Posted 5:00pm

Weekend Debate: Your favourite gaming villain (update)

The Weekend Debate

UPDATE: Wow, a really busy debate this week. Thanks to everyone for taking part – it was a fun discussion. The following five posters walk away with a 12 month PlayStation Plus sub for their efforts: Telik, came1w, ryannumber3gamer, GothPunk and Chrome-Hazard. Congratulations – your prize will be delivered as a PM to your ID on the official PlayStation forums.

ORIGINAL: I think I might have mentioned last week that I was struggling with the final boss encounter in Hotline Miami. I finally cracked it, and I’m sure the game will sit in my end of year top 10. One thing that really stood out was the pervasive nastiness of its villains (and its hero, for that matter ;)). It truly features some of the least pleasant folk I’ve ever encountered in a video game.

So, your topic for this week: Tell me your pick for the most villainous villain you’ve ever come across in a game, and qualify his/her/its awfulness.

The top five most entertaining responses, as picked by our panel of judges, walk away with a 12 month PlayStation Plus subscription. Bear in mind existing PS Plus members can stack this on top of their existing subscription. Best of luck!

One more thing. I’m taking advantage of the pre-Gamescom lull to take my summer holiday from mid-next week, so Weekend Debate will likely be on hiatus for the next two Fridays. We’ll pick things up again in early August. Fear not, all other PS Blog activity will continue as normal!

Terms & conditions

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

375 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

Voodoo341 19 July, 2013 @ 5:00 pm   1

Simple.. SCEE

TheLegendOfMart 19 July, 2013 @ 5:03 pm   2

It’s clearly GLadOS

TheLegendOfMart 19 July, 2013 @ 5:05 pm   3

It’s clearly GLaDOS.

Wakes you up in an abandoned facility, makes you complete tests throughout the facility including dodging lasers, turrets, etc…. then when she is done with you tricks you with cake and tries to burn you to death.

sytsownt 19 July, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   4

My vote goes to Dr. Nefarious from the Ratchet & Clank games. Especialy in Ratchet and Clank Future: A Crack In Time. The robot is evil as hell, and wants to turn back time. No matter what happens to the universe. He’s also very funny and has a lot of anger, a lot. Because of this he always shouts, at everyone.

IINathan_DrakeII 19 July, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   5

Has to be Lazarevic from Uncharted 2, one of the toughest bosses to fight when on hard and crushing, him spamming them grenades and running after you was just horrible! beat him in the end! and hes badass in the game shows no mercy!

bidbaldwolf86 19 July, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   6

Kefka from FF VI

The guy seems like any old maniac you get in games. The typical villain. Except he actually goes ahead and manages to destroy the world. Most games have you stop the guy before he actually manages to do it but this psycho did it. He’s a creepy psychotic clown and is definitely my number one villain

Ikari_86 19 July, 2013 @ 5:07 pm   7

Liquid Snake (Metal Gear Solid)

He possesses a diabolical accent (British of course) and not only does he relentlessly attack you in a Hind-D gunship, but he lures you throughout the game being disguised as an ally on your codec/radio – only to do his bidding and activate a walking battle tank! (oh, spoilers lol)

hillbilly678 19 July, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   8

The best villain ever has to be Doctor Neo Cortex from Crash Bandicoot. I hated that guy!

realiks90 19 July, 2013 @ 5:09 pm   9

Most awful villain for me was Vaas (Far Cry 3), and also it featured on e of the best opening scene in the gaming industry. He was so crazy awful I wanted to get strangle him from my TV.
“Did I ever tell you the meaning of insanity?” soon became a hit and the rest is history.

Final Fantasy 7 – sephiroth all great evil characters have been based on him :).

BluSpykz 19 July, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   11

Aww man, my favourite villain is really easy! When I come against a villain I want him to be ruthless, look impressive – maybe be a steroid freak, or strange mutation, and I want his vocabulary to be loaded with cheesy one liners.

You’d be forgiven for thinking I was describing any one of 20+ Bond villains.

My favourite is Jack Krauser, from Resident Evil 4. (who also made an appearance as a good guy in the vastly under-rated Resident Evil Chronicles set).

He is incredibly strong, fast, and witty. His final battle is tense, and all his mini-battles before that are quite difficult too. He also has a very indepth back story that continues to confuse as we see how/why he turned to “the dark side”.

Oh… And he has a super cool mutation!

XterminatR187 19 July, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   12

Mike Tyson from Punchout! Damn, he was hard to kill….

Matt_Rock_93 19 July, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   13

Wheatley (Portal 2)

At the start of the game you love him, he’s funny and has great character and even when he becomes evil you love him, the sheer amount of stupid ways he tries to kill you, you even feel bad for defeating him in the end. Although glados is a great villain i think Wheatley is even better.

strife-ph 19 July, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   14

FF7 is the first Final Fantasy I’ve ever played…. I’m going with Sephiroth as my alltime fav/hated villian.

Sephiroth, a character you chase after so long, Your actions being manipulated by him, killing a precious friend of yours, pretty much wanting to destroy everything in his warped ways of thinking. A tru;y epic and unfogettable boss in every sense of the word.

Gamesgbkiller 19 July, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   15

Albert Wesker.

He is got to be one of the beloved villains in video games ( from what I saw )
This guy almost appeared in all RE games and movies.

I bet we will see him in the next RE game :)

So Albert Wesker is my choice.

rooky91 19 July, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   16

I have to go all the way back to the good old psone days, when Shepiroth killed Aries and thus my childhood. That man is the villian to beat, and in one swift move let you know he meant business.

And he didn’t stop by tearing our hearts out, he went on to attempt to destroy the world, attempted to kill Cloud many a time. I will hate that man till my dieing breathe.
Sepiroth the villian of my childhood.

a7md1990 19 July, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   17

This is easy,

Without any doubt it’s MGS3′s The Boss, I cried uglier than my lil bro when I fought her. The Boss battle is more of an emotional fight than it is a physical, that’s why it was memorable and different. That fight it the reason why I bought MGS: Peace Walker on PSP, as soon as I smelled the possibility of her not being dead, I immediately went and grabbed the game.

The guilt still haunts me… I’m sorry, but you left me no choice.

Sincerely,

Big Boss

andrewsqual 19 July, 2013 @ 5:15 pm   18

This may seem like a strange one but let me explain.
Sly 2 Spoiler Alert*
For me I would have to say Neyla from Sly 2: Band of Thieves. She had no real motives, she wasn’t working for anybody in the end, it was all for her own evil purposes. It is even more shocking as she seemed like she was the more down to earth character and laid back compared to Carmelita. But then she turns on you and you see her true side. Then its just backstabbing throughout the rest of the game for her until she gets what she wants.

The bit at the very end when she blended with Clockwerk and became Clock-La, this is the part I still can’t get over today. Even before she dies she screams something about always hunting Sly no matter where he is or something around those lines. Still can’t get over how unexpectedly evil she was.

MercBusta 19 July, 2013 @ 5:16 pm   19

David, the leader of the cannibals from “The Last of Us”.

Allthough he seems friendly when u first meet him, he eats people for breakfast literaly and doesn’t mind killing a child.

Visari from Killzone. His chilling speeches are enough to cement him as a pretty terrifying video game villain. Radec would be a close second, just for how difficult he is to beat at the end of Killzone 2…

Has to be Sorceress Ultimecia from FFVIII. I mean come on – she breaks down time, compresses it to make the world uninhabitable, and that’s not even brushing the surface. She possesses good sorceresses’ bodies and forces them to her will -she turns Edea Kramer into the most hated woman in the world and uses Rinoa’s body before hurling her into space! She is a NASTY piece of work. Also her theme is ‘Liberi Fatali’ which is some of the most epic music in all Final Fantasy :)

hilts663 19 July, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   22

Easy…That “dude” on screen with “no face” in Xcom…Always bi*ching about my progress, sending my men on suicide missions from his safehouse and the worst part was, that almost my every game he got mindhacked and basically told me i am a moron… I think he was working with the alines all along anyway…

aleks03 19 July, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   23

Heihachi Mishima from the Tekken series. Why? Well, he is a power hungry terrorist who threw his son into a volcano and then used his son and grandson to create an “ultimate life form”.

Tzarus_PL 19 July, 2013 @ 5:21 pm   24

My (un)favourite gaming villain is “corrupted save data”. Whenever he said “game over”, it really was over ;)

RossyWilson 19 July, 2013 @ 5:21 pm   25

we have seen plenty of anti-heroes in games who do horrible things for good reasons, but I felt Joel in the Last of Us was the first time I have played as one in a game.

SPOILERS FOR THE LAST OF US ENDING ! ! !
You have been warned.

First off Joel saves Ellie in the end of the game which may seem like the aforementioned anti-hero situation. but the reality is Ellie would have probably chose to sacrifice herself to save humanity. So not only did he stop humanity from getting a potential cure. He also killed a ton of (relatively) innocent fireflies to get to her and killed the woman that she has known her whole life. And to top it all off he lied to her about it when she obviously had it all figured out.

runicdagaz 19 July, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   26

SHODAN, from System Shock 2. So many people keep praising GLaDOS, but SHODAN is basically what she’s based on. An omnipresent, diabolical villain. And scary as well. The first time I played through the game, the reveal made me stop for a day.

Besides, SHODAN taunted you, challenged you… by the end, you really wanted that thing DEAD.

So yeah: SHODAN. No contest.

dav2612 19 July, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   27

Not a classic villain in the sense of the word but I’m going for Big Daddy. It’s the instant transformation from a creature just plodding about slowly after his young companion to raging beast who suddenly finds a surprising speed burst and is intent on killing me as quickly as possible that does it for me. There is no tactical thinking going on in his head, you can almost hear him shout DESTROY as he turns on you and attacks with all he has.

They don’t even need to do anything, just their presence is enough to make me nervous.

hilts663 19 July, 2013 @ 5:24 pm   28

Easy…That “dude” on screen with “no face” in Xcom…Always bi*ching about my progress, sending my men on suicide missions from his safehouse and the worst part was, that in most of my playthroughs he got mindhacked and basically told me i am a moron… I think he was working with the aliens all along anyway… Sorry for double post, my english in the first one almost destroyed my eyes

Warning right off the bat, this post has Last of Us spoilers. You have been warned.

I am going against the grain and going to say Joel is my favourite villain in gaming. It is very clever how Naughty Dog technically make you play the bad guy. Think about it in Pittsburgh we find out Joel has been on both sides of a Hunter attack showing he has, like the Hunter groups, killed to obtain other people’s supplies. Don’t get me wrong he would of had his reasons as he was understandably not the same since his daughter died, even more so that she was killed by the Military that Hunter groups later rose against.

Then at the end of the game the Fireflies are going to remove the brain of Ellie to develop a cure from her mutated cordyceps cells. However due to the very fatherly bond Joel has developed with her during their journey he decides to basically forsake the future of humanity to save one life. This is amplified further still when he kills Marlene when she begged him to let her live stating ” You would keep coming after her”

Part 2 next

sorathesavior 19 July, 2013 @ 5:29 pm   30

Liquid Ocelot in Metal Gear Solid 4 has to be my favourite gaming villian for multiple reasons. His motives are justified being that he wants to destroy the patriots for a free world. His boss fights are pure epic, with the fight on top of Outer Heaven has to be my favourite boss fight in gaming. And let’s not forget the best part of Ocelot, his voice actor. His Voice actor’s skills rivals that of David Hayter. That is why Liquid Ocelot is my favourite gaming villian.

Again WARNING The Last of Us spoilers.

Part 2

The final deceitful act Joel then commits is when he lies to Ellie saying that the Fireflies have stopped looking for a cure. The entire portrayal of Joel during this masterpiece of a game is astounding as to some like me he can easily be seen as villainous while to others he can be seen as a hero. This in turn shows that everyone’s perception to details can differ. Definitely an enjoyable experience from start to finish.

I am going to go with the Joker form the recent Batman games. He appears completely crazy on the outside but is secretly always in complete control of the situation. He is manipulative and his character and insanity really comes across with every movement and little speech that he makes, while weaving comedy into everything he does ( as his name implies )

His motives are not easy to understand and he is unpredictable. His shear deadliness which comes out unexpectedly combined with the way he looks makes him extremely unsettling.

On top of that even when he loses he wins, *SPOILERS* his death at the end of Arkham city clearly really gets to batman. He is one of the best villains i have come across in a game.

Fufi_Piggy 19 July, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   33

Sephirot of course! Bad till the end (and come back too).

runicdagaz 19 July, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   34

I wish I could edit posts, but ah well:

More SHODAN goodness: “You move like an insect. You think like an insect. You are an insect. There is another… who can serve my purpose. Take care not to fall too far out of my favor. Patience is not characteristic of a Goddess.”

And the ever famous reveal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOFZ5fv_pb8

This as addition to my previous post.

omario079 19 July, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   35

Dormin in Shadow of the colossus

The sneaky son of a biscuit has you running a massive (ha ha get it ;D) errand for him and manipulates you to killing the Colossi with the promise of bringing your love back to life. Not only does he break this promise, he turn you into a baby! If that’s not evil I don’t know what is.

Man, who do I pick? Talbot and Marlow from U3 stand out for me, mainly because they’re British and therefore somewhat relatable (everyone knows we Brits are evil). But Dr Nefarious was awesome in his over-the-top silliness and Firelurker from Demon’s Souls was a amazing boss fight.

The one boss that stuck with me though was Sephiroth from FF7. A classic in every sense of the word.

zoolander93 19 July, 2013 @ 5:32 pm   37

Surely it’s Albert Wesker?!

A man so uncompromisingly evil, he barely has any motivation behind his actions other than for evil’s sake. A tentacle sprouting, always furious, world domineering psychopath, who’s never too rushed to sport a pair of 30-year old aviators. And let’s face it, gaming has never seen a more evil act than his hideous leather jacket/sunglasses combo from Resident Evil 4. Fashion hell.

A man truly evil to the core; it’s got to be Wesker.

Marco Bartoli from Tomb Raider: 2.
I love this guy so much because I have fond memories of him from when I was younger, this is because everything about him “got” to me, leaving me feeling uneasy. For example, his Venitian accent makes him seem mysterious and full of secrets, this is further supported trough his menacing smile, implying only the worst for poor Lara. Moreover, his pseudo-esque garments were fully black apart from the shockingly blatant symbol of his gang – further adding to the mystery, suspenseful nature and terror of this character.

I guess that is just the small part of why I like him so much, the part in which he became a dragon topped off this crazed madman of a villain. Not only did it show how fearless he was, but it also revealed his psychopathic persona, further bringing feelings of unease to the mix. Having to fight that deranged maniac was memorable, but oh so tense!

As a package Bartolli delivers everything you’d expect from a villain: a vindictive, relentless maniac, determined to get what he wants and bring down the protagonist. The extent to which Bartoli attempted this is inspiring to say the least:

JON_4495 19 July, 2013 @ 5:33 pm   39

Not sure if he’s classed as an actual villain but I’m going with “The guy on the radio” from Telltale’s The Walking Dead.

What seemed like a minor choice from the end of episode 2 comes back to bite you in the ass in episode, when you realise that the man who took clementine is the same guy who was the owner of the car full of supplies. Most villains are evil for the sake of being evil, but this guy is different. Through talking to him you learn that talking those supplies shattered his relationship with his family and left him a broken man. This almost makes you sympathise with him. However it gets more interesting.

You realise that when he was talking to clementine on the radio, he has learnt of all the difficult choices you’ve made throughout your travels, for better or worse, and uses these to judge your ability to look after clementine. This comes as a shock as you don’t expect to be judged on your choices in this way. We also find that before the zombie outbreak, he was just a normal dad, whose morals turned darker once the apocalypse started. This makes him more “real” and allows us to more easily see his point of view, which is why he’s one of my favourite villains

ducky1549 19 July, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   40

Mine has to be comstock from bioshock infinite, he tries to kill you all the way through the entire game just to find it’s your future self in a twisted little waymade the entire game great then ended with a shocker ending.

nakano1987 19 July, 2013 @ 5:34 pm   41

It’s been a while but if my memory serves me right, it would be Kuja from Final Fantasy IX. This nice guy wants to destroy the world so heroes must prevent that from happening. I remember Kuja being a likable and most sympathetic evil final boss I have encountered so far. It’s an exception to pity the bad guy.

Limesta- 19 July, 2013 @ 5:35 pm   42

My favourite villian is Kefka Palazzo from Final Fantasy 6 BY FAR! It’s ’cause he is as villianous as villians can get!

He posioned Doma’s water just to hear the screams of the dying!
He disturbed the balance of the world and brought it to absolute ruin!
He became a god and proceeded to torment the survivors of the world!
He kills millions and just laughs! And that laugh.. man.. it’s been embedded in my mind since I first heard it.

It’s just a darn shame he’s always in the shadow of Sephiroth from FF7 when it comes to popularity. Sephiroth is nothing but a edgy mama’s boy who only came close to bringing the world to ruin!

My most horrible boss fight in a video game must have been the boss fight in Hitman 2 against Sergei Zavorotko. It took me about 2 hours to kill all of his bodyguards and there must have been about 20 of them. Finally when I had killed them all I didn’t know what to do and I ended up strangling Sergei trough the door of the confessional booth he had hid in which was not the right way to kill him as I was about to notice. When I finally figured out shoot him trough the glass of the confessional booth I was surprised to see a body sliding out of the booth and ready to kill me. I still get goosebumps just thinking about the time I had to fight a dead body in a church!

jens108 19 July, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   44

part 1

MASSIVE dark souls spoiler alert!

my favorite villain is kingseeker frampt! or wait, maybe its darkstalker kaathe? who is the villain in dark souls?

when digging a little into dark souls lore, it becomes clear that there is no ‘good’ guy. bad things in the future are inevitable, no matter which path you choose. frampt tells you that kindling the final fire is the ‘good’ thing to do.
later on you meet kaathe, who tells you that frampt is only trying to trick you and you should become the dark lord yourself and not kindle that fire.

jens108 19 July, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   45

part 2
MASSIVE dark souls spoiler alert!

now, if you kindle the fire, you sacrifice yourself to sustain order. that sounds like the good ending. but is the world really in order? it is ruled by 3 gods, and not in a good way. by kindling the fire, you give these gods power. are they suppressors and just playing you through frampt?
on the other hand, not kindling the fire makes you the dark lord, freeing humanity from the gods, but humanity lives in darkness. and this turns humans into monsters (as seen in the DLC). so is this a good ending?

so who is the villain here? maybe both frampt and kaathe. maybe just one. i cant decide! but whoever of the two it is, he is playing a hell of a game! maybe the villain here is the darkness itself.

fcrogers 19 July, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   46

It has to be Radec, he was so cheap on Elite level…

lost count on how many times I tried to beat him on Elite.

toxic-inferno 19 July, 2013 @ 5:37 pm   47

I’ve thought hard about this, and have come up with who I believe is the most evil, villainous villain in all of gamedom. I’ve considered several dozen worthy candidates, but none came close to being as awful as who I believe is the true King of Villains. The Joker? No. Gnasty Gnorc? Not even close. No, the true villain of gaming is…

The player. Yes, it’s true. The player takes control of a character, treating them like nothing more than a puppet, strips away that characters free will, and then forces them to do his or her bidding! This often involves killing hundreds and thousands of people in cold blood, destroying whole nations, stealing, lying and goodness knows how many other shady acts! Often, he or she lets those characters that they control die, or at least go through vast amounts of pain and agony, all for his or her amusement.

No sicker or more disturbed mind exists than the evil puppetmaster named… The Player

And let me tell you that was awful!

Despite being the main char of the game, Kratos ( God of War series) is the most villainous villain I’ve ever come across. Not only does his appearance make an awful impression but also his behaviors turn him into a disgusting person. In order to get revenge against Zeus, he lead a slaughter killing every person he encountered, most of whom were innocent. He also didn’t care about what would happen to the entire world if his revenge was accomplished; he did it at any cost. The reason that I hate the controlled character more than the final boss makes this game unique, though.

Cpt_Nutsaw 19 July, 2013 @ 5:38 pm   50

Your Co-op partner!
Allways runs ahead of you and steals the loot you want, kills all the enemies,talks during important cutscenes,yells at you for not doing something right and spills soda over your furniture!

Load all