Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:03pm

Weekend Debate: Do you game less in the summer? (update)

The Weekend Debate

UPDATE: Many thanks for taking part folks. This week’s winners are: chrisboers, solid–raiden, FullAutoNoob, XzSlLENTSNIPERzX and wolfsinner. Congratulations – please keep an eye on your PMs on the official forums for details on how to claim your prize.

ORIGINAL POST: Phew, scorching week up here in northern Europe. I’ve duly been taking advantage of the sunshine and have barely picked up a controller this week, bar a torrid lunchbreak on Wednesday spent attempting to dispatch the last boss in Hotline Miami (seriously, how do you beat that guy?!).

The summer months are traditionally a much quieter time for new game releases – as was evident in this week’s sleepy Store update. So, what I want to know: do you play fewer games during the summer months? If so, why?

The prize this week for the five most thoughtful responses is a Blu-ray copy of the wonderful Journey: Collector’s Edition, which includes all three of thatgamecompany’s mini PSN masterpieces and a host of great extras on the side. See the recent launch post for full details. Good luck!

Terms & conditions

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

183 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
MASPALOMAZ 12 July, 2013 @ 5:03 pm   1

We have always summer :) :) :)

Stonesthrow 12 July, 2013 @ 5:03 pm   2

No, I’m pretty much an all round gamer. One of the few things in life I’m genuinely interested in and passionate about.

opt1fl3x 12 July, 2013 @ 5:04 pm   3

No I actually game more. I got time now to game. And summer means party, and nothing helps beter for restoring after a night out than a playstation.

Nazar_Ops 12 July, 2013 @ 5:05 pm   4

No. I do like summer, but that’s not a reason for me to game less. I do both. If the weather is good outside, I may go out and find activities to do. But that’s not a reason for me to game less. In fact, Summer is the only season that let’s me play how much I want, and if there’s a backlog of games for me to complete.

MattTao17 12 July, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   5

It’s 30 degrees here in Ireland, I’m still playing games. Holidays and time off is game time to me. Would have been brilliant to get GTA V for the summer period.

uncleniccius 12 July, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   6

Nope.
In the summer in the UK the weather is usually pretty terrible (we do get nicer times, like right now though!) so I often play games in the summer, especially as that is when most of my time off is.

I tend to play less during the day in the summer though, and most of mu gaming time is later on (as when it is nice it is usually too hot during the day to stay inside).

I do tend to play different types of games in the summer, I never seem to be able to get in the mood for 30+ hour RPG’s as it feels like more of a drag, even though there tends to be far less games coming out.

More free time = More gaming time.

diogompereira 12 July, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   8

Although there are fewer game releases in the Summer, this doesn’t affect me. Apart from a few exceptions I don’t usually buy games on release, I get them a few months after. So my backlog of games is always filled with great games that I’ve been meaning to play.

Especially now with PS+ that backlog keeps getting bigger and bigger. So many games, so little time!

I tend not to but this year has already ben different. I have found myself putting trophy whoring on hold to go into the garden and read a book with an ice cold beer. The sunshine where I live is just lovely at the moment so I guess I have more reason than usual. Once the heatwave is over, however, I will probably return to my usual reclusive ways :P.

dav2612 12 July, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   10

PS Plus has ensured I have an ever-growing backlog of games so no matter what time of year it is and no matter how busy or quiet the release schedules are, I’ve always got way more games to play than I can possibly get through.

The only time I ever had to game less during the summer was when the fan on my last PS3 kicked into overdrive to cool the machine down and my wife gives me the ‘turn it off’ look.

Summer – time for a hot outdoor recreation, preferably a picnic. Too much work to make time favorite games, and with the onset of this time of year, there are fewer. You need to find a couple of days off to knock a few sinkers. =)

doomsday619 12 July, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   12

No i play more, No school run with the children, stay up late without having to worry about waking the kids early in the morning and plus i hate the sun so its a win win more gaming for me :)

cammycollacott 12 July, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   13

Eh, I pretty much game the same all year round. I guess when I was in school/college I actually played more in the summer because of the summer holidays but now it really doesn’t make a difference what time of year it is. In my spare time you’re most likely to find me indoors no matter the weather, or time. (I don’t get out much.)

Vengeance225 12 July, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   14

On the contrary, I play games more than ever during the summer. Not much new really comes out so I use the time to catch up on stuff I’ve missed and clear my backlog a little. Still got loads to get through, I’m not complaining. Come mid-September I won’t be able to focus my time on older games (or games that aren’t called GTA V, for that matter).

Bluepob 12 July, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   15

Yes I do game less in the warmer months as any glimpse of the sun has to be used to the fullest. Fortunately in the UK we normally only get a few days of Sun a year so normal gaming can soon resume. I do think the publishers are missing a trick in not releasing more games at summer, especially the new franchises or middle tier games that get lost in the usual winter glut of new release.

AntGreenfield 12 July, 2013 @ 5:15 pm   16

Of late, no as the summers have been so shockingly bad and this year for the first time in as long as I can remember my hayfever is playing its part in keeping me inside! Still, it’s the perfect time to catch up on the pile of shame awaiting play thanks mainly to the awesome few months of PS+ recently, in fact just this very afternoon I finally got around to completing Infamous (Yes the first one, told you it was a pile of shame!) Onwards now to sample some Battlefield 3 and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon and on the off chance that I do manage to venture outside, there’s the likes of Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus, Rayman Origins and Little Big Planet on the Vita to keep me entertained so this summer is definitely one jam packed with gaming goodness for me :)

locus2k1 12 July, 2013 @ 5:15 pm   17

Short answer: yes

Long answer: well, console gaming becomes less.

It’s great to be sitting outside, enjoying the summer breeze and the sunshine for as long as the British weather allows it, and these Summer days are perfect for catching up on my Vita games :) Finally gotten around to Platinum-ing Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and have moved onto Everybody’s Golf which will be followed up by the amazing Persona 4 and many more games from PS+

Enjoying the Sun, and enjoying my backlog of non-Platinumed Vita games, that’s how I spend the Summer “Drought”… just got to remember to wear sun block :D

gbgamesmember 12 July, 2013 @ 5:17 pm   18

Nah, I Play More Games In summer actually, I search for all the games i missed and finish it one by one . It’s 45 degrees Here ! So I guess It’s Better to stay at home and play some games.

I don’t think it’s a big change between summer and other seasons for me. A little less maybe due to having vacation, but this year I brought the Vita with me so I got some gaming done.

This year, I don’t have the “luxury” to game less as my goal is to reach 100 plats before PS4 is out. 10 to go.

Mr-Tutter 12 July, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   20

Overall I’d say I play about the same, it’s mostly the type of games I play and the system that change. In the summer I’m mostly on the Gameboy during the day, then switch to my PSP once the sun has gone down a bit and there’s plenty of shade. I just can’t see anything on the PSP screen in the sun. Game wise I’ll go for the more summer style games, somthing like Everybodys Golf,or even a RPG. but in the winter i’ll switch to the more darker games, like Silent hill. But there is always the exception to that rule.

MantaGTJ001 12 July, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   21

NO I PLAY MORE GAMES and tend to play online because people think everyone goes out for the summer or holidays…. WE DONT….BRING MORE GAMES OUT IN THE SUMMER…..Ask the Last of Us makers if they had a big flop releasing the game in the summer ?

tired-hippo 12 July, 2013 @ 5:33 pm   22

I play more. In fact a very dull summer holiday in 1997, coupled with the rental store, led me to becoming a hardcore gamer thanks to games like broken sword, vandal hearts, sentient and more. Now the summer is catch up time now that my psychology degree has finished.

Torquemada 12 July, 2013 @ 5:33 pm   23

Far too hot for me, so Im indoors whilst the family sit in the garden. For this reason, I probably play more games in the Summer and less in the winter (as I love playing in the snow with my kids). Anyway, playing during the summer gives me a chance to clear the abundance of games that Ive got but been unable to play due to time constraints. Noone minds me hogging the telly then, as noones around, so everyones a winner!!

mozzie1 12 July, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   24

I used to game less in the summer, but then Playstation Plus happened. These past few months have been the first time I’ve ever had a gaming backlog. It’s a love-hate relationship.

Yes, indeed I do.
I like to play more games in the summer because I have more time, and because of this I race through games which leaves me wanting (and buying!) more games. For example, one quick search on eBay will result in half a dozen new watched gaming items – even if I don’t really want them, you see, it’s a thing of the moment, impulse buying. This happens many times during the summer as I try to occupy myself by conducting searches on eBay to find games I have a slight interest in at a bargain price.

A factor contributing to my extended playtime during summer is definitely the later nights and empty days. Because of this I rotate between my TV and PS3 – like clockwork – to fill time. Also, my time spent playing games is drastically increased because I sometimes enjoy playing my PS Vita during the time in which I watch TV. Whether it be Resident Evil 2 or Oddworld, I add another playthrough or two in the empty days.

So in short, yes, I probably more than quadruple my usual daily game playtime during the summer. I do try to mix that up by visiting friends, though.

I’d write more but I’m off to play some Red Dead Redemption! Maybe I can increase my charges of “28 counts of horse slaughter,” haha!

Osahi_be 12 July, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   26

Depends on the weather more than on the output of games in summer months. When it’s hot outside, I’ll rather be outside with a good book or go out swimming or stuff like that. When we have a wet summer (like usual) I tend to adress my back catalogue as much as possible, and than I possibly play more than usual…

I’m also often gone in summer. Daytrips or longer travels. I tend to keep some handheld games on hand for long hours at airports and in planes or in trains… I’ll be off to Portugal in a week, and I’m looking at a total of over 6 hours of flying (there and back) and some long trainrides trough the country, so I plastered the memory card of my Vita with games to play…

Terarded 12 July, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   27

Not even slightly! the summer days for me are really overwhelming, so i tend to spend more time inside with a fan 10cm away from my face haha. When its extremely hot i find that you either have two choices, either you go to the beach/pool or you stay inside and do everything you can not to generate heat, which is the perfect time to game because you can sit comfortable in front of the fan without having to do any movement.

Its a common misconception of game companies to believe that summer days are the days we spend out and about but really heat makes people lazy and sometimes all ya wanna do is have a good game to play. ive never quite understood why game companies would release their games in winter i find it hard to game in winter simply because the cold freezes up my hands and my reactions become slow paced.

Either way my ps3 is an amazing piece of technology and i gladly play it year round! :D

LikeABossNT 12 July, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   28

In summer I have much more free time, so I play much more during summer. I even bought PS+ for the summer so I don’t run out of games to play :D

Terarded 12 July, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   29

Also, nice prize this week! Very impressive! gave me all the more inspiration to write something creative.

dogwalker4000 12 July, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   30

No. Because I’m a pastey bloke who if I go outside for too long looks like I’ve been in a nuclear accident.

jimbob12345678 12 July, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   31

Less, nah. As a hardcore gamer I fear sunlight at all times ;) Seriously though I’m not a fan of summer at all so it gives me a good chance to catch up on the dreaded backlog! Still need to start Skyrim which I got for christmas two years ago… Ive actually had this week off work too which was nice, played through the new DmC 6 times to get all the trophies, awsome game, still not bored of it, and today I started playing Alice :)

That being said, while digitally speaking the summer may be lacking, physically there is actually a lot to look forward to this year. Tales of Xilla and Dynasty Warriors 8 to name a few will keep me happy all summer long and I’d recommend them to anybody!

By the way Fred its nice to see you offering a game that’s set in a desert as a prize to remind us all how obscenely hot it is ;)

winged_one 12 July, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   32

I’m not a fan of the heat so I try anything to keep cool, meaning my technology use goes down to reduce room heat, I’ll read a book or go for a bike ride. I’m currently going through XCOM and find myself making silly mistakes just cause it’s so hot! I’m a winter man anyday cuddling up with a dual shock getting toasty from the LCD :-D

It is sooooooooo HOT in London. Tomorrow will be 30+ to:-/ But i am playing the perfect game at the moment that goes with the heat i.e ‘Far Cry 3′ With this heat it’s like i am there!!! Apart from there are no Sharks & or other Animals in my room…well i hope not :D

cowbanana 12 July, 2013 @ 5:49 pm   34

My initial response would be that I game less, due to spending more time outside – Especially on lovely summer evenings. But on further consideration it probably amounts to the about the same as during the rest of the year, because I also have much more free time spread out over the course of any given day. So I get to sneak in some more game time where I would usually be at work or commuting in my car.

The backlog never rests, it must be kept in check, even during the height of summer!

wobblyredman 12 July, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   35

I’m not a big fan of hot weather, so when the sun comes out I prefer to close my curtains and ignore the outside world until I can leave my house without melting. More sun means more gaming for me

Panos_GRE 12 July, 2013 @ 5:55 pm   36

I’m not eligible to enter the contest as usual so I’ll just say my view.

If you think it’s hot in London right now, you have no idea what it like in Athens, Greece :p

I play the same amount of games in summer just like I do all year round. Although there are not many releases usually during the summer.
It’s a good opportunity to get back to one’s backlog of games.

Totally unrelated but I have to ask:
Fred, who do I have to pay in SCEE to get “Pursuit Force Extreme Justice” compatible with the PS Vita? I seriously would, since I have the game but not a PSP :)

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 12 July, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   37

My gaming time increases by about 240% because I like to shut the blinds, put towels by the gaps under my doors, turn the volume up to 100 and play games 24 hours a day. With regard to eating I just order pizzas and pay the delivery man to go the extra mile and enter my house to feed my it. “What about toilet breaks?” you may ask? Adult nappies, my friend, are a miracle – I’m covered. I do this for maybe a week before going back outside (with an umbrella so my skin can cope with the extreme sunlight) to water the plants, but after that I go back inside and repeat the week-long cycle.

When all of my games are complete I just buy anything off of the PSN store to keep my occupied. Last week’s digital game was Super Rub-A-Dub. Never again. Because I’ve done nothing but game I had nightmares of those dastardly ducks when I finally got round to sleeping the following week.

Not really, haha, but my gaming time does increase as I find more hours in the day.

GalapagosaraY 12 July, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   38

Only a little, but thanks to the lack of PS Vita games that are interesting ( especially since Dragons Crown is coming at end of summer) and your ridiculous pricing of memory cards for the system ( in my country you can buy a used Vita/3DSXL for the same price as a 32gb card which makes it a huge turnoff to invest in the card) i dropped the idea of buying a PS Vita for my summer vacation and im instead going to bring my PSP slim and 3DSXL with me instead. Thanks alot for the great Vita memory card prices Sony im sure people enjoy having 2-3 8gb and 1 4gb card in their home and constantly switch between them

akhmenhax 12 July, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   39

I usually game more in the summer, to catch up on the all the games i missed because of road-blocks like exam revision, and right now i’m journeying my way through Arkham City and ,in due time, The Last of Us!

VenomousAlbino 12 July, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   40

I’ve been playing games just as much this summer. The beauty of the Vita is that I can take it outside, sit in the garden and still play Soul Sacrifice. And then when the sun goes down and it gets a bit too chilly, I go back inside and crack on with The Last of Us.

Rain, sunshine, blizzard, tornado, frogs falling from the sky; I game whatever the weather.

It can vary really. One week I may play almost nothing due to taking my niece out places all week while the next my family might only see me at meal times. This summer though I have two new releases to enjoy playing with both Dynasty Warriors 8 and Tales of Xillia fast approaching.

Having Dynasty Warriors 8 from next week will be great though as my niece also enjoys playing those games so now I can still spend time with her but play games at the same time, best of both worlds!

Of course I must also think of the dogs, they will be taken out alot more too with the current weather and it’s always fun to actually be able to have a BBQ night here in Scotland. I intend to take full advantage of the current weather, while trying to avoid getting burnt, but the nights are my own so any day I miss out of gaming during the day I will get a few hours at night.

Anyway speaking of games… time to get back on XCOM thanks to PS+.

Nightmare966 12 July, 2013 @ 6:04 pm   42

It’s all down to how hot that particular day is, actually. While I usually game more due to having more free time, I don’t game much when there’s an overlong hot period. Where I live we usually have a chilling breeze that’s refreshing, but as soon as that air is hot, it just becomes an absolute pain, because in the end you end up being stressed by the sweat, taking you away from whatever game you’re playing. ot to say the heat the console builds up and stays in the room — I even have to turn off my laptop or else, it’s hell.

ZACHSP8 12 July, 2013 @ 6:09 pm   43

No change here, gaming the same no matter what the weather says.

NiroseDK 12 July, 2013 @ 6:09 pm   44

i play more games during the summer because of all the summer sales, and because i have more free time. I donĀ“t really like the heat much, but i do still go outside and exersize to stay in shape, and of course i still hang out with friends and party, but not all the time.

Bgjknpqswvyu 12 July, 2013 @ 6:12 pm   45

Summer is a good time to catch up on all the PS Plus IGC that you’ve been spoiling us with. Although The Last Of Us is making that difficult… it’s so good, I just want to keep playing it.

johngenegenie 12 July, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   46

I actually play a lot more in the summer than the winter. This is because of hay fever and an adverse reaction to the sun. Before you think it, I don’t think I’m a creature of the night! Actually I am, as I can’t sleep because of the heat of a night. maybe I’m an Eskimo vampire? Man, that went off topic. I think the basics are there though…

madshaun1984 12 July, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   47

Sun, Sea and Playstation Vita what more could a gamer want (other than more games!!)?

darthsteve333 12 July, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   48

I’m usually fairly consistent with my games playing during hot and cold weather, with more games being played after dark when it’s hot.

However, this year, work is so hard that I get home mentally drained from working flat out in hot temperatures, so tend to just ‘zonk’, usually in front of the TV. The intention to play is there, but I just don’t seem to be able to focus on anything.

If it wasn’t for my Vita and Everybody’s Golf/The Pinball Arcade, my gaming would’ve all but dried up over the last few weeks.

Starfox5456 12 July, 2013 @ 6:24 pm   49

i game any weather doesn’t make a difference to me.

Chrome-Hazard 12 July, 2013 @ 6:26 pm   50

During the summer I tend to spend more time indoors gaming, because I don’t tan and the sun burns me a nice crispy shade of red. =D

Load all