Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:59pm

How to survive Killzone: Mercenary’s multiplayer open beta

Killzone Mercenary, 03

We’re just a few weeks away from the launch of Killzone: Mercenary now, but gamers won’t have to wait that long to cut their teeth on Mercenary’s impressive multiplayer suite.

The Killzone: Mercenary development team are expanding the multiplayer beta to give the servers a good test before the game is launched on PlayStation Vita.

For EU gamers, the open beta for Killzone: Mercenary will be made available to PlayStation Plus subscribers who own a PS Vita, from the 21st August.

On the 28th August the beta will open up further to become available to everyone* who owns a PS Vita, and will end on the 3rd September 2013.

Mercenary boasts a number of unique modes, innovative gameplay mechanics and introduces a daily ranking system to make Mercenary the most advanced, addictive multiplayer experience on PS Vita.

Killzone Mercenary, 02

What you should know:

• All money earned playing the game, in any mode, can be used to purchase new weapons and equipment from Blackjack (arms dealer). These purchases can then be used in both single player campaign and multiplayer.
  • Once campaign missions have been completed, they can be replayed with additional contract objectives. These challenge contracts provide a set of objectives based around Covert, Demolition and precision play-styles. They are also a great way of earning V$.
  • Each campaign mission contains six pieces of Intel to retrieve. There are two ways of retrieving Intel; interrogate captains (marked on radar) or hacking Intel terminals. Collect all six pieces of Intel to unlock bonus Valour Cards for your Valour Collection.

The Valor system:
The Valor system operates by assigning each member of the Killzone: Mercenary community a Valor Card. Your Valor Card represents your earning ability in the game, with Ace being the highest rank and two being the lowest. You will be issued a new Valor Card once every 24 hours, your new card will be based on your recent earnings compared to all other players, this means that the value of your card can go up as well as down!

In multiplayer, players will drop an instance of their Valor Card when they die. This card can then be collected for bonus V$ and the higher the Valor of the card the greater the reward. The suit of a players Valor card represents the weapon type they have been using. To change suits a player must make consecutive kills with a specific type:

• Clubs – make seven consecutive kills with an assault rifle or LMG
  • Hearts – make five consecutive kills with a secondary weapon
  • Spades – make three consecutive kills with a sniper rifle
  • Diamonds – make four consecutive kills with an SMG

Valor Cards collected in multiplayer and campaign (through retrieving Intel) are placed into your Valor Collection. Your Valor Collection is represented as a pack of cards and by making “hands” (four of a kind, flush, full deck) you will gain large V$ rewards.

Controls
When using sniper rifles you can change the zoom magnification of the scope by dragging up and down on the rear touch pad when aiming down the sight.

VAN-Guard capsules are regularly fired into multiplayer maps and some single player missions. These capsules contain a single use VAN-guard that the player can deploy.
Most touch controls are also mapped to physical buttons:

• Switch weapon = D-Pad right
  • Deploy VAN-Guard = D-Pad left
  • Grenade = D-Pad down
  • Interact = press triangle
  • Sprint = tap circle when moving

The only enforced touch screen interactions are for Brutal Melee, hacking, levers and some VAN-Guards.

The team at Guerrilla Cambridge has put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears to make Mercenary’s multiplayer package the most advanced experience to-date on the PlayStation Vita. We’re very excited for launch, but we think the open beta will definitely hold you over until September!

* For German users, the public open beta will be available via PlayStation Plus only, from the 21st August through to the 3rd September 2013.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

89 Comments 2 Author replies
Show oldest first

How big will the beta be?(MB)

kivi95 the closed beta was 1100mb so around that size

Does anything carry over from the beta to the full game?

2# Thanks, not extreme big then hopefully :)

vigilante_man 16 August, 2013 @ 6:41 pm   5

Great news!

Sony conference on Tuesday and then Killzone Mercenary Beta on Wednesday.

Cannot wait to see Killzone on my Vita.

O1d8oy_23 16 August, 2013 @ 6:54 pm   6

So awesome! Cannot wait! :D

Great stuff can’t wait to try it and see how it pushes the Vita tecnically!
I did apply for the closed beta but didn’t get in oh well I got into the FFXIV beta thats enough ‘testing’ for one man!

pressmyfoot 16 August, 2013 @ 7:17 pm   8

#1..

After all patches my last beta file was close to 2gb.

pmf (2 gigs of fighty goodness)

DarkElite11 16 August, 2013 @ 7:56 pm   9

I don’t have PS Plus but got the code from PS home on PS3. Is that code redeemable for the beta on the 21st like it said when I got it or do I still have to wait till the 28th even with the code? Someone please clarify! Thank you.

Recap
PS plus members get it 21st
Open public on the 28th
People who have a code 21st or 28th????

XDerKleineX 16 August, 2013 @ 8:00 pm   10

@DarkElite11: I think it’s safe to say the code will give you access on the 21st, since you wouldn’t need a code to get access on the 28th.

pressmyfoot 16 August, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   11

Beta was excellent, looking forward to trying more.

pmf (fan guard)

Bugabuser69 16 August, 2013 @ 8:31 pm   12

Awesome

Bugabuser69 16 August, 2013 @ 8:32 pm   13

cool

xXshotz123Xx 16 August, 2013 @ 8:50 pm   14

They said that before it would be available on the 17th not the 28th

dark_angel69 16 August, 2013 @ 10:15 pm   15

Woohooo!! Cant wait!!!! Very very excited to play this beta!!!!!!

hoddiemafia 16 August, 2013 @ 10:38 pm   16

Does anyone know are we gonna download the beta from the ps store or do we aplly. For a code

ten-bucks 16 August, 2013 @ 11:39 pm   17

already pre ordered through Amazon for princely sum of £27.99. looks so good beta will satisfy my appetite for now. looks 10x better than crap ops

MASPALOMAZ 17 August, 2013 @ 12:02 am   18

@ten-bucks so you are saying blackops on vita does not look good ?? Damn whenever i come to this blog i have one reason less to buy a vita, might get an atari lynx system because even that got a brighter future than the vita.

rule1979 17 August, 2013 @ 1:18 am   19

Almost two weeks of open beta, not bad, not bad at all :)

ninenullseven 17 August, 2013 @ 6:57 am   20

will people who pre-ordered the game through PSN get early access to beta?

O1d8oy_23 17 August, 2013 @ 11:04 am   21

@ninenullseven In don’t think so. Early access is for ps+. You will get access to beta from 28th.

ten-bucks 17 August, 2013 @ 11:08 am   22

@MASPALOMAZ. im not not knocking the vita as lego, racing games and platformers run really well. I play shooters on ps3 and thought this will be awesome. how wrong I was. same with q force port, it was abysmal. how developers shamefully put games out and have the nerve to take money. I bought guacamelee and hotline miami and they were awesome. I would like some AAA titles to go with my indie games that are worthy of AAA status. to any moaners out there YES this is not the place to post this however the vita deserves some defending :-)

Truefolder 17 August, 2013 @ 11:09 am   23

When are we going to see September PS Plus Update, please?

THANK YOU!

ten-bucks 17 August, 2013 @ 11:10 am   24

and I was knocking black ops

supersmith2500 17 August, 2013 @ 12:52 pm   25

@Truefolder:
Next week

charmoyl 17 August, 2013 @ 4:48 pm   26

Awesome! Can not wait!

suresh2k 17 August, 2013 @ 5:53 pm   27

hi I ma join

Hi I just received code to my email, Am I able to use it at 20th august? Cant wait to play this game =D

Gamesgbkiller 17 August, 2013 @ 11:49 pm   29

I didn’t receive anything.

But why on 20 august if you guys say it will be on 21 ?

solarwind12 18 August, 2013 @ 2:34 am   30

Was looking forwards to release of this, now i read about the intel and being assigned playing cards i ain’t happy, i truly despise most Every game that for both completionists or just avarage trophy hunters (most people) has you searching, hunting or looking at online guides Just to find collectable/intel X Y Z, especially action/combat games, it’s like in blops were mortars are raining down and you think, oh missed intel 30, best go looking Before i battle past these enemies and trigger checkpoint.. Hate it.. May seem like i’m being a little extreme but i don’t think i will ever forget a previous triple A vitas game ‘padding’, U GA, it totally ruined the otherwise ‘console like’ experience on a handheld.. fingers are crossed that won’t be as severe in this game.. Seriously though, why do most devs want us to stop playing a good action game to go look Everywhere for some (mostly) unimportant bit of trivia, I could just try and ignore it, but i just have to stop and look/search, done sensibly it does enhance gameplay, though the sensibly done ones are in minority, imo.

Lighthammer34 18 August, 2013 @ 11:34 am   31

I love my vita, bought it when it was released, can’t wait for this on the 21st, developers should do this more often.

O1d8oy_23 18 August, 2013 @ 4:19 pm   32

@Gamesgbkiller Codes are for people that registered for beta testing. That means if you recieved it you don’t have to have ps+ to play it two weeks earlier.

samyr-96 18 August, 2013 @ 4:51 pm   33

подскажите ключь на почту придет или так качять можно будет если есть подписка

I_CAN_HAZ_MONEY 18 August, 2013 @ 7:36 pm   34

Pretty darn hyped for this. I was keeping my fingers crossed for beta news last week, and here it is! Killzone: Mercenary Beta, Saints Row IV and Rayman Legends in the next couple of weeks; not bad. :D

Bunnyfoofoo27 19 August, 2013 @ 9:23 am   35

Hi Alex,

Please clarify. If I signup for Playstation Plus, how do I then gain access to the beta? How do PS + users then obtain a code to download the beta?

Thanks for any help with this.

Ben

dogwalker4000 19 August, 2013 @ 10:19 am   36

@Bunny

It will appear on the PS+ section when the store updates on the 21st, if you have PS+ you can just download it from there, no code.

LAMODAMOx1 19 August, 2013 @ 11:23 am   37

Hi Guys,

I know that Australia is one of the tagged countries for this blog post, but just want to confirm that the open beta on 21st for playstation plus customers will be available for subscribers in Australia before i purchase the membership?

Awesomeness. Can’t wait

Desktoppet1235 19 August, 2013 @ 2:56 pm   39

I got an email saying that the ps store will be updated on the 20th of August to download the beta

Desktoppet1235 19 August, 2013 @ 3:00 pm   40

I got ps + through an email play station sent me so I’m right until the beta comes out

theStoneSkull 19 August, 2013 @ 6:16 pm   41

Australia is included, mate. No worries. And PS+ is worth every penny.

day one purchase for me, love the killzone universe and cant wait for shadowfall . shame that shevchenko wont be making a return though!

if this games anygood it could be what the vita needed . ive herd nothing but posetive things sbout it an cant wait for beta. just hope they dont try an push to many screen swipes an presses some times its nice just to have a regular fps an let it do what its great at just in miniture

EMORTAL9 20 August, 2013 @ 9:09 am   44

how much is the game size for download from psn?

spldercarnage 20 August, 2013 @ 11:16 am   45

IM european , I have european psn but sony send me a email with a code and it said put the code after the store update 20 august and this update is in AMERICA ???

O1d8oy_23 20 August, 2013 @ 12:44 pm   46

@EMORTAL9 yeah. I’ve recieved the same email. It’s little bit confusing. EU has PSS update 21th [USA 20th] so we have to wait till tomorrow for download :-/

Chanandler 20 August, 2013 @ 8:51 pm   47

Is it being released at midnight tonight? Not that I’m too excited lol.

Niradhip2010 21 August, 2013 @ 1:06 am   48

I got the vita code in my email was like this

War is Our Business – Welcome to the Early Access Public Beta for Killzone: Mercenary
Thank you for your participation in the early access public beta for Killzone™: Mercenary that begins on August 20th. To download the beta redeem the voucher code after the store update on August 20th.

But the problem is when I try to redeem the code it gives me a np-8128-9 error.Does anyone know about the error??
I am outside us

RagnarWandering 21 August, 2013 @ 5:29 am   49

anyone managed to download it yet? im gmt +12 but its still saying invalid code :S

Chewywalnut 21 August, 2013 @ 6:21 am   50

I got in and the game is SICK!!! Only thing is the code is US only so you should contact sony and ask them for reigon specific code

Load all