Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:00pm

Weekend Debate: Your most emotional gaming moment

UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for taking part this week. The four winners this time are hayzink, VenomousAlbino, bradigor1981, and deurces. Congratulations folks – look out for a PM to your ID on the official forums later today. And one more thing – please check back on the blog on Wednesday for a little addendum to this week’s discussion!

ORIGINAL POST:

The Weekend Debate

Hey there folks. After a fortnight’s absence, Weekend Debate returns! Your topic for debate this week is a straightforward one. I’d like to know what’s the most emotional moment you’ve ever experienced in a videogame?

The incredible conclusion of Journey perhaps? The harrowing opening scenes of The Last of Us? Aeris’ demise in Final Fantasy VII? Let me know below.

The four most eloquently put suggestions win themselves two PS Vita titles: Little Deviants and Smart As.

I’ll admit that I have a slightly ulterior motive for this week’s discussion, which will be revealed next week. Even if you’re not interested in the prize on offer, I’d love it if you all chimed in!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

165 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Zomoniac 9 August, 2013 @ 5:06 pm   1

The ending of Ico. Just completely perfect.

The good ending of Infamous 2. I were so sad, I had come to love Cole and *SPOILER ALERT* he dies. Infamous 2 were something that really brought up emotions no matter what ending but the good were the saddest.

xYakuzaz 9 August, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   3

The ending of TWD no doubt

for me it does in fact have to be the above mention moment from final fantasy 7.

i think the main reason for it was because it was the first time anything like that had happened to me in a game, i remember being upset because of how it happened, i felt bad for cloud, i went through the rest of the game up to a point wondering if she would somehow come back(i had pheonix downs at the time why do they suddenly stop working for this story moment lol)

the only game since that has made me feel emotional was heavy rain, the mall scene at the start just made you feel so much for the main character and then everything that happened to him after. i felt his desperation.

i have last of us sitting unplayed atm and its next on my list id be surprised if its more emotional than heavy rain.

The ending of Metal Gear Solid 4, it’s exciting, Kojima in his maximum expression.

RDavenport 9 August, 2013 @ 5:12 pm   6

The ending of Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. The end of Solid Snake’s era…(as we know it so far.) Knowing that he was on his way to certain death after playing all of the Metal Gear titles and really getting a feel for him as the best character in gaming (for me.) it was heartbreaking knowing I wouldn’t be continuing his story any further.

yeah its been only out since a while but four moments in THE LAST OF US….

WARNING SPOILERS AHEAD
.When Joels daughter dies in his arms at the beginning. When Ellie kills David and Joel comes to stop and comfort her. When they see the Giraffes (soooo beautiful.. stood there for a good 20minutes in game and watched them eat leaves before i moved on. moment of utter beauty in a cruel world) and the end of the game when Joel lied to her and she knows its a lie but accepts it.

Razgriz375 9 August, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   8

I think the closing moments of Metal Gear Solid 4 were pretty emotional. Also some of the Corpse Party arcs were quite an roller coaster of emotions but I think the best is the Crisis Core conclusion. I can’t think of any others I’ve experienced on the PlayStation.

chrisboers 9 August, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   9

Mgs 4, but only before the credits. Sad that Kojima didn’t have the guts to kill off Solid Snake. He would have deserved it.

AsmodeanBT 9 August, 2013 @ 5:15 pm   10

The death of Elza in Suikoden II, after running around the land pursuing her only to find out she wasn’t the criminal she was made out to be and that she only wanted to find a place she could call home before she died at the hands of the person she loved.

VenomousAlbino 9 August, 2013 @ 5:18 pm   11

This is a brilliantly timed topic, as last night I finished my first playthrough on Heavy Rain, which contains a myriad of truly emotional scenes.

The one that stands out, however, is the third trial. After having already suffering injuries in a car crash and suffering horrific burns in the power plant, Ethan Mars finds himself in a dilapidated apartnent and is told he has 5 minutes to cut off his finger in front of the camera on the table.

Which he does.

What follows is easily the most emotionally gut-wrenching moment I’ve ever experienced in a game; the music combined with Ethan’s blood-curdling screams of agony perfectly conveying this man’s intense love for – and devotion to finding – his son. I felt his anguish and his agony in that scene, to an extent that no other game has managed.

phyllito1 9 August, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   12

I haven’t really played many emotional games but man, THE LAST OF US got me.

*SPOILERS!!!!!*

1. The beginning of the last of us – we all know.
2. When they argued about how she’s not his daughter & she’s just a package.
3. When Joel & Ellie had that talk “It was either him or me”
4. When I though Joel died.
5. When Joel was gonna leave Ellie to his brother at the dam.
6. When Ellie was alone & nearly got raped/killed!
7. Ellie was quiet for a while till she saw the Giraffes. (I stayed on the balcony for about 5 minutes after that, too emotional)
7. And last but not least, the whole ending.

Oh man Naughty Dog & Sony got me real good with this game.

*SPOILERS!!!!* THE LAST OF US

My Favourite game of all time and I thought it would be hard to beat Uncharted 2.
I can’t wait to see what Naughty Dog brings to the PS4! which I really want!

Ash1029 9 August, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   13

Hmmm this is hard..
After all of the games i have finished on my PS3,i must say the ending of Broderlands 2 was the saddest to me…
This sounds a bit weird,but i really liked Roland(spoiler) that died at the end…:(

lianplay_1985 9 August, 2013 @ 5:22 pm   14

the ending of MGS 2 was one of those all in one type of emotions, wish there was more!!!

RatchetBoy10 9 August, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   15

The MOST emotional gaming moment for me has to be

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack In Time

The ending in it where clank feels like he belongs in the clock and trying to work out his true destiny. It’s so simple yet so emotional

Sadodee 9 August, 2013 @ 5:23 pm   16

For me, that would be in inFAMOUS 2. I remember playing through it as Evil Cole and doing all those evil missions and side-things during the story was entertaining to me. But when I reached the end and I saw that I had to kill my best friend in order to satisfy my selfish desires, I was just saddened. It felt great to know that Cole would survive and live on, but at the same time, it just felt horrible to see him sacrifice his only true friend. During the cut-scene where they said to each other “Half as long. Twice as bright” and then starting to shoot each other, I just went tear-eyed. In the end when the credits rolled, my mind was thinking about all the things that had just happened. I actually thought about the things for a pretty long time, it had that kind of influence to me. It was a really awesome game, one that is going down my backlog of Playstation Memories for the rest of my life.

killbot-xD 9 August, 2013 @ 5:28 pm   17

I was devastated when I thought that Agro had died in Shadow of the Colossus. When he hobbled into the temple at the end of the game I had to punch a wall just to feel manly again.

I put a second hole on my wall when Big Boss died at the end of MGS4. =(

madmanwithabox12 9 August, 2013 @ 5:29 pm   18

SPOILERS AHEAD

The Last of Us for me is unrivaled in so many ways. Never has a video game taken me on such an emotional roller coaster, wrought with ups and downs and forever shrouded in hopelessness. It was a beautiful tale that ended brilliantly, whether or not we agree with Joel’s very human decision in the conclusion. It was an excellent game because it so masterfully placed you in Joel’s shoes. Moments like walking away from Tess are all on you, the player and I think that definitely helps in building more of a personal attachment to the characters. Watching as Joel and Ellie’s bond grows was awesome. I think the defining moments in that relationship are the moment Joel gives Ellie the gun, the entire Fall and Winter sections. It all then culminates in that heart-wrenching rescue mission in the hospital. The first time I beat it I just remember crying for about 10 minutes and not knowing why.

supersmith2500 9 August, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   19

I would talk about Metal Gear Solid 4 but since I saw comments about. I want to talk about Metal Gear Solid 1-3′s ending and there is some spoilers:

At the end of the game, you fight against The Boss and you must defeat her before the air strike occurs. Once The Boss dies, Naked Snake’s mission is complete and Naked Snake becomes the new ”Big Boss”.

Metal Gear Solid’s ending on the PSone is also great but one thing that kinda made me sad is if you do submit to Ocelot during the torture scene, Meryl dies and you escape Shadow Moses with Octocon instead, should you resist and successfully escape, Meryl lives and you escape with her and the ending music is just so sad and beautiful and even a great end to a great game.

I didn’t include MGS2′s ending because I just didn’t like the ending for that game.

supersmith2500 9 August, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   20

FINE! reject my entry.

scottieboy99 9 August, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   21

The ending on red dead redemption

WARNING SPOILER

When the main character dies and his wife

PayaV87eng 9 August, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   22

Mine will not be a sad moment…. Spoilers below:

Uncharted 2′s ending. It is perfect, just the way it is done. The hero saves the day, gets the girl and they live happily ever after… Everything just clicks in that moment, when they’re up in the Himalayan Mountains, talking about how scared Nate was (on a scale of one to ten), that Elena was going to die. Four.

By the way, four… When do we get Uncharted 4? At this point I wouldn’t even care if Drake would looking for a pig in a muddy jungle, I would still buy it.

bradigor1981 9 August, 2013 @ 5:32 pm   23

As much as The Last Of Us has one of the most emotional moments in a videogame, there is one moment that trumps it for me and that is a specific moment in Persona 4 Golden.

Across the previous hours I had become emotionally attached to the characters and the moment I discovered the fate of Nanako.

I was part expecting it, but the moment she passes away and I am given the choice of how to react, I was overrun with emotion and decided with the heart first. Any idea of trying for a certain ending went out the window on that first play through.

Nanako was a complete innocent and was taken from me. I had built up a strong relationship with here throughout the game and as my character I felt that sense of responsibility. I wanted to hurt the person who had taken Nanako from me, they had to pay.

I knew full well there was an option that wasn’t as dark as the choice I was about to take. I felt I had no choice, trying to harm new friends is one thing, but this was family…

I had to stop playing after that segment ended, I couldn’t dive straight back in, it was too much and I needed a break. Actual tears flowed it was one of the most emotionally draining moments I have felt in a game at the time.

Kenshin_44 9 August, 2013 @ 5:32 pm   24

final fantasy 10 when i found out that tidus was also just a dream i felt that one for days

Alienshade 9 August, 2013 @ 5:35 pm   25

Then FFXHD comes out to ViTa! Finaly!

Nightmare966 9 August, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   26

Can I say Assassin’s Creed: Revelations’ last memory? Obvious spoilers ahead:

When you see the last of Altaïr’s memories, and he says goodbye to his son, enters the library, sits… and as the camera turns around, you now see the man dead, centuries later, as Ezio holds the artifact in his hand and tells his “Brother” to rest in peace. Not only you see the end of an era, but of two at the same time.

Hats off to Ubisoft for that, because once you start understanding the characters you can’t help but feel sorry for him.

Hibbsy316 9 August, 2013 @ 5:36 pm   27

Mine would have to be the ending of Metal Gear 4, after growing up playing the series it was such an incredible moment in the last fight with liquid/ocelot with the game taking you through the different themes and visuals of the older games, just a perfect way to end the Snake story. If be kidding myself if I didn’t say I had a tear in my eye!

silmorat1 9 August, 2013 @ 5:38 pm   28

Uncharted 2 was so immersive an experience for me, the sounds,the hi-quality graphics, the cinematic set pieces and great story. I was blown away from the start,the falling sequence was so cleverly done it didn’t even feel I was playing (although I was) but it did feel like I was Nathan Drake. The game had me hooked it was an amazing feeling.

supersmith2500 9 August, 2013 @ 5:41 pm   29

Sorry for the furstration, comment pending approvals really annoys me.

cowbanana 9 August, 2013 @ 5:43 pm   30

It was a pretty emotional moment when Castlevania: Lords of Shadow decided to kill my save file. Great QA work there.

ThugETH 9 August, 2013 @ 5:46 pm   31

For me it has to be when Tidus leaves Yuna in FFX. I 100% completed the game on PS2 when I was about 20 years old and that cutscene really made me well up. It actually surprised me how I reacted to it.
The excellent music and amazing FMV is what really made me feel the moment and is why FFX is my favorite JRPG of all time.
To me this was much sadder than Aerith in FFVII as her death was final, whereas with Tidus and Yuna no one has died but they can’t be together so it leaves some kind of hope for the player.
I hope the new epilogue in FFXHD hints to some kind of threequel in an FFX-3 because tnat would be totally amazing!
I still have my piggyback strategy guide and I can’t wait to play the game once again on my Vita and PS3.
I hear October 25th is the release date btw ;)

XzSlLENTSNIPERzX 9 August, 2013 @ 5:46 pm   32

The graveyard scene in Metal Gear Solid 4 in which the player is misleaded to believe that Snake committed suicide tore me apart. After spending the best part of a decade following these characters religiously through forums, walkthroughs, video series and social media, the thought of Snake’s suicide destroyed me. To this day I yet have to cry more so than I did on that emotional-voyage of a day in my adult life. When we finally returned to the graveyard scene (a few scenes later) it was a tremendous relief to discover Snake’s security.

Following this, seeing Ocelot tell the girl that Snake won’t be returning shattered me and threw me into a waterfall of tears.

That day utterly destroyed me. I cannot bring myself to imagine the contents of that cutscene.

AntGreenfield 9 August, 2013 @ 5:49 pm   33

Great topic this week Fred! Spoiler alert on this one too as there already some very emotional ending moments being mentioned but for me it has to be the closing scenes from Telltales wonderful version of The Walking Dead. The game is full of heart wrenching moments as decisions are made that effect whether characters live or die but the closing scenes as Lee himself is dying and forces Clementine to leave him to die and carry on alone is possibly the most emotional moment in any game I’ve ever played. Telltale did such a good job at building bonds between the player and the characters that by the end, you actually cared about what happened to them. Roll on season 2!!

Bacon_Crispies 9 August, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   34

If its a Playstation game it is Isara’s funeral in Valkyria Chronicles, she was my favorite character who the rest of the cast hated, the moment everyone warmed up to her, bang, Kreis was an OK Tank driver, but he was no Isara

If I’m allowed non Playstation games I have to nominate “To the Moon”, I got it recently in the Steam sale and its a great game, trying to make a dying man’s wish come true however the turns the story takes makes it seems like you are the bad guy for doing your job, one scene which features the excellent Everything’s Alright by Laura Shigihara being sung over the “damage” you have done made me weep like a baby.

micmic2009 9 August, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   35

I think its got to be the ending of Batman: Arkham City, for obvious reasons :)

The sacrifice of Dom in Gears 3 with the song Mad World playing to make it complete. This scène gave me goosebumps.

The death of Aerith will also always be remembered but that will get mentioned a lot of times already.

atomiksuperinsan 9 August, 2013 @ 5:57 pm   37

mine is from red dead redemption. and it is even related to script.

i was picking flowers in mexico for completion. when i saw another plant in the minimap, i got off my horse and start walking. jus as i reach, i saw a dead man and crying woman near to him. she was crying and holding her husband or lover i think. flower was just near from dead man. i walked and took the flower. flys were all over his body. and the woman even looked at me once. i got back to my horse and suddenly i heard a gunshot.

and i realized that woman shot herself. i did not move about one minute because of being shocked. in my opinion red dead redemption is the highest point of the video game industry. and i feel lucky to play, cry, live with that game.

Ziggy_Marley_93 9 August, 2013 @ 6:05 pm   38

Before I start – possible spoiler alert for anyone that’s not played TWD.
The first game that immediately springs to mind above anything else I have ever played is Telltale’s The Walking Dead. After following the game from the first episode right through until the fifth, over a period of several months you spend a major part of the game protecting the character of Clementine through Lee. It’s an intrinsic part of the plot and through your in game choices you genuinely develop an attachment the character and care about to what happens to her. You find yourself in a dark room frantically hammering away at the controller and smashing buttons in earnest before a zombie can bite an eight year old fictional child, and in the few instances where you fail and the game over screen comes up you can’t help but feel like you’ve failed her.

Ziggy_Marley_93 9 August, 2013 @ 6:05 pm   39

Part 2:
You reach the last episode and you know it can’t end well. You don’t know how exactly, not yet at least, and as each minute ticks past the trepidation builds up and the sense of sheer foreboding becomes unbearable. Without ruining the ending for anyone, I would bet money on the fact that not many people would have been able to watch the cut scenes to the end without many, many tears coming to their eyes, and I don‘t hesitate in admitting that my vision was a little cloudy when the end credits rolled. It was one of those moments where a truly immersive game, or any piece of art in fact, reaches its finale and you’re hit with a wall of unavoidable, pure and very human emotion.

scottieboy99999 9 August, 2013 @ 6:07 pm   40

The third level in red dead revolver when your dog gets shot by a crazy bandit

That made me cry

Superbuu3 9 August, 2013 @ 6:08 pm   41

Hands down it has to be Journey. *spoilers* (but you should’ve played it by now, its on sale get it now ;) )

I’d been playing with a complete stranger the whole way through the game, we didn’t know how to progress and slowly built up good team work learning to direct each other when we found the way to progress.

As time went bye if one of us was lagging the other would always come back to help the other progress. That moment when you progress up the hill in the snow and you finally tart slowing down. I wasn’t sure what happened, but my new found friend fell face first in the snow. I tried calling to them but I couldn’t get them back up. As I tried to get closer to them to see if that might help I collapsed myself and wasn’t sure what was going to happen. Had I done something wrong?

The opening of the final level and finding you are reunited with your friend took the rollercoaster of emotions to a whole other level.

Can’t wait till ThatGameCompany releases another playstation gem.

diogommill 9 August, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   42

*SPOILERS for THE LAST OF US*

When I think about emotional moments in games I can’t help but think of the moment in The Last of Us where you see the giraffes. After everything you go through in Winter with Joel possibly being dead, Ellie kidnaped and almost eaten/raped and bashing David’s face in, the tranquility of the giraffes brought some tears to my eyes. The contrast of the two seasons (Winter and Spring) is easilly one of the most beautiful-in-a-strange-way moments in any video game.

Dad0xen 9 August, 2013 @ 6:12 pm   43

First I wanted to talk about one particular moment from The Last of US, but reading through the comments I’ve come to the conclusion that I simply cannot pick and choose one, as in one that made me lough, smile angry or sad. Can’t choose one moment based on the type of feeling it made me feel, that wouldn’t be fair to the Devs who put their hearts and soul into it and each and every moment is well crafted and deserves recognition. So to close this, my most emotional moment in gaming was the “emotional roller-coaster” that was/is The Last of Us.

link1983 9 August, 2013 @ 6:16 pm   44

I am sure this will equal an instant disqualification but finishing The Legend Of Zelda: A link to the Past was pretty emotional. Not in a teary kinda way but in a everything worked out kinda way. I felt happy that I had restored a digital world and that everyone looked happy. From Link’s Uncle, who hadn’t been seen since the first dungeon, right through to the sick kid in Kakariko Village catching things with his net (How did he get that back?) No other game in the Zelda series has brought me as much satisfaction. Yes even the ending to Ocarina paled in comparison.

My emotional experiences as far as PlayStation games are concerned are:

Metal Gear Solid 4 (10 years justified in a truly epic ending)

Infamous 2 Both Endings (I got teary at the good ending)

Journey (Made me think about my own journey)

Last of Us (The diner scene caused me to actually want a Video Game character to die horribly)

God Of War 2 (The ending had me beyond psyched for Gow 3)

There you have it.

Rugbychick_ 9 August, 2013 @ 6:18 pm   45

FFVII was the first game of it’s type I’d ever played. I’d never experienced anything like it. There was a compelling storyline & characters I could (& did) get invested in. I had my favourites, it was always Cloud & Aeris. My teenage heart just willed them to be together. He was the warrior, she was the sweet, innocent girl who used her power to help others. Heroes right? When the moment came I wasn’t prepared. I was ready to follow my heroes to the end. Cloud would defeat Sephiroth with Aeris’ healing back-up & they would live happy ever after. But they didn’t. I couldn’t believe what Square Enix were putting in front of me. Surely there was some sort of mistake. Cloud, somebody, ANYBODY will whip out a phoenix down & everything will hunky dory. Except nobody did & she was gone. It wasn’t right. More than that, it wasn’t FAIR! I sobbed like a little girl. I’d been convinced she would be part of the party that would take me all the way to Sephiroth & that sweet flower seller from the Midgar slums would get her happy ending. After all, she deserved it right? I still play FFVII. Even knowing it’s coming I have to prepare myself. It takes me back to a teenage heartbreak that I never quite got over. RIP Aeris Gainsborough

Fernestar 9 August, 2013 @ 6:21 pm   46

Aeries by far. Although the first time I went to the convenience store in Fallout 3 where the bandits come back whilst you are poking around was certainly the most tense!

thanosp81 9 August, 2013 @ 6:22 pm   47

Most emotional game moment for me was the ending for Another World known as Out Of This World in NA). A cinematic action adventure (probably the first ever?) telling a rich story (no voice of course)of two soon to be friends and a journey to the unknown. If you have never played the game (it’s old) please do.

Whilst TWD, FF7, Heavy Rain and The Last of Usare brilliant and worthwhile choices, I have to say there are two for me and with different reasons

*Spoilers ahead for Metal Gear Solid 3 and Final Fantasy VIII*

1. The most emotional moment, in a game with many twists and turns, was discovering The Boss’s true purpose and how she just accepted what needed to be done for the good of her country. It was a twist in a story that had everything you could ever want from a game. A truly beautiful moment when eva starts to choke up and Big Boss salutes as she says Patriot gives me goosbumps everytime.

2. Is completing Final Fantasy VIII, it was my very first game I had bought and completed on the Playstation. I remember being so engrossed in the story and taken in by the combat system that I dreaded moving on to disc 4 as I did not want it to end. I have completed it many times since and will continue to play it. The ending of disc 3 when both Squall and Rinoa are in space and the song “eyes on me” is playing the background isjust such a sad and then lovely moment when you rescue her. It is one of my unforgettable moments in games.

LazyBones9000 9 August, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   49

Spoilers: Shadow of The Colossus (SoTC)

For me it might have to be when Agro in SoTC appears to die.

After all he/she has been with you in the Forbidden Land for some 8 – 10 hours helping you get to fruit bearing trees, occasionally managing to help you trample those tasty white tailed salamanders, just getting you from A – B of wherever you felt like checking out, being there as part of your unsuccessful acrobatic act who just couldn’t latch onto an eagle and finally who else was there in the thick of the action when you were taking on those curious and awe inspiring creatures that were the colossi?

Add to this the point at which this appears to happen, when you are reaching your quests end coupled with the moving music throughout that helped define the game, and one can not help but feel the heartbreak that is loss. Until we realise that Agro lives that is.

Sir_Gunnalot 9 August, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   50

Silent Hill 2 would have to be my pick. I could probably mention all of the Silent Hill games at some point, and probably mention most of the story of SH2 as well. Everybody descends into madness in that game, including Angela, who spends half the game contemplating suicide, and eventually confesses to murdering her abusive parents, and Eddie, who snapped after years of bullying. But the real emotional kicker is when you discover that you (James) killed your own terminally ill wife to end her suffering, and the events of the game are your own mind punishing yourself for your own actions. The endings aren’t much better either, considering that one of the two positive endings implies you will suffer the same fate again.

I’d have to say that Silent Hill 2 probably ranks among the saddest games of all time.

Load all