Posted 10 July

PS2 sale starts today – what are your favourite #PlayStationMemories?

PSMemories_PS2_featured_image_PVWIMG

Hi everyone! Firstly, a huge thank you to everyone that has shared a favourite memory from the PSone era over the last two weeks. It’s great to hear after all this time that there is still such a passion for such a groundbreaking piece of hardware!

Onwards and upward though! Next, PlayStation 2. Released way back in late 2000, PlayStation 2 was the home of some of the best games ever, with all-time greats such as, Kingdom Hearts, God of War, ICO, Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater, Devil May Cry, Final Fantasy X, Tekken 5, Grand Theft Auto III and many, many more.

With over 150 million units sold (and counting), PS2 is to this day still regarded as one of the finest gaming machines ever created.

PlayStation 2 was the first home console I could claim as my own. My parents were quite anti-gaming and were convinced it’d melt my brain, so I’d only really play games when I snuck to the arcades with my brothers. However, after a lot of begging (and saving my lunch money), I was finally able to get one for my birthday. My first game was Tekken Tag Tournament. Sadly I didn’t have a memory card for a while, so I’d barely experience the unlockable characters before I’d switch it off for bed!

PlayStation 2′s backwards compatibility allowed me to go back and experience some important PSone games I had never been able to play, and both my PS one and PS2 library continue to grow to this day! I’ve well over 100 titles just for PS2 – about 1/5th of my games collection!

To read more about my PS2 memories and to share your own, head over to the PlayStation forums where I’ll have some extra memories to share. Also keep checking the PlayStation website, as well as the official Facebook and Twitter pages for some interesting articles and posts for you all to get involved in!

To help nudge your memory we’ve discounted a few classic PS2 titles on PlayStation Store, so make sure you pick up a bargain or two!

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon (Not available in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Poland, Sweden)
Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35
Additional 10% for Plus subscribers

Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (Not available in Denmark, Finland, Norway, Poland, Sweden)
Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35

Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35

Twisted Metal Black
Was €7.99/€6.49/AU$11.75, now €3.99/£3.19/AU$5.85

Shinobi
Was €9.99/£7.99/AU$14.45, now €4.99/£3.99/AU$7.35

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

125 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

Carnivius_Prime 10 July, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   1

Picked up the Maximo games and Godhand when they were in a sale before. Wasn’t keen on Godhand at all but the Maximo games are still very enjoyable and I’d like Capcom to do a new one. I got Okami when it was a Plus freebie but I didn’t enjoy that and deleted within the week.

Do you know if Lego Batman 2 is going to be on sale and for as cheap as it is currently on the US store? That’s a game I’ve been wanting on Plus for ages but I’d happily pay for it if as cheap as the US have it currently ($7.50 for PS3 and $5 for Vita)

hilts663 10 July, 2013 @ 12:06 pm   2

Not a single [DELETED] was given that day…. Summer sale, and please, more than 20% discounts :X

No Just Cause or Conflict games?
Maaan, will anymore be added?

GahLakTus 10 July, 2013 @ 12:08 pm   4

None of the overpriced rockstar games on store?

Id love to get warriors and manhunt. But not at those prices.

Meh.. Any news on summer sale? I am really curious to see if they put borderlands 2 on sale .. Or should u buy it now :S

cowbanana 10 July, 2013 @ 12:11 pm   6

Totally pointless selling PS2 games when I can’t buy the best classics like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (Lucifer’s Call).

When do we get this on the EU store?

Witcher70 10 July, 2013 @ 12:12 pm   7

Kingdom Hearts ????

Jawad Ashraf 10 July, 2013 @ 12:31 pm

A classic in all rights that unfortunately isn’t available on PS Store. But do look forward to the retail HD release in September.

I’m disappointed.
Sorry.

JadoreSox 10 July, 2013 @ 12:13 pm   9

The range of PS2 games available on the store is just too lacking to make me excited for a sale.

whiteboy38rams 10 July, 2013 @ 12:14 pm   10

Could we have Timesplitters 3 Future Perfect as loved that game

Will Metal Gear Solid 2 and Metal Gear Solid 3 for Vita also have a discount?

ReZonanZ_44 10 July, 2013 @ 12:15 pm   12

Another week without a ps vita sale….
Another week with old ps1-ps2 game sales
Come one Sony you can do better than that!
There are so many ps vita owners waiting for a ps vita sale…

TomW344 10 July, 2013 @ 12:16 pm   13

Great sale here, but is there any chance to see Dark Cloud 1/2 on the store at any point? There aren’t too many PS2 classics on the store, which is a shame considering PS2 had some of the best games.

Jawad Ashraf 10 July, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

I have looked into Dark Cloud and Chronicle but it doesn’t seem likely yet.

MGS2 and 3 HD and no Peace Walker? Really disappointing…

Jawad Ashraf 10 July, 2013 @ 12:33 pm

Peace Walker wouldn’t really count in this since it wasn’t a PS2 title.

Speedfreak_R 10 July, 2013 @ 12:17 pm   15

If only God Hand was playable on my Vita..

pokersean 10 July, 2013 @ 12:17 pm   16

Great. Now give us Playstation mobile in Ireland please. And a full Summer sale.

PIREDERAS 10 July, 2013 @ 12:17 pm   17

@ Jawad

Zone of the Enders HD for me!

I believe there could be more PS2 era games in the sale (HD or not). Devil May Cry HD Colletion? Ratchet & Clank HD Collection? Metal Gear Solid HD Collection? Why no Peace Walker HD?

Jawad Ashraf 10 July, 2013 @ 12:35 pm

Peace Walker isn’t a PS2 title.

The others were considered but sadly we weren’t able to include them within this sale.

ReZonanZ_44 10 July, 2013 @ 12:17 pm   18

ops,I meant: “Come on Sony”…

Nightmare966 10 July, 2013 @ 12:17 pm   19

Summer Sale starts on 17-07 and ends on the 28th, as seen on the Store ;)

Heh, so your first game was TTT Jawad? On a funny coincidence, it was my last (got it brand new) PS2 game, got it it a few years ago, heh.

Question here: How comes you guys haven’t put the Ratchet, Jak and Dater and Sly Cooper trilogies on sale? They were your PS2 mascots! I do believe Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection PS3 should have been here :/

Jawad Ashraf 10 July, 2013 @ 12:38 pm

Yep, I was a big Tekken fan so it was the only game I even had eyes for at the time. The character select music is still one of the best, with fond memories of also playing it in the arcades.

whiteboy38rams 10 July, 2013 @ 12:18 pm   20

Will be getting Cel Damage as I remember kicking my sons butt on it , unfortunately the roles have reversed now :(

stathmos 10 July, 2013 @ 12:19 pm   21

Anyone who hasn’t played Okami HD yet is missing out on an awesome game!

Nightmare966 10 July, 2013 @ 12:22 pm   22

And sorry to double post on here, but when is the PS2 offer ending? In 14 days, like last time, I guess?

MASPALOMAZ 10 July, 2013 @ 12:22 pm   23

Still the greatest ps2 game of all time BLACK is not available sadly ;(

Thanks for trying tho.

cowbanana 10 July, 2013 @ 12:23 pm   24

That long introduction talking up the PS2 era and then… the utterly underwhelming list of games :(

SCEE strikes again.

fattyuk 10 July, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   25

no killzone!? dam

MASPALOMAZ 10 July, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   26

@nightmare

please dont steal my leaks i already posted 11:58 here

PS3 Summer Sale starts 17th july and goes for 6 weeks according to leaked image from the ps3 psn store (little graphic in the last of us logo).

Please add more?
How about Rockstar games?
MGS:PW HD? If that’s on the PSP sale then I’m furiously disappointed. That’s 2 weeks ago and it was a drag waiting for this over-anticipated sale. The ps1 sale was great. This isn’t.

MaxDiehard 10 July, 2013 @ 12:26 pm   28

@Carnivius_Prime

LEGO Batman 2 on Vita isn’t worth anything. It’s an extremely bad 3DS port.

Liam_Croft 10 July, 2013 @ 12:34 pm   29

It’s funny how all the games shown in the picture, aren’t actually in the sale.

Another disappointing sale, I might pick up the Zone Of The Enders HD Collection.

pedrocas170 10 July, 2013 @ 12:35 pm   30

Can we expect Battlefield 3 dlc discounts in the next sale?

A_Nonny_Moose 10 July, 2013 @ 12:37 pm   31

Way to get me excited with the banner, only to offer none of the games shown in it.

@Nightmare966 where did you see about the psn summer sale?

MASPALOMAZ 10 July, 2013 @ 12:40 pm   33

@pedrocas170 BF3 premium already was on sale about a week ago. It was half price! Not sure why it wasnt mentioned in this blog, or maybe i missed it. So its not likely anytime soon i suppose for bf3 dlc sale?

@Blog /Store would be nice to get info if we can look forward to a(nother) ps3 sale today if its not a problem ty:)

I know this is impossible:( but i wish every PS2 game was on PSN now(+ also playable on the soon-to-be PS4) A few ‘Classics’ i can think of are TimeSplitters 1/2&3(FP), GT 3&4, The Getaway 1&2, ApeEscape 2&3, BurnOut 3, 007 Nightfire, Quake 3:R, SSX 1/2&3, SW:Battlefront 1&2, Tatio Legends 1&2(i LOVE those collections):P + LOADS more;)

Thane64 10 July, 2013 @ 12:41 pm   35

This sale is pants, probably due to most of the PS2 ‘classics’ (and I use the term loosely) being pants :/
I was hoping for the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy, Just Cause or Red Dead Revolver; instead we get the same games on sale that are in all the sales involving PS2 titles (Deus Ex was £2 the last time it was on sale btw…)

Nightmare966 10 July, 2013 @ 12:44 pm   36

The whole summer sale thing is written on the Store itself. Boot it up and check under TLOU big banner, it’s there, half hidden because it’s really small. If I didn’t read it on GAF I wouldn’t have even noticed.

Ice_Dragon_007 10 July, 2013 @ 12:45 pm   37

IS there a reason why we only get a PS Plus discount of 10%, when the US Store gets a lot bigger discount for PS Plus?

Also, big thanks for finally including the Australian prices of the games on sale.

Stiwaki 10 July, 2013 @ 12:48 pm   38

No sales for the PS Vita ? Thanks

immergingvirus 10 July, 2013 @ 12:49 pm   39

Any chance of getting Tourist Trophy on the store or even a vita version

zalwelgoedgaan 10 July, 2013 @ 12:51 pm   40

I’d buy Twisted Metal Black, but seeing how the PAL version got the cutscenes neutered, no chance.

andrewsqual 10 July, 2013 @ 12:53 pm   41

Any chance you will flip the switch in the PS3 that just simply enables us to play the PS2 games off the disc since PS2 emulation can be done completely in software now?
Any of the PS2 games that have been put on the PS Store to date are an EXACT size of the ISO file of the same game so there is no extra coding being put into these releases. Just activate the drive in the console already.
PS1 games require modifying and being compressed down, which means any games with licensed music can never be released on the store. Which proves that the PS2 Classics you put up are the exact same thing as the disc releases back then. Look at all the licensed music in the GTA PS2 games. There is no way those games could be released on the PS Store if it was modified in anyway, and they aren’t.

So please just flip the switch already or explain why you won’t do it.

Noisepurge 10 July, 2013 @ 12:56 pm   42

thats pretty evil putting ICO/SOTC, Killzone, Jak and Ratchet on the image but not have those discounted? :D

assassin2k 10 July, 2013 @ 12:57 pm   43

How about a proper Vita sale or some permanent price drops? Some of the titles are starting to look high priced for their ages and the Vita always seems to get missed out of these sales. Given the poor sales (not a hater, I love my Vita) it would certainly help.

aboood619 10 July, 2013 @ 12:58 pm   44

Just a heads up that Maximo 2 and God hand both have 60 Hz option.

Any other sales this week? i’d really want to see a sale on Capcom titles and DLC.

@nightmare thanks,just saw it myself

cowbanana 10 July, 2013 @ 1:04 pm   46

LISTEN UP SCEE! Thank you.

Why is the Pulse wireless headset app not available on EU PSN? It just got updated with a profile for The Last of Us.

Why don’t we have this? You sell the headset in Europe. Why can’t we have the app? What kind of apathy is this? Such abysmal treatment of your loyal customers. Most Pulse owners in Europe probably don’t even know that the app exists…

cowbanana 10 July, 2013 @ 1:07 pm   47

I forgot to add that GTA V will have a custom audio mode for the Pulse headset as well. Don’t you think your European customers would like that?

BadBoy69ers 10 July, 2013 @ 1:08 pm   48

How bout syphon filter omega strain playstation need more syphon filters best game to date still play 1st one now need number 2 aswell come on.sony give us a syphon filter hd collection

Bealinator 10 July, 2013 @ 1:11 pm   49

Got to laugh at the people who are moaning at the lack of a Vita sale… anyone with a tiny bit of a brain could tell you that PSP/PS3 will be next followed by Vita – all in chronological order like the run up to the PS4 reveal. Be patient, for christ’s sake!

Good sale, a few items tempt me.

ThugETH 10 July, 2013 @ 1:12 pm   50

Do these all work on PS3?

Load all