shahid’s work is really starting to bear fruit! Definitely BestonVita.

infoxicated 28 June, 2013 @ 4:49 pm   6

Looks great, but I feel sick after watching that gameplay video – never was a fan of shakey-cam.

MaxDiehard 28 June, 2013 @ 5:05 pm   7

I would pay more than £2 for a game of this quality.

Carnivius_Prime 28 June, 2013 @ 6:02 pm   8

“These shoot-em-ups have come a long way since the old arcade games”

Not necessarily in a good way. For example the classic Robotron still provides me with a far more enjoyable, tense and satisfying shoot ‘em up experience than any consistently tedious entry in the Call of Duty franchise ever could.

Aces73High 28 June, 2013 @ 6:33 pm   9

Hey there buddy! From one Simon to another, I’ve gotta say that Total Recoil looks pretty cool from where I’m standing. And I do love me a good twin-stick shooter!

Since getting my Vita last year, I hardly ever get round to gaming on my iPhone and iPad anymore (or my 3DS either for that matter), but one of the few iOS games I tend to keep going back to, is Mingore 2: Zombies. I also used to really dig Guerilla Bob and the previously mentioned Gun Bros (the first one, hated the sequel). If Total Recoil turns out to be half as fun as that trio, I’ll be mightily pleased.

Aces73High 28 June, 2013 @ 6:42 pm   10

[SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC]:

While I’m here, I too wanted to take this opportunity to extend my gratitude to Shahid and the guys at SCEE responsible for bringing so many awesome indie games to PS Vita! I certainly enjoy playing triple-A, big budget games like the excellent Uncharted: Golden Abyss and upcoming Killzone: Mercenaries (who doesn’t right?), but from a personal standpoint, I’m all about the indies – and I’m loving the way Sony ‘hearts devs’ in a big way. The more otherwise largely unknown cult favourites that come to Vita the better. Period.

Games like Hotline Miami, Limbo, Machinarium, Thomas Was Alone, and Velocity Ultra have utterly vindicated my love for my personal handheld weapon of mass enjoyment (sorry, just trying to stay a little on-topic with the war theme!).

If Shahid and/or his ‘indie-hunting’ colleagues happen to see this, here’s just a few of my most favourite indie games – that I’d pay top-dollar to play on my Vita:

Botanicula
Super Time Force
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP
Teleglitch
VVVVVV

If you’re around Shahid, are any of these possibilities? I so hope so!

Aces73High 28 June, 2013 @ 7:41 pm   11

Hang on a sec… WOWSER, I’ve just seen the gameplay trailer that you’ve added to this post Si. Blimey, if I wasn’t sold already (and I was), I most assuredly am now! Once again, WOWSER!

Oh and by the way, I’m really digging the ‘Great Big War Game-esque’ artstyle. Big fan Si, I’m a big fan already!

Simon Credland 28 June, 2013 @ 8:10 pm

Haha – nice triple post combo, Simon!

Glad you like the trailer, and I’m sure you’ll love the game even more :)

FBZ1501 28 June, 2013 @ 8:45 pm   12

Looks like gun fun, I was expecting at this price this to be a basic touch controled game. So I’m made up to find out its a twin stick shoot!
Bargain price and it’d ride not to pick this up for a blast!

How big is the download?
Only got 40mb free on my 32gb card!

silmorat1 28 June, 2013 @ 10:10 pm   13

Looks ace…….can’t wait to play it…….

good the first descent indy game for the vita im happy to see this game :D

DoYouLikeMyID 29 June, 2013 @ 8:02 am   15

WOW! The game looks amazing!

And at that price! And a 12-hour campaign?

I think I’m sold :D

lianplay_1985 29 June, 2013 @ 11:58 am   16

crazy stuff to play I guess, looks very good:)

ten-bucks 29 June, 2013 @ 9:28 pm   17

reminds me of the old rambo games and the trailer on youtube was awesome. £1.99? SOLD!!!!!!!!

Its games like this from small developers that put some absolute rubbish to shame like black ops declassified and the port of ratchet + clank q force from so called established ones.

raiden3760 30 June, 2013 @ 4:29 pm   18

they are making PSVITA (CENSORED) what game is this is ps vita made for games like these.

CaptainDoggie 30 June, 2013 @ 8:10 pm   19

y

fps_d0minat0r 30 June, 2013 @ 10:59 pm   20

I agree with infoxicated.
They need to work on the camera, and zoom it out a little.
Make it like dead nation.
Infact why dont you make dead nation 2 for PS vita?

NoobBlast 3 July, 2013 @ 12:49 pm   21

I recently bought VITA, but i think i will buy this game due its price and gameplay combined.