Posted 18 July

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII – new trailer, gameplay details

Lead image E

Time for a juicy bunch of new details for Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII, this time focusing on the battle system, plus a new location and costume too.

First up, some screens from Yusnaan, the city of revelry, focusing in on one area in particular – The Slaughterhouse. As the name implies, it’s not the most savoury of destinations… it’s home to nightly battles between mighty combatants in a brutal arena. I’m pretty sure you can figure out who’s going to end up getting involved in all that, eh?

R(US)F

CK

Also, time to lift the lid on a nice little sync-up with Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn by way of some more costume links – this one allowing you to don the garb of the famous Miqo’te character from the forthcoming MMO. You’ll be able to equip the Lominsan Cutlass and Escutcheon to give you some awesome rapid attacks and leave enemies dead in your wake.

And last, but by no means least, a bit more detail on the game’s battle system. In some battles, you can destroy sections of a foe, and if you succeed in disabling a specific area then the enemy will not only be weakened but you can also gain different items as rewards once the battle is won.

LS(US)

UW

Plus, there’s also a new counter attack system – by timing your counter perfectly with the enemy attack you can negate it and land a punishing blow of your own that could stagger the foe. However, you need to judge when best to use it – it’ll use up a large portion of the ATB gauge, and it’s only effective against physical attacks… not magical ones.

Finally, check out the new “13 Days” trailer for the game – first shown at San Diego Comic-Con!

That’s it for this update – let us know what you think in the comments. We’ll have more for you soon!

Miqote_FOR_ONLINE_USE

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

19 Comments 3 Author replies
Show oldest first

I’m quite looking forward to this. Although the FFXIII games have had ridiculously convoluted stories told badly, the gameplay has always been awesome.

My only ‘gripe’ is how sexualised Lightning’s outfits are. It goes against her character.

Artemisthemp 18 July, 2013 @ 4:38 pm   2

So does I understand this right?
You get the Miqo’te costume by owning FFXIV.

Phil Elliott 18 July, 2013 @ 5:19 pm

Hey! The Miqo’te garb that Lightning can wear in LIGHTNING RETURNS: FINAL FANTASY XIII can be obtained during the course of the content on the game disc of LR:FFXIII (the garb isn’t additional download content).

Terarded 18 July, 2013 @ 4:50 pm   3

sick of seeing this stuff, its just a constant reminder that i dont have the game yet :( wahhhhhhhhh

AnTi_FlaG_20 18 July, 2013 @ 4:51 pm   4

Im really looking forward to Lightning Returns, i really liked 13 and 13-2.

AnTi_FlaG_20 18 July, 2013 @ 4:53 pm   5

Im really looking forward Lightning Returns, i really enjoyed 13 and 13-2.

andrewsqual 18 July, 2013 @ 5:56 pm   6

Hmm Phil yous always seem to come on here far too quickly with news. I have trying to obtain information about the Limited Edition of FFX and FFX-2 from your offices in teh UK this past week about doing it and have received no info back whatsover. Could you please sync up with your offices in the UK so they know about these offers too before announcing them please?
Either that or hire somebody who communicates better (I’m not going to name names here)

Phil Elliott 18 July, 2013 @ 10:48 pm

Hi there – sorry to hear you’ve had problems contacting the team; I’ll try and find out what the issue is for you.

Stonesthrow 18 July, 2013 @ 5:59 pm   7

Admittedly the PS1 era FF’s were the best, but I still enjoy these games if only for the beautiful environments and plenty of cutscenes. That last one is sadly becoming somewhat rare these days.. Plenty of collectables is always good too in these rpg’s. I felt the predecessors were a little low on weapons and costumes (by default) but that seems to get adressed here.
Can’t wait for VERSUS either, although I’m sad that after all this time it eventually popped up as a multiplatformer. I can never help but wonder how a great multiplatformer would have looked as an exclusive.. I pray the ps4 will atleast be the lead platform for that one.

Will there be jap voices in this game?

chad1990 18 July, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   9

I know she’s not real, but I gota say, Lightning’s looking mighty fine in that Miqo’te costume hehe.
Nice to see abit more of her flesh and upper body :P ;)

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 19 July, 2013 @ 12:12 am   10

And yet again Square Enix does not understand there Final Fantasy fan base. Only one playable character in Lighting Returns! and that’s light with clothes Mods yeah well done epic fail to us final fantasy fans. Somebody please bring back Square Soft as why it was Square Soft who mostly worked on FF Versus XIII / FF XV for PS4.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 19 July, 2013 @ 12:25 am   11

Il tell you what Square Enix if Lighting Returns had Lighting returning to save the world in 13 days but she meet up with few new characters to join her in her quest to save the world in 13 days I think we would have a winner final fantasy game but noooooo Square Enix wouldn’t think of that lol.

Square Enix try listening to your fans.

blendercat27 19 July, 2013 @ 5:05 am   12

Definitely looking forward to this.

Hoping for a nice big collector’s edition too. A Lightning statuette would be awesome.

Jamesyp00 19 July, 2013 @ 8:16 am   13

Hey guys, is there any chance of some info on wether or not LR:FFXII will be getting a collector’s edition?
It’s the only thing holding me off pre-ordering.

@jamesyp00, same here wish there were more info on collectors, so you could at least book one ;)

Phil Elliott 19 July, 2013 @ 10:18 am

Hello, I’m afraid there’s no Collector’s Edition for Lightning Returns. Sorry!

VictorAnalogy 19 July, 2013 @ 9:51 am   15

Hey SetsunaF_Seiei_ I must have been away when we had the meeting to elect you worldwide leader and spokesperson for all Final Fantasy fans. Congratulations on your new role!

Personally, I like when the FF series changes things up. X-2 and XIII-2 are up there as my favourite FF’s and they have very restricted numbers of playable characters. Given that this seems to have a more action slant it makes sense to control one person rather than half a dozen.

I don’t want to play the same game over and over, change is good (or at least change is not inherently bad). Looking forward to this.

Artemisthemp 19 July, 2013 @ 1:42 pm   16

Square Enix ain’t totally true :P
Nordic Limited Edition could be consider a Collector’s Edition :)

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 20 July, 2013 @ 8:46 pm   18

@VictorAnalogy what are you talking about?

Im a Gundam Meister.

SetsunaF_Seiei_ 20 July, 2013 @ 9:19 pm   19

I already know the secret project that Square Enix japan is working on for PS4 for 11 years its been hidden.

Final Fantasy VII Remake for PS4