Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:27pm

PlayStation Vita about to get its punchiest title – Real Boxing confirmed for 28th August

Here at Vivid Games we do like a fight. The art team are terrible at making teas and coffees – so that often ends in fisticuffs. The sound guys are always making too much noise – and with the recent warm weather that’s meant we’ve been extra grumpy, so often their racket has ended in a punch-up. And as for the management team? Well they are often throwing their weight around – so the rest of us really enjoy punching them in the face.

Not in real life, obviously. Fortunately, as the developer and publisher of Real Boxing, we’re able to settle any disputes we have in the virtual ring. And we’re really excited to reveal that you guys will be able to do the same at the end of August.

As the name suggests, Real Boxing is a boxing simulation game where you’ll be able to create a boxer and take him on a journey from amateur to pro. There are also a multitude of other modes and features including multiplayer so you can touch gloves remotely with friends. There will also be regular tournaments based on leaderboard rankings so there’s always a new challenge ahead. Boxing games seem to be rather few and far between so we’re really proud to be bringing the first console styled boxing simulation to PS Vita – the sport is the purest form of one-on-one combat, making this a highly strategic type of game.

Available on the 28th August for €9.99/£7.99, Real Boxing is powered by the Unreal Engine 3 so it certainly looks the business (slightly bias, I know but hopefully you’ll agree). It allows us to really make you feel every bone-crunching blow, see every drop of sweat and spatter of blood just like a real boxing match, just without actually getting hurt because trust me, that bit is no fun. Your boxers are completely customisable too. You can choose from of a range of hairstyles, tattoos, boots and stats to make the character all your own from the laces up.

We’d like to quickly thank Sony who has been incredibly supportive and it has been a pleasure to work with the Vita’s tech to make Real Boxing look and feel everything we want it to. We’re really chuffed with it and I hope you guys like it and with any luck I may be able to go a few rounds with you when the game comes out on the 28thAugust.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

39 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first
supersmith2500 29 July, 2013 @ 7:16 pm   1

Another Unreal Engine game is always good but does the smartphones also use this engine too and how much does the iOS and Android versions cost?

Jan Chichlowski 29 July, 2013 @ 7:58 pm

Hi,

We used this same engine on both platforms but the graphics on Playstation Vita has been improved ( new shaders and improved models ). There are a lot of new features that are unique for Playstation Vita version of Real Boxing so we treat as really something new.

Android and iOS version costs 4,99 euro.

Regards,
    Vivid Games S.A.

Hmm I really don’t like the price. I mean the android version cost like 10% of this price. So please tell me why I should buy this version over the other except for buttons and sticks.

Does the psvita version have: More content?better graphics? etc..

Jan Chichlowski 29 July, 2013 @ 8:06 pm

Hi,

There are a lot of differences between smartphone version and Playstation Vita version of Real Boxing. Most important one is the way you control your boxer. Buttons and sticks give you opportunity to move your fighter on the ring ( that’s not possible on smartphones ). You can choose if you want to attack higher or lower parts of your opponent and many more like new combo system. The way you move now is more strategic and change the game. You can check other differences on Real Boxing website.

Regards,
    Vivid Games S.A.

so from 0,89 cents to 9,99 hmm im going to pass on this one

graphicology 29 July, 2013 @ 7:45 pm   4

Agreed,
happy to pay for games but can you justify the cost difference between this version and IOS?

Could this have just been a PSMOBILE game?

Thanks

Looking forward to your reply

Jan Chichlowski 29 July, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

Hi,

As i’ve just answered above main difference ( and really game changing ) is the way you control your boxer. Besides that we’ve changed or added:
    - new multiplayer system ( new leaderboards )
    - combo system
    - new unique arena
    - we utilize Near Technology Playstation Vita offers

You can check other differences on Real Boxing website.

Regards,
    Vivid Games S.A.

TargetFinderKing 29 July, 2013 @ 7:50 pm   5

Its a 16+ year olds game so 9 in 10 vita owners cannot even buy this :(

dogwalker4000 29 July, 2013 @ 8:06 pm   6

Looks very pretty but have to admit that some of the punching animations look a little off, especially the hooks.

I personally would prefer a more OTT arcadey boxing game, don’t see many of them anymore.

ownjoouk 29 July, 2013 @ 8:08 pm   7

Ouch I can buy this on my phone for 69p!!!! No chance I’m paying 7.99. Will be passing on this one.

Jan Chichlowski# Thanks for the aswear. I will atleast look out for it when it releases now. But good to see it’s not just a straight port with just added button support.

VitalogyPJ 29 July, 2013 @ 8:20 pm   9

“- we utilize Near Technology Playstation Vita offers”

Because “near technology” is something from the other world that vita gamers use like nothing else -.-

None of the reasons justify the price, have you watched the trailer you made? Are those arms moving? They seem more like branches no animation what so ever.

It’s sad that devs that use to develope for mobiles try to suck on the Vita what they can’t on mobiles with little to no change at all. Unfortunately there’s always silly people buying their games otherwise they would get their feet on the ground and realize that ripping off ps vita gamers isn’t the way.

Posted on 29 July, 2013 at 7:58 pm by Jan Chichlowski
Hi,
Android and iOS version costs 4,99 euro.
Regards,
Vivid Games S.A.

then why is it listed as 0,89 cents on the android play store ?

Jan Chichlowski 1 August, 2013 @ 10:53 am

The 0.89 cents for RB iOS/Android is summer sale promo. Standing RB OS/Android price is 4.99 USD. We do not rule out VITA Real Boxing price changes in the future.

Regards

Jan Chichlowski
    Vivid Games SA

MaxDiehard 29 July, 2013 @ 8:34 pm   11

I’d probably get this just for the shirtless muscled guys.

Game looks decent, but the price… Physical buttons & slightly better gfx shouldn’t mean it’ll cost you more. Should be less if anything, a game on a vgame console cost more then the same game on a non gaming device… Its never a good thing.

Jan Chichlowski 1 August, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Indeed the VITA version is more expensive. However the VITA version is not just a simple port of the mobile version. It gives you much more content when compared to the mobile e.g.:

• New modes/features
    • The multiplayer, online and ad-hoc with a brand new tournament mode/system, exclusive to Vita.
    • Vita specific controls such as tilt and touch controls and Near functionality

• No in-app purchases, all areans are unlocked

• Better graphics – the Vita version looks much better with enhanced shaders, lighting, character models

• The new controls really make the game feel new and different and allows much more depth to the fighting

The Vita version is the best version of Real Boxing. It has much more content so more customisation options, better enemy AI, more gameplay options (such as multiplayer), better combo system, deeper fighting …

We believe it is worth the advertised price.

Hope this clarifies.

Jan Chichlowski
    Vivid Games S.A.

USEYOURFIST 29 July, 2013 @ 8:39 pm   13

In all honesty, and with all due respect as i wish i could make games, the hook punch animations really need some attention as i was really interested untill that point of the trailer

MaxDiehard 29 July, 2013 @ 8:44 pm   14

@USEYOURFIST

I’m an indie developer. Making fluid and believable animations are difficult if you don’t have access to mo-cap, which is why most games are praised for animations.

Mo-cap isn’t cheap, especially when indies need access to it. So when making animations by hand, you can only do so much.

halljames 29 July, 2013 @ 9:15 pm   15

Haters gonna hate.

As a full supporter of the vita, I am always happy to pay a little bit more for a game on the vita over the smartphone game, simply because having real joypad’s and buttons makes for a completely different experience. I enjoyed real boxing on the iPad, but this looks so much better and I like sound of having full control of the boxer.

And just because the game is on sale on android, doesn’t mean it’s only worth 69 pence.

Bloody smartphone price mentality that is.

ocelot07 29 July, 2013 @ 9:37 pm   16

Looks good but how big will this be? Looks like I am going to have to buy a bigger memory card :(.

cowbanana 29 July, 2013 @ 11:06 pm   17

Ugh, another overpriced iOS game port. No thanks!

I’m still waiting for some proper game announcements. Yeah right, right? I bought my Vita for console games on the go, like advertised by Sony. I guess Killzone and Tearaway will the last we’ll see of new original, proper Vita games. A real shame.

Vita is completely dead to SCEA, they have no announced games in development for the system. And no, I don’t count GoW Collection… it’s another cheap port to show “support” (lol) and it’ll probably struggle to maintain even 30 fps at subnative res, like all the other rushed crap ports that Sony have rushed out.

Sony, why do you hate the Vita? Your support for this system is abysmal.

cowbanana 29 July, 2013 @ 11:11 pm   18

Allowing these overpriced iOS shovelware “games” on the system isn’t helping. Do you think people bought/will buy a Vita for that? Really?

If I wanted bad iOS games, I’d play them on my iPhone. But, thing is, I haven’t seen more than 3-4 games on the app store that were worth spending more than 5 minutes on.

Rhasget 29 July, 2013 @ 11:12 pm   19

This looks like it can be a modern 4d Boxing, wich I played the crap out of back in the day.

Since I’ve become a trophy whore, my question is though, will there be a platinum and will there be online trophies?
And as a poster above asked, how big is the download?

Actually looking forward to it!

Jan Chichlowski 1 August, 2013 @ 11:19 am

The RB VITA package will be about 230 MB.

No trophies, no platinum.

Jan Chichlowski
    Vivid Games SA

andrewsqual 30 July, 2013 @ 12:50 am   20

But on the iPhone version don’t you have to pay for everything else and for the iPhone version don’t you have to own a POS iDevice too lol? And this version will still look better then the one on the device that cost 3 times as much. I know a friend who will definitely be picking this up AND he has an iPhone.

Chaosprower 30 July, 2013 @ 1:02 am   21

Remember Sony’s “Marcus” campaign making fun of smartphone games? And now ironically the Vita just gets late, overpriced smartphone games.

RoboAddy 30 July, 2013 @ 4:44 am   22

Ugh, what’s with the neverending slew of overpriced smartphone ports coming to the Vita?

I could just pay 99c and get this right now on my Xperia Z if I wanted.

This is not what I bought a Vita for!

AaronSOLDIER 30 July, 2013 @ 5:09 am   23

@cowbanana, Chaosprower, RoboAddy

That’s pretty much what I’ve been saying all along but according to some here Sony can do no wrong. And yeah I’ve pointed out that Marcus campaign on here before and silenced a few people with it. I thought I was a bit of a Sony fanboy but after reading nonsense from some people on here I know I’m definitely not.

If gamescom doesn’t deliver any high budget profile western developed titles then the system is pretty much finished, the Wii U is in a very similar position but the difference being: IT HAS GAMES COMING. The Vita has nothing beyond Killzone and Tearaway, only Japanese devs are making games for it and that’s because they have to due to 70%+ of the Japanese market being handheld gamers. Sony needs to get it together ASAP.

napalmjam360 30 July, 2013 @ 5:17 am   24

I played this till my boxer was 100% the only difference I can see it instead of pressing the screen you move the vita analogue also adding one caged ring does not make up for the silly price bloody button tax >=( fight night on the PSP is still amazing shame it doesn’t work on vita in EU but works in the us SORT IT OUT SONY

THE_FORCE 30 July, 2013 @ 7:21 am   25

We really need a good slew of Gameloft titles on the Vita too.

*sníggers*

Panos_GRE 30 July, 2013 @ 8:52 am   26

Welcome to the new reality. The Vita will become the premium go-to handheld platform for indie devs that would like to get more money for their games. The recipe is simple. Port the mobile game, add a few bells and whistles and sell it 10x times more expensive.

Asphalt
Dungeon Hunter Alliance
Star Wars Pinball

I don’t think Sony realizes that this is not the way to go.
Nobody bought a Vita to replace their smartphones.

theodor70941 30 July, 2013 @ 9:09 am   27

what kind of controls will the game use on vita touch rear touch or the buttons

Who in their right mind would pay 9,99 for a game that is 0,99 on other platforms!!? For joystick support? Maybe people that don’t have a smartphone you say? I’m sorry but everybody has a smartphone nowadays. Even my grandmother for goodness sake!

I’m starting to regret my Vita purchase. I want high-quality games. Or PS3-ports. Not iOS or DS portss!

adumr82 30 July, 2013 @ 9:19 am   29

I’d like to see a little benefit of the doubt here. We need more people developing for the vita and the dev claims it’s not a straight port. I’ll say it may be a little expensive for me to take a straight gamble on though but the dev needs to make their costs back of developing for the vita and we don’t know how much higher those costs are than for mobile.

aros2011 30 July, 2013 @ 12:46 pm   30

I’m sorry but that price is a joke and it’s made all the more insulting by the fact you lied about the cost of the mobile version.

As for the big selling point, the graphics, I admit it looks good for a mobile title but when you compare it to console games like Fight Night Champion it doesn’t look so hot. The animation is awful.

Sony should set a maximum price for mobile ports of £4 because otherwise greedy devs like this one will try to charge the cost of a full featured PSN game for a mobile game with added controls.

I was looking forward to this but won’t even pick it up when it goes on sale after this post – by lying and setting the cost so high I feel like the developer has slapped every Vita owner in the face. Appropriate for a boxing game? Maybe. Appropriate for me to open my wallet for your title? Definitely not.

Jan Chichlowski 1 August, 2013 @ 11:33 am

Sorry, I should have been more specific.

4.99 $ is a standing Real Boxing price, 0.99 is a summer sale price.

It is fair to say that most of the time the price is between 4.99 and 0.99.

We do not rule out Real Boxing price changes in the future and this includes VITA version also.

Jan Chichlowski
    Vivid Games S.A.

aros2011 30 July, 2013 @ 12:47 pm   31

For £4 people are willing to be forgiving in aspects like graphics, animation, depth, gameplay options and modes but for £8 Vita gamers expect a lot more than this game can or will deliver.

ownjoouk 30 July, 2013 @ 12:53 pm   32

100% agree with the above.

Men’s room mayhem is the best example of fair pricing for mobile games.

Rancid_Undead 30 July, 2013 @ 1:04 pm   33

I paid less than £8 for Everybody’s Golf Vita (digital) about 6 months ago.

The dev needs to re-think the pricing for sure. Even at £4 I wouldn’t pick it up.

aros2011 30 July, 2013 @ 1:15 pm   34

The stupidest thing is by charging more than twice the fair cost of a game like this they will get probably only 10% – 20% of the sales as if they had priced it fairly.

@ownjoouk

Agreed! Same with Nun Attack and Jetpack Joyride.

Rancid_Undead 30 July, 2013 @ 1:20 pm   36

@aros2011

Agreed. If they charged £1.99/£2.49 for it then I’d consider getting it to waste an evening. I know it’s one of those games that I’ll likely never play again after a few matches.

Panos_GRE 30 July, 2013 @ 1:35 pm   37

On another topic, where on earth are the Summer Sales?
Could you please inform us already?

ThugETH 30 July, 2013 @ 3:24 pm   38

Already got this game on my galaxys3 it’s good to see Vita getting more games at least, I guess.

Personally I’m waiting for Terraria, Spelunky, Frozen Synapse Tactics, Lone Survivor and Luftrausers… where are these games?
I’m importing Dragons Crown next week and will be getting Killzone Merc, FFX/X2HD, Tearaway so I’m setfor the rest of this year at least.

Previously this year sony said that next month’s Gamescom will be a great showing for Vita, now yesterday they’ve said it will be all about PS4… which is it? Or is it both?
There has to be at least 2 big huge titles announced for Vita or Shahid should slap himself on youtube for bringing false hype and hope to Vita owners world wide!
Sainsburys already stopped stocking Vitas, and yesterday Asda stopped stocking WiiUs. Next for the chop will be Vita again!
Such an awesome piece of hardware it not only needs more love but deserves it!

Moodypig 27 August, 2013 @ 7:25 pm   39

definetely downloading this game tomorrow £8.00 for a game seems fair to me considering games for the vita can cost up to £40.00 STOP COMPLAINING PEOPLE!!! it’s not a port plus games on mobile dont feel right due to touchscreen controls but want TIGER WOODS GOLF FOR PS VITA PLEASE SONY PLEASE,PLEASE,PLEASE