Posted 10:00am

The PlayStation Blog recap

PlayStation.Blog Recap

Hey there folks, Fred here with your recap of all this week’s PlayStation news. Highlights of the past seven days? Well, we welcomed legendary God of War 2 designer Cory Barlog back to the Sony Santa Monica Studio, went behind the scenes with the Tearaway team at Media Molecule, kicked off a cracking PS Plus contest, lifted the lid on a fresh batch of Soul Sacrifice DLC and launched a fresh batch of discounts on a number of PSP and PS Vita titles.

See the full reading list below, and please join us again on Monday for a really busy week on PlayStation Blog. Gamescom is nearly upon us!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

71 Comments 23 Author replies
Show oldest first

Hi Fred :) i have two questions:
1. Any news about Final Fantasy X & X-2 – HD Remake for this week?
2. Will we see new games for PS Vita at gamescom?

Hi Fred, after the Vita update my Vita gets out of sleep every 15 to 20 minutes for a short time. Could you please acknowledge the bug and tell me if a patch is in the works and when we will see it?

I have the same problem as OttoT. It’s getting really annoying to see the screen light up every 15 minutes. Please fix that.

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 10:54 am

Noted guys – I’ll check in with the tech team and see if I can get an update asap.

Will we get news before, during or after gamescom about Ratchet gladiator?
This 82 day and counting wait after the USA is getting on my nerve

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 10:55 am

Sorry to be a broken record, but all I can say right now is that we’ll have news soon.

Fred, what happened to the second part of my contribution to the weekend debate? Yes, for the finish I made a critical joke about the accompanying emotions, regarding the still missing release of Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross in Europe. I don’t get why it was necessary to get rid of it.

What happened to the promised improvement to the store’s download list btw?
We still have no filter or search options. We were told that it was on the to-do list and that frequent updates would follow …

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 10:57 am

Hey Golwar. I’ll be sure to give you all a heads-up when news about Store updates is ready to roll.

I’ll have to speak to moderators about your WD post.

MASPALOMAZ 11 August, 2013 @ 11:15 am   6

Looking forward to the sale this week on wednesday I suppose, and would very much like info on a digital release of GTA V because I rather have the full game on harddrive even tho it will probably be 20 or 30 GB.

@MASPALOMAZ I think you might like to ask that question to Rockstar games

Nightmare966 11 August, 2013 @ 12:29 pm   8

To me the highlight this week was the Vita 2.60 FW. It’s made the system even more accessible — the Plus Cloud Storage on each game page is surely my fav feature.

Fred, I’d like to know about the Download List feature as Golwar says as well. We were told on October it was on the to-do list, and the webstore has the filters there already. We’ve gone a long way ever since the new Store launched (at least for me it’s way more useable than before).

I’d like to suggest a few things as well — since the Weekend Playlist seems to be condemned for now, how about trying something else? I was thinking of having the regular pople on the Blog posting on the debate (since they’re not eligile for the prize anyways, it shoulnd’t be an issue). I think it’s a good way to break the routine here.

Also, I’m missing a few Blog posts from Tecmo Koei Europe. With the release of Dynasty Warriors 8 and DOA5: Ultimate, one would think they’d have made a post or two, but alas nope :(

Thanks for your time as always, can’t wait for Gamescom! :)

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 10:59 am

I was speaking to Tecmo late last week actually! They’ll be back on here soon, promise. Your Weekend Debate suggestion is noted – I just need to get Gamescom in the rearview mirror and then I’ll look into giving the regulars a bit of a revamp.

Any news on the PS+ update from september this week?

StinkyBadger 11 August, 2013 @ 1:39 pm   10

Also, don’t foreget to check out PlayStation Mobile if you have a Vita. Some great games on there, this week Shuttle Quest is free to try, and Little Acorns looks alot of fun.

@StinkyBadger I would love to but Mobile hasn’t rolled out to any other country as promised after the initial launch…

ryannumber3gamer 11 August, 2013 @ 8:20 pm   12

Hey Fred i got some questions.

1.Is there any update on the AR Connection problems on Sly Cooper Thieves in Time?
2.Any Update on Ratchet Gladiator HD?
3.Any update if we will get the PaRappa series on the PS1/2 Classics? or is it still unlikely?
4.It was announced on the official Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale forums that the third Raiden,Heihachi,Big Daddy and Dante costumes will be arriving on the 27th of August for the US and they will be free. Is there a confirmed date for here yet? I’m assuming it will be the 28th like how the dlc characters were put out a day later than the US.

Thanks in advance :)

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 11:00 am

I’ve nothing for you on 1, 2 and 3.

4. Yes, 28th August is indeed a fair assumption

MASPALOMAZ 11 August, 2013 @ 10:51 pm   13

#9
september plus

max p3
ac3
nno k

maybe :)

supersmith2500 11 August, 2013 @ 11:05 pm   14

My hopes at Gamescom 2013:

1. Really hope Sony announces brand new games for the Vita. (more AAA less indies)
2. New Vita bundle, a white Vita would be real nice.
3. Release date of the PS4.
4. Don’t focus too much on the PS4 just like what you did at E3.
5. New apps for Vita please. We still don’t have Toro or Netflix.
6. In speaking of IGC, I bet we get GTAIV next month.

And yes Sony, you own 100% of Toro you and it should be in QA by now. Yes, I know Ecolibrium also took time in the US too.

supersmith2500 11 August, 2013 @ 11:06 pm   15

@MASPALOMAZ:
Or they might even save it for Gamescom. It’s too early for next month yet.

im surprised at some peoples replys to cory as i really enjoyed his post.

i have been playing an upcoming ps4 game on my pc in the form of dont starve and ill deff be re buying on ps4, it be interesting to know why its better suited to ps4 than ps3 however as i dont think its a big strain to run.
but it is a fantastic game very different from the norm and very addictive and a welcome addition to the playstation family when it arrives.

outside of that i blasted through the story of dmc for the first time and i really dont get all the hate for this one its a sublime game with a fantastic fight system.
right after this i tried to get into gow accencion and just could not get into it(possibly as a result of dmc)
finally got stuck into spartacus when the servers came on have been having lots of fun with that.

but the stand out of the week has to be dont starve, honestly dont pass on this when its out on ps4

Gamesgbkiller 12 August, 2013 @ 12:22 am   17

Gamescom is coming soon.

So… should I be exited ?

Thanks.

Mattbrad 12 August, 2013 @ 7:33 am   18

Have you guys ever thought about doing a podcast much like the us blog team do? It’d be cool to hear from you guys

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 11:02 am

We have indeed discussed it. We already have the US Blog podcast and the OPM podcast – do you all really want another one? I’d be interested to hear your thoughts.

Hey Fred,

Is Payday 2 unlocking/releasing tommorow on PSN Store ?

Because on my store(Slovenia) it says ”available on 13/8/2013” but on UK store it’s ”available on 14/8/2013”

I hope we(the rest of Europe) are not getting delayed one day because of that ?

I already paid and downloaded digital edition…now I’m just waiting that the game unlocks :)

Nightmare966 12 August, 2013 @ 11:14 am   20

Great to hear! Thanks for replying Fred :)

On the podcast matter, I think it would be a neat idea (note that I myself don’t listen to the US Podcast or the OPM one. The first is for the SCEA territory mainly, and the second one I didn’t even know it existed :P).

You can always try to get/touch other games and studios (Media Molecule, Guerrilla)… (I understand that there’s always bound to be some games that will be topic in both, especially the ones that have been launched, but it would still be another point of view most likely).

Hutchfull 12 August, 2013 @ 11:14 am   21

Fred

are there anymore PSone classics (wipeout 2097) or PSP games coming to the store?

Also any news on Guilty gear accent core plus r???

@Fred
Nope, I’m not interested in a podcast. I prefer written information. Far easier to quickly fetch the information of value and interest. Most podcasts just waste time.

But I wouldn’t mind a video series that introduces several SCEE teams and explains their work(ing conditions). An open approach even might solve some “issues” aka reduce criticism. Unlikely though. ;)

Maybe a more personal video blog series from the Gamescom then?

Any info if we can watch Sony’s Gamescom press conference livestream on vita?

supersmith2500 12 August, 2013 @ 11:35 am   24

@Mattbrad:
Having two podcasts would be kinda pointless. There is an unofficial one called PlayStation Radio UK.

@Fred:
Vita games at gamescom, make sure they are not the same ones from E3. Also, I hope I don’t have to wait a year again. Btw, Duck Tales defo coming this week, saw a pre-order on Store. = )

Yeah I would defo download an eu edition podcast. The us blogcast is great (specially now ryan clements is part of the team) but it would be awesome to hear something more personalised to our region

mellan_Konsten 12 August, 2013 @ 11:52 am   26

Hi @Fred =)

I need some help. I Bought when vikings attack for the vita back when the game launched and for some reason my download got corrupt and i asked here for a refound (wich i got). I didn´t want to risk buying it again afraid to lose my money so i bought Urban Trial Freestyle instead and it was great.

here comes my problem, I have been a plus subscriber since last year and now (this month) when I´m supposed to be able to download when vikings attack for free on ps plus I still can´t (I have tried both ps3 and vita veersion).

Can someone help me?

ps. So good to be a Vita-owner this fall!

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 6:17 pm

Alas, I can’t personally help with that but customer support team will be very happy to get you fixed up. Click on the button on the right hand menu for details of how to get in touch.

gAreth-87 12 August, 2013 @ 11:52 am   27

I too would like a EU BLOGCAST. The US one is horrible! That Sig guy has got to be one of the fakest, creepiest and unrelatable people at PlayStation. Ergh… Thank god Ryan Clements has joined.

@Mattbrad

Clements is on it now?! *flails* Count me a new listener!
I do miss him so :’)

ten-bucks 12 August, 2013 @ 12:59 pm   29

Im looking at picking up hotline miami but is it going to be on September plus as I’d be raging if it was. Is the trophy list shared or separate?

HiddenAway 12 August, 2013 @ 1:05 pm   30

I’m probably the only one asking but is “Open Me!” coming out this week in Europe? Seems the US gets it this week.

PIREDERAS 12 August, 2013 @ 1:09 pm   31

Hi Fred. I ‘m looking forward to Gamescom. More than PS4 games (as sure there will be many of them), I am actually looking after Ps Vita news. Can we expect more exciting game/features announcements about it?

I also insist that PS Vita be more of a tablet with added apps Android-style, in addition to having great games.

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 6:18 pm

I won’t be drawn on Gamescom hints I’m afraid ;) You’ll just have to tune in next week.

Grantoso 12 August, 2013 @ 1:18 pm   32

Hey Fred why my post with questions about Walking Dead DLC release for Russia was taken down???????????

Grantoso 12 August, 2013 @ 1:19 pm   33

Here I’ll repost it without the pictures:
@Fred Dutton
Okay I’ll try this one more time…
It’s already a month since worldwide release of The Walking Dead DLC called “400 Days” and it’s still unavailable in Russia? Why is that? It’s available in Russia on Steam and XBL and the first season is available in Russia on PS store, so whats the problem with this particular DLC?
And why am I being ignored by you and by TTG on their official forum???

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 6:19 pm

This is likely one for TT to answer – unfortunately I can’t shed any light.

remanutd5 12 August, 2013 @ 2:43 pm   34

Hi fred, someone else asked this question but im gonna ask again, Should we(psvita owners) get excited about gamescon? i mean new big game announcements from WWS? system, memory cards price drop? bundles? new apps?

@Fred

Will the Gamescom conference be an hour long or 90 minutes?

A hope I have for Next generation that Ireland will finally get the video store. Also that we will be able to download game trailers from the store with hours of the games announcement. I am sick of downloading them and getting poor quality off Youtube and the likes.

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 6:20 pm

I couldn’t give you an exact figure – but it will be in that sort of bracket.

are the super early plus update posts going to continue this month?

if so is Septembers post on the horizon soon?

cowbanana 12 August, 2013 @ 3:29 pm   37

Do we get this Japan focused Vita sale? : http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/08/12/ps-vita-game-sale-celebrates-japanese-developers/

At least I expect to pay no more than €9.99 for New Little King’s Story when/if it goes on sale here.

Come on SCEE, show that you care a little!

@Fred – Just want to flag a potential issue with the Puppeteer pre-order bonuses. I have downloaded the avatars and dynamic theme, however the avatars do not appear in the account management section, also the theme returns this error when trying to apply it “This theme cannot be used. You may be able to use it after signing in. Sign in with the account that was used to purchase this theme, and then select it again.” … Now obviously I am using the account that purchased this content and have even tried logging out of PSN and then logging back in but still get the same error. Any chance you could take a look at this?

supersmith2500 12 August, 2013 @ 4:12 pm   39

@cowbanana:
Hate to say this but both SCEE and SCEA are separate divisions. We are already having a sale that has Vita games.

GAMEPROFF 12 August, 2013 @ 4:16 pm   40

Is there a chanche, that we get a #PlayStationMemories Best of Sale after the #PlayStationMemories Vita Sale? Missed a few games back then, it would be great if there were a recap to celebrate GamesCom ;)

cowbanana 12 August, 2013 @ 4:26 pm   41

@supersmith2500

I know they are. But SCEA is awesome (most of the time) and SCEE is a huge joke (most of the time). Especially when it comes to securing content and deals for their respective customers.

Why don’t I have access to the video store? PS Mobile? Why can’t I get the Pulse wireless headset app on the EU store? Because SCEE is a joke. That’s why!

Just look at that sale I linked. Compare to SCEE deals and stare blankly in disappointment.

@cowbanana
How many more pointers do you need that New Little King’s Story will be part of the IGC next month? Chris Howe dropped you more than enough hints, seriously.

cowbanana 12 August, 2013 @ 5:16 pm   43

@Golwar

Well, let’s see about that. In any case I’d rather buy for 10 Euro than rent via IGC.

SCEE Vita sales outright suck compared to that SCEA sale. There’s no way around that fact. I think we can all agree on that?

TargetFinderKing 12 August, 2013 @ 5:31 pm   44

This blog would be so friendly without Golwar, cowbanana and Fred.

@TargetFinderKing

this blog would be way less fun with out the people you listed.

and the place is dull without fred, just look at while he was on holiday the place was just not the same.

how about you make a contribution to discussions rather than just posting nonsense

Fred Dutton 12 August, 2013 @ 6:24 pm

I endorse the opening sentiment of this post

… but let’s keep things friendly, yes?

cowbanana 12 August, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   46

@TargetFinderKing

This is an honest question. Are you a Vita owner? Are you actually satisfied with the level of service provided by SCEE? Do you think the sales even begin to compare to the SCEA sales? Do you like not getting PS Mobile and a multitude of other thing?

If all this is OK with you. Can you imagine that it might be pretty far from OK for other customers who care about these thing? Do you think it’s unwarranted to want better service when clearly Sony does provide better service to other customers?

Agreed cowbanana, their sales surely could be improved. A lot probably. But we surely complain already enough about that, during the sales. No need to drag “the war” to every thread. ;)

Thanks hayzink.

@cowbanana

i take my hat off to you for being a vita customer and sticking with the platform.

i myself bought a vita at launch and as a few people know i was robbed of it and after a few months i stumped up for another so all in i spent close to £600 on hardware and accessories.
I personally have not had your patience with it however, after being let down time after time with big shows like e3 not really offering much in the way of new vita games, sales not materialising for the vita, apps not being released in the eu and just the way that in my opinion the vita was treated as the red headed stepchild of the sony family i decided to sell my vita as it just does not seem relevant to me at the moment with my ps3 still offering me lots of fun and a ps4 at launch.

if sony pulls something out the bag for vita that’s amazing ill wait till its actually implemented and then i will buy my third vita,
its an amazing bit of kit that has just not delivered on the promises made at launch(not due to the hardware may i add).

Nightmare966 12 August, 2013 @ 6:25 pm   49

Seeing that DOA5+ and Dynasty Warriors Next together for ~20$ hurts >_<

@fred

sorry the last bit of that post is more in relation to the fact that user has made a few posts like that and also posted that people should be banned etc.

hence the nonsense part ;)

Load all