Posted 10:23am

Ratchet & Clank Nexus coming soon to PS3

RnC_Into_The_Nexus_Cinematic

Since completing the Ratchet & Clank Future saga (Tools of Destruction, Quest For Booty, and A Crack in Time) we’ve had a really amazing time expanding the universe of our intergalactic heroes. From creating the first four-player co-op Ratchet & Clank experience for the whole family to enjoy with All 4 One, to returning with the first all-new R&C competitive mode in QForce, we’ve challenged ourselves to bring new types of play to the Ratchet series.

RnC_Into_The_Nexus_Villains

At the same time, we love single-player Ratchet adventures. We’ve continued to generate new ideas for weapons, gadgets, and planets. It feels like the time is right to revisit Ratchet’s personal story arc.

RnC_Into_The_Nexus_RepulsorRnC_Into_The_Nexus_Heli

We’re excited to announce that Ratchet and Clank are returning this year on PS3 with an all new original single-player epilogue to the Future games. Under the creative direction of Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time creative director Brian Allgeier, Ratchet & Clank Nexus is a story-driven platform adventure, with the humour and heart that make the franchise so beloved.

Check out the first trailer here:

As you can see from the trailer, Nexus has a bunch of new crazy weapons and gadgets. Gravity is one of the themes of the game: you’ll experience zero-G space, you’ll use gravity-defying new gadgets, and you’ll manipulate gravity to solve brand new Clank puzzles.

RnC_Into_The_Nexus_OmniblasterRnC_Into_The_Nexus_vortex

The game will be available for download on PSN this holiday season. It’s our biggest downloadable Ratchet & Clank game yet, dwarfing the size of both Quest For Booty and QForce. We’ll be bringing you more news soon.

RnC_Into_The_Nexus_vista

As always, for all the latest, stay tuned to the Insomniac Twitter and Facebook page. I’ll try to answer whatever questions I can in the comments below.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

94 Comments 22 Author replies
Show oldest first

Looks like a decent R&C game but I feel as though there have been far too many of them recently and the brand is somewhat diluted.
I’m surprised this isn’t a PS4 title, it would have been a bigger announcement to be taking R&C to the next generation.

madmanwithabox12 11 July, 2013 @ 10:33 am   2

Awesome stuff, love R&C. One question though…

Why the name change? I know it’s a tradition to have a different name for the NA and EU versions, but this one seems so pointless (-into the). Besides which, the Future series shared names across both territories.

It was nice to see you try something new with A4O and Q-Force, but I’m really glad you’ve gone back to a more traditional R&C platform adventure, the Future series was great. Can’t wait!

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 12:11 pm

Thanks! We had a ton of fun doing something a bit different, and we think a lot of fans enjoyed it to. That said, we’re also really excited to be getting back to the roots of the series. Been saving up so many good ideas the last few years

Cube1701 11 July, 2013 @ 10:35 am   4

Looks amazing. SCEA confirmed a price in the USA – will this be £19.99 or £24.99 over here?

Fred Dutton 11 July, 2013 @ 11:36 am

It’s going to be €29.99 in EU. I don’t have a confirmed £ price to hand but as soon as I do I’ll give you an update.

goldeneug 11 July, 2013 @ 10:36 am   5

How big will this game be? Bigger than Crack in Time?
Massive fan of the story driven series…..

Fred Dutton 11 July, 2013 @ 11:38 am

I’m hoping to get James on here when the US wakes up later this afternoon. He should be able to comment on game size then!

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 12:13 pm

It’s smaller than A Crack in Time (As the price might lend you to realize), but it’s much larger than say Quest For Booty or Q-Force.

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 12:14 pm

I’ll be back with more comments in about an hour or so. Gotta make a quick airport run (which is why I’m up at 4:15am Pacific Time!!)

cowbanana 11 July, 2013 @ 10:42 am   6

Wow, Sony… did the PS3 really need another R&C game? The resources would have been much better spent on making a quality Vita R&C game.

But noooo… Vita geta the utterly horrible QForce port that looks and runs like a half-dead two-legged dog.

Why do you hate your own platform so much?

Awesome can’t wait for this one!

PSN store only? Then sorry, i will not buy anything from PSN store until “delete Singstar from my XMB” option.

MaxDiehard 11 July, 2013 @ 10:53 am   9

@madmanwithabox12

The ‘Future’ title addition was US only, it never stuck here so they dropped it.

@cowbanana I agree, the R&C series has been milked for too long to cater to the current generation of multiplayer addicts who only like shooters. A Vita singleplayer only experience is desperatlyey needed.

@goldeneug

The game is shorter than ACiT, but larger than A41 and QForce.

@Podyman

There is a retail version coming too. It’s not digital only.

WhiteBishop12 11 July, 2013 @ 10:55 am   10

James,

Surely we will see it on PS4 no?

Maybe even the vita?

Possibly some cross-buy love aswell? :)

European_Gamer 11 July, 2013 @ 10:56 am   11

Good you haven’t completely stopped making PlayStation games.

MaxDiehard 11 July, 2013 @ 10:57 am   12

@WhiteBishop12

I wouldn’t count on it. Insomniac jumped ship and started its multiplatform debut with a generic shooter. Their quality is seriously waning.

toxic-inferno 11 July, 2013 @ 10:57 am   13

This looks exciting! Nice to see the series return to its roots, with what looks like a solid, condensed and satisfying story.

However, now both Sly Cooper and Ratchet have had new games this year… I can’t help but notice that there’s a distinct lack of Jak and Daxter… :(

Nightmare966 11 July, 2013 @ 10:58 am   14

Hey, it’s true, it looks like you guys ommited the Retail disc part for the EU post. Are you not considering a disc release? Even Quest for Booty had a disc release!

Fred Dutton 11 July, 2013 @ 11:39 am

It’s currently a digital-only release. CORRECTION! There will be a disc release!

Kelvin1309 11 July, 2013 @ 11:02 am   15

Hey James
I have been playing R&C games since RC3 on ps2 and I love it
Thanx for q force really good on ps3 and also happy for the crossbuy
I just can’t wait for Nexus

I just wanna clear one ting
Is R gladiator coming to Europe
I’ve been waiting forever
Please could you reply on the release date (estimates) for gladiator and nexus :-) Please please Please

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:15 pm

We’ve been wondering about Gladiator ourselves. It’s caught in some approval process or something while trying to iron out a few of the bugs from the US release. Hoping to have news on it soon.

Nexus is Holiday 2013

MaxDiehard 11 July, 2013 @ 11:07 am   16

@kelvin1309

It has been said countless times already that they will announce a release date when the game is ready.

I want Ratchet Gladiator as much as you as it was my very first R&C game. A little patience goes a long way.

Kelvin1309 11 July, 2013 @ 11:10 am   17

@MaxDieHard
I Nevada knew bro …. Thanx
Its my first R&C post
I just hope it gets ready by this week

SolidGreg 11 July, 2013 @ 11:12 am   18

is this a digital only game??? :?:

MaxDiehard 11 July, 2013 @ 11:14 am   19

@SolidGreg

Look at my previous posts, there is a retail version coming too.

madmanwithabox12 11 July, 2013 @ 11:14 am   20

@MaxDiehard

I was referring more to the fact this game is called “Into the Nexus” in the States, but just “Nexus” over here. Strikes me as a pointless change. Especially considering this is now part of the Future series, which all kept their original names over here (Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time).

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:16 pm

There’s always some legal, localization, cultural, or marketing reason for these things, usually which aren’t very interesting and too much of getting into the details of the sausage making.

MaxDiehard 11 July, 2013 @ 11:17 am   21

@madmanwithabox12

I agree that the change is pointless, but Insomniac is an American company, so technically we’re the ones getting the changes whilst they hold the originals.

They like to mess with us overseas.

Nightmare966 11 July, 2013 @ 11:18 am   22

@20: This way they just have to use one single name in all EU. You plaster one single logo and that’s it :P

After all “Into the Nexus” doesn’t really look good in quite a few languages when translated (Spanish, for one).

madmanwithabox12 11 July, 2013 @ 11:20 am   23

@Nightmare966

You have a point actually, I didn’t think of that.

This News makes me…SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAPPY! ! ! :P :P :P

Now please make a PS4(only) R&C game Insomniac PLEAAAAAAAASE;) Just thinking about that makes me DROOOOOL:D

Bjarno86 11 July, 2013 @ 11:35 am   25

@MaxDiehard

The US blog post mentioned a retail release and it was confirmed in the comments. But this post has no such mention, so it’s probably only digital in EU. Hopefully someone from Insomniac can confirm this.

dark_angel69 11 July, 2013 @ 11:43 am   26

This is great news. Can’t wait for it!! Day one for me! All4One was a nice wee game and made a nice change. Q-Force was a big disappointment especially the multiplayer. But I’m so happy about this! A Crack in Time was quite an amazing game.

I noticed in the US blog you wrote $29.99. What is the price for us? £19.99 perhaps?

supersmith2500 11 July, 2013 @ 11:44 am   27

So wait, this game is getting only a digital release for Europe. Otherwise it’s only digital for Europe and US gets a retail copy, Insomniac is dead to me. Used to be an awesome company until after All 4 One.

Are you sure this game is also getting a retail release for Europe as well or is it just digital only?

Witcher70 11 July, 2013 @ 11:48 am   28

Can you give a specific time frame other than “holiday 2013″ we are not American !!!! Also PS4 is in the same launch window…. So theres bound to be a PS4 version in the pipeline. Well guess we’ll find out at Gamescom :D

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:18 pm

I think Holiday 2013 usually translates to 4th Quarter over here? It’s still too early to nail it down too much more specifically than that. There’s so much coming out this year

Suzzopher 11 July, 2013 @ 11:54 am   29

Digital only in Europe? No thanks. I’ll be importing from the States then.

Ignus-Dej 11 July, 2013 @ 11:56 am   30

@supersmith2500
Good question. I won’t be getting this game if it’s digital only here in Europe.

Suzzopher 11 July, 2013 @ 11:57 am   31

Also cheaper to import the American version than buy the digital only version here.

Wow, so after the amazing “success” Fuse was and after you cuddled with the Xbox One you are back. Welcome home.
I had the unfortunate pleasure to play All 4 One trough my Plus subscription and hated it with a passion. The whole tower defence stuff after that I didn’t buy after the demo. I’m glad R&C is back where it should be, great platforming, shooting stuff with fun weapons and an amazing story. Unfortunately it’s not a full game and the PS4 is looking at me so I guess I won’t play this Nexus thing.

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:19 pm

Sorry to hear that! We think with the value the game offers and with how fun it’s shaping up to be already, you should give it a shot

MarSSteR 11 July, 2013 @ 11:58 am   33

AND we need a special vita NEW TITLE only (like the new Lego one)!

supersmith2500 11 July, 2013 @ 11:59 am   34

@Fred
”It’s currently a digital-only release.”

Oh you are kidding me? We’re only getting a digital release while US gets a retail release? That’s it, IG is totally dead to me. I mean seriously other previous R&C games HAS a retail release and you’re telling me this game won’t be getting a retail release for Europe. Seriously enough of this IG. They used to be a great company until after All 4 One they went downhill for me. First Vita Q-Force got delayed, then we had to wait for Ratchet: Gladiator which is still not here and now no retail release for Europe. Forget it IG, no retail release NO SALE!

supersmith2500 11 July, 2013 @ 12:01 pm   35

@Fred:
Why no disc release? IG’s decision just to fuel our anger?

Suzzopher 11 July, 2013 @ 12:02 pm   36

@supersmith2500

Just import it from America? It costs less than £20 if you do that and you get the physical copy.

dark_angel69 11 July, 2013 @ 12:03 pm   37

I just noticed people already asked the question I asked so can ignore mine. lol. Don’t know how I missed their comment.

But anyway I would also like to know about why we are getting digital only and they get retail. I hope Amazon.co.uk will sell the american copy of the game if that is the case cos I want a retail copy. My HDD is already too full from PS+ games and I have so much to delete so can download more. Retail copy is important here!

p.s Fred I don’t know if its just my laptop, internet or this blog but this blog is loading far too slow on my screen. Everything else is opening up loads faster even the US blog.

supersmith2500 11 July, 2013 @ 12:10 pm   38

@Suzzopher:
I hate importing but IG’s decision to only release the game via digital for Europe is ridiculous. Seriously what on earth is wrong with Ted and what is he thinking!? Used to be great until after All 4 One, they’re not anymore. Used to love IG but guess what? I don’t now. Digital Only, no thanks.

MarSSteR 11 July, 2013 @ 12:14 pm   39

Fred, you get the game in once, or have to pay for 66% and later for the other 34% (like NFS Most Money :p)?

ryannumber3gamer 11 July, 2013 @ 12:15 pm   40

The game looks great so far but its disappointing that the game will not have a retail release. I’m wondering will this use the Ratchet Future designs or the All 4 One designs?

Now when will we get an update on Ratchet Gladiator HD since we’ve been waiting well over a month for a game the US got a good long while ago.

Ignus-Dej 11 July, 2013 @ 12:24 pm   41

@ryannumber3gamer
The HD port of Deadlocked is a mess. Don’t wait for it.

supersmith2500 11 July, 2013 @ 12:25 pm   42

You know James, I have to say I’m sorry I’m going to have to skip this game because with only being digital only for Europe while America also gets a Retail release. You’re making want to leave the fanbase and move on. Please IG you used to be a great company to me but after All 4 One. You start to go downhill with the franchise first handing over ports to crappy developers, then we had to wait 6 months for the Vita version of QForce which turned out choppy, then you made us wait for Ratchet Gladiator and now this. No retail release for Europe so why decided not too? There used to be retail copies of previous R&C games. Like I say no retail copy, no sale. Is it IG’s decision or SCEE’s?

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

The decision to release on disc and/or retail is decided per territory. We always love for there to be retail versions of our games and encourage that whenever possible.

In terms of the ports, Insomniac can only handle so much. We like to focus on our new games and making them work on the platform we have experience with on the PS3.

Gladiator isn’t really in our hands. Idol Minds and SCEA handled the port, and the port is done and released in North America, as you well know. I’m not sure what’s been holding it up here though last I had heard they were trying to iron out a few bugs from the US release and it was in QA approvals.

Nightmare966 11 July, 2013 @ 12:28 pm   43

@supersmith: Most likely a SCEE decision since they are the publishers.

@Fred: Oh well. Is the decision 100% taken, or would you still consider a physical release if there was enough demand? I’m sure you have your internal reasons to make it digital only, but… :/

@James: Hi! I was wondering if you’re able to answer me in regards of a technical question: are you aiming for 60 FPS, or will you mantain the 30fps decision?

Thanks for your time :) Can’t wait for the game myself!

Ignus-Dej 11 July, 2013 @ 12:31 pm   44

@Nightmare966
Do you think James is going to answer that? lol

supersmith2500 11 July, 2013 @ 12:31 pm   45

@Nightmare966:
*sigh* SCEE -_-

we need a retail Version!

Fred Dutton 11 July, 2013 @ 1:57 pm

Folks, 1000 apologies. My mistake: there WILL be a physical disc release for this. Breathe easy.

If anyone can make it, I’ll be tying myself to Nelson’s Column, Trafalgar Square, tomorrow at midday so you can come and throw rotten veg at me :(

Nightmare966 11 July, 2013 @ 12:55 pm   47

@Ignus: Maybe not but it’s always worth a shot!

Paul2007 11 July, 2013 @ 12:58 pm   48

Looks great like all R&C games but having the series return to it’s roots is the best part. I can understand Insomniac wanting to try something different with ACIT and A4O, monotony sets in anywhere, but this seems like a proper R&C title.

Sony expressed it’s surprise at the slow support of third-parties with Vita but when the platform holder not supporting it sufficiently what does it expect? With Nexus yet another no-show Vita will not last much longer despite the Remote Play PS4 feature. A platform needs it’s own unique games, and that, nobody can argue with.

smashing1234 11 July, 2013 @ 1:03 pm   49

I don’t like how the U.S Blog says “Coming Holiday” and all we get is “Coming Soon”. Can we PLEASE get confirmation that it’ll be released in 2013 in Europe? And also, I am with the people who want a retail release of the game as my PS3 has been getting packed lately with PS+ games. Thank you for finally making a sequel to my favorite R&C game, just one last question, how many (approximate if needed) GB/MB will the game be?

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:20 pm

I guess holiday doesn’t translate. But as always the plan is to have it out the same time here as in North America.

Too early to say on the size of the game

doublebluff293 11 July, 2013 @ 1:22 pm   50

Hey, with a $30 price tag, the game being called an epilogue and it appearing on PS3. Does this mean we’re essentially getting another short game like Quest for Booty?

James Stevenson 11 July, 2013 @ 1:27 pm

It’s much much larger than say Quest 4 Booty or Q-Force. Though it’s not as large as A Crack in Time

Load all