Posted 3:30pm

Weekend Debate: The strangest place you’ve played your PSP/PS Vita (update)

The Weekend Debate

UPDATE: Thanks for your input this week everyone. Some eyebrow-raising locations, to be sure! The following posters snag themselves a copy of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for PS3: TroubleMaker411, KRadiation, bookofcomic2, xXMop-a-topXx and johnnycide. Congratulations. We’ll get in touch via a PM to your ID on the official forums in the next 24 hours or so.

ORIGINAL POST: If you’re anything like me, you’ll be putting some time aside this weekend to get to grips with Guerrilla Cambridge’s very impressive PS Vita FPS Killzone Mercenary. I’ve been fortunate enough to have had a copy for a couple of days now, but just haven’t found much time to get properly stuck in yet.

Which brings me to this week’s debate topic. In an effort to get some time with the game, I’ve found myself grabbing some unusual opportunities to yank out my PS Vita. The food hall in the London Oxford Street branch of Marks & Spencer proved a pretty good spot for some on-the-fly gaming yesterday; standing up on a packed rush hour tube train – not so much.

So, please let us know the most unusual spot in which you’ve booted up your PS Vita or PSP, and why you were driven to such desperate measures.

The five most entertaining posters win themselves a copy of The Bureau: XCOM Declassified for PS3, courtesy of our good friends at 2K. Good luck!

Terms and conditions

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

132 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

when i was 15 i flew to America from the UK on my own, i was interrogated by border control, being bored whilst they reviewed my case, i played locoroco on my psp

In an Old patients ward, lying on a bed after having major bowel re-section. There was about 7 other over 70′s there and me. A young, 25 year gamer lying in bed playing my Vita.

I Bet they could not comprehend the awesome power i held in my hand and why i was so enthralled in playing it.

Uncharted Golden Abyss kept me well entertained that week!

liquid_vemon26 6 September, 2013 @ 5:15 pm   3

playing a copy of the class. game that is killzone on the ps vita…I found myself sat on the toilet during some bad turbulence on a flight from Manchester to Sanford airport in florida…fun times shooting people bad times experiencing bad turbulence. :-(

I once stayed at abandoned old building over night, so athmosphere would be right while playing Corpse Party. ;)

Showing friends the PSP when it first came out, We met up on the roof of our old primary school with a crate of beer. Great times.

The weirdest place I’ve ever played a PSP or Vita would have to be when I was on the bus going home from town… It’s by no means a long journey, but really wanted to do something – normally I’d have a book or iPod or something, but had left those at home and after looking through my bag found the Vita…

So, like anyone would do in that situation (Okay, that’s probably not true), I got the Vita out of my bag, untangled my pair of headphones and sat and played it (Project Diva f, for those interested. Was good to hear the PS3 version was getting localised, and some of the DLC too, it seems. Still have yet to pick it up, due to owning the Japanese releases of both the Vita and PS3 versions, and it being download only, but will be picking it up in the future!)

Needless to say, it made the time fly(this’d work better if it was a plane I was talking about, but I don’t think there’s a good bus-related alternative), and I didn’t end up missing my stop. Cut it pretty darn close, though.

Vannaa_Girl 6 September, 2013 @ 5:19 pm   7

Not so much my Vita
But when monster hunter freedom unite came out for psp i was totally (still) hooked and, my beauty tech asked me if i had something to take my mind off what was going to happen for the next 30 mins and ended up trying to play a battle while having a Brazilian

It kept my mind off what was going on really well

Apooogies for too much infos for the señors :p

wonderking 6 September, 2013 @ 5:20 pm   8

i went to italy with some friends and we were in florence, it was a group of us playing frobisher says, passing my vita around to each other in a small restaurant. the locals were giving us weird looks. it was a very poor part of the city. they probably have never seen such technology

On top of a mountain. After an exhausting trek I needed a break for a while before heading back

In the delivery suit at local hospital why my daughter was being born i managed to start lbp vita an fish it before she arrived :)

TroubleMaker411 6 September, 2013 @ 5:25 pm   11

I’m not sure it counts as particularly unusual, but 6 weeks ago, my vita kept me sane in the 60 hours that I was with the wife in hospital waiting for our baby daughter to be born.

Ploughing through missions on Unit 13, guiding Aveline through NO in Liberation, and the occasional Vs game of Hustle Kings with the wife made the insane waiting game, more of an actual game.

Years ago my parents took me during summer vacation to the Swiss Alps for a hiking vacation. They wanted to take the gondola’s up to the mountains and then walk down but I’m afraid of heights so they made sure I had my PSP with me and was focused enough playing and that took me trough the ride up the mountains.

supersmith2500 6 September, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   13

Usually during break times at college to calm my myself and to entertain myself abit, I usually play on some nice indie games such as Retro City Rampage and Thomas Was Alone and heck even Velocity Ultra because I thought they are short games and they load very quick and are ideal for killing some time for me.

Carnivius_Prime 6 September, 2013 @ 5:30 pm   14

Cambridge Railway station’s men’s toilets (I suppose the women’s toilets would be stranger).

Was a few years ago waiting for a train I realised I had sudden case of diarrhea (or however the heck you spell it) likely from that dodgy sandwich I had a couple hours earlier). Had my PSP with me and Street Fighter Alpha 3 MAX did it’s best to keep my mind off the pain as I sat on that toilet seat (cos distracting yourself reeeally helps with all that). Somehow it made kicking the butts of Akuma, Bison and co a little more satisfying than normal… Not sure why.

Why am I sharing this information?

It may not be as exotic as some other places, but for me it was the most unordinarry place to play. It was on my uncles wedding. I somehow slept through the initial ceremony, but when the actual “party” started, I had nothing else to do. There was no one of my age and everyone was dancing or talking with someone else. That little device saved me there :) Oh, and by the way, I had birthday on that day too, so I was double upset, because I had to cancel everything I had planed to do with my friends. Now you should be able to imagine my mood on that wedding. So yes, handhelds are real life-savers :D

pressmyfoot 6 September, 2013 @ 5:35 pm   16

Played Mercury on the psp during a motion-capture shoot calibration. Sitting there in a rather fetching lycra unitard, covered in white dots playing a psp.

pmf (it was almost kinky)

On a smoking volcano on Maui and then later, in the “Others” camp from Lost on neighbouring Oahu.

dark_angel69 6 September, 2013 @ 5:39 pm   18

I don’t really have a strange place at all. Love my Vita too much to risk having it broken or even stolen so I just play mine in a safe place somewhere alone like home.

Well if you want to count going to work two days after getting the Vita and sitting in the car playing a few games for 20 minutes or so before going in, then that’s the closest I have to a strange place. There is always someone inside watching out the windows so pretended to be looking for important papers and information and things like that when I was actually playing Uncharted. Nearly done that again today with Killzone only was running late.

GrytEcHoG 6 September, 2013 @ 5:40 pm   19

I’ve been playing with my Vita in one of the strangest places of the universe”PLANET EARTH” which is very different from every other place we can see in the universe because earth has diversity.

The most unusual spot where I used my PS Vita was in a date with my girlfriend. We discovered that she was a fan of Monster Hunter and wanted to play with me but she was using a Nintendo 3DS and she was angry for that but then I suddenly turned my PS Vita on, launched the Metal Gear Solid Peace Walker, went to special missions and selected the Rathalos mission. We made a bet on who’d take down a Rathalos faster. I can’t write here what did we do after that or who won but I’ll just say that both where really happy after that night of hunting.

Well, this isn’t a strange place to me … but might be for others.

I love to play games with my PS VITA while I’m having a hot bath !

I know … the VITA isn’t waterproof … I like to live dangerously! lol

Sorry I forgot about the place, was in her house. Didn’t expect to use it there.

jehuty_2174 6 September, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   23

This just happened two months ago. Believe it or not on the border from Ghana to Burkina Faso, Which is practically the outskirts of the Sahara Desert. Old Land Cruiser overheated. So we parked under a tree. Refilled some water and let the whole engine cool of.
Mom was arguing with the driver and I just whipped out the vita for some Soul sacrifice. could barely see anything on the screen with the sun intensity , even under the tree.

Alex-1124 6 September, 2013 @ 5:51 pm   24

I used to go to the gym fairly regularly with a mate, one week I wasn’t feeling like a workout but I still went along to give my friend a bit of moral support just by being there. I took my PSP which had MGS:PW UMD in it at the time and sat near the refreshment area because it was the only place I could sit down and not be in the way.

So I’m sitting there playing my PSP and this bold sweaty guy came over to the refreshment bar and got a drink, he decided to sit next to me and ask what I was playng and what was going on, while I was telling him what was going on, he decided to take his vest off, I felt extremely embarrassed because a 50 year old bold dude who was sweating, now with no top on was leaning towards me watching me play a game on a small screen. It was the most unbelievably awkward 5 minutes of my life and I swore to never take a gaming device to another place like that ever again!

I busted out my PSP while waiting in the line to see more Infamous: Second Son stuff at PAX this past weekend. Which isn’t so much a “weird” thing as much as it is a “this is 2013 and you’re still playing games on your PSP” thing.

What can I say, I love my PSP.

dogwalker4000 6 September, 2013 @ 5:54 pm   26

I regularly play my Vita in the bath. Spend about 5 mins having a wash and like 45 mins on portable lil love box.

good few years ago i was dragged off to a pink concert with my wife and here friends, at the time i had no mp3 player so loaded the psp with mp3′s for the ride there.

when i got to the show it was dire :( so i left my wife with her mates and made way off to the side of the bar and whipped out my psp and started to grind on disgaea until the end of the show.

i was prob getting some funny looks but i never noticed i just switched off and played the game.

Carnivius_Prime 6 September, 2013 @ 5:58 pm   28

@27
I only glanced at your post at first and I briefly thought “wait, you whipped out what? Grinding on who? When your wife was where?”

I’ve played it in the cleaning cupboard at work, the toilet at work and at the top of mount Snowdon!
I have a pic of me on it up the mountain I’ll post it soon!

It wasn’t MY psp/vita but,

Last February at the top of kilimanjaro. A group of us went there as part of a charity event. Unfortunately most of the group failed to make it to the peak and when the remaining 5 of us eventually got there, We quickly realised none of us had a camera as they were with the rest of the group making their way back down.

We frantically emptied our backpacks on the off chance, but then our local guide pulled out his PSP vita and said we could use that.

Crazy

runarwigen 6 September, 2013 @ 6:05 pm   31

Used my Vita help me stay awake while watching over sick kids who were infected with a stomach virus making them throw up every 30 minutes of the night.

I like to play it at work. I sit inside the cnc machine pretending to program a job while having a quick battle on persona 4 golden. It was a bit awkward when the boss walked in but I managed to quickly hide my vita

ChristopherGore 6 September, 2013 @ 6:10 pm   33

For me it would have to be while walking through border control in Rome. The guy behind the screen seemed a lot more interested in what I was playing. Rather than my passport.

That game I was playing happened to be Metal Gear Solid 3, I wasn’t turning it off as I was well into the cut scene where big boss hands snake his ass and throws him off the bridge. The border guy seemed impressed with it lol

billyblue51 6 September, 2013 @ 6:11 pm   34

fab reading the comments cheers

KRadiation 6 September, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   35

I accidentally locked myself in the toilets at a house party celebrating the end of the uni year. I slid the bolt across to lock the door and the part I gripped snapped off in my hand. I shouted and stomped and banged but the music drowned me out. After 30 mins I gave up thinking someone will need the loo soon and ill be out so I sat down and played on the vita.
I was still there almost 4 hours later when the party and music stopped and my shouts could finally be heard.

Thank god I had my vita!

Well. I bet Senator McCain has played his Vita at an important summit meeting, mid-way through his poker sessions!

But for me, nothing that exciting. I recently took a trip to Fuerteventura (Canary Islands) and took my trusty Vita (With LBP) for company. Took it to the beach one day, and strayed a little further than anticipated. Now the beach doesn’t have a “tide” so I knew I wasn’t in danger if I nodded off, but the chance of theft didn’t occur to me until I got there.

So I’m topping up my tan – playing the Vita – when I decide to go for a stroll in the sea. So I’m stood in the Atlantic whilst playing one of the wonderful arcade games LBP has to offer (IN THE SEA!) when I look up, and notice I’d strayed into a part of the beach my wife hates me for going to haha.

Bosom’s everywhere. And not a single piece of clothing to be found. Even now I plead my innocence – the wife doesn’t believe it was an accident.

Jestersoil 6 September, 2013 @ 6:13 pm   37

while serving in the army, spent a lot of my free time under the bed playing worms on psp on local coop with others xD

iPhone-mikee 6 September, 2013 @ 6:16 pm   38

Ok, I’ll admit to it. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

Strangest place I’ve played is whilst on the toilet. Peace and quiet and you don’t get hassled by the girlfriend for ignoring her whist playing and she’s trying to ask you something.

Stonesthrow 6 September, 2013 @ 6:17 pm   39

I don’t get out much and my ps portable is my precious, so I wouldn’t take it too many places. So I’m gonna go with an obvious answer : the toilet. Either reading ps magazines or playing vita on there, always making sure the hands are clean ofcourse :p

My story isn’t so much about where we played PSP, but the manner of it. We were on a family holiday in France, with another 3 families we knew from home. A few of us had PSPs along with whatever the latest FIFA game was out on them. Each family had a car, but sometimes we’d all visit the same places. I seem to remember PSP having wlan for local multiplayer, so me and a friend from another family decided we’d try and play a game of FIFA between cars, starting in the car park when we knew we’d manage a connection. Needless to say it was a minor disaster, but I think we managed a few minutes of uninterrupted gameplay from time to time.

my_son_roo 6 September, 2013 @ 6:19 pm   41

Lying on a bed playing Loco Roco waiting for the anaesthetist prior to my vasectomy! Too much information???

Skateboard_G_82 6 September, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   42

While on holiday in Mexico and travelling on the coach on way to the the Chichen Itza ruins I fired up Uncharted Golden Abyss for the first time on my new PS Vita. Was awesome searching the jungle ruins and to be doing it in real life a few minutes later. An experience you can only get with PS Vita portable gaming and one of my favourite ever gaming moments.

Stonesthrow 6 September, 2013 @ 6:20 pm   43

@41 Slightly :p

Final fantasy crisis core, my friend had already beat it and said that the ending was one of the best in history. When I was at the ending I was playing it in high school. I hided my self in the janitor’s closet under some mops and towels. The thing is there is also a bathroom in it. The janitor used it when he got out he was still doing his belt. I as crying because the ending was so sad. When I left the closet a teacher noticed me. She saw me tearing up and she saw the janitor doing his belt. So she tought he did something to me. It took me hours to explain that I was crying because of the game. Finaly they believed me.

Under my covers at night. Its like a mini movie theater that way.

silmorat1 6 September, 2013 @ 6:28 pm   46

Playing Zen pinball 2 whilst looking after my boys at the local play gym, so while they were having big fun in the ball pit, I was having my fun playing the iron man table.

edwardo_garza 6 September, 2013 @ 7:00 pm   47

I was playing my vita at a cemetery while walking and I guess I was to caught up in the game that I didn’t see the open grave site standing in front of me where I ended falling in for like 2 hours until my phone got signal

minimur12 6 September, 2013 @ 7:14 pm   48

Man, all of these are so much more interesting than mine!

Stragest place would be…. ermm…. I was at the gym. I was doing a leg press and had my Vita out :D

Digidevil4 6 September, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   49

Whilst taking a train out of London I was forced into sitting on the floor right in-front of one of the doors whilst 2-3 more people where stood around and leaning over me. In my discomfort I decided to make make some space for myself by booting up my vita and playing Fireworks. As you might expect people began to notice me rapidly shaking and moving the device around, shortly after the area I was sat in grew larger.

RedMustang72 6 September, 2013 @ 7:20 pm   50

Might not be the strangest place, but a snowy traffic jam. Co-op Monster Hunter with my son while we sat for about an hour and a half. While the motoring world around us was enraged all you could hear was hunter speak and monster roars from our car. It was pretty funny and a good memory for us both…but how we were jealous of the hot drinks in our inventories! :)

In the toiletroom, since the release of the psp and now vita, playing till the battery is empty .
Toiletsessions of a hour are common in my residence

bookofcomic2 6 September, 2013 @ 7:51 pm   52

A couple of years ago i was on location as an extra getting makeup done to turn me into a football hooligan zombie the location was a church and i had my psp out playing god of war chains of olympus for the zombification process. Great day great game the film was called cockneys vs zombies and i got alot of gaming done that day between tales and scaring the hell out of the school kids walking past in east london.

toxic-inferno 6 September, 2013 @ 8:14 pm   53

Strangest place I’ve ever played my PS Vita is in the living room of someone else’s house where I am staying while I wait for the purchase of my new house to be finalised. The family whose house it is are currently on holiday. Not very strange you may ask? Well, I only bought my PS Vita a couple of hours ago, and so don’t really have many games yet!

But the strangest place I’ve ever played my PSP? Well, probably on a cliff-top, overlooking a beach a couple of summers ago. It was a beautifully sunny day, and the sand looked amazing, and I was about to take a photograph using my new PSP Camera, when I got oddly sidetracked, and ended up on LocoRoco for a couple of hours. Not sure what people must have thought, but I didn’t much care! I was happy, and at the end of the day, I didn’t have as much trouble washing the sand out from between my toes as the rest of my family…

doomsday619 6 September, 2013 @ 8:27 pm   54

I took my Vita to my aunties wedding so i could take pictures…..It just so happened i left Uncharted in the console so at the reception i got bored and so i played it my new uncle spent quite some time watching and having a go too which didn’t go down too well with my auntie.
But on the plus side it got Sony 2 more sales as my new uncle and his brother brought themselves a Vita a week later with a copy of Uncharted :)

DecypherSlo 6 September, 2013 @ 8:29 pm   55

Spent 45 minutes in a primary school bathroom, locked in a stall, playing Monster Hunter: Freedom 2 on my brand new PSP slim…. I just didn’t feel like going to class that hour :D

RX-RAKAN-XR 6 September, 2013 @ 8:36 pm   56

At school, and at hospital waiting to go visit a relative! :)

For me has to be on our holiday in 2009, was playing locoroco next to the Ardnamurchan lifehouse in the highlands of Scotland. I was not very interested in going out in the freezing cold winds that were hitting the coast that day, however when i did eventually get up off my lazy ass and out of the car i dropped my psp in its case on the floor next to the car. I did not realise this till i was halfway back to our holiday home, we turned back and thankfully it was still there if a little cold, phew what a relief will never make the same mistake with my shiny new ps vita.

I don’t remember any strange place where I played games on psp (vita is younger console and I don’t have as much time with it as I may like it).
But one thing that come to mind was during my studies. If I remember correctly it was midterm test, I finished early (like 30 minutes before the end of time) and asked if I may go home. Teacher said that I can’t leave class, but if I want I can change a seat and do whatever I like but I need to stay quiet.
I did as I were told, first I tried to read a book but after two pages I swapped a book with PSP, earphones and Jeanne d’Arc UMD.

Moral from this story is quite simple : if you want to play games, you need to learn first. (I scored A on this test, it’s score 5 if you live in Poland)

jamescoghlan 6 September, 2013 @ 8:59 pm   59

Probably in Starbucks , I played killzone beta because they had WiFi.

xX_HOJAT_Xx 6 September, 2013 @ 9:13 pm   60

I am usually playing VITA everyday every hour everywhere , mainly because I have to be at my Dad’s office after school , and there aren’t much entertainment in a Taxi Hiring office.
I am always playing VITA sitting next to my Dad , while he’s answering phone calls saying usual stuff like:”where to? , I just sent a driver, or yes madam our cars have active air conditioners.”
There are some rules too , like I have not to answer any calls. Anyways, he works hard for our tiny family but I think he barely feels my presence.
But for your question, the night that my mother left us , and my Dad went out without telling me where he is headed, and I was left at home alone, I played VITA all that night . Even when my Dad came back about 4 o’clock in the morning, and he entered my room to check on me, and I pretended that I’m asleep, I was playing. I didn’t know why I played all that night, but I know now that I played because I wanted to forget.

DestructorSVK 6 September, 2013 @ 9:24 pm   61

Well, i’ve got amazing memory playing Lumines 2 while i was sitting at the Trevi Fountain, back in 2009.. Maybe it’s not strange but still it’s my best memory from italy…

visiting universal studios in Florida, while queuing for the jaws ride I was playing uultimate ghosts and goblins and kept it on during ride aswell.

loonyspoony 6 September, 2013 @ 9:54 pm   63

Was in Bluewater shopping centre, got stuck in a lift for 20mins on my own. Played a bit of Fifa football while I was waiting and was quite disappointed when the lift started working again, it was really peaceful in there one of the nicest places to play with really good acoustics.

It’s been some years, it was during a winter vacation in Austria. We were on a trip and got trapped by snow, blocking the only path out of the valley. So while we waited for someone arrange our “escape”, we had nothing to do for some hours.
And the group of trapped people consisted some Chinese and Russians, only few spoke either German or English. But soon enough we discovered that at least 4 of us had something in common … gaming goes beyond all barriers. :)

XboxDave360 6 September, 2013 @ 10:17 pm   65

Playing at my mother in laws kitchen as she was having a go at me for not doing something I quite can’t remember now but I was in my happy place playing fifa13 on my vita!

andrusenko1996 6 September, 2013 @ 10:42 pm   66

My home, while using PS3 and PS Vita to play LBP2 it was weird. Its just not normal to play on one screen and change to another every 5 minutes.

Well i only got my vita less than a week ago(and i am absolutely amazed) but so far the weirdest place ive played it was in the bath. i have been playing uncharted golden abyss but i ended up getting sick with a horribly bad fever but i only had the one trophy left for the platinum(Play on crushing difficulty) and i wasnt able to play my vita while sick because my head hurt to much so i made a bath for that momentary relief and decided that was the perfect time to quickly try and finish the platinum.
the lengths i go to to play my vita..

End of a work meeting.

Got two more to buy a vita and KZ, so now we play together.

agentfortune 6 September, 2013 @ 11:44 pm   69

i played my Vita while waiting to tee off at The Belfry. Playing Gravity Rush helps you get your head around some bizarre angles, perfect for a golf warm up!

Years ago I was travelling back to Sweden after being in Denmark for a while, and I was walking in this very long line into the ferry and I was playing on the PSP, and then on the ferry trip and then while walking out of the ferry to the car which had been parked there for a few days. Non-stop gaming :P

geraint09 7 September, 2013 @ 1:22 am   71

In the cinema due to the film being utter tripe.Playing FFT with my headphones in was much more entertaining

THE_FORCE 7 September, 2013 @ 1:41 am   72

I’ve played my PSPGo on a khazi in the Whitehouse, and also on the royal porcelain in Buckingham Palace.

xXMop-a-topXx 7 September, 2013 @ 2:19 am   73

The strangest place I played my PSP was at a camp in the Nepalese Himalayas. While preparing for he trip we were told that we should take something to entertain us as we would be travelling on a bus sometimes for an entire day to get places. We were also recommended to bring photos to show our guides as they loved learning about the U.K . So I stocked my SD and full of photos and bought extra PSP batteries so I wouldn’t run out. Some of the guides loved it and one in particular I played a lot of Loco-Roco with. The guides were surprised that I knew quite a bit about Nepal, but that was just because I enjoyed Uncharted 2 so much I did more research than i would of otherwise XP

In the hospital waiting for my Mum to get back from surgery. There were a few other people waiting, all elderly, one lady put down her knitting to watch Little Big Planet. We had a great time and she said the time flew while she was waiting for her husband.

THE_FORCE 7 September, 2013 @ 7:36 am   75

@60 HOJAT – that is probably the most moving post I’ve ever read on the blog. It almost made my bottom lip go. You should become a writer young man. :)

Lexingtongue 7 September, 2013 @ 9:06 am   76

As a tourist in North Korea. Beat that.

I also unlocked the gold trophy for clearing the board of jewels in Montezuma Blitz on Vita in, of all the places, a toilet cubicle of a packed airplane. No doubt the travellers nearest the WC were rather surprised by my whoops and cheers of joy. Left the cubicle ten minutes later feeling pretty foolish, but, hey ho, it had took me a long time to unlock that bad boy and I was unable to conceal my excitement and joy. ;-)

Panzerdragoon7 7 September, 2013 @ 9:36 am   77

Hmmm. I would say, the toilet. Cant seem to put the vita down in the middle of a mission in mercenary or a pact in soul sacrifice.

sandystrachan 7 September, 2013 @ 10:05 am   78

Before we had broadband @ home i’d go to work 40 minutes early to use theirs so i could play some marvel heroes on psp .
I’d skip teabreaks and lunch breaks to play it too , whenever production stopped @ work I’d load it up too .
There was a game that would allow me & a friend to do some co-op / two player stuff think we needed a cable or something .
we’d sometimes do that @ work & we knew a place we could go & sit on top the castles wynd tower ( wine cellar ) 50ft drop to the jagged rock & the ocean if we fell .

I once played my vita on a reclined chair, in a bright room with a bright light directly overhead, with the dentist doing his stuff in my mouth. I usually don’t, but this one would speak to me all the while he was treating me, and expecting an answer from someone who had his mouth wide open and full. Since I couldn’t answer and I was getting frustrated, I figured I wasn’t as rude as him if I was playing some Escape Plan. Well, I escaped him, the pain, and Bakuki’s Lair while I was at it.
Never booted up Escape Plan afterwards, though. I guess I’m waiting for my next appointment.

Well as I don’t own a PSP or Vita I have to borrow my brothers at anytime he can spare it. This usually leads to impromptu playing times. Mainly in the back of the car or late at night when i can’t sleep. Though I have to admit i have played when I was meant to be writing my A level coursework (awkward). It may not have been the most outstanding of places but there is something in playing when there is a chance of being caught.

My friends and I turned up at Madrid train station at 2 AM in the vain hope that it would be open in the early hours of the morning ahead of getting a train to Valencia. Lo and behold, the station was closed. Many would scoff at our weediness but for a bunch of wet behind the ears, middle class Scots, sitting outside in the dark and cold of the Madrid night for hours was a pretty depressing prospect. Could we have wandered around a pretty shady area looking for accommodation? Probably. Instead we sat outside the front door, passing the time with my PSP and a league season on Pro Evolution Soccer. The PSP was passed around each of us, a match per turn. Those not playing partook in a game of A-Z, naming video game characters (I think we got through about 4 rounds!). We were smelly, tired and slightly humiliated, but our night on the streets of Madrid really brought us together and the PSP played a big part in that!

The toilet everyday

PRICEY1995 7 September, 2013 @ 11:32 am   83

This was actually the first day I got my Vita, my friends invited me to go out with them, which yeah tends to involve socialising with them or participating in activities.

Instead, 5 minutes into meeting everyone I pulled my Vita out and started playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss, as the night went on more and more people swarmed around me to actually just watch me play it rather than play football

mellan_Konsten 7 September, 2013 @ 12:18 pm   84

the strangest place where I have played my vita is also my most common. 4 meter from my new gaming PC and maybe 1.5 meters from my Ps3 and my big HD-tv screen. this may sound strange for someone who don’t own a vita but all of you vita-people know exactly what I’m talking about.

how could something ever compete with just pressing one button and flick the screen and you are back in the game.

Hemelskonijn 7 September, 2013 @ 12:38 pm   85

The place might not have been the strangest but the situation we where in definitely was one of the most bizarre ever.

During the G8 protest actions and the morning of our big demonstration our squat an old police section house with less then a hundred sleepy activists got circled by over eight hundred police and TSG units. Their demand was for us to come out and be submitted to a body search and enter detainment for the remaining day (sitting on the knees in the street with hands bound with cable ties behind our backs) while they would search the building and interview each and every one of us.

Hemelskonijn 7 September, 2013 @ 12:38 pm   86

Naturally we demanded a better deal (namely not being detained after being cleared) and this costs time. I was playing my PSP on the roof while i looked at the masses of police gathering and getting ready to raid our building and once they made it on to the roof i went to a nice room inside and continued playing until i got violently dragged out beaten in the neck strapped and brought to the search and holding area where i learned that the dumb morons assumed that with such a big building there must be hundreds of people inside and where there are hundreds of people there must have been discrepancies. There is almost something poetic about playing little big planet and then being blinded by flashlights and hit over the head with said flashlight.

No one got charged eighty six got arrested and detained …

Two years ago on a school trip, we were sent halfway up a mountain to make ice caves, where we were meant to sleep for the night however I had brought my PSP with me and we ended up taking turns on it playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City for about three hours until the cave collapsed in on us causing a sudden rush to get out of the former cave as we all made it out of the cave with our belongings we setup a tent nearby and called it a night. Fond memories but the speakers on my PSP stopped working properly resulting in the purchase of my vita.

My weirdest place was vondelpark /
It was about a year ago, I went clubbing in Amsterdam with my best friend when we decided to go home we found out we were broke so we decided to walk al the way back home through the vondelpark. While walking home my friend said to me do you have your earplugs and psp go with you? I said ofcourse why? He said well don’t you have any movies on it ,cause if you do lets watch while walking? So I turned on the psp go and we both put in 1 earplug , psp in one hand infront. And so we walked home while watching a movie on the psp.( Luckily we didn’t fall or hit anything on the road )

Handige_Harry 7 September, 2013 @ 1:03 pm   89

I think that must have been on a Dixie toilet, people where actually knocking on the door to ask if everything was ok!

NosgothSpirit 7 September, 2013 @ 1:13 pm   90

But most weird place from them all for me was during MAKS 2013 (Russian airshow). On the first day of show the central part of our 6m tall video wall suddenly went offline due commutation port with bad contact (note that this port on height of 1m). In that time our box with spares was not yet arrived, so while my coworker take a 4hr long trip to nearest store (traffic jams) i was able to enter in tech space between video wall and real wall (~0,4m), put the ladder between and while standing on it and pushing commutation by leg so it can make contact and actually work take a loooooong game session of Jax and Daxter )

I played MGS2 HD once when i was swimming in the middle of a lake, we were playing it with a friend but since it was summer and too hot to play inside we put a PS Vita inside a water-proof bag and went for a swim :D was difficult to swim with only your feet though :P

johnnycide 7 September, 2013 @ 1:47 pm   92

I can say this now as I no longer work there: but when I worked for a large, incredibly evil banking corporation I was forced to attend one of those “motivational, empowering” events that they tend to have.

Whilst in the midst of this corporate brainwashing I secured a decent spot at the back of the room, and played Wipeout 2048 and Sine Mora for a couple of hours, while taking advantage of the free coffee and biscuits.

I never learned a thing from that conference. For all I know they could have been staring at me the entire time, but by gosh did I get some nice lap times on Wipeout. The coffee was also pretty good.

PHEEliNUX 7 September, 2013 @ 2:42 pm   93

In a barber/hairdresser

I was sitting there waiting for my turn, I had the PSP(1000 for who is curious) in my pocket so i popped it up, Played a bit of Persona 3 Portable but then i stopped playing because a kid said “Daddy! Buy me that”
I quickly hid the PSP in my pocket and got picked up my iPhone instead and started to play on it, Strangely the kid didn’t notice that it wasn’t the PSP, And he thought it was the same device

At work. I’m a Sales Assistant at a newsagent – so working the tills and helping people out if they need it sort of jazz – and I’m also not talking about playing my Vita at work on my break. Nope. I’m talking straight out playing it at the tills when I should be focused on helping customers.

Although, in my defence, the shop wasn’t busy due to a local event. But still! I’m a rebel :p.

Nathan-DTS 7 September, 2013 @ 4:04 pm   95

The Haunted Mansion ride. Was playing Locoroco, if I remember correctly.

Just last week. I was having a meeting with the central government in Myanmar. All the time playing lbp vita.

Both the psp and the vita have been following me to several strange places but I don’t usually play them on these. The strangest place that I actually played it on would be 7 meters up on a branch of one of the trees next to a mire. Was absolutely absorbed in Crisis Core at the time. So when I ended up there with the psp while walking one thing led to another.

MATKIWI666 7 September, 2013 @ 4:52 pm   98

In my old mans car whilst outside the largest bakery in Saudi Arabia in the middle of a desert sandstorm.

The camels that were floating around the car park were mighty impressed with my Hotline Miami skills. I didn’t even notice they were there until my brother nudged me. Must have been stuck in one of those techno blasting, neon-fueled killing sprees.

BlasterGeo 7 September, 2013 @ 5:50 pm   99

It was 2 years ago at the theater me and 1 of my friends was with me and behind us 4-5 girls laughing like crazy when they saw us playing PSP in public.

FirLocke 7 September, 2013 @ 6:45 pm   100

I was invited to a friend’s house where he’d invited a lot of other people whom I didn’t know. Awkwardly, I was surrounded by friends playing their DS’s while I played MGS: Peace Walker on my PSP.

If only they had PSPs too, we could’ve done co-op!

MrGadetgu7 7 September, 2013 @ 6:48 pm   101

Not sure if I should say this but got arrested and have taken by cops custody for some questionnaire but did refused to speak and started to play on my vita till my lawyer bailed me out…. After few days I reliazed that WTH was I thinking.

jellyhedgehog 7 September, 2013 @ 7:22 pm   102

I always play my Vita when visiting my Mum. It stops me from having to listen to her and I tell her I’m reading on it so I don’t get moaned at. Education is key. She’ll live the rest of her life believing Sony make kindles.

crocks24 7 September, 2013 @ 8:37 pm   103

Cardiff

sabi8600 7 September, 2013 @ 9:03 pm   104

I would say that it has to be on the hospital with my PSP with a broken leg. Deffinitely helped me stay sane. I was there for a week, nothing to do and only two TV-channels. God it was good that I had my PSP. Or it might be on the way home to Denmark from England, where the plane was delayed very close to departure, so we stayed in the gate (The tunnel going from the terminal to the plane, think it is the gate, but not sure.) There I was playing Uncharted: Golden Abyss.

Sorry to go off topic guys. Beneath my post it says..

“Your comment is awaiting moderation.”

Can anyone tell me why it would say this. My other posts seem to show up ok. And none are offensive in anyway.

PHEEliNUX 7 September, 2013 @ 10:06 pm   106

@TVR-77

Have you posted many comments?
I also get that when i post like 6 posts or so, I guess it is an anti-spam system of some sorts

JD_LloydLewis 8 September, 2013 @ 12:03 am   107

I got tapped to a ceiling in my friends garage. Harsh prank but they let me pay my Vita so I was happy, although my hands did get pins and needles!

SammY_JC 8 September, 2013 @ 1:16 am   108

I haven’t got a huge list of strange places that I’ve played my Vita, but top of the list would have to be playing it while at a small restaurant/bar while a band was playing. I was dragged along by my family and didn’t really enjoy the genre of music, so I brought my Vita. We were close up to the band and I didn’t want to seem rude so I held it in its case, holding the one flap up so I could see the screen while half-heartedly playing MGS2. At the end the child of one of the band’s singers came and saw so I let him play. He played Jak and Daxter, and had a strange curiosity with jumping into the sea and letting that big fish thing eat him!

sixxdogg68 8 September, 2013 @ 4:31 am   109

Toilet. Play it all the time there.

TheVVolf 8 September, 2013 @ 9:31 am   110

2007 – Me & my PSP, playing games & watching RoboTech (still awesome!) in the shadow of the pyramids & the Sphinx in Cairo, Egypt & floating down the Nile on a riverboat hotel.
2010 – Outside Cape Town stadium, playing Fifa, while waiting for mates to arrive to go watch the ACTUAL Fifa World Cup game!

Bahamut_MW 8 September, 2013 @ 9:32 am   111

The most unusual place i played my psp must have been on top of a small rollercoaster that came to my hometown. There was this “small” technical problem and it just stopped there for about 30 minutes, some people were just freaking out but me and my pal (we were just kids so we didn’t care) just thought how to entertain ourselves while the problem was being fixed ’cause it was really boring to wait, so we just started playing wipeout taking turns. Had a really great time then.

Cataplexy-Pop 8 September, 2013 @ 10:41 am   112

I often travel to Nigeria for fieldwork and the airport in Lagos isn’t the best. The country’s riddled with power outages and having no power means efficiency approaches ‘none’ at an alarming rate, leaving short-tempered people queuing for hours in sweltering heat. Obviously, the Vita is a lifesaver whilst I wait in line…

But the battery doesn’t always survive the time I spend waiting.

At the intensive care department of the hospital!

Whilst doing a bit of sight-seeing in North Wales with my wife and son, we got caught in a storm of torrential rain.
Desperatley seeking shelter as none of us had coats or umbrellas, we came across what we now know to be the smallest Church in the British Isles (and perhaps the world!):
We checked to see if it was open and thankfully it was! We quickly went inside to escape the Heavy Rain and as we were waiting for the storm to die down I decided to take out my Vita, which I rarely leave home without, and fire up some Killzone Mercenary:
I finally finished mission 8 on Veteran difficulty that had been causing me some trouble the night before!
We looked outside and the clouds had parted, and the sun was shining!
Praise the sun (and the Vita!)!

For some reason my post has disappeared I think maybe because it has lots of links in it?
The links are pictures of me playing it in a strange place!

LordDagoth4 8 September, 2013 @ 3:23 pm   116

There’s an old Chinese man who owns a convenience store near my house. He’s really nice and friendly, but his English isn’t that good. One day I went to the store to buy some things and I had my Vita with me. When I got to the shop I realised that I’d forgotten what I was supposed to be getting and called home. No one picked up, so I just waited in the store and played on the Vita. He saw me using it and asked what it was. I told him it was a Vita. I cracked up at his response. “That not Veto. Veto what China do in United Nation.” I told him it was a Playstation Vita, and again he looked confused. He made a comment about how I shouldn’t play on stations because if I fall I could get hit by a train. I then held it up so he could see, and he seemed to understand when he saw the Sony logo in the top left corner. Some time in the next week he went and bought one for his grandson who’d been a mate of mine for years. It was just a really nice experience that I’ll probably remember for many years to come.

For me weirdest place to play vita was in movie theater when I was watching Oblivion. It was so boring that I almost slept while watching it but fortunately I had my vita in my bag so I just booted it up and started playing Guacamelee! Had to pay 10€ to play vita :D

I arrived home from a two day trip at around 2:00am but i was unable to get into my house so i decided to borrow my next door neighbours green house to hopefuly get some sleep, i couldnt sleep so i got the Vita out and played for hours until the battery ran out. It was very cold and very damp but the power of the Vita got me through and i actually had a really fun and immersive gaming session and Martin the green house owner though it was hilarious
I enjoyed myself that much i now borrow the Neighbours green house for an all night gaming session at the end of every month lol, sadly that last part is a joke but it would be fun and nobody would ever bother me there, i’m tempted :-).

hfred123 8 September, 2013 @ 7:17 pm   119

I once spent an entire day in a tanning booth playing MGS 3 HD on my vita. I didn’t even use the tanning booth for tanning, I just needed some quiet time. I completely lost track of time and wasn’t home before the evening.

Another place I frequently play is in my boat. I like to grab a beer or two, find a quiet place on the sea with little wind, turn of the engine and just lay there relaxing while I’m gaming. Here’s an image of this in action:

hfred123 8 September, 2013 @ 7:19 pm   120

Sorry, wrong link above, here is the right one:

artopand 8 September, 2013 @ 9:44 pm   121

The strangest place for me was my sofa while my PS3 was updating. Never thought I’d be playing a handheld while I was on my home console, but the Vita sleep mode is one of the best features; I even play When Vikings Attack sometimes while the PS3 is loading!

tony-juice 8 September, 2013 @ 11:04 pm   122

couple of places with my Vita.

fast every day in train, city bus on my way to work,

then I love to play Vita on saturday early morning in the main square of our city, seeing people walk around and the air is so fresh…lovely.

but maybe the most “strange” place was lying on my bed playing wipeout 2048 while my girlfriend…ehm…you know what I mean…ha ha :D
Unfortuantely, I wasn´t able to finish the game due the my girlfriends activity. :D

Shinoda_2qx 9 September, 2013 @ 3:43 am   123

Well, I work for a certain food retailer, which shall for my sake remain nameless, and I have a particularly tight manager. I mean, he doesn’t even like us to sit in the break room when on break, as he feels it is time that could be spent working (for free!). Well, I have on occasion, with my vita for company, taken my break (and the odd 5 or 10 minutes otherwise) to the cold room (freezer). You need to market some vita friendly gloves for people like me! ;)

monoliet 9 September, 2013 @ 5:14 am   124

in a submarine
when on holiday ( excursion )

MartinB105 9 September, 2013 @ 7:14 am   125

Last year, I was supposed to fly to visit family, but my flight got cancelled and I was redirected to another airport very late in the evening. The airline arranged for taxis to take us to our original destination, which was a three hour journey and left around 21:30.

Anyway, I ended up sitting in the middle in the back seat between two other passengers. Once the obligatory polite conversation had run dry after ten minutes or so, I decided to continue my game of Final Fantasy VII on my Vita.

Even at the lowest brightness setting, the Vita REALLY illuminates a small space like that. Hopefully it didn’t annoy the two other passengers too much. :D

I once played Capcom Classics vol.1 on my PSP in a traffic jam on the M25 (my wife was driving!). In fact, it took us so long to get through I completed Captain Commando.
That said, I blew up a Helghast tank on Saturday on the loo. I think my poor wife was quite concerned at what was going on in there!

On a train to Manchester last year and decided to take my Vita to the toilet with me as was concerned leaving it unattended. unfortunately I got a little wrapped up in Virtues Last Reward and spent longer than anticipated. Unfortunatley as I had my headphones on i didnt hear the ticket attendant banging on the door and obviously thinking it was unattended and locked by either a prank or glitch opened the door. I was greeted by 3 angry commuters and 2 teenagers that found this hilarious. I had to apologise sincerley and went back to my seat a dark shade of beetroot. I now have a strict 1 earphone rule while anywhere on the vita

I was on a 10 hours flight, packed with my Vita and Uncharted Golden Abyss. Had played it before to the midway of the game and thought this was the perfect time to complete the game. Started gaming and after one level I got to the part where you need to use REAR TOUCH PANEL with a real light to make a in-game paper visible. I was gutted because I didn’t have any flashlight etc. with me. After awhile grinning with my bad luck I got an idea to try the toilet’s ceiling lamp. It worked! It was bright enough and I could finally continue the amazing story of Uncharted. :)

Played at my grandparents house.
Believe me, it’s awkward when your grandpa is sitting next to you and you play Gravity Rush. The most awkward part was when the cutscene appeared of her being almost naked. *facepalm* He instantly asked me what the hell for kind of game that was.
He usually does this kind of stuff when your in his house and play with your handheld. By the way, did I mention that my grandparents are orthodox muslims. So for that, I find playing at my grandparents house more unusual that the toilet of the McDonalds.

Why I was driven to such desperate measures?
It was ramadan. On ramadan we usually go to our grandparents. The reason for me to bring a PSVita to their home is because it’s so boring there.

biyakub89 10 September, 2013 @ 7:05 am   130

I was playing my vita at a cemetery while walking and I guess I was to caught up in the game that I didn’t see the open grave site standing レビトラジェネリック
in front of me where I ended falling in for like 2 hours until my phone got signal。

TroubleMaker411 10 September, 2013 @ 7:29 am   131