Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 8:03pm

Borderlands 2 is coming to PlayStation Vita

BL2_VITA_BLOGPOST

Hello travelers! The dream finally becomes a reality, as Sony, Gearbox Software and 2K announces today at gamescom that the addictive first person shooter-looter mayhem of Borderlands 2 will be coming to PlayStation Vita.

I watched as Randy Pitchford, president of Gearbox Software, stood on stage at the Rezzed show in the UK a year ago and told fans that, with Sony’s support, he’d love to see Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita. For the last year, Gearbox Software, 2K, and Sony have been inundated with emails, tweets, forum posts and more from passionate gamers across the world pleading for a PS Vita version of Borderlands 2. You spoke, we listened, and with the wonderful collaboration between 2K, Sony and the team at Iron Galaxy Studios – makers of indie fighting game Divekick – we can finally make Borderlands 2 on PS Vita a reality!

For those of you new to the critically acclaimed shooting-and-looting mayhem of Borderlands 2, which won more than 55 editorial awards in 2012, you’ll be picking from four uniquely-skilled Vault Hunters – Axton the Commando, Maya the Siren, Salvador the Gunzerker and Zer0 the Assassin – and then gunzerking your way through the world of Pandora in an attempt to defeat the corrupt Hyperion Corporation, led by the notorious Handsome Jack.

Throughout these adventures, you will encounter a variety of distinctive, colorful characters including the explosive Tiny Tina, the (ex-)wife-of-many Mad Moxxi, and the friendly and energetic robotic companion CL4P-TP – you can call him Claptrap for short. That’s what his friends call him – or would, if he had any friends in the first place.

The PS Vita gives Borderlands 2 fans the ability to play the game anywhere they want, complete with of all the unique benefits of the Vita, and will truly bring the four-player cooperative experience to the palms of your hands. A new era of portable shoot-and-loot awaits! On behalf of Gearbox, 2K, and Sony, we want to thank the passionate fans for helping make Borderlands 2 on the PS Vita a reality, and we look forward to looting bazillions of guns with you guys on the go.

Borderlands 2 will be shipping on PS Vita in 2014 and will be published by Sony Computer Entertainment. Stay tuned for more information.

All the news from the PlayStation Gamescom 2013 Press Conference

PlayStation Plus on PS4: The revolution continues!

FEZ, Rogue Legacy, Volume lead an avalanche of awesome indies at gamescom

Murasaki Baby unveiled for PS Vita

Your first look at PS4 adventure Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture

Helldivers battles its way onto PS4, PS3, PS Vita in 2014

Shadow of the Beast is coming to PS4

N++ is coming to PlayStation 4

Extraterrestrial sandbox adventure Starbound coming to PS4

Velocity 2X leaps onto PS4 and PS Vita!

FEZ is coming soon to PS Vita, PS3 and PS4

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

27 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

So no NEW AAA Vita titles? This is nice don’t get me wrong but i’ve already played it…I really had high hopes but once again you’s have disappointed me as a Vita owner just like you’s did at E3

DestructorSVK 20 August, 2013 @ 8:09 pm   2

HUGE Surprise! Amazing

Crumptastic_86 20 August, 2013 @ 8:11 pm   3

I know it’s a port but I don’t care…this should be hugely enjoyable on Vita.

Combine this with a whole heap of awesome indie games and cross-buy titles galore and this makes me a happy (new) Vita owner!

Nice, will get this. But man what a horrible show for the Vita overall. Last years gamescom was better, which isn’t saying much..

supersmith2500 20 August, 2013 @ 8:14 pm   5

Awesome sauce, only PSVita game worth getting.

“I’m dancing, I’m dancing”

Surprised to see this coming to the vita, I would like to know how much of the PS3 version of Borderlands 2 will be missing on the vita? Will it be a stripped down version of the PS3 one? Will I have to spend hours looking for Jimmy Jenkins AGAIN?!! Is the co-op actually online co-op or is it the dreaded ad-hoc?

Carnivius_Prime 20 August, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   7

Not a fan at all but hey it’s a popular game and if it sells a few more Vitas then it’s all good.

XnoobsquadX 20 August, 2013 @ 8:21 pm   8

Want this for my vita yes please but other than this everything else pretty much sucked for me….. thnx sony for crushing my balls and my hope for the vita yet again

cowbanana 20 August, 2013 @ 8:22 pm   9

So this is published by SCE, which means that they paid for the port. What a waste. Why not develop new unique games instead of throwing money away on old games that most people have played already. Do you really think anyone will care about Borderlands in 2014?

It’ll most likely be another hot mess like the other rus-hjob ports on the system.

Sony is clueless when it comes to the Vita :(

All I want is some great original games.

dark_angel69 20 August, 2013 @ 8:24 pm   10

I never got round to buying Borderlands 2 yet. Been too busy with other games instead so decided I would wait for a GoTY edition. That’s if it would come out in one. But after seeing this I would like to know if this would be cross buy? Sounds great being able to play it on the go and I would like to play on both console and Vita but if it wasn’t a cross buy and I had to choose only one, I would have to go for the console for bigger screen, better sound and more comfort in holding the remote.

JoshHood 20 August, 2013 @ 8:27 pm   11

Hope we get the DLC, but the note about having only four classes isn’t that promising. Pretty please?

SuperJag86 20 August, 2013 @ 8:33 pm   12

This is great news! I know we’re going to have to wait a while for it but I’m sure it’s going to be worth the wait.
I do hope all the DLC is included :)

KingKjellboy 20 August, 2013 @ 8:37 pm   13

Sony, Gearbox, 2k and Iron Galaxy Studios, I thank you for bringing this masterpiece to the PS Vita. My dream of sitting on the toilet and thinking of usen Handsome Jack as toilet paper has come to a reality. Again, thank you. I may never leave the toilet once the game has been released.

BabkaTapka 20 August, 2013 @ 8:37 pm   14

Very good news. Thanks Gearbox, Iron Galaxy Studios and Sony. I hope this will be a good quality port.

Stonesthrow 20 August, 2013 @ 8:37 pm   15

Cool if you don’t own it yet but no way I’m getting it again just to play portable. Getting a free downloadable version of this if you own the ps3 version of it would be boss, but will never happen to non exclusives.

KylieDog 20 August, 2013 @ 8:49 pm   16

Is the DLC included, because paying full price for a really late port seems a waste of money.

TagoMago 20 August, 2013 @ 8:51 pm   17

sold!

Chanandler 20 August, 2013 @ 8:55 pm   18

No way, that’s an awesome announcement. Between this and killzone, my vita is going to be worn out with over-use!

Easily best news of the press conference to me.
Can’t wait to see more.
Really hoping dlc released so far will be included too though.
I dont see the justification in doing it.
Really hoping this will push more developers to do things like this.

Mardolina 20 August, 2013 @ 10:05 pm   20

The only game that got me interested (although I have played all the dlcs). Hopefully the price for the game will be somewhere close to the Soul Sacrifice or Killzone pre-order one. Also, I get it paying for the game – but the DLCs again? If that’s the case I’ll buy only the base game and since it’s labeled Borderlands 2 I hope it’s the same game.

Chaosprower 20 August, 2013 @ 10:14 pm   21

@KylieDog Seeing as the post says it has four classes, it doesn’t look like it.

Vita is just getting late ports and indie games that take forever for SCEE to release. Where are the first-party titles? Sony may as well delay Tearaway until 2015 so we at least have something to look forward to.

iamthelloyd 20 August, 2013 @ 10:25 pm   22

Did i watch a completely different show?

So many negative posts about the Vita’s “lack” of titles… Hello, has anyone bothered to look at Shahid Ahmad’s post of the PS4/PSV and PS4/PS3/PSV games coming up?

What is it with this ridiculous mentality that ‘indie’ is somehow inferior to ‘AAA’?

I’ve had more fun playing Guacamelee on Vita in the last week, than [dare i say it] Bioshock Infinite on PS3 (currently, it might pick up who knows).

Then there’s Remote Play with PS4 titles(in most cases that DON’T already use the Eye/Camera).

AND it’s getting a price cut AND the memory cards are too… It’s win/win.. The user base will now increase – thanks to the Indie scene as well as the price point – and by next year we might be getting more regular ‘AAA’ titles.

I must be getting old but some folk can be really ungrateful.

Borderlands 2….. Brilliant news for me… I just hope we only have to pay for the game again (even better if we don’t via cross-buy). In all honesty, already bought DLC i expect to transfer to the Vita version at no extra charge.

dapaintrain99 21 August, 2013 @ 1:37 am   23

Woohoo i havnt played this yet and i am looking to buy a Vita in the near future i tihnk i will pick this up at the same time.

Unicronic 21 August, 2013 @ 4:19 am   24

Sony, you’ve messed up Resistance and Call Of Duty on Vita. Don’t get three strikes.

So when Borderlands 3 comes out we can play it remote on Vita. So now there is first Borderlands 2. September 2012 is came to the PS3 and now on Vita, what does it add and why isn’t it a remote play title as we promised all PS3 titles would be when we bought one?

monoliet 21 August, 2013 @ 6:13 am   26

Stonesthrow 15@
totaly agry whith u

NoobBlast 21 August, 2013 @ 12:37 pm   27

Sony promised that GamesConn was THE show for VITA, but it was a lie.
The future for VITA is almost as dull now, than before Gamesconn.

Who bought VITA to play Indie games which also works on a 15 year old Gameboy Advance?
VITA is way too powerful to only get low powered games. What the point of powerful hardware, when its not used?

Borderlands 2 is a surprise, but i finished it already on 360 with all DLC.
Borderlands 2 is a very good portable game, if the port is good.