Posted 4:59pm

Cloudberry Kingdom lands on PSN tomorrow

Take a second and watch the above video. I never watch videos in blog posts — it takes too long and I’ve been spoiled by GIFs. But seriously, just watch it. None of this post will make sense otherwise.

OK, fine. Here’s a GIF:

Cloudberry Kingdom

I needed you to see that before I continued. You see, we’ve made the hardest, most stupidly ridiculous hardcore game ever. And we’re sorry. Kind of. We even called it a happy name like Cloudberry Kingdom to help ease the pain. But before I actually try apologizing for real, let me take a step back and defend myself. I’ll be making use of the traditional Socratic Straw Man Method for my defense: below, you’ll find your unsound critiques highlighted in bold, with my impenetrable defense following. Afterward I may apologize.

Let’s start with the first reason for why you’re upset.

“Being hard for the sake of being hard is stupid, therefore this game is stupid.”

Woah. First of all, I Wanna Be The Guy has already proven in my mind that everyone wants a brutally unfair game with invisible spikes and hidden platforms that change location depending on whether you’re inhaling or exhaling.

But let’s assume for a second that your opinion isn’t wrong. Cloudberry Kingdom is actually not about being hard — it’s about being challenging. The first and foremost design principle we held to was that there should be a difficulty for everyone, and that the challenge should increase as your skill does. Here’s a view of the difficulty spread we cover:

Cloudberry Kingdom

If you look at some challenging old school platformers like Mario 3 or Lost Levels, you’ll see a lot of care taken in providing a great challenge for core players. But to the players that are real masters (or real noobs), they are left unsatisfied. The video we showed is of our highest difficulty level, reserved for the gosu elite that can beat Tetris blindfolded and who secretly cry afterward like Alexander the Great because they know they will never find a true challenge. Well, cry no more my gosu brother/sister.

“You can’t just throw a billion lasers on a screen and call it challenging. You’re a horrible level designer.”

Actually, I’m not the level designer. We designed and built an advanced artificial intelligence that designs all the levels in the game. What’s inter-

“The levels are randomly generated? Randomly generated levels suck!”

WOAH. Look, A.I.s are people too. How would you feel if I called levels you designed “randomly generated?” Doesn’t feel so good, does it? Now, granted, our AI doesn’t have “emotions,” so an apology isn’t necessary, but let me defend our AI anyway. We spent over two years teaching the A.I. how to design good levels. It understands flow, spacing, rhythm, and also how many bouncy blocks you can have before it just gets annoying. Every level it designs is possible to beat, and if you don’t believe it, you can ask the A.I. to play any level to show you how it’s done. But most importantly, we taught the A.I. how to make a level for the right difficulty, from easy up to stupidly masochistic.

If you’re not satisfied with the physics we programmed, you can use our physics editor to change gravity, friction, acceleration, and dozens of other parameters, and the A.I. will build new levels tailored specifically to your custom physics.

The A.I. was designed to serve up your every platforming need. Just ask.

“Well that does sound pretty sweet!”

Time to wrap up. I’ll allow you one more rhetorical accusation.

“Wait! Wait… um. Are there hats?”

*sigh*

Cloudberry Kingdom

Cloudberry Kingdom hits the PlayStation Store tomorrow for £7.99/€9.99.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

24 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

zalwelgoedgaan 30 July, 2013 @ 5:11 pm   1

Cute blog post. Will there be a custom soundtrack option?

TheTedster 30 July, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   2

Looks very good, but I don’t fancy loosing a couple of controllers to this game. This game looks hard :S Not a bad thing though!

This game screams “VITA!!!!!”
Any chances there ?

Desertmonkey666 30 July, 2013 @ 5:43 pm   4

I was under the impression it was on vita!!, am I wrong?…looks insane

I like the idea of a challenge but right now those videos just look like an indecipherable blur of faded and bold lazers, orbs moving in every conceivable direction, and spikes that pop up from time to time.
Does the game also progress at a pace where you begin to more instinctively work out what you need to do to progress, or maybe have music that helps aids you in some way?

SuperJag86 30 July, 2013 @ 5:52 pm   6

This game does look mental! I hope it is still coming out on Vita though.

If it is will it be cross-buy?

shaolinsword 30 July, 2013 @ 5:56 pm   7

Looks like a good game but I only have one controller and I love it too much to play. Sorry :(

If it comes to Vita I’ll buy it.
Anyone know if were getting pixeljunk monsters hd tomorrow? USA got it today.

Boris_Trousers 30 July, 2013 @ 6:37 pm   9

Looks like the opposite of fun. Should I avoid playing it now while it costs money or wait until it’s available on PS+ so I can avoid playing it for free? Decisions, decisions…

A_Nonny_Moose 30 July, 2013 @ 6:47 pm   10

Is this on PS3 or Vita?

zxRATTLExz 30 July, 2013 @ 6:52 pm   11

Looks decent enough. There’s no mention in the write up as to whether it’s on Vita and more importantly to me, has a cross buy option. Most indie type games have cross buy which usuall sways me towards an instant purchase.

This is the PS3 version. The Vita version is dated at Fall 2013, so its not cross-buy i suppose. Got the info from their website.

MavSkipper 30 July, 2013 @ 7:18 pm   13

As an off-duty gamer: Looks bloody brilliant.
As a gamer back-from-busy-work: I play games to relax, WTH…

@ThugETH: according to Double 11′s website it should be on PSN tomorrow for EU.

My days of playing hard games began and ended with Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts back in the days of the SNES – so traumatised was I by the ending of that game that taunted me in glorious 16 bit graphics. A month of continuous gameplay, eyelids held open with toothpicks so as not to blink, tears streaming down my face and a mate about to have a stroke while my world came crashing down at the text that appeared on the screen.

Essentially stating hahaha although you have beaten the boss you have not saved the girl because you didn’t have the proper weapon. The proper weapon looking like some 1970′s woman’s disposable razor that shot fairy dust and made a sad whimpy pathetic “ping” noise.

And that game had lasers, and I spent the vast majority of the last levels running around in boxers with hearts on them…20 something years later I can still hear ching ching every time he double jumped.

Oddly enough I bought the UMD of it for my PSP so seemingly I’m a masochist, but it took me 21 years to buy that. Can I spend the next 20 years shivering in a corner every time Cloudberry Kingdom is mentioned? Having your brain melt once every 20 years is ok I guess ^_^

FirLocke 30 July, 2013 @ 8:41 pm   16

I am wanting this game more and more!

ChazzH69 30 July, 2013 @ 10:03 pm   17

Loved the post, but I’m still unsure about this game, I think it might make me cry?

But the wise words of Izorpo (15) has made me want this game.

Voodoo341 30 July, 2013 @ 10:06 pm   18

20% PS+ discount in the US… European customers get nothing.

Asmerith 31 July, 2013 @ 12:40 am   19

This is one of my favourite blog posts of all time. Can’t wait for the game to hit the Vita. Good job :)

matdub69 31 July, 2013 @ 2:15 am   20

Looks cool but..I am just not that good at games, especially platformers. I have no platinum trophies, despite owning heaps of vita games, and I have a hair trigger temper. Funny blog though. Genuine lol.

KylieDog 31 July, 2013 @ 8:06 am   21

Price seems steep for what the gameplay consists off. I like a challenge though, see you in a sale sometime.

zxRATTLExz 31 July, 2013 @ 10:34 am   22

@Kyliedog I agree. £7.99 seems to be the norm for this new wave of indie games, which i don’t mind normally as usually it cross buy. This at £7.99 just for PS3 ? Like you said…..sale.

Mcbeanstr 31 July, 2013 @ 2:20 pm   23

This game does look insane! I will avoid at all costs

MONTENERO 2 August, 2013 @ 2:00 pm   24

At this price demo is a must. Although, it would have been an impulse buy for me at £3.99.