Posted 5:02pm

Broken Sword – The Serpent’s Curse coming soon to PS Vita

Screen Shot 2013-08-21 at 12.53.50 PM

Broken Sword – the Serpent’s Curse starts with intrepid lawyer, George Stobbart, and sassy journalist, Nico Collard, caught in the deadly robbery of a seemingly worthless paining. But we, the audience, also see a scene from the Second World War in which Spanish fascists storm a Catalan villa, killing the family and seizing that same painting. As George and Nico are drawn into the murderous conspiracy, those around them claim that the painting is cursed by the devil himself. George and Nico soon come to believe that they may just be right.

Broken Sword – the Serpent’s Curse is very much an adventure – traditional in terms of its core spirit, but wholly contemporary in terms of graphics and gameplay. The game was first announced as part of a Kickstarter appeal in August 2012 and, after attracting over 15,000 backers, doubled its goal. We were thrilled at the response of fans – particularly after hearing so often that the adventure game had died as a genre.

As well as funding a major part of the development, the appeal brought together a wonderful community of Broken Sword fans – epitomised by the Order of the Goat, a fan-created group that is named after a particularly fiendish puzzle that I designed for the first Broken Sword game.

Intro - carG spraying Laine gameplay

The idea for Broken Sword was actually conceived back in 1993. Noirin Carmody, our Commercial Director, and I were having dinner with Sean Brennan, then deputy Managing Director of Virgin Interactive Entertainment.

We were close to finishing Beneath a Steel Sky and were talking about what should come next. He recommended that I read Umberto Eco’s Fucault’s Pendulum which uses Knights Templar mythology as its backstory. I started researching and discovered that the Knights Templar could offer a wonderfully rich puzzle environment.

Back then, very few people had even heard of the Order: this was many years before Dan Brown had written Da Vinci Code (some of our fans like to point out some remarkable similarities between our story and his). And so, over a fine bottle of claret, the seeds of what would become Broken Sword were sewn.

Intro - escapeIntro - family

The first Broken Sword, Broken Sword – Shadow of the Templars was released in 1996. The original PlayStation had launched the year before and we approached Sony and pitched the game – they agreed to publish and the game went on to be a huge success on their platform. The second Broken Sword was then published on PlayStation (and was voted the 5th best PlayStation game ever by the readers of Official PlayStation Magazine), the third Broken Sword on PlayStation 2 (and was nominated for three BAFTA awards).

G Vera_Security_Alley gameplayIntro - Geroge_Nico

So now we are thrilled to continue our relationship with Sony and are delighted to be able to announce that we will be publishing Broken Sword – the Serpent’s Curse (the fifth game in the series) on PlayStation Vita. The PS Vita is an ideal device for an adventure game – the combination of the front and rear touch screen, as well as the analogue stick and shoulder buttons, gives us so much scope to create a really great user interface.

The adventure continues.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

pressmyfoot 22 August, 2013 @ 5:13 pm   1

Lovely.

Enjoying the first Broken Sword on my tablet right now.

pmf (soken broad)

i would love the originals to be out on ps3 or vita but i know that due to how the original assets were done its simply not possible which is a shame.

but this title is one for me anyway, loved these games along with discworld and monkey island

I love point and click adventure games and I love the Broken Sword series. I played only the first 2 and hope your other adventures will make it to the PlayStation platforms. Is there a chance we also will see this adventure on the big screen? I’m sure it’ll look gorgeous on the vita screen but your artwork would look stunning in 1080p on my large tv screen.
Also will the price be at the same price point as the same games on ios or pc?

As a proud Kickstarter backer I’m thrilled this is coming to a PlayStation platform too.

I loved Beneath A Steel Sky for Amiga but didn’t realise (I was young, forgive me) when I started up the demo for the original Broken Sword on the Official PlayStation Magazine demo CD, I was playing another Revolution game.

I hope the game is profitable and then you’ll consider a 1080p PS4 version with touchpad and PS Move pointer control.

Today’s trailer looks great too, by the way. Some of the character designs work better than others with that style but nothing too offputting.

THE_FORCE 22 August, 2013 @ 5:29 pm   5

Been waiting for this for ages, and was going to get it for the iPad as it is one of the only genres that is ideally suited to the platform, but will likely get it for the Vita instead now.

Iconic series Charles. BIG respect. ;)

Just to add to what I said previously about PS4 controls, according to Shuhei Yoshida on twitter, the PS4 on-screen keyboard demo at the beginning of the Gamescom press conference was using DUALSHOCK 4 gyro input for cursor control. If it’s comfortable for fullscreen cursor control, that’s obviously something everyone can use as opposed to PS Move.

No, not even this will convince me to buy a Vita, despite being an installment of series (Myst and Discworld would be welcome also) I’ve been hoping would make an appearance on PS3 since Director’s Cut was announced.

brianmini 22 August, 2013 @ 5:44 pm   8

So is this game like a re-imagined original SCUMM type game? Beautiful screen with a click and interact gameplay?

If it is i’ll be buying it to support the Dev, especially if it leads to other games like say a new Sam and Max type game.

TheBigBoss0001 22 August, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   9

You guys are awesome, keep up the good work and thanks for bringing Broken Sword back.

Here’s the Gamescom trailer released today: http://youtu.be/3jQu1riTcYg

And it was actually the OPM UK Broken Sword 2 demo that got me hooked on the series. Drop the dog, smoke out the baked bean man, steal his coal!

andrewsqual 22 August, 2013 @ 6:06 pm   12

Hi Charles, backer andrewsqual here. Thank you so much for bringing us a new Broken Sword game. It will be so awesome to play ^_^
I know you will get this a lot but is there a chance of bringing it to PS4 in the future too since you won’t have to go to a publisher or any nonsense like that ;)
Can’t wait to play this later in the year.

This must be the best reveal at gamescom so far. I have played Broken Sword 1 and 2 many times. Love the artstyle and adventure feeling.
Definitely day 1 purchase for me.
Trailer said winter 2013, does this apply for Vita too?

Osahi_be 22 August, 2013 @ 6:29 pm   14

Wow. This is AWE-wait for it-SOME news. Broken Sword 2 was one of my first PSone games. When I was 11 the puzzles were a bit hard, so I finished it completely with a walktrough. But nonetheless I enjoyed every single morsel of it. I catched up the first one on Nintendo DS years later, and finished that one without walktrough cheating :D

This rockets straight to the second place my most wanted on PSVita list, just after Tearaway (demo was amazing on Gamescom)

Excellent! Can’t wait to play this on my Vita! Well done guys!

mitch_uk_psn 22 August, 2013 @ 7:05 pm   16

Excellent news. As you said in blog post SCEE published the first two games on PS1, alongside your other forgotten gem In Cold Blood. Is there any chance these PS1 classics could be republished on PSN for the PS3, PSP and PSVita stores?

Sarajevo89 22 August, 2013 @ 7:14 pm   17

Oh,come on,why wouldn’t you publish on PS3 or PS4? Please,please,I’m a huge fan dating back to PSOne days,I don’t have Vita but I want to play this.

Psicojacorral 22 August, 2013 @ 7:32 pm   18

Amazing news, I paid on kickstarter for this to happen! And I would love to see the ps1 classics republished on PSN too!

ashton_philip 22 August, 2013 @ 8:54 pm   19

I backed this and although I will be getting a PC copy, I think I will be picking it up for PSV as my system of choice and also because I want to contribute to the game being a success on the PSV as well. Really glad Revolution has decided to develop for PSV. Will it launch day and date with the other versions though!

Loved the Broken Sword games. This is great news.

So much to look forward to!

Kirk_Enterprise 23 August, 2013 @ 4:44 am   22

This sound great! Ps Vita is alive :)

Excellent news!! A day one purchase for me :) !

HastaAdam 23 August, 2013 @ 9:33 am   24

And you can bring the other games of Broken Sword. Maybe Complete Edition?

@HastaAdam

i read something about the original games not being able to be given a hd remake due to how the original animation was done or something like that, they basically said they would love to but cant.

best bet would be getting 1 and 2 on pc or ps1 if you can find them.

I was gutted this wasn’t coming to PS3 or PS4 so this is great news – can’t wait!

Urouborous 23 August, 2013 @ 11:29 am   27

Damn Good News! How Vita version looks according to attached screenshots? Is this a Vita game look? Awesome ^_^

Acquiescence 23 August, 2013 @ 11:47 am   28

My introduction to Broken Sword was a Playstation demo for the first game on a compilation disc, back in ’96. I was 10 years old and most of the jokes went over my head, but I was smitten by the hand-drawn art style and likeable characters, and haven’t looked back since. I adore the Broken Sword series, so it’s terrific to see a resurgence of the point & click adventure genre and also to see Revolution returning to a Sony console once again.

Thank you Charles – can’t wait to play this.

enslavetheweak 23 August, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   29

Will definitely buy this one!

Tonito2102 25 August, 2013 @ 1:45 pm   30

From the comments above i understand the original Broken Swords can’t be given an HD makeover but i have played the Ipad versions and they look just fine, surely they would be suitable for Vita straight ports?

I’d buy them anyways.
Really looking forward to this one!!

NoFX_Caz 27 August, 2013 @ 8:06 pm   31

I have always been a traditionalist and have actually never played a Broken Sword game on a Sony Console, I have always played them on PC (and still enjoy playing all of them) but I will certainly be purchasing this for the vita on day one!