Posted 15 August

Introducing PlayStation Vita Pets, coming in 2014

PlayStation Vita Pets_Logo_Colour

Hey everyone! My name is Kevin Oxland and I’m creative director at Spiral House. I’m very excited to be here today to finally announce our new game with Sony for the PlayStation Vita. Please welcome PlayStation Vita Pets!

PlayStation Vita Pets is no ordinary pet game! We’ve done our best to really make this feel like a PlayStation game – with ‘game’ being the important word there. We set out to make something that was more than just a pet sim – we wanted to make something that felt like a real game, with characters, fun and adventure, so that’s exactly what we did.

We also wanted to focus on the dogs themselves, which may seem an obvious thing to say, but making them move, act and speak (!) in a very convincing way for the scope of the game we had in mind, was not easy.

Making humans walk and move realistically in videos games is one thing, but creating truly convincing dogs for today’s demanding younger gamers, really is something else. This, we felt, could only be achieved using the power and features of the PlayStation Vita.

In the game you pick from four different puppies, each with their own personality, sense of humour and character traits. Together you and your new friend will be able to do all the things you would do with a real dog or in any other pet sim but in PlayStation Vita Pets we allow you to go further! Once you’ve gotten to know each other and learned the skills needed to venture outside the safety of your home you’ll be able to embark (no pun intended) on the adventure of Castlewood Island!

PlayStation Vita Pets Adventure Screen 06

That’s right; outside of the home where you dress, bath, play with and train your dog is a whole island of adventure to explore and puzzles to solve. Together you’ll be able to explore a massive forest, venture into multiple locations like spooky old mines and graveyards to ultimately make your way to the legendary castle in the centre of the island. We don’t want to spoil anything else right now so we’ll leave further details of the story until one of our next posts on the blog.

PlayStation Vita Pets Home Screen 04

Spiral House is a UK-based development team who’ve been around since 1998 but our pedigree goes back years before that with games like the classic RPG, Silver. We’ve had a successful track record in recent years developing and assisting on many key titles, including the successful PS3 titles, MotorStorm and LittleBigPlanet. Fast forward many years and many games later, we also developed EyePet and EyePet Adventures for PSP. So our pedigree is a perfect fit for this game.

PlayStation Vita Pets Home Screen 01

Like we said before, there is also a whole pet sim element to the game, all the things you would expect to be there and more will be included, bathing, dressing up, training, learning tricks, stroking, feeding, walking, and much more! We’ve also got some great extended AR features to go into in coming month as well. We’ve really tried to make sure this is a true next-generation pet game!

We can’t announce a release date just yet, but you can expect to see it launching across Europe next year. Until then the game will be seeing its first outing at Gamescom later this month where people will be able to get their hands on it and meet two of the dogs. We’ll be back after the event with a rundown of how it all went and to shed more light on the pet aspect of the game and how the adventure and the nurturing sides of the game are intertwined to provide a deep gameplay experience.

Until then, thanks for reading!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

66 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Oh man! I hope this sells some Vitas. Seems like Nintendogs market.

SuperSackboyFan 15 August, 2013 @ 2:36 pm   2

This looks surprisingly good. WHY DOES THIS LOOK GOOD? O-O

zalwelgoedgaan 15 August, 2013 @ 2:37 pm   3

Oh God THEY ARE TALKING

CarBoyCam 15 August, 2013 @ 2:39 pm   4

@ SuperSackboyFan

I know right… It shouldn’t appeal to me… But… It does… XD

EmperorLawlight 15 August, 2013 @ 2:40 pm   5

Shameless ripoff…

whaha nintendogs

ah well at least this will be on the very short list of good looking ps vita games so this will make number 5 of the 100

MASPALOMAZ 15 August, 2013 @ 2:43 pm   7

Why not Minecraft or something like Fire Emblem/Advance Wars ? Even some huge new tower defense franchise would be nice.

endlessmyke 15 August, 2013 @ 2:44 pm   8

AWESOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!

A bad miss for a game like this to not get out before the holiday.

I agree! This should be made for Christmas, would push up VITA’s sales! It looks fantasic, I am very much looking forward to it already. :) This and Invizimals should be awesome! Hope they put some cats in it later too as DLC. ;D

not a game for me but like others have said it could shift units just like nintendogs did for nintendo and this can only lead to more vita support.

hope it takes off

dogwalker4000 15 August, 2013 @ 2:50 pm   12

I’m a man who is almost 30 and I want this.

endlessmyke 15 August, 2013 @ 2:51 pm   13

@MASPALOMAZ yeah…why isnt this a chess game….or a cooking simulator?

It looks great and seems quite fun too! :)))

looks great shame we have to wait a year though ;( …seems like i should have waited to get a vita its as if all the best apps for it are out next year ;( no vita love from sony at all

thegreatnolive 15 August, 2013 @ 2:56 pm   16

what the? no really where are those exclusives that we were so anticipating?

stargateheaven 15 August, 2013 @ 2:57 pm   17

uhh… looks cool, except the talking, who thought that was a good idea? lol

OneTonKillEm 15 August, 2013 @ 2:58 pm   18

The gameplay in this game (PlayStation Vita Pets) looks much better than Nintendogs. I will be buying this game when it’s released.

cowbanana 15 August, 2013 @ 3:01 pm   19

I don’t know if I should laugh or cry. :/

RoBo-O-G 15 August, 2013 @ 3:04 pm   20

Why are you copying nintendo games that were popular like 8 years ago? First smart as (which i’m guessing flopped) and now vita dogs? Lol

weaselpipe 15 August, 2013 @ 3:07 pm   21

Nintendogs… Playstanines? Plalsations?

cirnodaisuki 15 August, 2013 @ 3:11 pm   22

Sony DOG whahahaha!!!!
please,Sony!I want minecraft for vita。

MASPALOMAZ 15 August, 2013 @ 3:24 pm   23

gta5 online http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olEGtoYs_8A

vita 2 will have gta5?

Promise me Dusty from Gravity Rush as a pet and you can definitely have my money.

VitalogyPJ 15 August, 2013 @ 3:43 pm   25

Here I thought sony learned their lesson with eyepet *sigh* apparently not -.-

Envirasu 15 August, 2013 @ 3:44 pm   26

Will there be an option to disable talking pets? The voice work is actually pretty decent, but I’m not too keen on the whole animals-with-human-voices thing. Very off-putting.

NoobBlast 15 August, 2013 @ 3:46 pm   27

I thought it looked like the newest Nintendogs posted on the wrong page. Even same dog. ;)

Another “Sony miiToo ™” game in other words.

Noone of the games Sony blatantly copied from Nintendo became a success. I don’t think this one will be successful either, because its released to the wrong market like their other “miiToo” games.

cowbanana 15 August, 2013 @ 4:04 pm   28

You might as well have burned the money you spent on this Nintendogs clone. Because it’s going to tank so hard!

Seen many 3-7 year girls with Vitas lately? Do you think this game will sell a lot of Vitas to that demographic? My daughter is 7 years old and she already has a 3DS, but truth be told she’s spending far more time playing Minecraft on her Nexus 7 and talking about Minecraft with the boys in her class. Minecraft is HUGE with boys and girls alike. Digital pets is old news!

I really wonder how Sony can be so far removed from the demographics who actually buys Vitas and that Sony has a chance to sell Vitas to – with the RIGHT games!

My faith in Sony’s handling of the Vita is ever dwindling :(

KylieDog 15 August, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   29

Totally not my sort of thing, but I won’t deny it looks genuinely good.

Dogs>Cats.

uberxtechnic 15 August, 2013 @ 4:11 pm   30

Certainly looks more interesting than other pet sims, but I was expecting to see other species included as well, what with the title being the broader term “pets”. I do like the look of this from the trailer and screenshots, but it’d be a definite buy if there were a variety of animals to choose from.

Is it going to be retail title?

Why are there only dogs in the trailer? Are there only dogs in the game? If so, why is it called “Pets”?

I really hope to see this in North America. SCEA doesn’t do anything to promote these games, so they do poorly and they stop bringing them. We didn’t get the third Invizimal game on PSP, and I didn’t even know that there was a second EyePet game on the PSP. *sigh*

There are so few Vita games, SCEA shouldn’t be excluding games like this and the new Invizimals from NA release.

supersmith2500 15 August, 2013 @ 4:19 pm   32

Sony’s answer to Nintendogs. Say, will this game get a retail release?

obiadekanobi1980 15 August, 2013 @ 4:23 pm   33

WOW a new game… is it GTA?… is it GTVita?… is it…ni no kuni?… is it monster hunter Vita?…

Nope its a Pets game WTF!?!?!?!

comen on sony i havent seen any littles girls carrying a vita, just the 3DS aim your games at the ppl who buy the damn thing!!

The games listed above are the ones i want to see you can’t take what Ninty has already dominated with Nintendogs

I really hope Gamescom has some good announcements for the Vita i really really do!!

Phene90x 15 August, 2013 @ 4:31 pm   34

This game is strange to me, u know not all people like dogs.

Serpantino 15 August, 2013 @ 4:33 pm   35

Please include an option to remove the talking & ip synching and replace it with dog noises (sniffing, barking etc) from watching the video it’s really offputting and doesn’t feel right.

The average age of vita players in the eu is probably late teens+ (I’m late 20s) so I’d really suggest making it engaging for adults too. Sims 3 pets on console did something similar with adventuring which both myself and my girlfriend enjoyed.

Well CUTE;)

Sims 3 Pets was a horrible bug fest, really ruined The Sims franchise for me

However this appeals and I’m not sure why. I can see me buying this when it comes out.

When I first bought my PS3 it came with move and a move starter disc. There was an Eyepet demo, and while setting up the camera I was waving around the move controller before I set it down and seemingly smacked the eyepet. He went absolutely nuts, attacking or doing rude stuff or whatever it was hilarious. I was immediately sold, strange Eyepet abuse sold a game

i agree i don’t like the talking at all, and why only 4 types of dogs? nintendogs has many more, there should also be cats in the game aswell.

GuttermouthSIN 15 August, 2013 @ 5:01 pm   39

I absolutely hate the fact that they talk. What makes it worse is the use of those horrible generic American accents.

monoliet 15 August, 2013 @ 5:10 pm   40

i have no problem them try other markets

no cats only 4 dog types = very esy = lots of dlc ;) lots of extra €€€€€ rip of , if u find dlc in mes up store .

sims 3 + pets on ps3 = joke to pc version
no direct controle on console = stupid.

mincraft to vita please !!!!

PortalOfGaming 15 August, 2013 @ 5:14 pm   41

Not for me, even if I have Nintendogs on my old Nintendo DS. Consider that on Nintendogs you can learn your dogs new tricks, go on a walk with your dog, play with it and much more, this is just making it look like a kids and Nintendogs clone game.

This is not where the current install base of 5 to 6 mln PSVita owners is waiting for as some major game…

Those paid roughly 250 for their system and another 50 bucks for a memory card.

If you want to sell a Nintendogs clone, you need a system that sells for around 150 bucks. All those kids still want the real thing and their parents want the cheaper system.

I may hope Gamescom will bring some announcements of games that actually will matter to the current install base and the grown up gamer…

VitalogyPJ 15 August, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   43

@28 Couldn’t have said any better. this just shows how they don’t give a damn to the PS Vita.

Tamagotchi anyone, it fell from the sky like a lightning and went under ground just as fast, and that was in 1996. So we’re in 2013, 17 years later, and sony thinks this is the path for a portable console than can handle Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, Killzone Mercenary, Need For Speed: Most Wanted, etc.

Oh well, what am I doing here, beating the blind to death -.-

Carnivius_Prime 15 August, 2013 @ 6:27 pm   44

Somewhat realistic-looking talking animals just creep me out too much (as a kid I even had a couple nightmares about Mr. Ed from that really old TV show most people probably don’t even remember). I prefer the Eyepet.

biskiel17 15 August, 2013 @ 7:08 pm   45

I don’t know how I feel about this. The most interesting thing to me was the AR feature.

mschulze0 15 August, 2013 @ 7:11 pm   46

What a shameless rip off…
I like my Vita (and will like my PS4), but it seems like only the big N can truly innovate…

NoobBlast 15 August, 2013 @ 7:32 pm   47

Nintendo and Disney is the only big companies to have “magic” in these kind of games. Sony never “had it”.
Sony failed on their every d*mn attempt to copy Nintendo, and yet they try again. (Little Big Karting, All Stars Battle, PS Move, Smart As, soon VITA pets etc..) All failures, and quickly forgotten.

How many decades will it take Sony to notice why none of these “Sony miiToo” games becomes a success? Why are they trying so hard to be “We want this game too” Lets copy it. If it works for Nintendo, sure it will work for Sony? LOL . Sony always aimed their consoles to the people which DO not like Nintendo games, and thats why all their miiToo attempts fail. PS4+VITA.. Another mistake to try to act like a Wii U.

No wonder Sony lost so much money for years. They need a new management which lives in current time, and not still in the last decades. ;)

Chaosprower 15 August, 2013 @ 7:59 pm   48

First impression: Bleh, a Nintendogs rip-off.

After watching the video: OMG THEY TALK?!?!?!?!? O_O

I admit that I’m impressed. This looks like the typical game that may not look like an AAA but sells consoles.

ShadowDoGGG 15 August, 2013 @ 8:45 pm   49

Sony are like the annoying classmate who sits next to you and just can’t help but copy. Bad sony! Bad! Do something new

“Spiral House is a UK-based development team who’ve been around since 1998 but our pedigree goes back years before that with games like the classic RPG, Silver. We’ve had a successful track record in recent years developing and assisting on many key titles, including the successful PS3 titles, MotorStorm and LittleBigPlanet. ”

How about Spiral House making a true Motorstorm game for PSVita? Especially a sequel to Motorstorm Pacific Rift aka Motorstorm 2 on PS3?

Port that engine to PSvita and give me a great game. Unlike Motorstorm Apocalypse/Motorstorm 3 that one sucks.

But well, this one, maybe if Sony drops the price for PSVita the kids might pick it up. Until then they’ll buy 150 bucks costing 3DS with the real Nintendogs I’m afraid…

Load all